Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

That's basically my opinion on it. In terms of matters-to-player changes you won't see anything until you're into the colonies stage where invasions are something you can give and receive. Technically, yes, factions can kill each other but invasions don't trigger that often nor are AI invasions generally successful. The AI just doesn't prosecute wars the way human players do - and the point where you start basically map painting always has been endgame territory. I guess you could consider adding more endgame than purely nanoforge and synchrotron raiding and bounty hunting to be a massive change but I kind of don't see it that way? I am legit confused right now.

I mean, Nexerelin massively alters how the game plays once you load in a dozen factions (beyond how loading in a dozen factions itself involves massive balance changes) because the core becomes a morass of planets changing hands, byzantine alliance wars, and loving chaos and the overall knife-fight-in-phone-booth feel of how I'd expect a sector with a dozen or more factions to be. But if you're staying basically vanilla otherwise it's not... it's just not like that.

Nexerelin in a basically-vanilla playthrough simply lets the game's factions have some life to them. Hell, them occasionally sending strike fleets after raiding starbases alone ups how lifelike they feel by quite a lot.

Complications fucked around with this message at 06:56 on May 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

timn posted:

Except it doesn't really. It mostly just adds more ways for you to interact with factions and for factions to interact with each other. The gameplay itself is still very vanilla.

Don't forget the doom fleets! Fleets with a lot of capitals that is, not necessarily full of Dooms.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Plek posted:

Don't forget the doom fleets! Fleets with a lot of capitals that is, not necessarily full of Dooms.

That's vanilla. You may see more fleets like that in space going places due to Nex's raiding and invasions but the wall-o-capitals is much seen and bitched about especially when defending against expedition fleets as well as when bounties hit the higher end. edit: also pirate raiding fleets.

Nex does nothing to the fleet generation algorithm, nor does it change patrol fleets.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Plek posted:

Did someone say doom fleets?

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Huh, yeah I guess I never noticed it happening in vanilla. I didn't tend to see a lot of raids/invasions until I tried nex.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Complications posted:

That's vanilla. You may see more fleets like that in space going places due to Nex's raiding and invasions but the wall-o-capitals is much seen and bitched about especially when defending against expedition fleets as well as when bounties hit the higher end. edit: also pirate raiding fleets.

Nex does nothing to the fleet generation algorithm, nor does it change patrol fleets.

They're great if you're doing a salvage only playthrough.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

El Psi does not mess around :stare:

drat that was epic.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MySIT-RlpW0

I'm very glad someone figured out that laser torpedoes are a top tier weapon.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
They don't detonate when they run into something that's not their target, which is....not cool from a design perspective.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

OwlFancier posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MySIT-RlpW0

I'm very glad someone figured out that laser torpedoes are a top tier weapon.

I love those things, they’re so much fun to use.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
i don't like e-sports at all. but i unironically enjoy watching every starsector fleetbuilding tournament.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

DatonKallandor posted:

They don't detonate when they run into something that's not their target, which is....not cool from a design perspective.

this is my issue yeah, they'll just... bounce off and do nothing at all

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Considering all their advantages, not detonating on impact is a very small price to pay, IMO.

Like they're universally good against shield and hull, they're extremely accurate, good speed, detonate at range so resist PD, the beam spread makes them very hard to dodge for frigates which they are extremely lethal to, and are long ranged to boot.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Not detonating on impact is one of the things that makes them too good.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
I was watching the recent fleet building tournament and I don't recognize the green ships from the fifth wave, are they from a mod you can download?

Edit: just found it, it's from the updated Tahlan mod: https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=14935.0

TastyAvocado fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jun 6, 2020

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Learning this portrait existed while drinking something did not help my life expectancy.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Nalesh posted:

Learning this portrait existed while drinking something did not help my life expectancy.

Praise the Emperor, heretic.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
Installed Tahlan and there is some wild stuff when exploring if combined with Vayra's Sector. plague ship ristreza

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
I lucked into a XIVth Eagle, and I want to make it my flagship , but all my initial trials in the simulator were underwhelming. Not sure what to combine for beamspam, nor which ballistics to pair them with; suggestions for a potential loadout?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

How to eagle: 2 hypervelocity driver, 1 heavy mauler, 2 graviton beams, 1 ion beam, pd lasers in the smalls. Dedicated Targeting Core/Integrated Targeting Unit, hardened shields, max vents, throw the rest in capacitors.

For a flagship maybe think about instead running safety overrides with some mix of heavy machine guns, assault chainguns, and ion pulsers. It's usually better to use a falcon for that, tho.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i generally don't like flying anvils, and the eagle ain't a hammer

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
It’s a sledgehammer.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Ghost of Starman posted:

I lucked into a XIVth Eagle, and I want to make it my flagship , but all my initial trials in the simulator were underwhelming. Not sure what to combine for beamspam, nor which ballistics to pair them with; suggestions for a potential loadout?

This is going to seem really...weird...but trust me, it's bonkers.

Safety Overrides.

In the front Medium Ballistics: 2 Assault Chainguns (these will be "your" guns), 1 Heavy Machine Gun in the center
3 Small Energy up front: 2 PD Lasers on the side, Ion Cannon in the middle
3 Medium Energy: 2 Phase Lances straddling a Heavy Blaster
Leave the Missile and Rear Small Energy empty

Max Vents
Hardened Subsystems

Here's the trick: All your guns on autofire + Shields is less than your Flux dissipation (which means you can fire them indefinitely). When shields go down, you unload with the dual Assault CGs. Even without the Assault CGs, you have extreme armor penetrating power in the Phase Lances and Heavy Blaster (and even the Heavy Blaster is dealing 500 hard flux/sec). Phase Lances are surprisingly good at taking out fighters and the Heavy MG + PD Lasers give you a little of of PD as you take stuff head-on. If you start taking a lot of hard flux, just don't fire the Assault CGs and you'll start being flux positive again. The Eagle is fairly durable so you can drop shields to take a few hits. The Ion Cannon also helps with taking out enemy guns if you do need to drop shields.

Just be hyper-aggressive. The Eagle's maneuverability system works in reverse so use it to close distance but also to get away if necessary.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't fly eagles much cos there's usually better modded ships but yeah if you can fit all that on it's a solid loadout, only downside would be assault guns don't work very well against heavy armour for their cost, but yeah that's a solid point blank woodchipper setup for a ship. And eagles are pretty maneuverable. Your range is gonna be shorter than the length of your ship though :v:

But safety overrides and the pretty good flux core on an eagle is gonna give you a hell of a lot of dissipation ability.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Strongly recommend at least one ion beam on Falcon and Eagle. Ion Beams are fantastic.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

shieldcrackers, ion beams, torpedoes, oof

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I don't fly eagles much cos there's usually better modded ships but yeah if you can fit all that on it's a solid loadout, only downside would be assault guns don't work very well against heavy armour for their cost, but yeah that's a solid point blank woodchipper setup for a ship. And eagles are pretty maneuverable. Your range is gonna be shorter than the length of your ship though :v:

But safety overrides and the pretty good flux core on an eagle is gonna give you a hell of a lot of dissipation ability.

It does have short range but it's time-to-kill on even Dominators is downright disturbing. Once you get through shields, the Heavy Blaster and Phase Lances murder even heavy armor and the Assault CGs are more for raw DPS. I used to go duel Heavy MG and one Assault CG but I've found that since the Assault CG got buffed, it's just way more efficient to kill a ship outright faster.

The only thing I hate about SO Eagle is that it's a poor-man's Aurora in terms of speed. Even with Maneuvering Jets and SO, it's not going much faster than 150.

@DatonKallandor

Ion Beam rocks but it loses a lot of its luster on SO builds. I have put it on layouts like the one mentioned but a cheaper Ion Cannon does the job pretty well.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Has the aurora been removed from the game? I havent seen one in like 100 hours of gameplay

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

OctaMurk posted:

Has the aurora been removed from the game? I havent seen one in like 100 hours of gameplay

Nah they're just really rare. Unless you're just hanging around tri-tach fleets or shopping their military markets all the time you won't see them.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

After overlooking it for so long I finally decided to give the Keto from SCY a run and I now regret never giving it a go before. Certainly far more of a support ship than a battlecarrier it can really turn a fight with that siege gun shot.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
The scy ships are pretty solid. The missile (erymanthian boar) and armored (corocotta) cruisers are both awesome. Spam laser torps.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

It was a necessary nerf, but I miss the old singularity torpedo meta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwvCOdf8W98

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
Also, I get why we can repair at stations but instant repair is kind of cheesy. I camped out by Nortia and wiped out Lion’s Guard fleets for months for the bounties. Dock repaired after each fight/sold weapons and came out with more supplies then when I started.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Bloody Pom posted:

It was a necessary nerf, but I miss the old singularity torpedo meta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwvCOdf8W98

Oh my god that's amazing

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

did they ever update the music for the communist faction

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Well it's been over a year since .9.1

Update when

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
So I've hit the colony phase of the game (thanks to all for the advice re: Eagles, mine's been a wrecking ball so far), and they're getting close to being self-sufficient / paying for themselves / providing Heavy Industry. I guess my question is kind of... where does one go from here?

Is there a way in the base game to 'conquer' a faction other than sat-bombing them into dust, and if not is Nexerelin the mod to get?
Is there anything to shoot for as an endgame beyond 'annihilate all the other factions'?
Is that inevitable anyways as my colonies grow bigger and draw more attention, and/or will accepting a commission with someone prevent them from getting pissed off with me?
If I want specific ship blueprints do I have any recourse beyond raiding the faction it belongs to over and over?
What's the usual way to make the jump to proper capital ships, since I'm starting to encounter them but the ones I've seen for sale require a commission with the faction?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Tabletops posted:

Well it's been over a year since .9.1

Update when

If you check the blog updates and compare the dates, you will see that each major update has needed more time than the previous one. So yeah, at this pace will wave the 1.0 version in 2022 :(

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Lollin a bit that Starsector's development time will have outlasted SA.

No regrets for buying it though, it's one of my favorite games ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaou
Jan 26, 2005

Ghost of Starman posted:

Is there a way in the base game to 'conquer' a faction other than sat-bombing them into dust, and if not is Nexerelin the mod to get?
Is there anything to shoot for as an endgame beyond 'annihilate all the other factions'?
Is that inevitable anyways as my colonies grow bigger and draw more attention, and/or will accepting a commission with someone prevent them from getting pissed off with me?
If I want specific ship blueprints do I have any recourse beyond raiding the faction it belongs to over and over?
What's the usual way to make the jump to proper capital ships, since I'm starting to encounter them but the ones I've seen for sale require a commission with the faction?
No, yes.
Become the richest space prince, with all the slickest rides.
Yes, IIRC no.
Not in the base game, Nex has prism station, though.
In most games, my first cap will be a derelict Legion. Iron priced Conquests are also not uncommon as a first cap.