Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Gorn Myson posted:

So why did they recast Daario?

probably because the old one was crap.

Also I love the new thread title, it's just close enough to be a spoiler that some people are going to get super butthurt but it's such an obscure pun that it doesn't actually spoil anyone who is show only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

hobbesmaster posted:

Prediction: Nobody is going to lynch Jaime.

So HBO is rapidly running out of books, is GRRM going to actually have to write the last two in a timely manner for contractural reasons?

PS, a lot of people are misspelling ~~~Daario~~~ ;)

Does GRRM plot in advance? Like does he have a list of a couple hundred chapters with a 3 line summary of each one taking us all the way to the end of the series, or is he literally making it up as he goes along with no plan or idea of what will happen next?

It's the second one isn't it.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

There's also the matter of Jaime's fever dream

Note that this is before Jaime rescues Brienne from the bear pit and before he gets the sword from Tywin, so there are definitely some prophetic elements there, he also has this dream when he sleeps on a weirwood stump, what's more it's a Fever Dream so it's clearly important in GRRM terms.

Does anyone have the full text of Brienne's fever dream from just before she meets Lady Stoneheart? Would be worth comparing.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Unkempt posted:

How about this

Split the beard in three and make it blue. If ~*~Daario~*~ isn't gonna have it give it to SOMEONE.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

They'd be Jaime's bastards.

Maggy's prophecy is clear enough, Cersei has 3 children, Robert 16. The other 8 bastards have not been encountered and it's safe to assume that Robert himself didn't know about them either, it certainly doesn't count the incest children among Robert's children.

Is the child Cersei and Robert had together (the one with black hair who died as a baby) a show-only invention?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

quote:

Greyjoy - We do not sow - RAPE RAPE RAPE RAPE RAPE

"We do not sow" is a more extended metaphor than just being about agriculture. "We do not sow, we only reap", ie we let everyone else do the boring stuff like making things and growing things, then steal the product of their hard work. That's what the whole Iron Price poo poo is about, they're an entire society of career criminals.

It is not a route towards making yourself well liked, the only reason the entire region hasn't been completely depopulated is that it's so loving hostile and the Iron Islanders have absolute naval superiority in home waters.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Grendels Dad posted:

Dorne, too. Man, despite being filthy rich the Lannisters are chumps, kinda.

The clever one died on a toilet, after being shot by the OTHER clever one who wasn't sufficiently invested in The Game due to not being allowed to play it to his full potential because the guy he shot on the toilet hated him and had his wife gang raped. Cersei is poo poo at the game, but whether that's due to an inherent lack of intelligence or a lovely upbringing is anyone's guess.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
The Primary Antagonist is the entire Aristocracy and the system that means if one rich guy kills one other rich guy, it's suddenly perfectly OK to fling a hundred thousand innocent farmers and fishermen into a meatgrinder. Even the "good guys" are willing to set in motion events which will kill tens of thousands for the sake of one or two posh people.

Basically, the only good guys are the Nights Watch.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Rewatching the show with a Summer Child at the moment, it's interesting seeing his reactions. He was spoiled on Ned Dies 'cause of the internet, and Drogo dropping dead from a boo-boo, he also knew there would be dragons and had picked up a few bits and bobs about the second season but is a complete blank slate for season 3, which we've just started.

Hand chop elicited a good reaction, we'll be doing Drogon fucks up Astapor tonight and probably get to the Bear and the Maiden Fair today or tomorrow, and the Red Wedding before the end of the week. He keeps asking "where is this? What's going on?" during the Theon bits which I suppose is what they were going for and he hasn't twigged that Barry is the bastard of Bolton. He also thinks that maybe Dany is going to get some ships and team up with the Starks...

Fatkraken fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Sep 23, 2013

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Ser Barristan is Roose's bastard?! :aaaaa:

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

CapnAndy posted:

Honestly the #1 fault with those books was the dumbshit decision to separate them out by character.

I don't have an e-reader, so I'm actually tempted to buy some cheap secondhand copies of the paperback editions of AFFC and ADWD and do a razorblade-and-binding-glue physical version of Ball of Beasts. It would probably end up as three volumes.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

webmeister posted:

Do you have a smartphone or tablet you can use? Because something like the Kindle app or Stanza works fine.

I have a broken laptop that I've repurposed as a desktop and Nothing Else. But I rather like physical books, and it would be a fun little craft project if I can find copies for super cheap.

Me and the Summer Child should be getting to the Red wedding tonight. He's pretty sure that Mrs Robb (can't remember her show name) is gonna bite it, but I don't think he's prepared for just how much of a disaster is around the corner.

Fatkraken fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Sep 25, 2013

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

hobbesmaster posted:

It's not a fuckup to accomplish what you set out to do.

Obliterating the economy also obliterated anything resembling agricultural output. Pretty sure her initial goal wasn't for all the freed slaves to starve to death.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
We finished S3 yesterday. He knew SOMETHING was gonna go down but wasn't expecting anything as extreme as the Red Wedding.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

BrooklynBruiser posted:

I have never seen a performance on this show that I would consider to be bad acting.

There's a few that I think are a little off. Not terrible but not in the highest tiers. I wonder if being English makes it easier to pick up on that, when people are using an accent you're super familiar with poor acting might be easier to detect than when it's less familiar.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Lazareth posted:

As the poster above me said, it has to do with being a free range dragon.

The small dragons were kept in that pit area of kings landing.

In any case, Drogon was ALWAYS the biggest, even before Mereen and possible people eating. Maybe he's just bigger. Maybe the other two are females and Drogon is the only male. Maybe the other two are males and Drogon is the only FEMALE (in some reptile species the female is substantially bigger), they refer to all the dragons as male but who the gently caress knows how to determine sex in a giant flying magic monster that breathes fire. Being free range allowed Drogon to avoid getting stunted, but he was bigger to begin with.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Narmi posted:

e: According to the asoiaf wiki, Maester Aemon also said that dragons are “now one and now the other, as changeable as flame.”

Simultaneous Hermaphrodites all the way baby!

Or it could be sequential, like in clown fish where the biggest member of a group is female and if she dies, the biggest male gets to be the new lady.

Dragon biology

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
the problem with Littlefinger's accent is less that it wanders, more that some of the places it ends up are really weird. I mean, there might be some tiny isolated village in West Lothian or Cornwall or whatever where people do those strange extended "O"s that sometimes crop up, but that and several more of his pronunciations just aren't something I've ever heard an actual person use, but over the base of a fairly typical British accent so it doesn't register as a non native speaker either. That's probably why it's less bothersome to non British people, Americans can expect to hear novel British accents on a fairly regular basis, but Brits fell like we already have the lay of the land and hearing a brand new variation in a British accent throws us for a loop

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Jedit posted:

I've read all ten plus four of the ancillary novels. Prepare to be thrown directly into the middle of the story and encounter things that won't be explained until much later (or in some cases, not at all). Also, if you think 6000 years of history is a lot, several pivotal events in Malazan take place 300,000 years in the past.

I tried to read what I think was the first one (gardens of the moon) and I really couldn't get into it, I was confused and bored. There were too many characters (which seems like an odd complaint in a GoT thread, but there you go) and not enough context for me to really be able to care. I'll have another crack at them at some point I guess, but I didn't find the one I tried engaging.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

:swoon:

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Jerkface posted:

HBO just released 5 vines with teasers for the trailer: http://winteriscoming.net/2014/01/hbo-releases-5-sneak-peeks-of-the-s4-trailer/

Oberyn vs The Mountain looks pretty sick

Trailers for a trailer.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Maybe ranging was originally just a way of getting the unreformable criminals, trouble makers and useless shits out of your hair and probably killed, but more recent commanders missed the memo.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Irish Joe posted:

All my anime reference points are pretty dated, but this isn't always a bad thing. I'm thinking specifically of the Nausicaa movie which had a distinct, but no less interesting, ending than the manga series it was based upon.

That's a rather different situation though, as it was less that the film was based on the Manga, more Miyazaki (a film maker by trade) had to make the manga to give the studio assurance that the film "based on" it would have an audience. Then it kinda got away from him and he worked on it on and off for 12 years (for GRRM fans, that's approximately the time between Tyrion chapters), expanding the story massively beyond the scope of the film. It's a pretty unusual situation in comics/animation and not something that can really be compared to much

Most Japanese animation that is based on very long ongoing Manga does go to poo poo once it runs out of material, but that's because it plans to pick up again where it left off once new material is available, so has to go into a lovely holding pattern of filler, side stories and other bullshit that isn't allowed to actually advance the plot.

Game of Thrones on the other hand is going to run out of books but is still going to want to advance the story. If they have any sense, they've sat GRRM down in a room with no food and told him he can't come out until they at the very least get a one paragraph breakdown of EVERY chapter he plans to write in the last two (five) books, so their character trajectories and major events can match up with what he would have written. We know they have *something* from him as that was part of the contract to get the show made in the first place, and it's both massively popular and representative of a commitment not to leave ongoing plot shows hanging, so not finishing it isn't really an option, nor is a hiatus because all the kids would grow up in the interim.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

AStrangeDuelist posted:

Which two?

I don't. The problems that the later books have are intrinsic to their structure; a structure which the tv show is clinging to closely for the most part.

How do you know that? Most of the problems with reading them came from the choice to split them geographically rather than chronologically, which will obviously be going, and with poo poo moving too slowly, which the TV show can fix. Also, just because they've clung closely to the structure of the more narratively successful books doesn't mean they'll do the same with the ones that had issues, "they made good books into good TV so they'll make bad books into bad TV" is not a logical progression.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

escape artist posted:

1) Unlikely
2) Very likely
3) Not going to happen

2 is at the END of Dance with Dragons, after her first flight we literally only get about one or two chapters of making GBS threads on a steppe then it's the very end of the very last book. If we got the Drogon escape this year, next year Dany would be firmly in as yet unwritten/unpublished (unwritten) material (assuming Dream of Spring doesn't come out in the next few months), that's a pretty major thing especially for such a key character. There's a hell of a lot they can do with Dany this season without getting that far into her story.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

meristem posted:

Yes, if Dany rides Drogon this season, the next season can adapt the Barristan and Quentyn chapters and end with the twin battles. Plus, the battles are probably written already, just not published.

This is stupid. Riding Drogon is pretty much the last thing Dany does in the books published thus far other than making GBS threads on some grass. If she rides Drogon this season, she has NOTHING for next season. At all. And she's one of the main characters, they can't just cut/mostly cut her from the season, she has to be in more or less every episode. They'll have to find her something to do that either hasn't been written, or hasn't been published yet, and get her WAY ahead of everyone else's stories.

It's not gonna happen and I'm super confused that people keep wondering if it will.

If there's not enough material between where Dany is now and when she rides Drogon, they'll put new stuff in the middle and flesh out Mereen or pre Mereen, there's plenty of space, powering through that stuff and getting to the fighting pits and the Drogon escape just isn't on the table.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

meristem posted:

Again, has anyone expected anything else? If it took six years to write the previous book, and five the book before, then why wouldn't have it taken as much to write this one? We're only three years in since ADWD.

I'm somewhat expecting one book next year, as it will let the showrunners do one more season based on the published material. I hope to be positively surprised, but I'm also somewhat expecting it to end essentially in the middle of nowhere, with incomplete arcs, like ADWD.

People were hoping, if not really expecting, that the show catching up would light a fire under his arse and get him working at a decent pace again, as he did for the first three books. Also the apparent reason AFFC took so long is that half the writing time was spent on ADWD chapters, as he *claimed* there was only 6 months of work to do after AFFC was published, then the reason ADWD took 12 times longer to finish than he expected was a very specific writing problem, the Mereneese Knot.

Without those particular idiosyncratic circumstances, and with the show rapidly threatening to overtake the story as written, the hope was that he'd find a bit of the old magic and take two years to write a book rather than eleven.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
I mean, I know "GRRM is an intrinsically slow writer" is sorta a thing now, but he's not an intrinsically slow writer. The first three books were published in 1996, 1998 and 2000. He is a man capable of writing a large book in 2 years. The question is, what happened to make him go from writing three books in 9 years (he started in 1991) including two entire books in four, a time which included starting the series and working out all the background, to ONE book in the middle of the series in eleven years, with it bloating to two books through poor editing and bad choices? Wildcards, football, writers block, writing himself into corner, conventions, lack of interest, lovely work ethic, performance anxiety, who the gently caress knows, but "not being capable of writing a book in less than five years under any circumstance" is not one of the reasons.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

James R posted:

He didn't really have his head cut off, that's why they killed his Direwolf to stick it's head on someone else's body instead of parading his body.

Or, at the last minute he warg'd into a nearby Direwolf and ran off.

Despite having a sword shoved through his heart and twisted, and some crossbow bolts shot through him.

If Grey Wind had survived and run off to join Nymeria or something, I could understand people believing he'd warged and was wandering around as a mad person-wolf without a body to go back to. It's not a great theory, but I'd get it

But he didn't, so these people are stupid

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Alchenar posted:

I think that Dany falling in love with Drogo is probably the most problematic thing. Cersei is explicitly upset about the fact that as a woman she has vastly reduced power because she is a woman and would rather not use her sexuality to control people. I don't think anyone actually says or thinks of Dany "The only reason you fell in love with Drogo is because stockholm syndrome".

On the other hand, it's a thing that happens in similar situations. A LOT. I was reading a book about Fundamentalist Mormonism the other day, fringe groups who still practice polygamy, often forcibly marrying off girls of 13 and 14, Dany's exact age in the books. Consummation of those marriages is immediate and is of course often going to be the kind of rape Dany experiences in the book, where she acquiesces because that's what is expected of her and isn't physically fighting back, but is really unhappy about the whole thing. Thing is, a frightening proportion of these girls do end up falling in love with the men they are married to, and will not testify against them in court or even speak ill of them. Falling in love with a spousal rapist in the context of a forced marriage is very much a thing, and doesn't necessarily constitute bad/unrealistic writing.

Another thing people forget is that almost EVERY marriage in Westerosi high society is like this to a greater or lesser extent. Two people who don't know each other but are expected to gently caress anyway, with the girl often ridiculously young. Society doesn't see it as rape, the husbands don't see it as rape, and even the wives for the most part don't see it as rape, but rather their duty as a spouse, albeit one they hate. People in the story don't think Dany has Stockholm Syndrome because they can't conceive of a wife doing her duty to be something worth her getting upset about, so are not in the slightest bit surprised that Dany is OK with it. Of course I'm not saying women in medieval times weren't traumatised by marital rape, I'm sure a loving ton of them were, but medieval society didn't expect them to be. Women having the legal right and agency to refuse sex with their husbands is a fairly modern invention, there wasn't even a legal concept of marital rape in most WESTERN countries until thirty years ago

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Marijuana posted:

The point I was making is that we're reading fantasy with dragons and ice fairies and magic trees. People are trying to use history and reality to defend abhorrent poo poo. It doesn't work.

95% of the time, we're reading a story of a patriarchal medieval-style feudal society ripping itself apart at the seams because of petty bullshit. People always bring up the fantastical elements when sweepingly declaring the books should be something other than they are, but the reason the books are so compelling to people is that the fantasy elements are superimposed onto this very visceral and convincing portrayal of an unpleasant medieval society that closely resembles genuine historical

"Fantasy shouldn't be as nasty as real history, because it's pretend, so we are honour bound to make all of our pretend worlds nice!" doesn't really hold water as a catch all set of restrictions. It prevents anything but historical fiction being able to make comment on historical events or historical attitudes and society. Especially when there is shitloads of fantasy out there where these historically inspired horrors are absent, and you can just read those instead.

This *particular* fantasy set out to have characters that were convincing as humans in a world that is convincing as one those humans live in. That means you HAVE to look at how real humans have behaved at similar levels of technological development, and in almost all of human history in every century and on every continent where settled civilization developed, that means it sucks to be female, it sucks to be poor, and if you're rich or powerful you get to squander the lives of other people to work out your bullshit family feuds

There's also a huge difference between defending the inclusion of abhorrent events and characters in a story, and defending the existence of similar abhorrent events and individuals in reality.

quote:

I'm not complaining about the writing - GRRM can write about whatever he wants - but I think realism defenses by the posters in this thread fall flat when the topic is a fantasy series.

"Realism" is a complicated concept, and I think many of us are talking across purposes. To me, the inclusion of horrific events is acceptable/important not because of a particular historical precedent, but because of some deeper comment on human nature. If you have a society with a given level of technological development, a certain population density and geography and so on, there is a tendency for certain patterns to emerge again and again even in societies with absolutely no contact in time/space. This includes strong class stratification, a ruling class whose feuding spills over into wars whose main fighting force is the lower classes who have nothing to gain from the war, slavery or a serf class, lovely conditions for women and so on. History is less a viable excuse to include events than the evidence that a lot of people in a society with a broadly medieval level of technology and development WILL act in lovely ways and do horrific things. So if you have a story depicting a medieval level society where everything if fine and everyone is nice to one another and when there's a war the fighting is orderly and honourable and no one rapes or pillages, it just rings false. It doesn't feel like a story about real human beings, because real human beings are often bad, and under extreme conditions like a war are loving monsters.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Contrast this with the loving and wholesome relationship between Ned and Cat, where she is arranged to marry him, before being stripped naked and carried to his bed chamber by people who later become her loyal friends.

In the show at least (I don't remember whether it's in the books) Ned wouldn't hear of it and the normal bedding ceremony didn't happen. However, he's an uncommonly good man, and Tyrion too is presented as unusually admirable for not boning Sansa on their wedding night.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Marijuana posted:

Who are you addressing here because I'm not sure this thread has any :airquote:SJWs:airquote:?

The people complaining on Tumblr

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Professor Shark posted:

I think that the best indication that Renly wasn't a fit king was the fact that Cat of all people thought that he and his men were all idiots.

Sure, Renly alone is a lovely king. Renly alone isn't going to BE the king, the people making the vast majority of the decisions are going to be the Tyrells, especially Olenna and Margery, with "advice" fed to him via his wife, his lover AND his council. And from what we have seen of the Tyrell women, they are almost obscenely competent, and seem to give a poo poo about the small folk, if not for their own sakes then for the sake of long term stability, which boils down to more or less the same thing: try to avoid wars, famines and anything that threatens to seriously piss the common people off.

With Renly on the throne genuinely giving a poo poo about the peasants, that seems like a pretty good situation for the everyday people of Westeros: a puppet king who wants to keep the peasants happy because he loves them, controlled by a rich and powerful house who know keeping the peasants happy is the key to stability and a successful dynasty that doesn't get executed or beaten in a big war.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Apoplexy posted:

Old Man Frowns: Is There More To This Story?

look at the hands

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

escape artist posted:

Goons relentlessly attacking a dude for being creepy.

I think GRRM would might say that's "the crow calling the raven black".

Seriously though. He put his hand on her hand. It's more grandfatherly than anything else.

Grandfathers who are touchy feely with their granddaughters but not their grandsons are creepy.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
What's controversial about thinking that some people in Westeros are homophobic? Even in a broadly accepting society, there are some people who have a problem with just about anything people can do or be, and Westeros *isn't* particularly accepting of most things. Some people are going to have a problem with dudes loving even if it's not thought of as sinful, that's what people are like, and this is especially likely in a paranoid lunatic like Cersei being protective of her one remaining son.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Get everyone using their real accents, it's weird hearing all the Irish, Scottish and American when almost everyone in the show is doing something resembling an English accent, or hearing English people's region trundling around all over the place

Fatkraken fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Feb 10, 2014

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

canepazzo posted:

I move that Bronn replaces any and all character cut from the books.

Strong Belwas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Sam. posted:

Isn't that standard procedure for when someone's dick is on screen?

Depends on the actor and the network

• Locked thread