Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

New secret Brazilian technique:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6X3RZJhsvY&t=35s

From http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/10/7/4814312/video-mma-fighter-gives-up-jumps-fence-and-runs

"Evilasio Silva (8-12) defeated Claudinei Angelo (4-5) at JF Fight Evolution in Juiz de Fora, Brazil, on Oct. 5, but not the way he expected.

Angelo (8-12) was controlling the action when Angelo’s mouthpiece fell on the mat. Flavio Almendra, stopped the bout and asked Angelo to get back his mouthpiece. It happened again, and Almendra stopped the bout once again.

When Angelo clearly spat his mouthpiece to recover from the punches, the referee refused to stop the fight. Angelo went on and asked for a "time out". Silva and Almendra didn’t understood what he was asking for, but Angelo decided to quit. The door was locked, so his only way out was jumping off the fence and leaving the arena.

Video credit: Zona de Attack, Esporte Interativo."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

individual865
Mar 26, 2007

Life on the outside ain't what it used to be.
Short form B-league update, as I am currently quite ill:

SATURDAY

10/12/13 @2PM EST - Oplot Challenge 83- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9CL1ahG0LU

10/12/13 @7:30PM EDT - A-Town Throwdown - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ftyz-Xaa7A

10/12/13 @8PM EST - Jungle Fight 59- http://tv-aovivo.nl/lutas.html

10/12/13 @10PM EST - CFA 12- AXS tv

individual865 fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 13, 2013

Chrom1um
Dec 31, 2005
Come and join my doomsday cult!
Shannon Knapp has tweeted she will have a full fight announcement coming sometime later today. The card is expected to be fairly large (I would guess 14+ fights). She also stated in an interview several days ago that Invicta is ramping up to do 8-10 events next year, but at this point I'll believe it when I see it.

The only 100% confirmed fight for Invicta 7 on December 7th (unless the date's changed) is Carla Esparza (c) vs. Claudia Gadelha in a Strawweight title fight. Also very likely is Barb Honchak (c) vs. Leslie Smith in a Flyweight title fight. Cyborg, Miriam Nakamoto, and Felice Herrig have also stated they will be on the card, although Cyborg was actually expected to kick off Invicta's Lightweight division. There is also possibly a third title fight, although what that is is a bit up in the air since it seems negotiations with Jewels Atomweight Champion Seo Hee Ham to fight Michelle Waterson have fallen through, as Ham is booked for Deep Jewels 2.

Tecia Torres is confirmed to _not_ be on the card and is thus looking for a side job since fighting twice a year doesn't pay the bills. It's kind of depressing that someone with that much potential is actually considering opting out of fighting for lack of opportunities. Man I wish I'd linked the MMAJunkie article for that when I wrote this post last night. Appears she's made the card after all.

Finally Shannon Knapp apparently has signed a "second Bellator veteran" other than Felice Herrig. The choices on that really are just Jessica Aguilar (world #1 Strawweight) and Michelle Ould (top 10 Flyweight), probably Aguilar.

But anyway a lot of news is about to drop tomorrow on Invicta 7 it seems.

Chrom1um fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 11, 2013

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

pretty stoked to see Felice Herrig fight some more. She can be quite a beast.

individual865
Mar 26, 2007

OPLOT TIIIIME!Join me in #mma to discuss!

Chrom1um
Dec 31, 2005
Invicta 7 has released what may or may not be their full card today, although their may be some streaming prelims added later. And, um, a lot of poo poo that had been rumored (or rather poo poo that came directly from interviews with people including Shannon Knapp) turned out to not be true, but they are indeed going with three title fights:

Main Card
Flyweight Championship Match: Barb Honchak (c) (8-2) vs. Leslie Smith (6-3-1)
Strawweight Championship Match: Carla Esparza (9-2) (c) vs. Claudia Gadelha (11-0)
Inaugural Bantamweight Championship Match: Lauren Taylor Murphy (7-0) vs. Miriam Nakamoto (2-0, 1 NC)
Strawweight Match: Felice Herrig (9-4) vs. Tecia Torres (3-0)
Strawweight Match: Joanne Calderwood (7-0) vs. Katja Kankaanpaa (8-0-1)
Featherweight Match: Julia Budd (5-2) vs. Charmaine Tweet (4-3)
Flyweight Match: Zoila Frausto Gurgel (12-3) vs. Vanessa Porto (15-6)
Bantamweight? Match: Tonya Evinger (11-6) vs. Kelly Kobold (18-3-1)
Flyweight Match: Nina Ansaroff (5-3) vs. Munah Holland (5-2)
Prelims
???

Shannon Knapp also hinted that Invicta 8 will be in January with Thug Rose and Bec Hyatt on the card. Cyborg probably will return then as well.

As a main card it's pretty loving stacked, as their isn't a single match without at least one Top 10 fighter in it aside from the opener (and Munah Holland is only out of the Top 10 for inactivity, she was #7 last month), but it really feels like some prelims are needed. If Invicta is going to be going to a much more frequent schedule starting in January, it seems like they may indeed have struck a deal with Showtime or whoever.

More notes:
-The second Bellator veteran signed that Knapp had alluded to appears to have been Munah Holland.
-Julie Kedzie will be fighting at UFC Fight Night 33 in Australia (technically on Saturday December 7th as well but airs in the U.S. on Friday), and will not be available to do commentating.
-While Invicta 7 isn't actually going up against UFC Fight Night 33, they do appear to be going against WSOF 7.

Chrom1um fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 12, 2013

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
:drat: that card is fuckin awesome.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Bean Fried posted:

-While Invicta 7 isn't actually going up against UFC Fight Night 33, they do appear to be going against WSOF 7.

How ever will they cope with losing dozens of viewers

Chrom1um
Dec 31, 2005
PSP Women's Bantamweight Rankings October 12, 2013

Basically, I ranked 40 women at Bantamweight to prove a point in a sperg-argument recently and I didn't want that to go to waste.

1) Ronda Rousey (7-0) (UFC) UFC Champion

2) Cat Zingano (8-0) (UFC)

Pictured recovering from surgery with Carla Esparza.

3) Sara McMann (7-0) (UFC)

4) Liz Carmouche (9-3) (UFC)

5) Sarah Kaufman (16-2) (UFC)

6) Miesha Tate (13-4) (UFC)

7) Alexis Davis (14-5) (UFC)

8) Lauren Murphy (7-0) (Invicta)

9) Sarah D’Alelio (7-4) (Invicta)

10) Amanda Nunes (8-3) (UFC)

11) Julianna Pena (4-2) (UFC)

12) Shayna Bazler (15-8) (UFC)

13) Rosi Sexton (13-3) (UFC)

14) Jessica Eye (10-1) (UFC)

15) Germaine de Randamie (4-2) (UFC)

16) Jessica Andrade (9-3) (UFC)

17) Holly Holm (5-0) (Legacy FC)

18) Miriam Nakamoto (2-0, 1 NC) (Invicta)

19) Raquel Pennington (3-3) (UFC)

20) Jessamyn Duke (2-0, 1 NC) (UFC)

21) Julie Kedzie (16-12) (UFC)
22) Sarah Moras (3-1) (UFC)
23) Rin Nakai (15-0-1) (Pancrase/Japanese talent agency slave)
24) Tara Larosa (21-4) (free agent)
25) Tonya Evinger (Invicta)
26) Sheila Gaff (10-6-1) (free agent)
27) Jessica Rakoczy (1-3-1) (UFC)
28) Peggy Morgan (2-0) (UFC)
29) Kaitlyn Young (7-8-1) (Invicta)
30) Roxanne Modafferi (15-10) (UFC)
31) Bethe Correia (6-0) (UFC)
32) Valerie Letourneau (4-3) (free agent)
32) Revelina Berto (3-1) (free agent)
34) Sheila Bird (3-0) (free agent)
35) Elaine Albuquerque (6-1) (free agent)
36) Ana Maria (5-4) (free agent)
37) Marciea Allen (2-1) (free agent)
38) Agnieszka Niedzwiedz (4-0) (free agent)
39) Juliete Silva (3-1) (free agent)
40) Aline Serio (5-4) (free agent)

Notable people not ranked:
-Kelly Kobold is returning to action at Invicta 7 for her fight in over 2 years and just her second fight since she initially retired 5 years ago. She used to be very good (she's 18-3-1, with losses to Gina Carano, Cyborg, and Tara Larosa in her prime), but since I have no idea how good she is now I've decided not to rank her.
-Milana Dudieva would be ranked around #22 or #23 but she is moving back to Featherweight for her next fight, where she's spent most of her career.
-TUF elimination round loser Colleen Schneider probably would have landed on the list in if she hadn't already moved back to Flyweight. There also appears to be little indication that Bethany Marshall also probably would have sneaked on the list but she's indicated she's also returning to Flyweight.
-I can't honestly rank UFC's recent acquisition Alexandra Albu when of her supposed 5 fights, only one is verified (which was supposed to be her fifth but was promoted as her "debut") and she and her coach have dodged questions on her first four opponents beyond the fact they were in Thailand. I have no doubt she's trained in Thailand. As for havng four professional MMA fights in Thailand, I find that sketchy to say the least, not to mention the likely quality of her opponents, or the fact that she would be on the small side even at Flyweight. I can't rank her on training videos or on crushing a can (even her one verified fight was against a fighter who was 0-0). I'll wait until I see how she does against Kedzie.

Chrom1um fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Oct 12, 2013

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Bean Fried posted:

PSP Women's Bantamweight Rankings October 12, 2013
17) Holly Holm (5-0) (Legacy FC)

:drat:

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
holly holm is loving cool

individual865
Mar 26, 2007

OOOOOOOOPLOT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9CL1ahG0LU

Come chat in #mma!

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Yep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z5c1H4_4Vk

Holm really needs to move on to proper competition. She's way too good for Legacy FC. That was more an execution than a fight.

Bean Fried, as far as I know Milana Dudieva is still a bantamweight. At least that's what Swedish MMA sites are reporting as the weightclass for her fight against Pannie Kianzad.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
what is it with successful female fighters slumming it up with dinks like bryan caraway or joey villasenor

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

JoshGrossESPN posted:

Gen Isono tells me Yushin Okami made his decision on which promotion to join. Several expressed interest. WSOF is frontrunner IMO. In talks.

Probably be an announcement soon, then.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

fatherdog posted:

Probably be an announcement soon, then.

"Ray Sefo, thank you!"

(I had a brief, terrifying thought of Burkman choking out Okami)

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Burkman already gets Coleman-levels of red in the first round, I doubt he's in any hurry to go up a weight class.

Chrom1um
Dec 31, 2005

DekeThornton posted:

Yep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z5c1H4_4Vk

Holm really needs to move on to proper competition. She's way too good for Legacy FC. That was more an execution than a fight.

Bean Fried, as far as I know Milana Dudieva is still a bantamweight. At least that's what Swedish MMA sites are reporting as the weightclass for her fight against Pannie Kianzad.

Oh word, that's at Bantamweight? For some reason I thought that was either at Featherweight but it's been a while since I checked. Dammit, I'd have probably put Kianzad on there too, albeit around the end of it.

Chrom1um
Dec 31, 2005
On a separate note, since 6 fights have already been announced for the Ultimate Fighter 17 Finale, there only appears to be ~6 or so open spots on the TUF Finale for fights, and so it seems that not everyone on the show made it (although I suppose they might have spread a couple fights out to other shows, idk, Or maybe some got injured). Anyway Invicta might be using one or two of the people who didn't make it it seems, and I've been able to confirm that pretty much everyone on the Women's side is training for some sort of fight right now.

That being said I've been kind of poo poo at predicting what happens on TUF after the Elimination Round winners, so whatever.

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

1st AD posted:

what is it with successful female fighters slumming it up with dinks like bryan caraway or joey villasenor
Turns out poor decision-making skills in people who choose to get punched in the head for a living is a gender-neutral thing.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy
speaking of gender, isn't fallon fox fighting tonight

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Save Russian Jews posted:

speaking of gender, isn't fallon fox fighting tonight

Lerius
Mar 9, 2013
TKO (pawing)

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Minowaman won his 100th fight. By knockout, of all things. Yay MINOWAMAN, SUPER HLUK champion!

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Attn. Rheinhold -

quote:

"When Pride was over I didn’t negotiate with the UFC," Arona told MMAFighting in Itacoatiara, a beautiful beach in Niteroi, Rio de Janeiro. "I wanted to take some time off. I was fighting five times a year and needed some rest. When I decided to return, I injured my knee and everything has changed.

"I competed professionally since I was 15, and when I was 30 I needed to stop," he continued. "Pride was over and I decided to stop and look to the MMA market, to see where I’d fit. I fought again two years later, at Bitetti Combat, but I torn the ACL in the first round. I fought two more rounds, so it took me almost two years to heal."

Fans around the world ever wondered if he would ever fight again when he accepted to fight UFC veteran Martin Eastman at Bitetti Combat 4 in Rio de Janeiro, winning via decision.

It wasn’t the best performance of his career, but it was a great win considering he injured his knee in the first round, when his foot got stuck between the mat and the fence.

"I’ve fought 18 times in Japan and didn’t feel the pressure I’ve felt fighting in Rio de Janeiro," he said. "I’ve never fought in a cage before and I felt very comfortable there. Many fighters felt that change [after Pride], but I loved it. I felt at home inside the cage."

With an injured knee, Arona went to Las Vegas with his friend Rogerio "Minotouro" Nogueira, who was scheduled to fight Jason Brilz at UFC 114 in May 2010, to meet Dana White.

According to Arona, the UFC president told him to get one more win before they sign him, but it never happened. Three years have passed since that day, and he had the chance to fight again when he got offers from major promotions like Strikeforce, but he never accepted.

"When I decided to fight again, I started to train with my friend Paulo Filho, but I injured my other knee," he said. "I’ve tore the ligaments of my other knee and I will have to go on surgery again. I will do the surgery by the end of the year, so I will need to take some time off to be at 100 percent again. That’s the reason I’m not fighting yet. I have to heal everything to return."

Arona has only won one fight in seven years, but he still wants to compete against the best.

"UFC is the goal of every fighter, and that’s my goal," he said. "I don’t know if I’ll need one or two more fights to get there, but I’m not worried. UFC is the goal, and I will be ready to get there. The only chance I won’t fight again is if my body can’t do it anymore. But I had a knee surgery before and healed well, so I believe my other knee will be 100 percent. I know time flies, but I also believe in my experience. Everything will be alright.

"I’ve talked about it a lot in the past, so I decided I won’t fix a deadline for my return because I need to be solid in every aspect of the fight to return, and I still have that knee surgery to do," he continued. "I believe my recovery will take a year and I should be able at least to decide what’s next at the end of 2014. Will I return fighting jiu-jitsu, submission or straight to MMA? I expect to be ready to fight in one year after the surgery, but if it takes more than a year I’m okay with that too. No rush. I need to get ready to return at 100 percent and that’s what matters."

But a fighter needs money, and having only a single fight in six years doesn't afford a house in Itacoatiara.

"Every athlete lives with the money they get from sponsors and purses," Arona said, "and I haven’t competed recently, but I have Quiksilver and Moskova as sponsors and they support me a lot."

"The Brazilian Tiger" is slowly building his gym in his own house, and he expects to be surrounded by the best teammates when it’s finally finished.

"I like to teach and watch people learning and growing as fighters, but I’m extremely competitive," he said. "I’m building a structure where I can train and get ready to compete. I want to have at my house everything a fighter needs to be able to compete at the highest level without leaving Itacoatiara. I have everything I need here. I live in peace, thinking about my projects. I can stay healthy using the nature, like the mountains and the sea. It would be tougher to do it in the city, and that’s why I love to live here."

"I’ll build a structure with all the equipment I need, but I will also have the best sparring," he continued. "I have a lot of good guys to help me here, but I also want my friends to help me, like Anderson Silva, Rodrigo 'Minotauro', Amaury Bitetti, Rogerio 'Minotouro', Paulo Filho and many others. I will also go to Rio de Janeiro to train with them, but I don’t want to need to go there to train like I needed in the past."

Arona looks slimmer today, but he still weighs the same he used to when he competed in Japan.

"My weight is the same for 10 years," he said. "I weigh 205 pounds and have always weighted that. I always weighed around 209 pounds on fight night while my opponents were at 220, 225 pounds. I believe that the fighters should weigh in on the same day of the fight. Weighing in the day before is ridiculous. That’s not your real weight. You’re a big coward if you need to lose 25 pounds to fight. If you’re really good, there’s no weight. You need to fight at your real weight class."

Arona will be a 36-year old fighter when he finally recovers from his knee injury (projected to be at some point in 2015), but he believes he will be ready to beat anyone in the UFC -- and that includes Jon Jones.

"Jon Jones is reigning in this division, but his last fight was really close," Arona said. "People have trouble dealing with his height and reach, his style, but he’s not unbeatable. You just need to be smart.

"We all saw after his last fight that he’s not that monster that everybody believed he was," he continued. "When I fought Alistair Overeem, he was a monster as big as Jones and I used the right strategy to win. You need the right strategy to beat Jon Jones. Glover Teixeira is an aggressive fighter standing, but he can’t let Jon Jones fight his game.

"I’m capable of beating any fighter. I’ve proven it already. I only need to be 100 percent to do it. Today, I can’t beat any of them. That’s the reality. But I believe a lot in myself. I’ve fought fighter from every weight class. Doing the right thing, I have a chance against any of them. Most of the fighters today (in the UFC) lose because they make mistakes, not because the other one if better than them."

Before driving back home in his car, a mid-1990’s silver BMW, the Pride veteran asks to send a message to his fans around the world, He wants to remind them that Ricardo Arona will fight again.

"I’m doing everything I need to return to the ring and do my best again," Arona said. "I know I’m the type of fighter that the market needs, and I need this time to get ready to go to war again."

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
In related news, http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/10/13/4835236/yushin-okami-signs-with-world-series-of-fighting

Nifft
Oct 5, 2001
I'm absolutely spiffng!

There's another video that outlines his plan for the future in more detail. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWbzy9qFVPY

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
http://www.cagepotato.com/rampage-vs-tito-ticket-sales-confirm-that-bellator-is-pretty-much-hosed-you-guys/

Loool

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
so it seems that Fallon Fox managed to end the "do mtf transgendered fighters have an advantage fighting against women" debate by sucking

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Hahaha gently caress. The highlight for me was the link to rebney Sr. Winnebago dealership (presumably, I didn't click on it)

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Marching Powder posted:

Hahaha gently caress. The highlight for me was the link to rebney Sr. Winnebago dealership (presumably, I didn't click on it)

Hoooooooly poo poo.... Bjorn Rebney's dad is the loving WINNEBAGO MAN? That is AMAZING. (Granted the original source is Middle Easy, but I'm just gonna choose to believe this because it's so awesome).

If you haven't seen the clip then watch it immediately. Unless you're at work.

:nws:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSWUWPx2VeQ
:nws:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Frank Shamrock is going to star in a period piece about the Trail of Tears. :laffo:

outy
Aug 27, 2004

Zuffa could quite easily buy up most of Bellator's star roster, but it's clear that they don't need to. It'll be a lot cheaper to buy the failing company in about 3 months time.
Chandler v Pettis sounds like fun.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

outy posted:

Zuffa could quite easily buy up most of Bellator's star roster, but it's clear that they don't need to. It'll be a lot cheaper to buy the failing company in about 3 months time.
Chandler v Pettis sounds like fun.

This still begs the question why the gently caress they had such a hard on for Eddie Alvarez.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Lid posted:

This still begs the question why the gently caress they had such a hard on for Eddie Alvarez.

I think it's just more talent poaching than anything. Zuffa wants the best in the world. If Joe and Dana think that a guy in another org is one of the best, they're going to grab them when they get a chance.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Lid posted:

His fights own, it's not even a matter of "best in the world". Henderson (or Pettis) vs Alvarez would be a guaranteed good fight in a way that Askren vs GSP wouldn't necessarily be.

outy
Aug 27, 2004

Alvarez is a guaranteed increase in PPV buys because you always get high drama. Every fight of his is like watching a bar fight on CCTV in fast-forward, he always gets knocked out then bounces back up like he's just used an extra life.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

outy posted:

Alvarez is a guaranteed increase in PPV buys because you always get high drama. Every fight of his is like watching a bar fight on CCTV in fast-forward, he always gets knocked out then bounces back up like he's just used an extra life.

ok, so i'm assuming that eddie alvarez is probably at least kinda well known by the bellator audience. does him being on a show boost their ratings at all?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

gimpsuitjones posted:

so it seems that Fallon Fox managed to end the "do mtf transgendered fighters have an advantage fighting against women" debate by sucking

I watched the fight. It wasn't so much as Fallon sucking(which she does) as she got loving mauled. Also the ref on that fight should be fired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

david carmichael posted:

ok, so i'm assuming that eddie alvarez is probably at least kinda well known by the bellator audience. does him being on a show boost their ratings at all?

I don't think Bellator has an actual audience, I've never met anyone who actually knows about it.