Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yes. I haven't heard anything concerning renewals so hopefully it doesn't end on a cliffhanger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

New Episode

When the Bough Breaks

William exposes Audrey to the truth about her origins, whether she wants to hear it or not; at the same time, a curse is unleashed that brings with it new Troubles for Haven.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I wonder if they are going to really end it this season, or at least end the main series arc in case they don't get renewed?

I have to admit, I'm almost not digging the fact that they seem to be about to reveal the truth of the Troubles and Audrey and William. It seems they are moving in a direction of the are aliens, which is shades of a certain other Stephen King story.

I just like the characters and I'd rather a few more years of them just going on and dealing with wacky troubles like how on Supernatural they just do season after season of fighting monsters and demons. I don't *need* a resolution to the MacGuffin.

My old theory was that they were like witches or demigods from a few hundred years ago who cursed Haven, but all the talk of how it basically is a big experiment by William seems to nix that.

I gotta say though, I'm loving Colin Ferguson on this though. He's doing near Pelegrino levels of scenery chewing.

S11001001
Jun 21, 2004

the sexiest thing is trust

ShakeZula posted:

My only problem with Audrey and Nathan getting together is that Nathan is boring and stupid.

My problem would have been that I never really bought that Audrey had that depth of feeling for Nathan like Nathan did for Audrey, until she came back from the barn.

It probably comes down to my favorite episode of the series, 2x11 "Business As Usual". Audrey's just killed the Rev in the previous episode, and is extremely adamant about not giving a poo poo about it, or really anything that gets in the way of helping troubled people. It's kind of like possession; the troubled are her people, the Rev was going to kill one, so he got a bullet, that's that. She tracks down someone who kidnapped a troubled person and chains him up in a warehouse to interrogate him, shrugging off Nathan's concerns about what felt like a turn toward extremism.

When she kisses Nathan later in the episode (which IIRC was the first such instance), it felt like a reaction to what Nathan was feeling, rather than something that was coming from herself. That is, in some sense, her responding to Nathan's admission of feeling in kind was an extension of her possession of/devotion to all troubled people, a category that, after all, includes Nathan. By contrast, I didn't get any sense of similar confusion of the senses from Nathan, despite the obvious candidate.

Whether it's different now because Emily Rose is playing it differently, or she's proven that her devotion is split by lying to the Guard about who she was, I can't say, but it definitely feels different, and the right time for this turn in the plot.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

Astroman posted:

My old theory was that they were like witches or demigods from a few hundred years ago who cursed Haven, but all the talk of how it basically is a big experiment by William seems to nix that.

I gotta say though, I'm loving Colin Ferguson on this though. He's doing near Pelegrino levels of scenery chewing.

I don't know. William mentioned the fact that trying to explain what they do Nathan was like trying to explain physics to a fish. William also doesnt really seem to see the people of Haven as people. Makes me think more and more that hes just wearing some kind of shell and is from another dimension. That or their time travelers.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Good end to the season. Guess they left Jennifer in ambiguity in case they decided not to bring the actress back. I thought she did well enough though, and I would think there's still more story there to tell, especially if Duke is going to be mega-troubled next season. Assuming hopefully that Syfy renews it.

Mara looks like she should be fun, though hopefully not a retread of William.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Very solid finale. Seconding the hope that Jennifer comes back, she was a nice addition and it would suck to lose yet another interesting female supporting character. Definitely looking forward to seeing more of Mara.

Is the show really in danger of not being picked up? I know it's not a worldbeater in the ratings but I didn't think it was doing significantly worse than their other shows.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

I was kinda hoping for a little more plot resolution, I mean how many times did William offer to explain everything only to have something come up and cut him off?

On the other hand, Colin Ferguson is loving great in this, it'll be a shame to see him go.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

ShakeZula posted:

Is the show really in danger of not being picked up? I know it's not a worldbeater in the ratings but I didn't think it was doing significantly worse than their other shows.

Previous seasons were picked up for an additional one around the time episode 8-9 aired. Nothing yet this season. Not sure what that means. SyFy was rather nice to Eureka, giving them an extra episode finale, and Warehouse 13, to give them a final mini-season. Hopefully Haven will at least get a final season of some number of episodes before getting the axe.

Can of Cloud
May 20, 2010
Any news on a season 5?

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012
I like this show but drat do I hate finals that raise more questions than answers. Something, anything would have been nice.

Bleh

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Hipster Occultist posted:

I was kinda hoping for a little more plot resolution, I mean how many times did William offer to explain everything only to have something come up and cut him off?

On the other hand, Colin Ferguson is loving great in this, it'll be a shame to see him go.

I think the problem is if they explain where William and Audrey are from, there goes the entire premise of the show. Now there's still Troubles and whatnot to deal with, and most of the major players are in their places except with some revelations and changes (like Audrey).

But I really do wonder if we'll actually get another season.

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

Hipster Occultist posted:

I just finished the season and I was too. Mostly because the numbers arent so good and it's probably gonna get the axe.

William was a great addition this season though.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Holy poo poo:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/syfy-renews-haven-season-5-674975

quote:

Syfy is making up for its delayed renewal of Haven by doubling its order. The original drama, which closed its fourth season back in December, has received the green light for an additional 26 episodes.

The super-sized fifth season will debut the first 13 episodes in the fall, with the remaining expected to air some time in 2015.

I'm guessing season 5 will be it's last, but this is still awesome. :dance:

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Awesome news!

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
Guess they took a cue from Breaking Bad with the split fifth season. :cool: I hope it's the last, too. Haven has been consistently enjoyable, but very few shows should last past five seasons, and a long final season could be perfect for it.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

This is probably tied to current contracts, which may have ran through season 5. Instead of having to renegotiate for another season, just extend the length of 5.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Teek posted:

This is probably tied to current contracts, which may have ran through season 5. Instead of having to renegotiate for another season, just extend the length of 5.

Dick Wolf should do his shows that way. "Yes, I want to contract my actors for two seasons, each with a length of 220 episodes spread over ten years..."

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Excellent, I was so worried this wouldn't get renewed.

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

Teek posted:

Didn't Syfy do that to Warehouse 13 and Eureka too? I remember they had half of seasons that aired so far apart that they had separate DVD sets.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Alkanos posted:

Didn't Syfy do that to Warehouse 13 and Eureka too? I remember they had half of seasons that aired so far apart that they had separate DVD sets.

Speaking of Warehouse 13, it started again, on the 14th. I don't see any thread anywhere though, did the old one (was there an old one) get archived?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah the old one did get archived.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Well, I have to say, the first episode is quite interesting. I'm not going to spoil it, that's for sure.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Welp, Warehouse 13 is over, and I have to say, they did a good job finishing it off. Sorry to hijack the thread. It's sort of cannon? (They should have brought it in?)

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
I'm really looking forward to seeing Haven come back. Mostly because I hope to see Colin Ferguson portraying something other than Maytag appliances.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Colin was a breath of fresh air on the series this past year I hope he's back for more if possible. I really enjoyed him as William. They also got a 26 episode order this year (twice the normal order). I'm not sure if that's to finish out the series or not, but it makes sense.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah, I believe so too. It definitely beats the paltry six episodes W13 got.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I'll be interested to see what they do with one 26 episode season storywise, if that is indeed how it is aired.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Astroman posted:

I'll be interested to see what they do with one 26 episode season storywise, if that is indeed how it is aired.

There's going to be a break in the middle, but instead of almost a year it's only going to be a few months.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

GreenNight posted:

Yeah, I believe so too. It definitely beats the paltry six episodes W13 got.

I forgot that it was that short until I caught the final episode. Thought they did a great job wrapping things up. But I do wish it was longer.

And Colin was the best thing the last season. Loved him in Eureka and as a villain here he is great.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Re Season 5:

quote:

The show is prepared for season five to be the show's last, filming two possible endings: One to wrap everything up, and one in case the show goes on. Said Eric Balfour:

The writers are of the opinion that you don't get the opportunity to see the finish line very often on a television series, so knowing that we have the ability to sort of plan for that – and we have [the length of] two seasons to do it, it's not like it's tomorrow — I actually am of the opinion that I hope we do it, because I would love to give the fans a real ending and honor the show that way.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Kind of figured that when they got such a large pickup. Makes sense.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Season 5 of Haven will premiere on September 11th at 10 PM.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Season 5 teaser

Apparently Audrey is evil now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Season 5!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3664163&pagenumber=1#lastpost

• Locked thread