Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
MMA journalism at its finest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

Kinda feel that makes sense. How is that any different from actual greasing? Granted I say this without ever having used spray tan, is it really perfectly dry?

Opal
May 10, 2005

yessss

Opal
May 10, 2005

1st AD posted:

I don't think there's a kickboxing thread anymore but I figured this deserves to be posted here anyways:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsIY-O6Ig1E

This is so confusing

Opal
May 10, 2005

Enson Inoue rules so god drat much

Opal
May 10, 2005

Yuriy posted:

quote:

And your winner is James "The Colossus" Thompson by way of submission due to arm triangle

Hahah no loving way

Opal
May 10, 2005

That does suck but what an idiotic loving article. MMA is already under scrutiny and criticism and writing things like "death is a part of the fight game" and "[..] just to name a few" doesn't help anybody, least of all this dumb sport.

Opal
May 10, 2005

"Journalist"

Opal
May 10, 2005

But I guess you're right and MMA has no image to recover or maintain

Opal
May 10, 2005

Tezcatlipoca posted:

You care too much about an article 6 people will read.

Fair point

Opal
May 10, 2005

DekeThornton posted:

I just got back from watching this card live, and it was good fun. IRFA is turning into the best local organisation for up and coming Young fighters with good competitive matchups.

As a bonus I also spotted Joanne Calderwood in the audience. Apperantly she's been over to spar att Gustafsson's home gym, Allstars.

I-R-F-A! IFRA!

Opal
May 10, 2005

Yep! Wearing a Berserk hoodie myself no less. Shame about poor Alexs, he wasn't very happy with his performance. He was basically Jon Jones in comparison to that loving announcer though, holy crap. On a lighter note Karl's match was really cool. Where were you?

Opal
May 10, 2005

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Allahu Armbar

yes

Opal
May 10, 2005

Triticum Guzzler posted:

perhaps do not fight a super hulk champion if you are 0-0

When interviews with this guy started cropping up most people thought it was some weird joke or wishful thinking. Alas.

Goran Jettingstad posted:

Minowa has a tremendous amount of experience in the ring, while I only have experience in training, sparring, etc. On the other hand, my age, height, and the fact that he doesn't know anything about me and my practice works a little more to my advantage.

Goran Jettingstad posted:

Would be boring to say height [is my advantage], so I'll go with the fact that he doesn't know anything about me and my style. In the meantime we are training to be able to withstand anything we've seen him come up with in previous matches, with marked improvement.

Opal fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Apr 11, 2014

Opal
May 10, 2005

Hi all

1st AD posted:

Tim Sylvia in the last 5 years has routinely shown up to fights in much worse shape than James Thompson has. Let that factoid sink in.

A factoid is the opposite of what you want to say

Lost For Words posted:

This isn't as sad as the continuing existence of Tim Sylvia the fighter, but it's really not something you want to be bragging about

It's a good job he wasn't, then!!

Opal
May 10, 2005

That might actually be - gasp - pretty clever

Opal
May 10, 2005

Twitter is completely unintelligible

Opal
May 10, 2005

I actively refuse

Opal
May 10, 2005

thanks for the play-by-play but I'm kind of weirded out by your racial descriptors

Opal
May 10, 2005

Yuriy posted:

ah yes because "black guy" is a deeply problematic description, my bust yo

i'm just confused why it's important to note that a guy is black or white, maybe you could address that instead of getting snippy and defensive

Opal
May 10, 2005

right

Opal
May 10, 2005

this is in relation to words on the internet describing a fight no one else is seeing - it doesn't matter what colour hair, shorts or gloves they wear, let alone whether they are a Black Guy or a White Guy which is my point, it's a completely meaningless descriptor and i'm confused why you'd insist on it, or defend it, especially while at the same time giving a much better descriptor: a name!

it's honestly not s super controversial question to ask

Opal
May 10, 2005

Palhares/Fitch getting cancelled is one of the great tragedies of our age

Opal
May 10, 2005

Captain Log posted:

There is no way this is real. You all do know what happens when chutes get tangled, right? And if you collide while free falling you will quite literally die from parts of you flying off.

While I'm sure it could be fake you did see them collide without losing a limb and/or dying in the clip right

Opal
May 10, 2005

A former club mate of mine is competing for Sweden so go Jimmie!

edit: Haha also the people in the cover photos are current club mates of mine.

Opal fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jul 1, 2014

Opal
May 10, 2005

It's possibly my coach had something to do with the design of the website since he's a graphic designer and the head of SMMAF.

Opal
May 10, 2005

Garcia's fighting style makes me irrationally angry. I loathe fat gently caress Roy Nelson for the same reason

Opal
May 10, 2005

They're both embarrasingly sloppy and the antithesis to what I like in MMA. Roy Nelson has approximately one punch in his entire arsenal and Garcia has two, both of which are T-Rex hooks. People cheering and complimenting Garcia for being 'scrappy' when all he does is swing like a drunk middle-aged bar fighter makes me sigh in disappointment.

Opal
May 10, 2005

Ogantai posted:

He's 4-3 in sanctioned competitions and his best win is over Tim Sylvia. Ain't poo poo, never was.

I don't know

Opal
May 10, 2005

That owned up until the three completely unnecessary soccer kicks at the end

Opal
May 10, 2005

Fat Twitter Man posted:

I feel bad for the person who was severely injured and remains hospitalized.

Opal
May 10, 2005

Crocop still fights :(

otoh Imamari still fights :)

Opal
May 10, 2005

fatherdog posted:

Last time the secret match was Baret Yoshida vs Jeff Glover, who is also one of the announcers. He stripped off his suit to reveal tights and ran down to the mat.

Florian's reaction was absolutely priceless.

Opal
May 10, 2005

Dangersim posted:

All of them but Brock finished him in cool ways also (Liver kick, anaconda choke, and getting beat up so bad that the doctor stopped it)

Opal
May 10, 2005

Yuriy posted:

Yea, Roxanne is one of the few people whose fanbase I really just don't understand

There is nothing pleasant about her, she's a massive dork who gets KO'd in hilarious ways, spergs about stupid poo poo and yet people latch on to her

Perceived attainability

Opal
May 10, 2005

Joachim Hansen is fighting in a Z-League event on Saturday. Don't actually know whether it will be available online or not though. He's fighting Diego Nunes on a three fight losing streak, haha.

Opal
May 10, 2005

To be fair the two kicks to the side just preceding that exchange looked like they took all of Hansen's energy with them

Opal
May 10, 2005

Better Ariel's than Rogan's

Opal
May 10, 2005

I bet you like kicking puppies too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opal
May 10, 2005

I can't watch tonight but if it's available anywhere later I'd love to catch up on it