Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Go lick a dog's ass til it bleeds.
They aren't ditching Lady Stoneheart. Who else is going to lynch Jaime? :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

A single? They did a whole album. And it rocks.

First The National, now Sigur Ros, what is it with this thread and hating good music?

Different strokes for different folks, man. For me, post-rock begins and ends with Mogwai (who rock).

I think a lot of the reason that Sigur Ros is involved with this season is because they film in Iceland..Hopefully, we get Bjork in a future season :getin:

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Since we're going 'round and 'round with the who-started-the-war-actually-for-real argument again, I guess I should bring up Lysa Arryn's secret letter to Cately where she falsely accuses the Lannisters of murdering Jon Arryn. Ya know, just to complicate things and muddy the waters.

Littlefinger! :argh:

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Mortabis posted:

No I mean, like, a gay pedophile of prepubescents, like Sandusky. Raping little boys is just so much more sensational than teenage girls.

Also, since everyone in Westeros is into 13 year old girls as it is this would actually set him apart.

...the gently caress?

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Mortabis posted:

I'm not sure what you're confused about, was something I said unclear?

Maybe I'm not understanding you, but you seem to be conflating homosexuality and pedophilia :shrug:

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Friendly Factory posted:

Have you ever actually seen someone with this opinion? I haven't. The Red Wedding is the most climactic season ender we're going to get before the final one.

The Red Wedding happened in the penultimate episode of last season.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

By the same principle, nobody would notice or care if Tyrion was recast.

Much like if you just stopped posting.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Hey guys it's ok to stop clutching your pearls. The show is an HBO production (in case you forgot), and they can put crucified kids on TV if they want :colbert:. It's also a galvanizing moment for Dany - leaving it out would be kind of A Big Deal.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Tom Smykowski posted:

Why's Aegon a Blackfyre?

Because a black iron sign for an inn fell into a river and turned red from rust. That's pretty much it.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Why does this thread periodically flip the gently caress out over violence, sex, and nudity in the show? Did you not read the same books I read?

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

computer parts posted:

Once it airs, it doesn't count as spoiled anymore. Or rather, it counts as spoiled the same way Empire Strikes Back has been spoiled by cultural osmosis.

A Storm of Swords was published 13 years ago :v:.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

Also, he's still rotting -- he's preserved by the cold, sure, but they make a big deal about how the blood pooling in his extremities is a thing he has to deal with, so it's not like he's getting magically kept whole. There's a time limit on how long ago he could have died that, I think, precludes it being the Night King or anyone truly ancient.

Aren't other Wights described as having black hands?

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

jsoh posted:

A bunch of fat stewards with daggers. The assassination is a clusterfuck. If ghost was there or literally anyone friendly to Jon they would have been cut down really fast.

It's kind of interesting that Jon made the same fatal mistake his "brother" Robb made: failing to keep his pet direwolf at his side at all times despite being repeatedly counselled to not do that.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

So, basically...reasons?

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

escape artist posted:

Reasons... that are in direct contradiction to your giant reach of a statement.

They were both oath breakers. That's why they were killed. Not because they didn't keep their pets around them 100% of the time.

Uhh, that's not at all a reach, and you aren't contradicting me. If Ghost was around, Jon wouldn't have been back-stabbed by his brothers like he was. Melissandre warned him multiple times that he was surrounded by enemies and to never go anywhere without his magical familiar. He choose not to follow her advice for...reasons that the narrative demanded. This choice allowed his enemies to get closer to him than was otherwise possible. Does this not at all remind you of the Red Wedding where Robb cages Grey Wind because he's freaking the gently caress out and attacking the Freys?

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

Stannis "kills" Robb depending on how much faith you put in leeches and fire.

I really don't think it's that literal. I think it's symbolism along the lines of Houses Stark and Baratheon are going to destroy each other. Also, I think at that point in the novels, Melissandre's powers were more limited. Yes, she (or Stannis, w/e) did use magic to kill Renly and Cortnay Penrose, but I'm pretty sure she merely saw the deaths of Robb, Joffrey, and Balon Greyjoy dying in her fires and then used that foreknowledge to manipulate Stannis with a bullshit leech ritual.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

TOOT BOOT posted:

Cersei killing Robert was the sketchiest murder plan ever. So many ways that could have gone wrong for her.

Drunk as poo poo boar hunting is probably dangerous as hell.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Based on Bran's dream, are Jaime Lannister and Sandor Clegane destined to fight Robert Strong?

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Alekanderu posted:

This is nonsense. There are many excellent scenes in the show that didn't come from GRRM's pen: the scenes with Tywin and Arya, Tywin's peptalk with Jaime and Robert and Cersei's chat, just to name a few.

Counterpoint: Play with 'er arse.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Everyone complains that scene is gratuitous, over the top, and distracting. But that's the point, Baelish is explaining what the hell he's doing, but all anyone talks about is that loving line! It's Littlefinger incarnate.

The exposition is what I didn't like about it. I just used the quote that everyone remembers.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

You know, I can't even formulate an answer to explain to certain parties as to why Talisa and Robb's romance being on screen was actually necessary.

Didn't GRRM admit in an interview or a commentary that not giving Robb any POV chapters or not having any POV characters with him during his campaign in the Westerlands was a huge mistake? Seems like a pretty good answer to me.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

In It For The Tank posted:

However, there is foreshadowing that Arya will cross the Narrow Sea on Dany's fleet

There you go again. :stare: Please, elaborate.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

In It For The Tank posted:

The chapter where Arya crosses the Trident with Sandor near Lord Harroway's Town in ASOS.

The price of passage across the Trident (the Narrow Sea) is three dragons (Dany). The ferry features horseheads carved on either end (the Dothraki). Halfway across they are almost capsized by a giant log that Arya notes looks like a Kraken (the Ironborn fleet).

These don't seem like coincidences.

I make no claims about being the most attentive reader, but I hardly miss everything, either. Is this something you picked up on your own or was it something you found in a blog?

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

I thought the one of the big motivations for Balon Greyjoy invading the North was to take revenge on Ned Stark putting down his rebellion and basically ending the traditional Ironborn way of life: reaving. I think there is even a line about there being such a lack of thralls that the Ironborn themselves have to debase themselves and sow crops and work in the mines.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Narmi posted:

Aemon said that the dragons are genderless. Maybe he means they're intersex or just missing sexual organs at birth, then develop into a gender later somehow, in which case a difference in gender might explain their behaviour.

Gender and sex are not interchangeable synonyms :eng101:. Gender is a human social construct.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

fleshweasel posted:

:pwn: are you going to get this pedantic on discussions of the sexual organs of Dany's dragons

Dragons Animals aren't gendered. Deal with it. :colbert:

e: I forgot all about AleXXXstraza from WoW

Marijuana fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 15, 2013

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

They're minerals.

:golfclap:

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Mike N Eich posted:

A little earlier I saw the thread was discussing the inconsistency with the Ironborn and the "Iron price" and I was just paging through CoK and came across a curious bit. Tyrion comes across a letter from Balon Greyjoy proposing an alliance with the Lannisters as long as they recognize his independence and his supremacy over the North. But, uh, what? Balon carries on this long held grudge against the Starks and the forces that smashed his first rebellion, but not the """Baratheons""" (false as Joffrey may be) holding the Iron Throne? And any sort of alliance in the first place seems very anti-Iron Price. I don't know this just seemed odd to me, and I don't know if it gets mentioned again.

I think it's a simple case of the enemy of my enemy is my friend. The focus of his ire is directed at the Starks because Ned led the forces that crushed the Greyjoy Rebellion, killed his sons, and took his remaining son hostage. Also, I don't think the Iron Price ever applied to anything as complex kingdoms at war.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Trivia posted:

It can't be worse than some of the hosed up poo poo I had to read in the books is it?

I mean, the rape scene with Gregor was pretty terrible. :gonk:

And Sam's fat pink mast and Gilly's lactating tits was pretty hilarious. :stare:

Does it get worse? :ohdear:

I'll imitate that bad thread for you in this post:

"lol lemoncakes. raep. lol"

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

The author of the Winterfell Huis Clos isn't a native English speaker.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

escape artist posted:

I can't wait to see how they do the Mag the Mighty/Donal Noye death scene.

Have they even established Donal Noye as a character yet? They gave his lines in S1 to Tyrion iirc.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Phew. I guess now we have objective proof as to why ADWD is the worst one.

All it proves is that GRRM needs a better editor :colbert:.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

"A Lannister Always Pays His Debts" would be more appropriate than "Hear Me Roar," IMO

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Alchenar posted:

There are hints dropped in her POV chapters in Dance that she's old.

For all the work she's put in trying to wake a dragon in Westeros, she's going to look like a bit of a chump when word finally reaches her of Dany and her dragons all the way back where her religion has its base. At some point someone has to ask her "If you wanted to wake a dragon so much, didn't you think to go find the last Targaryen"

Yeah, but her explicit mission is to find reborn Azor Ahai. Dragons only enter into it because it will help Stannis win the war.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

The North doesn't have knights, you dingdong.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Bacon Drew posted:

Him being Coldhands doesn't really make sense since Coldhands is old as gently caress. If he does turn back up Stannis is probably going to try and make him Lord of Winterfell though.

No one knows for sure how old Coldhands is supposed to be. People have speculated that he's really old because the Child of the Forest (Leaf?) told Bran that the Others "killed him a long time ago." Bran has never seen his face, so he could very well be Benjen. IMO I think it's a really dumb conclusion to jump to just because someone made a post that the Children of the Forest live a really long time ergo Coldhands can't be Benjen.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

It's almost as if there is a reason that Bran has yet to see Coldhands' face (because GRRM doesn't want to spoil the mystery just yet).

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Agreed. The fate of Benjen is one of the series' earliest mysteries (I think it was first mentioned in Jon's third or fourth chapter in A Game of Thrones) that has yet to be resolved, and GRRM is really into Chekov's Gun.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

OP please rename thread to Game of Thrones Spoiler Thread: Only Bad Jokes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Jon Snow isn't dead if only because GRRM is running out of books to keep killing his "protagonists" :colbert:

• Locked thread