Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

It's basically a roleplay sort of thing like my building of the Mayasuran empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I usually colonise lovely worlds in systems I want and give them to pirates and independents. Free patrols and people to sell to.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I'll occasionally use the command console to create extra colonies for factions that are weak in Nex. *cough* Blackrock *cough*

I did the independent world thing once and they started grouching about me colonizing their system. Ungrateful sods.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Dreamsicle posted:

Is there a good general guide for outfitting ships? I've always used the autofit function and I feel that I'm losing effectiveness by doing that.

The advice given so far is good, but a few points to add:

- I really wouldn't worry about creating a bespoke loadout for each and every ship unless you really feel inclined to minmax or you're going into a very difficult fight. Pay attention to your best ships but it's okay to have some filler. It's difficult to make a good loadout from scratch this until you get a good feel for the strengths and weaknesses of each hull and each weapon. Adding mods makes this much more difficult since there are so many more options. The reason you shouldn't worry too much is...

- Most of the autofit preset loadouts are at least decent. The AI is good and will make them work even if they're suboptimal. The main thing to watch out for is if you don't have one of the weapons called for, the game will sub it with something you do have, which might not work at all. But it doesn't make it very obvious that it has done this, so you have to keep an eye out. In the autofit screen, when you mouse over the image of the autofit ship on the left, it will tell you want it wants to put on, and over your ship on the right, it will tell you what it is actually putting on. This is doubly true for ships that you order from your colony production: the AI will slap seemingly random stuff on there (though I have seen it come up with sick builds a few times).

- When in doubt, run a simulation. This can take time but there's really not a better way to figure out if your loadout works or not. For ships that you won't be flying yourself, turn the autopilot on (U key) when the simulation starts to see how the AI handles the ship. The AI is good, but has some quirks that mean that it can't handle certain loadouts as well as the player can. When I'm designing a ship for the AI to fly, I give it a few rounds in the simulator against ships that I think should be a good match for it and see how it does.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
The biggest advice I can give for fitting an AI ship is to make it as flux neutral as possible, even if it means it feels anemic. The AI tends to back off as its own flux gets high when more often than not, it should press the advantage. Keeping the weapon flux and vent stats near each other means the AI will win flux wars and also press the attack. The AI also likes to dogpile overloaded ships so having a slight priority on shield-breaking is a plus.

Personally, I make most of my AI ships as self-contained as possible (i.e. lots of generalists) and it seems to work out for me. I lose ships very rarely and I don't worry about ships getting singled out all that often. With officers, this is doubly true.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Antimatter Blasters on frigates is positively disgusting. Watching them pick off other frigates,tankers, freighters, and shuttles with one shot is just so satisfying, plus they punch way over their weight as a result. Still can't really go head to head with a station, but warping in a bunch of them fitted with antimatter blasters, waiting for the AI to think that it's overmatching you, turning around, and then discovering the exact opposite is true is fun.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

winterwerefox posted:

Ballistics punch up a mount size against their specialty, down a class against their weakness. Its why large ballistic mounts are so rare. Energy does what it says on the tin, mostly. Sister ship to the Hammerhead, the Sunder, you put a high intensity laser, and 2 grav beams. Explosive and Kinetic damage again. Its all soft flux, but working with other ships can put pressure on shields to where any hard flux hits cause over load.

With ballistics I kind of came to the conclusion that their specialty is specifically kinetic damage, not HE. They have decent HE weapons, they are necessary to work against armour, but it really isn't the kind of damage they specialize in. I'd usually rather have a high intensity laser than any HE ballistic weapon.

That or the 6 cobra astral I named "fear the reapers".

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

FooF posted:

The biggest advice I can give for fitting an AI ship is to make it as flux neutral as possible, even if it means it feels anemic. The AI tends to back off as its own flux gets high when more often than not, it should press the advantage. Keeping the weapon flux and vent stats near each other means the AI will win flux wars and also press the attack. The AI also likes to dogpile overloaded ships so having a slight priority on shield-breaking is a plus.

Personally, I make most of my AI ships as self-contained as possible (i.e. lots of generalists) and it seems to work out for me. I lose ships very rarely and I don't worry about ships getting singled out all that often. With officers, this is doubly true.

One thing to keep in mind about this is that you can use a bit of head math and consider weapons that have non-overlapping arcs to not contribute their full flux generation to that total. Also be wary that any reloading weapon will use it's sustained flux stat for that calculation, not the burst.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

One thing:

If your ship has a missile slot, you should be using it in like 90% of cases, especially if it's going to be under AI control.

The AI is extremely good at timing missiles to hit exactly when something is overloaded, and they don't generate flux so they don't really effect the AI's priorities or behavior.

In general missiles are force multipliers, turning a relatively even fight into a 5v4 or something because all your ships dumped a rack of harpoons into something is a gamechanger.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Okay, I got far enough in the game that I have like a million and a half cash and (really) small fleet of like 5 combat ships that's working really well for me. I have never colonized a planet or had a base. Is there a good guide for this? I decided to look into it now because I found an alpha core and a pristine nanoforge just sitting taking up space now, and I'm had heard that's the big thing for base building. I also have a number of other cores and like 5 or so Synchrotron Cores. I can sell stuff to raise another 2 million or so if needed.

EDIT: As a side note I have three AI piloted Tempests with dual Heavy Blasters, a torpedo rack, and as much flux dissipation as I can give them. On paper the dissipation woefully outstrips it's ability to vent it but in practice they absolutely gently caress poo poo up. Ships exploding left and right. It doesn't seem like it should work well but it really does. It's hilarious. Anything faster than them they delete and anything slower they kite pretty well. Of course, I'm fairly early in I think.

Other than those three my only other combat ships are one Omen and the Medusa that I fly. My Medusa is running two Railguns, two Heavy Blasters and a pile of PD.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 15, 2020

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

I've heard this game described as Sid Meier's Pirates in space and I think that might have sold me on it. Been reading through the last few pages and appreciate the newbie tips already posted (shoutout Complications for linking that prior page with advice). One question I didn't see come up in the last few pages, should I play straight vanilla to begin with? Or are there "essential" mods I should be looking for to immediately either fix small quality of life issues?

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

I've heard this game described as Sid Meier's Pirates in space and I think that might have sold me on it. Been reading through the last few pages and appreciate the newbie tips already posted (shoutout Complications for linking that prior page with advice). One question I didn't see come up in the last few pages, should I play straight vanilla to begin with? Or are there "essential" mods I should be looking for to immediately either fix small quality of life issues?

Autosave mod :negative:

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Friction posted:

Leading Pip :negative:

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Friction posted:

Seconding both of these. Wow, look at these long range guns on this cruiser, too bad I can't hit the station cuz its rotating too fast and I'm trash.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

A White Guy posted:

Seconding both of these. Wow, look at these long range guns on this cruiser, too bad I can't hit the station cuz its rotating too fast and I'm trash.

Alternatively, put all your guns that aren't limited ammo or giant on computer control, and feel like you're really a captain directing your ship instead of the entire crew at once.

Your own experience will vary, depending on how much control you feel you need, but for me the AI gunners are better than I'll ever be and it's extremely satisfying.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Infidelicious posted:

The AI is extremely good at timing missiles to hit exactly when something is overloaded,

Be careful about relying too heavily on missiles as armour crackers because of this exact issue. If you watch the AI tournament the AI will promptly salvo Harpoons from launchers fleetwide when a single ship overloads. If your fleet is dependent on them for killing power (i.e. a frigate fleet fighting bigger ships) you potentially waste a lot of its punch if that first overload was some podunk frigate.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
Vanilla is extremely fine and good without any changes whatsoever. As people have said, though, Leading Pip is a nice little touch to just put you on a level playing field with the AI when it comes to aiming, without putting in countless hours to learn every weapon by feel.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

You can play the game 100% vanilla and it'll be a great experience. Leading Pip and Autosave are very nice, but far from necessary - you'll do just fine without them.

Modded Starsector is fantastic but spend some time with the vanilla game first to get a sense of the mechanics, learn to fly, and learn how different ships and weapons work. There are some amazing faction mods but there's no need to dig into those until you feel comfortable with the game.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

BitBasher posted:

Okay, I got far enough in the game that I have like a million and a half cash and (really) small fleet of like 5 combat ships that's working really well for me. I have never colonized a planet or had a base. Is there a good guide for this? I decided to look into it now because I found an alpha core and a pristine nanoforge just sitting taking up space now, and I'm had heard that's the big thing for base building. I also have a number of other cores and like 5 or so Synchrotron Cores. I can sell stuff to raise another 2 million or so if needed.

EDIT: As a side note I have three AI piloted Tempests with dual Heavy Blasters, a torpedo rack, and as much flux dissipation as I can give them. On paper the dissipation woefully outstrips it's ability to vent it but in practice they absolutely gently caress poo poo up. Ships exploding left and right. It doesn't seem like it should work well but it really does. It's hilarious. Anything faster than them they delete and anything slower they kite pretty well. Of course, I'm fairly early in I think.

Other than those three my only other combat ships are one Omen and the Medusa that I fly. My Medusa is running two Railguns, two Heavy Blasters and a pile of PD.

loving lmao at your fleet

just buy carriers until you die, then colonise wherever. you've got the capital to turn a black hole into a size 7 colony

e: railgun/heavy blaster Medusa is a solid player choice. i don't think the base game gets much better

Inexplicable Humblebrag fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 16, 2020

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

loving lmao at your fleet

Hah! Really I'm making money doing exploration missions and finding caches so do on. More ships just costs more to haul around and right now the ships I have have been murdering far larger fleets. That's the only reason I haven't expanded much. 2.2 supplies a day and 20 speed to move all over is kind of nice.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!
If you like stock capital ships, the Odyssey is brilliant in the hands of player. It's pretty good when run by an AI too, but it's just a lot of fun to zip around in, ramming stuff and wrecking everything. Put some wasps in the hangers.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Awesome, thanks all! Yeah I'm gonna give bigger mods like adding factions a rest until I've become comfortable with the game. Leading Pip and Autosave seem exactly like what I was asking for.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Awesome, thanks all! Yeah I'm gonna give bigger mods like adding factions a rest until I've become comfortable with the game. Leading Pip and Autosave seem exactly like what I was asking for.

One more you might want to consider is Skilled up! Skilled up removes the level cap and gives levels above 35 a much gentler exp curve so later levels don't take obscene amounts of grinding.

You won't really know if you want this until you've played for a bit, but thankfully this mod works fine being installed on existing saves. In my opinion too many of the skills are necessary to explore parts of the game (such as colonizing) and you really won't know which skills are any good or not on your first run.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I always seem to go back to the wolf as my favorite early game ship. Even later, with a slightly larger fleet, I keep a few of them around

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

BULBASAUR posted:

I always seem to go back to the wolf as my favorite early game ship. Even later, with a slightly larger fleet, I keep a few of them around

I cannot hear you over the sound of LP Lasher.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Z the IVth posted:

Be careful about relying too heavily on missiles as armour crackers because of this exact issue. If you watch the AI tournament the AI will promptly salvo Harpoons from launchers fleetwide when a single ship overloads. If your fleet is dependent on them for killing power (i.e. a frigate fleet fighting bigger ships) you potentially waste a lot of its punch if that first overload was some podunk frigate.

This is why I tend to prefer torpedoes over Harpoon racks. Since they have to be fired on target and from at least relatively nearby the AI won't always salvo off everything the first time an enemy overloads.

Usually. On occasion some enemy ship will get entirely and completely, outrageous obliterated by the 50,000 overkill damage of a dozen torpedoes at once. But thats just funny.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Nalesh posted:

I cannot hear you over the sound of my mobile star fortress grinding other starfortresses under it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Nalesh posted:

that's probably because the safety-overrides engine sounds like a blender going full pelt at all times, even when idling

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Do you think the luddites just deliberately drill holes in the engine cowl purely so that it makes the engine signature louder? I think they do.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Nalesh posted:

Don't worry, that'll stop within a minute or two. Usually after a very loud bang.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Rynoto posted:

While most of the ships are line ships designed for either short/long range brawling there are definitely exceptions that can easily evade most weapons or specialize in hit-and-run style tactics. These are usually more the realm of high-tech phase field/skimmer ships though which can be expensive to run and like glass cannons. The Wolf frigate is an especially good ship to start out with of this type and decently inexpensive.

Pirate Falcon is cheap enough to be your second ship, and if you deck it out with twin Heavy Autocannons and as many torpedoes as you can cram in there you can zip into the middle of a fight and murder the poo poo out of any enemy in the game, but God help you if you stay in any one place long enough for somebody to focus fire on you

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Mod recommendation: I've been using Gates Awakened on my current playthrough and I think it's a really solid addition to the game. It adds a small handful of story missions that let you activate a limited number of gates, some of which you can choose the location of and some of which you can't. It feels like a lighter-weight addition than the Active Gates mod, which I think lets you activate anything.

knob
May 25, 2005

knob

Manyorcas posted:

In my opinion too many of the skills are necessary to explore parts of the game (such as colonizing) and you really won't know which skills are any good or not on your first run.

I installed command console for this reason. Being able to respec made me feel better during my first game.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
There’s also a mod that raises the level cap so you can unlock all the skills - I think it’s skilled up. Makes you pretty OP tho

I’m transitioning my imperium fleet to capitals and bought the battlestar with my drug/organ money. Mixing mods is wild cause I loaded it with the wanzers from diable and it just blows up everything.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Wanzers are crazy. I can't really tell any of them apart or figure out which ones are the best, but it's not a big deal cause they all kick rear end.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Bold Robot posted:

Wanzers are crazy. I can't really tell any of them apart or figure out which ones are the best, but it's not a big deal cause they all kick rear end.

The big one especially kicks a lot of rear end, and they all make me wish someone would make a good gundam mod for Starsector.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I like DA stuff in general. Wanzers are definitely cool.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i'm sorry, i didn't quite get your name

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

...I played Starsector for over six hours straight today without noticing. Huh. Gonna be one of those games eh.

I'm doing pretty well right now but overall feel like I have no clue what I'm doing. I've just been taking random jobs to go survey random planets, grab whatever loot I can find while there, run from basically everything, and haul my winnings back. I have a small fleet now with a little bit of everything (a pair of destroyers, a frigate, my starting Wolf & Shepard, a fuel tanker, a small crew hauler, and a big fat cargo dude) that can manage to fight off weak opponents and get the job done overall, but I am definitely not optimal.

I hit $1m credits though after a huge score of like 1.3k organs & a shitton of blueprints on a random planet. I'm guessing the next step on the profit ladder is colonization?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

...I played Starsector for over six hours straight today without noticing. Huh. Gonna be one of those games eh.

I'm doing pretty well right now but overall feel like I have no clue what I'm doing. I've just been taking random jobs to go survey random planets, grab whatever loot I can find while there, run from basically everything, and haul my winnings back. I have a small fleet now with a little bit of everything (a pair of destroyers, a frigate, my starting Wolf & Shepard, a fuel tanker, a small crew hauler, and a big fat cargo dude) that can manage to fight off weak opponents and get the job done overall, but I am definitely not optimal.

I hit $1m credits though after a huge score of like 1.3k organs & a shitton of blueprints on a random planet. I'm guessing the next step on the profit ladder is colonization?

Yep, you're at the point where you should start a colony. For my first colony in each game I like to find a system that has the following characteristics:

- At least one planet with somewhat-low hazard rating (say, below 150%) and decent resources. This planet will be used for resource extraction.
- At least one more planet with low hazard rating. This planet will be used for industries that require raw materials, so having its own resources isn't important.
- Not too far from the core systems.
- Either a couple of stable locations to build makeshift comm relays, etc., or sometimes you can find systems that already have those things built.

Your colony will require a decent amount of attention to fend off pirates, raids, etc. until you really build up its defenses, which takes time. So, it really is helpful to pick one in a convenient location. For the same reason, I would rather colonize a system with two decent planets than two different systems with amazing planets. It might be somewhat less efficient in terms of return, but will end up being much easier to take care of overall and result in less time spent flying around.

Almost any colony will eventually print money given enough time and attention, so there's no need to wait until you find the perfect system (though it is nice when you do).