Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I often produce my first capital ship from a blueprint at one of my colonies. But otherwise yeah, derelict Legion XIV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Derelict Pandemonium :getin:

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Got that Starsector itch again after 6 months of playing other game, and since 9.2 is around the corner the long way around the block I figured now would be a good time to start playing again before the update breaks everything. Went through the Starsector forums to update my mods, and was just wondering if there was anything interesting I may have missed by chance that anyone can think of.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/19G68aL4Rx4-8J2E8IeK4AhIynq8ggQkzjK5oV_nsUiE/edit?usp=sharing

E: fixed for accuracy.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 1, 2020

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
"around the corner"

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Back Hack posted:

Got that Starsector itch again after 6 months of playing other game, and since 9.2 is around the corner the long way around the block I figured now would be a good time to start playing again before the update breaks everything. Went through the Starsector forums to update my mods, and was just wondering if there was anything interesting I may have missed by chance that anyone can think of.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/19G68aL4Rx4-8J2E8IeK4AhIynq8ggQkzjK5oV_nsUiE/edit?usp=sharing

E: fixed for accuracy.

I'd also recommend Transfer All Items, Logistics Notifications, Neutrino corp, Shadowyards, Sylphon, Shadowy Broker, Fringe Defense Syndicate (If you can tolerate well sprited star wars styled ships) Grytpype Moriarty, Logistics Notifications, Transponder Reminder, Speed Up, and Captains Log. You might have to check the discord for some of these (def Captain's log).

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

El Spamo posted:

"around the corner"

guy on the forums in May posted:

The last update took 531 days, the current one has been worked on for 372, thus we are 180 days away from matching that. But the last update also took 112 more days than the update before, that would bring us to about 290 days until the next one.

That post was made about 6 weeks ago, so we're 40+ days further in than when he said it. If what he said is true, we're looking at 5-8 months still. It would be a drat shame if there was no update at all this year (though it would be par for the course for 2020). Since Alex isn't sharing a lot, the patch doesn't feel like it has the same scope as the last two (which drastically changed the game), yet it could actually be bigger and we just don't know.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
He's got a day job too, yeah? I don't think starsector pays all his bills (yet).

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

FooF posted:

That post was made about 6 weeks ago, so we're 40+ days further in than when he said it. If what he said is true, we're looking at 5-8 months still. It would be a drat shame if there was no update at all this year (though it would be par for the course for 2020). Since Alex isn't sharing a lot, the patch doesn't feel like it has the same scope as the last two (which drastically changed the game), yet it could actually be bigger and we just don't know.

drat, the wait from version .9.9 to 1.0.0 will be like a decade then

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

El Spamo posted:

He's got a day job too, yeah? I don't think starsector pays all his bills (yet).

One of Alex's earliest blog posts was him talking about how he had quit his job to work on what was then Starfarer full time. Of course that was like 10 years ago so I dunno if that's still the case.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
To be fair, the stuff that he has implemented over the past 2-3 years is waaaaay more complicated than the earlier stuff. He's revamped the economy and skills like 4 times and the proc gen system was probably a bear. I imagine he's doing a lot of scripting of missions and end game content currently, in addition to creating all those visual effects and ships for an end game faction.

Like I said, this update may be huge but we we won't know it due to spoiler-y stuff.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The bigger a project grows, the bigger the complexity and the time needed to debug and balance the different systems. It's something almost exponential. This means: A game with a 30K line codebase doesn't need 'just' twice the time of a 15K line codebase, but several times more. I suspect that's why each update needs longer and longer to be released.

That said, i suspect it should be close already, Alex stopped posting in his Twitter, not even teasing anything, I think he is just focused on finishing the current upgrade.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Turin Turambar posted:

That said, i suspect it should be close already, Alex stopped posting in his Twitter, not even teasing anything, I think he is just focused on finishing the current upgrade.

Or he caught the rona :smith:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it's up to alpha core to finish the game for us...

dbaumgart
May 31, 2011

Zudgemud posted:

Or he caught the rona :smith:

Oh, he's fine.

Also FWIW I'm working on wrapping up my other 3-4 freelance contracts this month to be able to focus on Starsector.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

dbaumgart posted:

Oh, he's fine.

Also FWIW I'm working on wrapping up my other 3-4 freelance contracts this month to be able to focus on Starsector.

Hey you're an awesome developer and I like your blog posts a lot :)

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

dbaumgart posted:

Oh, he's fine.

thank you

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Does anyone have a good Adjusted Sector config? or configs in general?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

grimcreaper posted:

No such thing. It just makes the game run like poo poo while increasing the cost of exploration in the name of adding more nowhere systems for you to not get around to looking at.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

grimcreaper posted:

Here's mine. You'll have a ton of ruins, plenty of motherships to track down and cryoships to stumble into, some remnants scattered around, I pooped on SAD and Blade Breakers on account of not liking them but you can change that. This set runs pretty well on my admittedly aging system, and isn't too dense on the map. Don't forget to increase the amount of goodies if you want more stars.
code:
{

"plugins":{		
		"newGameSectorProcGen":"data.scripts.SectorProcGenMod",
		"newGameCreationEntryPoint":"data.scripts.world.SectorGenMod",
	},
	#Change the number below to increase or decrease the size of the Sector
	#"sectorWidth":164000,
	#"sectorHeight":104000,
	#"sectorConstellationSize":100,
	#"sectorConstellationCellSize":10,
	"sectorWidth":180000,
	"sectorHeight":148500,
	"AdjustedSectorConstellationCount":150,
	"AdjustedSectorConstellationSize":1000,
	"AdjustedSectorConstellationCellSize":5,

"sectorConstellationRemnantMin":15,
	"sectorConstellationRemnantMax":30,
	"sectorConstellationRemnantSkipProb":0,

"sectorConstellationRuinsMin":70,
	"sectorConstellationRuinsMax":130,

"sectorDerelictMotherships":15,
	"sectorDerelictCryosleepers":40,

#Random number of arcs apply to map
	#Vanilla value 20
	"AdjustedSectorRndArcs":30,

#Generate hyperstorms options.
	#"true" for generating hyperstorms, "false" to not generate hyperstorms.
	"AdjustedSectorHS":true,

#Accessibility will be base - 1 at that many light-years from center of mass
	#"accessibilityDistFromCOM":50,
	#"accessibilitySameFactionBonus":0.50,
	"accessibilityDistFromCOM":100,
	"accessibilitySameFactionBonus":0.75,

#If SAD is enabled, you can change the amount of SAD-themed constellations
	#"SanguinaryAnarchisticDefectors_sectorConstellationMin_AS":4,
	#"SanguinaryAnarchisticDefectors_sectorConstellationMax_AS":6,
	"SanguinaryAnarchisticDefectors_sectorConstellationMin_AS":1,
	"SanguinaryAnarchisticDefectors_sectorConstellationMax_AS":1,

#If DME is enabled, as well as random generated blade breaker systems, you can change the amount of said BB-themed constellations.
	#"BladeBreakerThemed_ConstellationMin_AS":3,
	#"BladeBreakerThemed_ConstellationMax_AS":5,
	#"BladeBreakerThemed_ConstellationSkipProb_AS":0.75,
	"BladeBreakerThemed_ConstellationMin_AS":1,
	"BladeBreakerThemed_ConstellationMax_AS":1,
	"BladeBreakerThemed_ConstellationSkipProb_AS":0.8,
}

dis astranagant posted:

No such thing. It just makes the game run like poo poo while increasing the cost of exploration in the name of adding more nowhere systems for you to not get around to looking at.
If your goodies:star system ratio isn't high enough, add more goodies in its config. Grand Sector has no such ability, but Adjusted Sector can make the place orders of magnitude richer. If it runs like poo poo, adjust the size and number of constellations down. Alternatively, hunt down the vanilla settings and then just increase the number of goodies.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I like using Adjusted Sector. I guess if you set it to a ton of systems it could tank performance but since you can tweak pretty much every setting, it's easy to keep things manageable while having interesting stuff to explore. :shrug:

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Looks neat, going to give it a try.
I'm disabling hyperspace storms this time around. I haven't found them fun, ever, so let's see how life is without them.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Complications posted:

Here's mine. You'll have a ton of ruins, plenty of motherships to track down and cryoships to stumble into, some remnants scattered around, I pooped on SAD and Blade Breakers on account of not liking them but you can change that. This set runs pretty well on my admittedly aging system, and isn't too dense on the map. Don't forget to increase the amount of goodies if you want more stars.
code:
{

"plugins":{		
		"newGameSectorProcGen":"data.scripts.SectorProcGenMod",
		"newGameCreationEntryPoint":"data.scripts.world.SectorGenMod",
	},
	#Change the number below to increase or decrease the size of the Sector
	#"sectorWidth":164000,
	#"sectorHeight":104000,
	#"sectorConstellationSize":100,
	#"sectorConstellationCellSize":10,
	"sectorWidth":180000,
	"sectorHeight":148500,
	"AdjustedSectorConstellationCount":150,
	"AdjustedSectorConstellationSize":1000,
	"AdjustedSectorConstellationCellSize":5,

"sectorConstellationRemnantMin":15,
	"sectorConstellationRemnantMax":30,
	"sectorConstellationRemnantSkipProb":0,

"sectorConstellationRuinsMin":70,
	"sectorConstellationRuinsMax":130,

"sectorDerelictMotherships":15,
	"sectorDerelictCryosleepers":40,

#Random number of arcs apply to map
	#Vanilla value 20
	"AdjustedSectorRndArcs":30,

#Generate hyperstorms options.
	#"true" for generating hyperstorms, "false" to not generate hyperstorms.
	"AdjustedSectorHS":true,

#Accessibility will be base - 1 at that many light-years from center of mass
	#"accessibilityDistFromCOM":50,
	#"accessibilitySameFactionBonus":0.50,
	"accessibilityDistFromCOM":100,
	"accessibilitySameFactionBonus":0.75,

#If SAD is enabled, you can change the amount of SAD-themed constellations
	#"SanguinaryAnarchisticDefectors_sectorConstellationMin_AS":4,
	#"SanguinaryAnarchisticDefectors_sectorConstellationMax_AS":6,
	"SanguinaryAnarchisticDefectors_sectorConstellationMin_AS":1,
	"SanguinaryAnarchisticDefectors_sectorConstellationMax_AS":1,

#If DME is enabled, as well as random generated blade breaker systems, you can change the amount of said BB-themed constellations.
	#"BladeBreakerThemed_ConstellationMin_AS":3,
	#"BladeBreakerThemed_ConstellationMax_AS":5,
	#"BladeBreakerThemed_ConstellationSkipProb_AS":0.75,
	"BladeBreakerThemed_ConstellationMin_AS":1,
	"BladeBreakerThemed_ConstellationMax_AS":1,
	"BladeBreakerThemed_ConstellationSkipProb_AS":0.8,
}
If your goodies:star system ratio isn't high enough, add more goodies in its config. Grand Sector has no such ability, but Adjusted Sector can make the place orders of magnitude richer. If it runs like poo poo, adjust the size and number of constellations down. Alternatively, hunt down the vanilla settings and then just increase the number of goodies.

Glad you posted this as the one i set up probably would have been awful. Giving it a start now!

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Decided to do a salvage-only game. Within four months Blackrock launched an assault on one of the SCY stations with 7 fleets.

I now have a number of BRDY and SCY ships, including a completely intact Imaginos.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Pollution from glassing a planet is perm right? Ive read some things that say that player-induced pollution is on a timer.

Edit: is there a way and or a mod that just makes the core sector empty. Id like to see what a completely fresh start would look like.

Gaj fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jul 23, 2020

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Gaj posted:

Pollution from glassing a planet is perm right? Ive read some things that say that player-induced pollution is on a timer.

Edit: is there a way and or a mod that just makes the core sector empty. Id like to see what a completely fresh start would look like.

The vanilla core sector? Not really, no. You can mess around with Nexerelin's random sector generation algorithm to only spawn one planet of one faction to get close though.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

It's Discord-exclusive at the moment, but the Templars are back and updated for 0.9.1a. They showed up in the final round of the recent fleet building tournament. :getin:

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

They're also overpowered as gently caress. :v:

e: Tahl new mod

ScalarTech Solution

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 23, 2020

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Bloody Pom posted:

It's Discord-exclusive at the moment, but the Templars are back and updated for 0.9.1a. They showed up in the final round of the recent fleet building tournament. :getin:

What's their custom star fortress look like?

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
They don't have one yet; the mods prior campaign integration has to be rebuilt significantly, so they basically only exist in missions and random Nex right now.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Gaj posted:

If you satbomb then the pollution is permenant. If you want a planet without the satbombing penalty, raid the starport a few times so it's disabled for more than a year AND they have -10 stability, come back in a year and 6 months and the colony will have decivilized, then to get rid of the decivilization, just colonise it, abandon colony, then colonize it again. This won't work in the next version.

There are mods that let you remove decivilized and pollution.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

SugarAddict posted:

If you satbomb then the pollution is permenant. If you want a planet without the satbombing penalty, raid the starport a few times so it's disabled for more than a year AND they have -10 stability, come back in a year and 6 months and the colony will have decivilized, then to get rid of the decivilization, just colonise it, abandon colony, then colonize it again. This won't work in the next version.

There are mods that let you remove decivilized and pollution.

Im looking at those terraforming mods. But I want to start alone without anyone else. I also have the console command mond, is there a "kill planet" command I missed?

Gaj fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jul 23, 2020

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Back Hack posted:

By design. They're very much supposed to be a boogeyman/endgame challenge for the player. The most recent dev build did buff the flux stats of some their weapons to make fitting them on other hulls more viable, though.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Gaj posted:

Im looking at those terraforming mods. But I want to start alone without anyone else. I also have the console command mond, is there a "kill planet" command I missed?

Boggled's set of terraforming and station building mods is pretty good and customizable to your tastes. Requires quite a bit of investment and I believe it no longer allows you to turn the Nex outposts into actual stations.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

Taerkar posted:

Boggled's set of terraforming and station building mods is pretty good and customizable to your tastes. Requires quite a bit of investment and I believe it no longer allows you to turn the Nex outposts into actual stations.

I have the game updated and it works with 2 other mods, but when I drop the terraforming mod in nothing seems to be different. No new building changes.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
It should have added some station building and a terraforming button to your hotbar. I can't remember if they are actually on the bar yet, but if you right-click on it there should be a list of options to swap in.

e: You can only build certain buildings on certain worlds, so there's a chance your planet is really weird.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

There should also be a number of new facilities you can build on colonies, though some will only be available if you turn them on in the config file. The spice must flow!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So I found a new fun build.

Great Houses of Kassadar Onslaught, no shields, forced overdrive, damped mounts, extended mags, ITU and all the medium mounts full of fusion torches. Small mounts full of Fission CIWS from Kadur, large mounts any flux efficient short range high volume guns you can find, mix of kinetic and HE.

It basically boosts into the middle of fleets and instantly deletes any nearby frigates and destroyers, constantly redlining flux and also shooting down all the missiles and fighters because it just fills the entire local volume with plasma fire. It'd probably also work with the plasma flamer too, but fusion torches do like 2000 frag damage and with expanded mags + the fire rate reduction from damped mounts they can basically shoot forever. They also have a special effect where they do between 2 and 10 HE damage on hits to hull so they can strip the armour off anything smaller than a heavy cruiser very effectively.

It is so much goddamn fun to use, an incredibly good brawler, and you're always on the lookout too because anything with big HE guns that gets them pointed at you will kill you good, so you gotta constantly be moving and turning and using your cavalry drive to reposition behind or away from large targets.

I swapped out the heavy loadouts to dong superheavy MGs on the side mounts and a hellbore in the middle, just to crack capital armour, but your main challenge is trying to fill all the slots without redlining it.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Plek posted:

It should have added some station building and a terraforming button to your hotbar. I can't remember if they are actually on the bar yet, but if you right-click on it there should be a list of options to swap in.

e: You can only build certain buildings on certain worlds, so there's a chance your planet is really weird.

This may have been patched in latter versions but, Boggled Terraforming checks against a list of planets that doesn't include every single mod added planet type. Which is fine as those are usually special planets but, once I colonized a "Rocky Ice" planet that seemed normal until I tried to terraform it, noticed that it had no such options, checked in the save and found out it was the same (and unsupported) planet type as Junk Pirate's Glory, which for some reason is added to procgen systems.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Back Hack posted:

e: Tahl new mod

ScalarTech Solution

Really like these designs, anyone try the mod or that guy's previous one? How do they stack up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Nia's mods are at least on par with Tartiflette's offerings IMO, his stuff is all really high-quality. Sylphon R&D was his first crack at things and is mostly in upkeep mode at the moment, but still has some really strong additions such as the Valestri heavy cruiser, which can facetank capitals without breaking a sweat. Also, shock cannons straight out of Space Battleship Yamato.

Fun fact about ScalarTech: Their carriers don't have traditional hangar bays, instead they maintain stable wormholes to a dedicated planetside hangar complex :science: