Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
Any news on Illen Payne or does he not show up until season 5? I don't really remember the books too much. I heard the actor that plays him has cancer pretty bad so I assume they will have to recast him. He ends up being a fairly important character, but I guess they could just ditch him all together and maybe have Jamie train some other way. I hope not though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

Lovechop posted:

Sadly the producers have said that they're not going to recast Ilyn, GuyDudeBroMan.

So does that mean the character will not show up again?

How does Jamie train? The whole point of training with Ilyn was because he couldn't speak and tell people about how terrible Jamie is left handed.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

rypakal posted:

Is Barristan really fat or is that a stunt double?

For some ungodly reason they always dress him up in this strange armor that makes him look like he has a huge beer gut. I really wish they could design some more flattering armor for him. I mean they don't need to add in abs and nipples a la Batman armor, but at least make it not so frumpy.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

webmeister posted:

I think it's just the angle and the lighting that are making Barristan look fat in that photo.

He looks fat as poo poo through all of season 3 though.

I blamed it on the stupid armor the wardrobe department decided to give him, not on him actually being fat, but maybe I'm wrong. Look at what he wears in season 3 though. That chest armor looks like a huge beer gut. It's too round and smooth. He needs some Jorah style plate mail ASAP.

Wait, doesn't Danny like reward him with a suit of platemail or something after he helps win Meeren? Maybe he will look badass later on then.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

Piell posted:

Don't you just hate Jeffrey?

Yeah he sucks. But at least Kalisi is awesome. I just hope her and Joel Morman hook up already!

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
Are there any new Greyjoys cast yet or are they not going to show up until season five?

I kinda like the idea of a new badass every season. Syrio -> Jaquen -> Red Viper -> Victarion -> Strong

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

Jedit posted:

So who was the new badass in Season 3?

Grey Worm?

I wish Bariston would reach badass level but so far he just stands around looking fat

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

Cerci's oval office

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
I still like the idea of Danny slowly being corrupted by power/inbred madness and eventually turning into a bad guy, so that when she finally does take the throne its a "bittersweet victory". Pretty sure GRRM has said that there isn't really a happy ending in the classic sense so that kinda fits.

She can eventually get stabbed in the back by Jorah after she says "Burn them. Burn them all"

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

limeincoke posted:

No poo poo. I seriously don't understand why they ever go on ranging. They're on top of a 500 foot walk. Who cares what the wildlings are doing? For a severely undermanned force they sure do like sending their best men on pointless missions that carry a high chance of death. What was the point of the giant 500 man mission that got everyone killed? Just walk around and hope they stumble onto something interesting?

The nights watch are the Romans manning Hadrians wall in Britain. The Romans sent a legion north of the wall and it got killed and they made 2 movies about it that both bombed, thus the Nights Watch has to send a ranging north of the wall as well.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

jsoh posted:

He should never come back. He deserved his death.

Agreed.

If Jon Snow has to come back to life I hope he stops being a POV character and becomes some sort of evil monster like Lady Stoneheart.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

Irish Joe posted:

drat I love this new Mountain.

The problem is that none of the non-book reader viewers know who the mountain is anymore. I hope they pack in as many scenes with him as possible in the early part of this season and develop his character some more. Maybe another retelling of how he burned his brothers face. Hell, I bet most people don't even know the hound is his brother. Although I guess the "previously on Game of Thrones" clips will show the Littlefinger/Sansa chat in season 1. That might help a bit.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

Fruity Gordo posted:

I would like more gay poo poo in GoT to be quite honest. Watching straight people rape each other all the time gets tedious.

You should watch Sons of Anarchy.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

God dammit, Bariston still has his unflattering pot belly armor on. Why can't they get him some flattering armor that makes him look semi-intimidating. The stupid chestpiece makes him look like a fat old man.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

jsoh posted:

it probably has something to do with him being a fat old man

True, but at least his KingsGuard armor didn't make him look like one. He actually looked like a knight. In this he just looks like brown Santa Claus.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
I wonder who will kill Mag the Mighty (king of the giants) at the Battle of the Wall. Donal Noye doesn't exist in the show, does he? If they are going to spend money on a big fight with a CGI giant, they have to at least have a named character kill him and not some generic extra.

I better not be Jon Snow. Who could it be though? Grenn or Doloras Edd?

I guess they could just cut that part from the show entirely, but they already spent money on a CGI giant, so they pretty much have to show at least one of them take part in the battle. It wouldn't make sense for no giants to be there.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
Ok I totally dig this idea of having a big name actor play the part of Quintin. That would be so amazing.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
So the show went and took a theory that was heavily implied in the book but never actually shown or confirmed (Theon's castration) and ran with it and put the entire thing right on the show. I'm wondering if maybe they will do the same with Oberon poisoning Tywin.

If not, I'm sure they will do it with the Hound and the Monastery.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

rypakal posted:

Theon the dickless wonder was an "unconfirmed" book theory about as much as Renly being gay was.

True. But it is possible to read the books and not know Renly was gay or Theon was dickless until someone tells you and then everything clicks and it all makes sense. A lot of people were like that. It is 100% impossible to watch the show and not know Theon is dickless and Renly has 1 dick too many.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

jsoh posted:

Renly had the exact correct amount of dicks.

Imagine if the Iron Throne was made of dicks :allears:

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, he's quite the character in the books, and Rory McCann does a pretty solid job, which only makes it that much more enthralling.

The only problem is that his teeth drive me nuts. I can't watch that scene where he meets Beric Dondarion without staring at his teeth the entire time. Get some loving floss bro, what the hell :psyduck:

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Why wouldn't Stoneheart be in this season? I think there's a good chance.

Well half the people in this thread thought Stoneheart would be the final scene from Season 3 and were a little disappointed when it wasn't.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

timp posted:

Yeah, probably her getting chained foot to hand with Hizdahr. If they play up her romance with Daario, filming her decision to marry Hizdahr could be worthy of a season-ender.

Interesting side story about that, when I first read that passage in ADWD I thought it was a big oh poo poo moment when they emerged in front of the crowd with her hand chained to his foot. For some reason I thought the reveal was that they would be chained that way forever in some bizarre Meereenese tradition, hence the built up disappointment from Daario that she was getting married. It explained why he was bummed that they'd never get to gently caress again because I couldn't imagine why they wouldn't just continue to do it anyways behind Hizdahr's back. I mean, it was a political marriage anyways. Robert did it, I'm sure lots of past Targaryan rulers did it, what's the big deal?

I think the love triangle between Jorah Danny and Dario will make up most of this season and the finale of Danny's storyline will be Jorah getting banished. The Hizdahr/Dario romance stuff can be in Season 5.

Unless they already cast Hizdahr for season 4?

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
I think the Danny, Dario, Jorah love triangle would work a lot better when it's on screen by itself before Hizdar/Quinton/Victarion/etc all show up wanting to marry her. Give Danny time to gently caress Dario and fall in love with him before all the hundred different suitors show up.

Leave season 4 for the Twilight style plot of: "OMG who is she going to choose? Jacob or Edward? I sure hope she ends up with Edward, but Jacob is just sooo drat sexy!! :j: " Get that plot line done and resolved entirely in season 4. End it with Jorah getting banished and Danny loving Dario.

Then we can use season 5 for the more interesting plot of "so who is Danny actually going to choose to marry? Will she marry for love, for power, or for stability?". That can take up most of season 5.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
Let me take out my awkward Goon checklist:

[] Fat
[] Beard
[] Suspenders
[] Non-standard hat

All he is missing is the wacky zany t shirt.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

Irish Joe posted:

Is there any significance to Jon's parentage at this point in the narrative? Jon's dead, the monarchy is in ruins and anybody who still cares about lineage already has a pet Targ in their pocket.

Well I guess that depends on whats up with Howland Reed, if and when we ever meet him. He is really the only person alive who knows Jons parentage, and Reed isn't even a character yet. I guess maybe he could help lead the Northern rebellion with Jon Targarian-Stark at its head, but so far Howland Reed is mysteriously absent.

I guess it's also possible for other people (Melisandre) or even Jon himself to discover his parentage via *magic* or something. That could happen too I guess.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

notaspy posted:

To say a major show like this wouldn't take a break because putting the actors on ice for a year or so would gently caress them over is a nonsense, double for HBO, see the wire and the sopranos for example, who used these breaks to give their actors a chance to flex their new found fame to set themselves up for post these shows or just to, you know, take a break. Breaking bad is another example that springs to mind.

I don't think they will take a break but to say no chance is bollocks.

For the vast majority of actors on the show, GOT is by far the most popular thing they have ever been in, or will ever be in in the future. This is true for at least 95% of the cast. Sure, a few might do something "bigger" later on, but for most of the cast GOT is the pinnacle of their acting career.

That said, taking a year off is a terrible idea. No way you will keep 100% of the cast committed. People gotta work, and as much as it pains me to say it, "being on Game of Thrones" might not be the end goal of every single actor on the show.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
I like to picture the Song of Ice and Fire with like giant eagles wings, and singing lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd, with like an angel band and I'm in the front row and I'm hammered drunk.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

It's Greg Clegane, he'll kill anyone, anytime, anywhere. No reason necessary.

He once killed a man for snoring

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

Febreeze posted:

Am I the only one who thinks stoneheart might play a bigger role in this season than just an end scene? So far in the books all she's done has been get resurected, kill some Freys and "hang" Brienne. She has very few appearances and feels like something the writers could easily make a bigger factor. I think if they have her resurect in the final scene it'll be strange, because it'll be a full season of nothing and that is a lot of time passing then they just go back to these characters we have forgotten about for gut punch. It would be nice, but I wonder if they wouldn't maybe put her resurrection as a season opener, then have whispers and rumors throughout the season of her party causing poo poo behind the scenes, enough to tease people. Then, in the final episode, show her Frey killing scene, revealing just how hosed up she is now.

They probably won't, but it seems silly to keep Michelle Fairley around in promos and poo poo if she's only going to show up in one scene.

Well you can't really devote entire scenes of dialog to a revenge zombie with no vocal cords, that can only gargle a few words when she holds the gaping hole in her neck closed. That sort of limits what you can do with the character on screen. I think most of zombie cat's "dialog" will be done with evil 1,000 yard stares of burning of hate, pointing of index fingers, and a few garbled sentence fragments.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
They also have to retell the whole Rhaegar plot and how Ellia of Dorn fits into it. Something that I don't think has really been mentioned on the show so far. I feel like they mentioned Rhaegar by name once in season 1 and never again. Did they even mention Ellia by name?

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

Steve2911 posted:

I just hate that they killed Irri and that they let Doreah live just to have her gently caress Dany over and be killed by her.

It's not nice. :(

No tears for Rakharo?

I understand they like to keep the cast as small as possible since there are way too many characters to keep track of as it is, but it would have been kinda fun to have some of the very minor characters stick around for a while, even if they have nothing to do and no lines.

I guess its hard to keep actors around for no reason though. Most people are off to the next project. Hopefully surly old man Dothraki guy will return in season 4. I guess he has been around a while.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

Doltos posted:

Here's the problem with writing fantasy. Almost every time you sit down a read a fantasy book, it's pretty formulaic. The king is either evil or good or dies or is in the process of getting assassinated by another evil kingdom. Both these kingdoms have other kingdoms that balance them out, and all of them have an external threat that means they have to work together to beat it. Most often this takes the form of a barbarian invasion, or a goblin and orc one, or demons, etc.

I call this the "Warcraft 3 ending" and it is absolutely going to happen in GOT.

Former moral enemies the Wildlings (orcs) team up with the humans (7 kingdoms) and the Night Elves (Daneries) in order to beat the Forsaken (white walkers) at the end.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

e X posted:

Oh come on, "secret organization that protects the world from an unknown thread while the authorities wont listen" is hardly the most unique plot ever.

See Men in Black, and virtually every vampire movie ever made.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
Dany going insane and becoming a force for evil could happen ("burn them, burn them all" right before Jorah/Darrio stabs her in the back). Also Melisandre and her whole religion being some secret front for an evil power could also happen. For the longest time I was convinced Melisandre was full of poo poo and her whole religion angle was just cover to explain why she has magic powers, and in reality she wasn't even human. Maybe like a demon invader (perhaps even the true controller of the White Walkers) or something like that. I mean she sure did a lot to sow chaos in the 7 kingdoms thus softening them up for a white walker invasion.

That theory turned out to be kind of bunk because we later learn that Melisandre absolutely believes what she preaches and thinks she is doing good. She could still be being mislead and manipulated though.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

twistedmentat posted:

Like somehow Arya will end up there too. I fully expect the next part of her story is to reject the faceless man training, because she cannot stop being Arya Stark, and to be a true faceless man you need to be nobody and everybody.

I think its pretty much a given that Arya will "become a faceless man for real" and lose her original self, but it will be the reunion with her wolf that will finally knock her out of it and bring her back to being Arya Stark. Possibly during a mission to assassinate Sansa or something crazy like that. You know, the final mission that the faceless men will give her to prove that Arya Stark is dead forever.

Maybe Arya will even kill Stoneheart too out of mercy or something.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
Do the Brazen Beasts even have to be in the show? Removing 90% of the mercenary companies is probably a good idea. They got rid of the Brave Companions and those guys had waaay more importance the most of the rest of them. They kept Daario's band in just as a means to introduce Daario himself and I doubt we will see much more of them. They probably just got assimilated into Dany's army anyways.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

Xenoborg posted:

They got rid of the Brave Companions because they were confusing with their loyalty switches. On the S3 commentaries some of the prop guys point out how much easier filming with unlissied with full face masks was because you needed much fewer people, so I imagine they'll jump on that again, even if its never mentioned and just used as background guards.

They have done a pretty drat good job with giving each faction its own costume so you can immediately tell where a soldiers loyalties lie just by looking at him. "Yep, those are Lanister men right there! Run Arya run!". That kind of thing.

I think you are right that we are going to need at least 1 faction who's costume says "Definitely NOT loyal to Dany, but not currently her enemy either" to hang out in Meeren next to her Unsullied to show that she doesn't really "own" the city fully yet.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

computer parts posted:

A lot of fan fiction sucks because it's clearly an author insert into the world (e.g., "American exchange student to Hogwarts!"). Another issue is that characters just aren't written consistently. You might have a guy who looks like (e.g.) Harry Potter, and has Harry Potter's name, but he doesn't reference anything about the character of Harry Potter.

But yeah, a lot of it is probably just that people can't write, or can't do basic writing tools (like pacing).

I wonder what has a worse track record. Fan Fiction or 3rd party "new content" mods for story driven video games.

"Hey guys, I came up with a totally new plot line in this mod, complete with new fully fleshed out NPC's and even a brand new romance subplot!!" - Has this ever been done before and not sucked total and complete rear end? I assume fan fiction is the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
Episode 10 is probably the "people leaving" episode.

- Sansa and Littlefinger leaving for the Eyrie
- Tyrion sneaking out on a boat
- Arya leaving for Bravos
- Sam getting sent to Oldtown

It could even have:
- Jorah getting banished
- Brianne and Pod taking off

Although those two might happen a few episodes earlier.

• Locked thread