Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

qnqnx posted:

That's Arsenal Expansion, and the 9th never had any Nexerelin support coded in. And now this mod is being deprecated, RIP.

I'm fairly sure both Mechanicus ships also show up as manually placed derelicts. They also own, the Throne and Providence in general are some good drat ships.

Nah the admech skins both only show if you pick the starter boat, I was party to arguments about this on the now hated starsector discord. They're not intended to spawn otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
The only problem with those ships is having to resist the urge to slam them into my fleet irrelevant of what type of fleet I'm using.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
I have that issue with Phocas. 15 DP for AAF and 4 medium ballistics? I'm not sure how many Phocas is too many Phocas but I've not found it yet.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Psycho Landlord posted:

Nah the admech skins both only show if you pick the starter boat, I was party to arguments about this on the now hated starsector discord. They're not intended to spawn otherwise.

Maybe it changed in later updates but I have even searched through the saves and always placed one admeech Providence and one admech Throne. Would need to check the derelict placing script for if they got removed.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
One thing I don't like about the hmi and Magellan mods are the super sweet derelicts in predefined spots. The Mallory cruiser in Magellan and in HMI all the midtech ships that are upgraded to high tech are too tempting to not pick up once I get out to those systems. I'd rather they be seeded in random systems.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

HMI also ads a few XIV ships in the center of the Kamikaze system.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

qnqnx posted:

Maybe it changed in later updates but I have even searched through the saves and always placed one admeech Providence and one admech Throne. Would need to check the derelict placing script for if they got removed.

Maybe they're not intended to but do anyway? This was a good few months ago. Not that it really matters either way because tahlan derelicts are all randomly placed/salvageable save for the halbmond and traum kinda so your chances of running into one and having Your Immersion Ruined is pretty low.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
What mods have stories or quests? I did manage to fight a boss from hmi and I have a legacy of ark Genesis quest.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Psycho Landlord posted:

Maybe they're not intended to but do anyway? This was a good few months ago. Not that it really matters either way because tahlan derelicts are all randomly placed/salvageable save for the halbmond and traum kinda so your chances of running into one and having Your Immersion Ruined is pretty low.

Immersion? gently caress that, put in the matching plasma cannons on the AdMech Providence and show the Hegemony. what is proper firepower.
As for the weirdness on if those ships are actually manually placed, found out what is actually happening. According to tahlan_DerelictsSpawnScript.java, the AdMech ships, and a few other unique ships that are neither the Halbmond nor the [database_error] ships are all set to be manually placed, but each of them has a 60% chance of actually being spawned. Except for the Traumtanzer, which always spawns.
So yeah, intentionally placed but not always placed. And the comments say that a mere chance of spawning is because of forced recovery through Story Points.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Psycho Landlord posted:

If you go to Lethia you are guaranteed a Legion (GH), an Onslaught (GH), a Vale and a ristreza.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
There's consistent derelicts everywhere from pretty much any faction mod. You can go from a shuttle to a complete grand fleet with one trip to a pulsar in the core.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Kris xK posted:

There's consistent derelicts everywhere from pretty much any faction mod. You can go from a shuttle to a complete grand fleet with one trip to a pulsar in the core.

Yeah that is kinda lame. I know at least one mod locks them behind an encounter but I wish more would do that, at least then it's more gated and you feel like you deserve it instead of just passing it by while buying supplies in the core.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
is hazard mining inc. good? what about volkov?

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

HMI has some pretty decent gimmicks & plenty of armour tank type shenanigans. VIC are also pretty fun, One of their frigates is honestly a ton of fun (cant recall name of it). Weapons are fun, before it got nerfed the Large slot railgun VIC got used to pretty much delete anything you shot with it.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
HMi is good enough to be vanilla almost.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Is there a way to figure out why I am crashing to desktop in starsector? It has been happening a lot. One mod, max level mod, plus some settings.json editing I did to allow more contacts and administrators, otherwise fully vanilla

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Donkringel posted:

Is there a way to figure out why I am crashing to desktop in starsector? It has been happening a lot. One mod, max level mod, plus some settings.json editing I did to allow more contacts and administrators, otherwise fully vanilla

Go into the starsector-core folder and open starsector.log in Notepad++ or Wordpad or similar slightly-better-than-Notepad program (it's a little bit too big for Notepad). Go to the bottom and check out what the error is, and maybe read back a bit in whichever thread it came from.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Any advice for flying phase ships? I'm terrible at them so far.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
They're pretty useless on their own. Build for as much burst damage as you can do and try not to stray from your fleet. Even minor frigates can ruin your day if they harass you until you're dead in the water and flux out.
Capacitors are probably more important so you can do your thing and move away to a safe place to vent.

With the right build they can do some disgusting things but they're incredibly fragile.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

iospace posted:

Any advice for flying phase ships? I'm terrible at them so far.

I find them hard to pilot personally. I’m too poo poo to maneuver correctly and am too used to relying on shields tbh. But yeah you gotta fight when nothing can hit you which means mostly taking out stragglers or ships not being covered by other ones.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

I'm also bad at phase ships but my 2 cents

The 'assassin' playstyle of deleting high value target is really fun but
1) don't get too far from your battle lines. You need the pressure of other ships; someone has to keep their shields occupied so you can get your AM blasters up in dat rear end
2) Being an annoyance who peels off defenders in a wild goose chase is valuable in its own right. Don't let thirst for those sweet sweet killshots lure you into overextending. When you gently caress up and get in over your head in a phase ship, you gently caress up HARD*. Discretion is the better part of valor.

*Doom can take a couple on the chin but good Doom piloting is galaxy brain dark wizardy

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Sandweed posted:

If you go to Lethia you are guaranteed a Legion (GH), an Onslaught (GH), a Vale and a ristreza.

Neither the vale or the legion are guaranteed, nor is the timeless proto in the sme debris field. I don't think I've ever failed to salvage the ristreza though.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Phase ships need to be flown like superfrigates pretty much. You have insane mobility and firepower but you'll die if anyone even sneezes at you. I'm pretty good at flying them but I still generally leave them to the AI unless I have a goofy mod ship like the Sierra or a Doom or Zigg or something. They're almost always going to die in any protracted battle, especially after the speed nerfs.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Larry Parrish posted:

Phase ships need to be flown like superfrigates pretty much. You have insane mobility and firepower but you'll die if anyone even sneezes at you. I'm pretty good at flying them but I still generally leave them to the AI unless I have a goofy mod ship like the Sierra or a Doom or Zigg or something. They're almost always going to die in any protracted battle, especially after the speed nerfs.

Funny I prefer the Hyperion because it’s an insane shield tank with SO

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tabletops posted:

Funny I prefer the Hyperion because it’s an insane shield tank with SO

It's kind of the exception to the rule since it has such a good flux capacitor

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Psycho Landlord posted:

Neither the vale or the legion are guaranteed, nor is the timeless proto in the sme debris field. I don't think I've ever failed to salvage the ristreza though.

Are you playing with some mod that fucks with story point recovery?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Sandweed posted:

Are you playing with some mod that fucks with story point recovery?

That's not the same thing as guaranteed!

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Unless you go out of your way to be out of SP it pretty much is.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I love how SP is implemented. It makes it so you earn them regularly, even at max level, so you're actually encouraged to use them instead of letting them sit until the end of the game, collecting dust.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
I still hoard them like a moron though and barely use them until I've already completed the current storyline.

Giving bonus XP to earn them back if you use them is pretty clever though so it's definitely wiser to use them regularly.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s easy to drop a bunch on colonies, so I save up some to do that. Might as well get the accessibility/growth bonuses from the start.

I always mentor my officers. If my flagship and most of my officered ships don’t have as many S-mods as I can fit on it, I’m either in dire straights or trying something weird. Atlas/Prometheus also get modded to the gills when I first get a fleet large enough to tote them around.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Logistics ships are a great investment for story points pretty much always. They are rarely in the line of fire and essential to making money.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Logistics ships are always the first smods for me. loving Expanded Crews/Berth/Fuel w/ Militarized subsystems and 1-2 Engine mods...

On the plus side it usual stays in my fleet from the beginning to the end.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
On atlas/Prometheus/transport (the stealth transport) I do a mix of:

Sensors or Survey equipment
Effiency overhaul
Militarized subsystems
Expanded cargo/fuel/berths
Insulated engine

3 as SP and two as hullmods
3 atlas, 1 Prometheus, 1 transport, 2 salvage, 1 tug.

The rest are combat ships and Ive been leaning pretty hard toward more cruisers and less capital ships.

Also I got this sweet ship from legacy of ark Genesis called The lancer. Are there any more like it? It has pretty crazy stats and unlocked some funny guns for me to build with.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Molybdenum posted:

On atlas/Prometheus/transport (the stealth transport) I do a mix of:

Sensors or Survey equipment
Effiency overhaul
Militarized subsystems
Expanded cargo/fuel/berths
Insulated engine

3 as SP and two as hullmods
3 atlas, 1 Prometheus, 1 transport, 2 salvage, 1 tug.

The rest are combat ships and Ive been leaning pretty hard toward more cruisers and less capital ships.

Also I got this sweet ship from legacy of ark Genesis called The lancer. Are there any more like it? It has pretty crazy stats and unlocked some funny guns for me to build with.
AFAIK it's a unique supership

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I don’t S-mod militarized subsystem cause eventually I done want my logistics ships taking up combat ship cap.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Combat ship cap? I can only have 30 ships in my fleet before I start paying extra in supplies. Do civilian hulls not count to that limit? That makes me appreciate venture cruisers even more.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Every Deployment Point assigned to a combat ship eats into the skill limits.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah there are several skills that affect either combat or civilian ships, and generally you don't want ships you aren't using in combat to count as combat ships, and also the civvy skills make non-militarized ships faster, which is how you get a burn speed 11 atlas mk2. Very helpful for the mega logistics ships that are very slow otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
i use minimal preparation from scy when i get it. way better than efficiency overhaul

also if I can get them, I prefer to run revenants only and no other logistics ships. I never do giant fleets to begin with and all I do pretty much is exploration, bounties and occasionally trade once I'm done doing those things so I don't need to carry around 30,000 supplies for my ginormo fleet or whatever. I like to keep it under ~9s/d at most.