Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

If I have a Buffalo tagging along with my fleet, I never deploy it right? Also, how do I catch things with how loving slow it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Skyl3lazer posted:

If I have a Buffalo tagging along with my fleet, I never deploy it right? Also, how do I catch things with how loving slow it is.

Get tugs from the new system's base, they increase your slowest moving ship's speed. You can attach more tugs to larger ship categories.

You could always deploy it for emegergencies, just don't use it at the front like the AI does.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

THE BAR posted:

Get tugs from the new system's base, they increase your slowest moving ship's speed. You can attach more tugs to larger ship categories.

You could always deploy it for emegergencies, just don't use it at the front like the AI does.

Tugs are a thing that exist?

Well then.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

If you do deploy a Buffalo II, make sure you tell it to hang back. Then if things go south, you can always pray for it to poo poo on something with a desperate AM Blaster shot.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
Also, for any support ships like that, there's no reason not to give them unstable injectors, and the other engine upgrade, which adds an extra burn. The only downside is in combat, which they should never be in.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Buffalos aren't bad as dedicated missle boats but you need to make sure nothing even floats near them or they explode.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
How do you attach a tug? Just have it part of your fleet?

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Saint Celestine posted:

How do you attach a tug? Just have it part of your fleet?

Just have it in your fleet, they automatically speed up the ship with the slowest burn.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

AParadox posted:

Actually, since the last patch I feel this is no longer true. They have some insane amount of emp damage now, and 2 lances can shut down a battlecruiser completely for 10 sec or more in one salvo. This made soloing a paragon with an onslaught a much less trivial task than it used to be.

Speaking of favorite ships, I am a fan of enforcer/dominator/onslaught line of ships. They are so cheap yet can beat easily almost any other ship in its own class, with only enforcer/medusa and onslaught/paragon matchups being kinda iffy.

You do need to play with dominator and onslaught in a much different way than other capships, as in, never use shields(unless torpedoes, piranha bombers dump, or tachyon lances), let your huge amount of armor tank it and let your enemies overload due to their own sustained fire and a combo of your kinetic weapons and annihilator rockets . Also use burn drive to get into the fight before other capships can, or to get out of sticky situations.

With that said, the AI on dominator and onslaught is kinda bad and will overload itself into uselessness at any given chance.

Yeah, armor ships kinda kick rear end. You burn drive into the enemy's face and let your armor protect you while dump damage into some high-tech rear end in a top hat until his shield overloads and he folds like a paper bag. You really don't want to get into standoffish flux wars because your shields are just too lovely to win that kind of fight and your mobility is really only good for getting up in grills (or running away afterwards if your engines are still online). You will gradually bleed armor while the enemy backs off from pressure until you eventually die.

Unfortunately, the AI really does like to use those shields like it's an Aurora or something.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Does anyone recall the few details on how Industry will work? Is it about setting up mining operations, or ship factories, or something else? Can I hop in a mining ship and blast apart asteroids for ore? I seem to remember something being mentioned but I can't find anything.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

spider wisdom posted:

Does anyone recall the few details on how Industry will work? Is it about setting up mining operations, or ship factories, or something else? Can I hop in a mining ship and blast apart asteroids for ore? I seem to remember something being mentioned but I can't find anything.
He hasn't actually given any details about that yet that I know of. There will presumably be station building and some type of mining, but whether the mining is automated (more likely) or manual (less likely) we don't know yet.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I've recently found a love of warthogs. Although they have loving horrendously slow speed they do however have fire power probably equivalent to a couple of lashers between them. They're pretty good in pursuit because although they'll never catch anything up in time, they'll make short work of anything your thunders have disabled.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Voyager I posted:

Yeah, armor ships kinda kick rear end. You burn drive into the enemy's face and let your armor protect you while dump damage into some high-tech rear end in a top hat until his shield overloads and he folds like a paper bag. You really don't want to get into standoffish flux wars because your shields are just too lovely to win that kind of fight and your mobility is really only good for getting up in grills (or running away afterwards if your engines are still online). You will gradually bleed armor while the enemy backs off from pressure until you eventually die.

Unfortunately, the AI really does like to use those shields like it's an Aurora or something.

There should be a ramming ship. Like that one hilarious mod with the hammer ship that was literally a flying hammer.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Saint Celestine posted:

There should be a ramming ship. Like that one hilarious mod with the hammer ship that was literally a flying hammer.

I like the idea tremendously. Just rip everything the ramming frigate from Homeworld: Cataclysm did.

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012
Is it me or piranha bombers are much worse than they used to be? They seem to start deploying bombs much latter now, doing much less damage in a single run and sometimes just get shotdown by point defense before even firing a shot.

Also, is there any way to get a hold on Astral carrier now? I would love to have one for my fighters horde fleet.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

AParadox posted:

Also, is there any way to get a hold on Astral carrier now? I would love to have one for my fighters horde fleet.

I found one for sale in the new system.

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.

Skyl3lazer posted:

Drone_Fragger posted:

Buffalos aren't bad as dedicated missle boats but you need to make sure nothing even floats near them or they explode.

It's important to note that Buffalos are very, very different from Buffalo IIs. If you have a Buffalo, you should never deploy it. If you have a Buffalo II, it can be useful in combat as a missile boat if you give it some decent missile weapons and PD.

And yeah, I second what the others said about unstable injectors etc. on every ship, especially support ships.

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

THE BAR posted:

I found one for sale in the new system.

Huh, 9 month in game time and still no astral there, just a conquest. I wonder if killing their defense fleets multiple times has to do with this in any way.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Paging Shaolin -

Requesting a Blackrock ship with massive engines and extremely heavy frontal armor .

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

AParadox posted:

Huh, 9 month in game time and still no astral there, just a conquest. I wonder if killing their defense fleets multiple times has to do with this in any way.
Inventory turnover's a bit out of whack ATM apparently, 60% of new ships are fighters.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Saint Celestine posted:

Paging Shaolin -

Requesting a Blackrock ship with massive engines and extremely heavy frontal armor .

A tiny, super dense ship. No weapons, no shields. Tons of armor and burst jets to ram things.

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

Talkie Toaster posted:

Inventory turnover's a bit out of whack ATM apparently, 60% of new ships are fighters.

Yeah, the new system seems to favor fighters over everything else, while the tri-tachyon station have a stock of 7 paragons(and no tachyon lances) for some bloody reason.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Kersch posted:

A tiny, super dense ship. No weapons, no shields. Tons of armor and burst jets to ram things.

In fact, just take an asteroid and attach engines to it.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Saint Celestine posted:

Paging Shaolin -

I'll make something like that when I resurrect this mod :getin: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=5812.0

You guys need to play Thule Legacy. There is a loving missile weapon in it that is an asteroid with big rocket engines, and makes up 50% of the length of the ship that mounts it.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Isn't that kind of what the Gondactylus does already?

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Pretty much, if the pilot knows what's up.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
I really hope boarding gets fixed soon. Right before the patch came out I was playing a 'hostile to everyone' game in Uomoz's mod and it was great fun building up from a single frigate up to a wolfpack and ultimately grabbing one of those Nomad battleships with all the front heavy energy turrets, relying purely on the luck of what I could board. Made the fleet feel so much more 'mine', even if a lot were replicated at the omnifactory over time.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
I've had this game for a while and this thread inspired me to redownload it and try it out. I like a lot of the new stuff that was added but I have a serious question. I know people are talking about how valuable supplies are but how do i stop my ship from constantly hemorrhaging supplies? With the starting lasher I basically am on a constant time limit to find another pirate fleet to kill. I had to stop playing because I was losing 40 supply a day and it got to the point where just flying around for 15 seconds almost kills me. What am I doing wrong here? Or is there a way to lower the rate you use supplies?

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Space Bat posted:

I've had this game for a while and this thread inspired me to redownload it and try it out. I like a lot of the new stuff that was added but I have a serious question. I know people are talking about how valuable supplies are but how do i stop my ship from constantly hemorrhaging supplies? With the starting lasher I basically am on a constant time limit to find another pirate fleet to kill. I had to stop playing because I was losing 40 supply a day and it got to the point where just flying around for 15 seconds almost kills me. What am I doing wrong here? Or is there a way to lower the rate you use supplies?

If you're using up that many supplies with a solo lasher you either already have a million supplies (and it's costing you extra to maintain the cargo space) or you have way too many crew (same with the cargo thing).

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

Flame112 posted:

If you're using up that many supplies with a solo lasher you either already have a million supplies (and it's costing you extra to maintain the cargo space) or you have way too many crew (same with the cargo thing).

Ah, yeah I think I figured out the problem. I gave my marines the boot and sold a bunch of fuel and it started balancing out.

Space Bat fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 18, 2013

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed
Going to go ahead and say that this game is an absolutely fantastic piece of entertainment. Roving about the stars and preying on whatever hapless dudes are near is hells of fun, and I'm loving it.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Is there some way to store extra ships that you don't want to take out back at a station?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Leif. posted:

Is there some way to store extra ships that you don't want to take out back at a station?

There is an abandoned station in the first solar system that lets you store ships for later.

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.
You can also set their combat readiness level to "mothballed" or 0% in the fleet menu I think, which should make them stop consuming supplies but still travel around with you. (disclaimer: i have not actually tried doing this)

Kitan
Jul 18, 2008
Rather than a ramming ship, what about a ship that uses an Omni-shield like a weapon?
Flying right by the enemy at high speed and whacking them with my shield hard enough that my shield overloads and they loving explode is amazing.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

The Good Professor posted:

You can also set their combat readiness level to "mothballed" or 0% in the fleet menu I think, which should make them stop consuming supplies but still travel around with you. (disclaimer: i have not actually tried doing this)

Supplies are not my issue -- it's more that I have a ridiculous number of supplies and credits but my character's XP is lower than I'd like and because I have some slower ships in my fleet it's tough to catch things fast enough (most pirates are scared of me.) So if I could drop off my Condor, Medusa, and Mule for a bit and roll with a pure frigate wolfpack, I'd want to do that.

Additionally, it may be obvious to other people, but I felt like I figured out some sort of hidden secret on how supplies work -- when you feel like you're hemorrhaging supplies, hover your mouse over the supplies portion of your info window, and then hit F1 for more information -- it'll tell you where they're going. If you're suddenly at -20/day or something after a battle, it's probably going a) towards repairing any armor or hull damage, and b) refilling your CR, which can take up to a couple of days. Having a crew shortage under the skeleton-crew requirement can do it as well; as does having more than the maximum of cargo, crew, or fuel. But the most common cause for high supply usage is going to be refilling CR and repairing armor. Since both of these things happen after a battle, if you're ping-ponging from fight to fight you're going to see an abnormally high supply usage rate. After a short while, you'll see it drop back down to a more normal rate. Though, you can always go into the station and use the Repair option, and you'll be instantly back at max CR, fully repaired, and your supply usage should be back at normal (again, barring issues with crew or cargo).

Incidentally, this means that when you dock at a station, and make some sort of changes that affect your max CR (such as buying more elite crew or something), your supplies will be off again. A quick repair usually costs 0-5 supplies and solves the problem.

The other thing that I noticed is that the listed supply usage rate per day doesn't seem to be the actual drain rate. I've got a fleet of a Wolf, Lasher, Mule, Condor, Xyphos wing, and a Medusa, that uses 1.9 supply/day, but based on the statistics for each of those ships, if you were to add them up it looks like it should be far far more than that (at least 7-10x more). Not sure if that's a bug, or just confusing statistics, or what.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Ships at full CR only consume 10% of their nominal logistics rating to maintain. Mothballed ships are similar, meaning they're cheap but not free to keep around (they will also count for your travel speed, so be careful dragging around mothballed capitals). Keep them at the abandoned station.

5 is the minimum speed you want your fleet to move at; it will still let you track down the Buffalo herds. A few points in Navigation will get you there, with maybe the help of a handful of tugboats if you want to keep a few bigger ships around.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
The Venture-class cruisers you might run into leading small pirate carrier groups can eat a loving dick. The furthest I've ever gotten with a character, flying a Hammerhead, gets spit out of a wormhole right after I finally remember to save right between two pirate carrier fleets which I'd be able to beat with room to spare (because my Mule makes a great tank, and the AI with a Wolf wrecks all kind of poo poo) if it weren't for those loving Ventures, which just laugh off my railguns, the heaviest things short of the two Reaper torps I can throw at them.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
Just stumbled on this thread, and man oh man. I spent so much time in EV: Nova tooling around in an IDA Frigate full of railguns back in college. So much time in fact that I'm not sure I ever need to play a game like this again, but I will say this one looks like it might be pretty awesome. I think I'll keep tabs on its development anyway, for the nostalgia factor if nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
I don't understand what the burn increasing skill does.

I can't remember the name but it's the rightmost skill in the aptitude list that has the ordnance point bonuses and such. First point in it gives you some sort of vague 1/1/0/0/0 burn bonus or something. I didn't notice any difference in my travel speed after taking it though. Had two cruisers (Dominator and the silly one with one frontal medium energy) and one destroyer (Enforcer) at the time.