Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say

Fatkraken posted:

Does GRRM plot in advance? Like does he have a list of a couple hundred chapters with a 3 line summary of each one taking us all the way to the end of the series, or is he literally making it up as he goes along with no plan or idea of what will happen next?

It's the second one isn't it.

quote:

AC: I’ve heard you say in interviews that you don't start out with an intricately mapped world, you set out with certain goals in mind and find them as they come. Does that lead to copious amounts of revision?

GM: Yes. In a word, yes. That's why the books are so slow. I trust my muse, I suppose, but sometimes my muse leads me down dead alleys and mugs me. So then I have to slap around my muse and get back to the main street, and the way that's well-lighted. Yeah, there's no denying that. But sometimes also, the story goes in unexpected directions, and it turns out to be much more interesting than the way that I originally envisioned it going. So sometimes it does make sense to follow that muse where it goes, but you never know until you try it. And that's what I'm doing.

http://www.austinchronicle.com/blogs/books/2013-08-29/lonestarcon-3-the-george-r-r-martin-interview/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

Genetic squares posted:

I've seen Robert Jordan getting hate for having the nerve to die before he finished his fantasy series.

His death improved the series though.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

Blind Melon posted:

Such a load of crap. I honestly cringe whenever I see this expressed. The series coming to an end improved the series.

The series was never going to come to an end if Jordan hadn't died and someone capable of ending things hadn't taken over, so you continue to re-enforce the original point.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

lifts cats over head posted:

Speaking of reading lists, I had two friends recommend me the Malazan Book of the Fallen series because they know I enjoyed aSoIaF. The specific reason is I shared with them how I really enjoy how much detail GRRM puts into the histories of the characters and the world. Have any of you read them and if so are they worth checking out?

i liked them considerably more than asoiaf plus he actually finished the series. the first book is the weakest but once you plow through it the story starts to slowly come together.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

Alchenar posted:

Yeah he knows the broad arch of the story and 'key points' in each character's arcs, it's just the in-between bits that are hazy. So the issue with the 'Meereenese knot' was not that GRRM didn't know what to do with the Meereen arc, it's that several characters had things that need to happen to them at Meereen and he needed to find a way for them all to arrive while not too obviously teleporting across the globe.

The show handles this by just blatantly not giving a gently caress about geography (hi Melissandre going to pick up Gendry)

Doltos posted:

I finished typing up 45 pages over the last three days but that doesn't mean they're any good

Malazan is arguably a better series than ASOIAF.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

It's sort of surprising to hear how optimistic he is about it. I'd have thought D&D would have told him their (clear) plans to make AFFC and ADWD last two seasons at the very most.

It's nice to hear that he genuinely thinks AWOW close enough that he wont be overtaken. That warms my blackened heart. Maybe the threat of being outpaced will whip his glacial arse into gear and he'll start writing at the same pace he did 15 years ago. Maybe.

Or he's just delusional. He floats ideas like doing a prequel season or taking a year off every time this comes up even though D&D and HBO have both explicitly said they absolutely won't do either of those things.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

1: Intro to Dorne. Beginning of Kingsmoot. Arya and Tyrion land across the Narrow Sea. Meereen killings become untenable. Awkwardness on the Wall.
2: End of Kingsmoot. Arya begins her training. Tyrion starts down the river, meets Connington. Cersei as Queen Regent asserts herself. Samwell and Gilly set sail for Oldtown.
3: Dany is convinced to marry Hizhdar. Arianne tries to steal Myrcella. Victarion and Euron take the Shield Islands. Davos dispatched to Manderly.
4: Victarion sets off for Dany. Jaime goes to deal with the Tullys. Tyrion has a creepy encounter on the river. Dany’s marriage to Hizhdar. Davos meets Manderly.
5: Arianne is imprisoned. Intro to Quentyn. Samwell runs into Arya in Braavos. Alayne and Littlefinger leave the Vale. Brienne encounters the Gravedigger.
6: Cersei is imprisoned. Arya gives the gift to Dareon. Jon takes in the Wildlings. Stannis sets off to take Winterfell as Manderly arrives there.
7: Tyrion runs into Jorah. Arya goes blind. Samwell and Gilly bump uglies. Jon sends Mance on a mission. Cersei pleads with the High Sparrow.
8: Tyrion and Jorah set sail for Meereen. Killings at Winterfell as winter hits. Killings in the Riverlands by the Brotherhood. Plague hits outside of Meereen.
9: Tyrion arrives in Meereen. Connington arrives in Westeros. Cersei’s walk of shame. Victarion sacrifices virgins at sea. Brienne gets taken by the Brotherhood. Dany flies out of the fighting pit on Drogon.
10: Barristan tries to hold on to power for Dany. Quentyn gets burned. Sam and Gilly arrive in Oldtown. Brienne finds Jaime in the Riverlands. “Arya” smuggled out of Winterfell. Arya regains her sight. Jon gets stabbed. Winter comes for Kevan Lannister.

I doubt they do the kingsmoot since that is introducing a bunch of extra characters when arguably only Victarian is needed and even he could possibly be combined with someone else because all they really need is his ships. Quentyn probably gets cut because he is useless and annoying and they just need someone to free the dragons. Dorne might get cut because it's introducing another setting and a bunch of new characters when almost none of them really do anything and if they cut Quentyn than there is really little point to Dorne.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

Gianthogweed posted:

And if you're going to have someone free the dragons it might as well be a developed character like Quentyn rather than some nameless shlub.

Except Quentyn is only a developed character if you spend a season developing him, which means hiring an actor and spending screentime for an event that doesn't appear to have much by way of a pay off. I don't really see any strong reasons to actually spend time in Dorne because their whole plot is they are plotting and Doran isn't good at it. Most of the plot can be explain through Aegon/Connington and maybe Varys can have a cheesy exposition chat with someone. It isn't necessarily elegant, but neither is Dorne.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

If they do cut people from Dorne, it'll probably to condense the Sand Snakes down to just the older ones plus Arellas.

I don't remember any of the Sand Snakes doing anything that necessitates their existence.

E: the convoluted machinations they went through to replace Edric Storm with Gendry makes it pretty clear that D&D are going to cut or replace with existing characters a lot of the minor, single purpose characters that GRRM introduced in the last couple books.

Zamboni Jesus fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Mar 17, 2014

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

ShaqDiesel posted:

"Is Bran going to die?"

Also, no, the sand snakes don't do anything interesting in the books so far but apparently they will going forward. I hope they get fleshed out a bit in TWOW as they currently come off as a girl gang from a Tarantino movie.

If they eventually do something, than D&D can have them be mentioned a few times in relation to Oberyn this season, but they don't need to exist for any of the story that exists yet. Also, on what authority do you say they do something important going forward? GRRM thinks every one of his characters is important to the plot.

meristem posted:

Like some people above said, I also think that with Dorne, the best they can do is cut the Quentyn travel-cam and condense the Myrcella kidnapping in such a way that she doesn't even leave the initial place. Basically, preserve the meat of the plot, just make it more efficient. Arianne is unhappy, tries to do something about it, Doran stops her and tells her about Quentyn. Introduce Quentyn at this point as he introduces himself to Dany. Quentyn gets toasted, but Dorne plots on.

It's a lot of pages cut while preserving the important stuff.

I don't find any of that important. It introduces a bunch of characters who most of the watchers don't know who they are or have forgotten existed to do a bunch of things that essentially fail and don't mean anything.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

Andrew Verse posted:

His death made Daenerys' return to Westeros a little bit more difficult. Her first sign of an actual ally and she brushes him off, and then he ends up dead. It's also one more notch on the "she's not great at politics" column.

And who knows what wild dragons are gonna do.

She doesn't need more complications, her story needs to advance somehow. We already got the message that she isn't good at the politics.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

This might be the dumbest argument this thread has ever had.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

radlum posted:

I hope this means we'll get the showrunners or someone else from HBO to say that it's seven seasons and it's over and GRRM has no say in it.

George's delusions will not be stymied by reality

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

escape artist posted:

I know! He's never appeared on page and he rocks.

Almost as if there is a correlation...

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

The pragmatic move for Ned after finding out that Cersei's children were products of incest would have been to do nothing. Also the pragmatic move would have been not to investigate the matter in the first place.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

Drunkboxer posted:

He was investigating Jon Arryn's death.

Yeah and he found enough to make it pretty clear what all had taken place fairly quickly, he should have stopped there

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

Drunkboxer posted:

"Hey this weaselly evil family's gross gallivanting caused my beloved father figure to be killed. Welp better pack it in and not try to address this, as I am an incredible pussy"

--Brilliant political strategist Ned "Smarty-pants" Stark

He knew what happened, at some point he could have acted on it, but he had no allies really who would back him up and his actions all basically inexorably led straight to his demise

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

Doltos posted:

His ally is the King of Westeros who fought side by side with him as best friends while they liberated the entire land of Westeros from the men who killed his father, brother, and sister, who was also to be wed to Robert.

I think that's a pretty rock solid foundation to build your case against Cersei with.

CapnAndy posted:

Except for King Robert, Renly, Stannis, and Barristan, yeah, dude was just totally twisting in the wind. Unified support from the royal family and the Kingsguard, not to mention his own immense power, how ever was he supposed to get poo poo done with that?

Stannis was gone, Barristan was given the boot, Renly was mostly interested in making himself king-which Ned was not amenable to since Stannis was the proper heir, Robert was worthless, the Kingsguard was owned by the Lannisters and Ned's power was almost entirely in the north. Ned didn't really have any allies who were worth much to him in King's Landing.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

Icesler posted:

Quiznos just put out this rather humerous House of Cards and Game of Thrones mash up but they spoil the purple wedding at the end. Way to go jerks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFk0T3ifF48

poor stannis, isn't even considered important enough to get killed off in a parody video even though he is an actual claimant to the throne

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

BlindSite posted:

People keep suggesting they're going to jettison story lines but it's simply not feasible for the story to make sense once the next book comes out. Victarion, the dornish and euron seem poised to ave a huge impact.

It's feasible because they just have to give those plot machinations to characters who already exist or at least merge them into fewer characters. One possible fix is to have Balon send Victarion off before dying and eliminate Euron and the Kingsmoot completely. Doing Melisandre's leeches thing commits them to killing Balon but I don't know that they need to kill him immediately either.

Basically all the Dorne stuff is probably unnecessarily confusing and mostly pointless in advancing the plot (since it doesn't really go anywhere). At the very least Quentyn seems unlikely.

I do think the show needs to do something that GRRM failed to do in books 4 and 5 and that is gesture toward people coming back together even if it isn't actually anything more than a gesture.

Zamboni Jesus fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Apr 1, 2014

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

Friendly Factory posted:

They can't get rid of Euron or Quentyn, that's silly. Euron is a king and Quentyn is the whole reason Dorne will fight against Dany. They'll get rid of all of the fluff Iron Islands lords and condense Oberyn's children down to like 1 or 2, but they won't take out half of one of the books.

I can't think of anything that Euron has done thus far to make him indispensable to the plot or worth giving screetime to. Quentyn isn't remotely necessary to make Dorne side against Dany.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

This episode really made me sad that Rory McCann/The Hound have only a few episodes left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

Midnight City posted:

I dunno, I could see him staying until the very end of the season, I don't think they're going to want to film all the insanity that is Arya's adventures across Westeros and Essos for budget reasons, so what they'll take out they'll just fill in with more of her and Sandor.

I assume they will keep them together for this season and save Braavos for next, that is still only 9 more episodes max though and i assume they won't be in next week or episode 9, so probably more like 7 remaining episodes of Sandor Clegane.

• Locked thread