Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

ErKeL posted:

No one are allowed nanoforges but I. With my 10,000marine battalion there's nothing I won't take from the core worlds.

In other news though I'm getting my rear end absolutely handed to me in late game battles. Even with a stack of frigates to capture beacons in battle I can't seem to deploy more than a handful of poo poo while an equal sized opponent deploys like 3x capitals along with their entire chaff fleet.

I was able to beat fleets with 300% or more xp bonus with The Ziggurat.

Use phase cloak to move zig to the furthest Comm array and capture it, easily crushing any frigates or destroyers that approach before the capture -> send allied ships to capture the second comm array if there is one, use the extra 60 deployment points to get the rest of my combat ships in, then just smoke the most dangerous capital ships one at a time with the zig while the rest of my fleet cleans up. Between Hardened Subsystems and skills I can keep on the board for 16 minutes of combat

Its really a bit much for a single ship, the plot makes it seem like there should be some major downside for using it but there just isn't in the current version other than the long repair time between battles, it's a capital ship that can cover huge distances near instantly. You should be able to sacrifice it for an extra skill point or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Is the number of domain survey motherships fixed? I have taken down the two I know of an no Nanoforge.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Is the number of domain survey motherships fixed? I have taken down the two I know of an no Nanoforge.

Just steal the one from Chicomoztoc.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

I think I broke the campaign, though I never upgraded from RC8 seeing as I wanted to keep the save.

During the scan-the-gates mission I went into Magec, met the Tri-Tach fleet there, and because I was in hostilities with them from their bounty hunter attacking me earlier told them to gtfo or get shot to pieces. I chose to be this diplomatic because I *was* technically representing the Galatian Academy with this. They said "fine, we'll leave," didn't leave, I shot them to pieces, and I still couldn't scan the gate after their fleet went yelping out of the system. I had discovered six gates outside the core so I sighed, took the hint, and went out there.

Then I got to the mission to rescue the girlfriend engineer from Kanta's Den, went there, smashed the battlestation and tactical-bombarded the place, then did the raid/rescue. After which the plot said that I'd better escape because Kanta had just recalled all her raiding fleets because she was pissed at me exercising my preexisting grudge from her breaking a ransom deal earlier in the campaign. It gave me the option of flying through the gate; instead I killed all the returning fleets, finished raiding Kanta into certain-decivilize oblivion territory for having now crossed me three times over, then sauntered my way out of the system and back to the Galatia Academy via jump point to show off how little I cared about Kanta's wrath.

The campaign seems convinced I did so via gate, gave me the Janus device, I integrated it, and I still can't use any gates. I also can't scan any core gates despite there being no fleets near them. I guess I'll hunt down the coronal hypershunt that was mentioned that'll be gently caress knows where and see if whatever that involves will clear things up.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Flavahbeast posted:

Use phase cloak to move zig to the furthest Comm array and capture it, easily crushing any frigates or destroyers that approach before the capture -> send allied ships to capture the second comm array if there is one, use the extra 60 deployment points to get the rest of my combat ships in, then just smoke the most dangerous capital ships one at a time with the zig while the rest of my fleet cleans up. Between Hardened Subsystems and skills I can keep on the board for 16 minutes of combat

Its really a bit much for a single ship, the plot makes it seem like there should be some major downside for using it but there just isn't in the current version other than the long repair time between battles, it's a capital ship that can cover huge distances near instantly. You should be able to sacrifice it for an extra skill point or something

Is yours different from mine because mine is slow as poo poo, I know there's the skill that makes phase ships go faster but by default it's barely faster than a paragon.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

oh yeah, elite Phase Mastery is vital for it, it feels glacial without it. It still *feels* pretty slow even with phase mastery but it's moving at super speed relative to everything else

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
Trying to take out the Zigguraut was far easier on my hegemony game. Two onslaughts, 5 frigates and 5 cruisers did them in first try.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not sure if it is even faster without phase mastery because not using the cloak already more than doubles the base speed because of the 0 flux bonus.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The Military Base upgrade says its for projecting force between star systems. If my player faction is contained to a single system, do I really need one? Does it have other benefits? Just curious since it takes up an industry slot.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The Military Base upgrade says its for projecting force between star systems. If my player faction is contained to a single system, do I really need one? Does it have other benefits? Just curious since it takes up an industry slot.

I think that's just flavor text. The main benefit is that it produces marines, which can be used to raid (project force between star systems).

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Military bases also produce bigger fleets than the patrols. A high command plus one military base keeps you safe from most expeditions/raids.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

That kinda thing is in the base game. Sometimes bars will have someone that lets you buy from a selection or sometimes any of your own blueprints. The markup can vary quite a bit (lowest I’ve seen is 130% and the highest 300%).
I've had a contact offer me 100% before, but I've literally only seen it once and it was only up to 18k max (presumably because it was very early into the run and both my faction rep and contact rep were both very low).

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The size of patrols your planets send out is based on the planet population and the size of the military base on it. So yeah as others have said you want a couple bases in a system to protect it while you are away. IIRC a Patrol HQ only makes 2 light patrols no matter the colony size, for a size 6 planet the Military Base makes 3 Lights, 2 Medium, and 1 Heavy Patrol. A High Command adds 1 each to Medium and Heavy.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ok cool, good info, thanks.

It won't, however, send fleets to colonies in other systems, will it?

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Apr 7, 2021

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
I believe it's Nerelexin allows you to buy fleets to send off to do things. Mostly to merk pirate or pather bases

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Katsuma posted:

In my experience, the modifier itself stays no matter what your rep with pirates is, but the actual effect scales according to your rep, eventually producing 0 negative effects once you're friendly enough.

Good to know but I killed the station for a measly -3 rep and that instantly got rid of the modifier.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Are planets with no atmo immune to the pollution malus?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

why yes, your terms are favourable sir

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I ran into a bar where one NPC was selling drugs and the other NPC was buying the exact same amount. Easy money.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

talk to each other, guys :(

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Taerkar posted:

I ran into a bar where one NPC was selling drugs and the other NPC was buying the exact same amount. Easy money.

that's what i just posted except the same npc was both buying and selling

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Money laundering is real in Starsector.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Katsuma posted:

In my experience, the modifier itself stays no matter what your rep with pirates is, but the actual effect scales according to your rep, eventually producing 0 negative effects once you're friendly enough.

The modifier disappeared for me eventually, after getting positive rep with pirates. I don't know exactly how the two are related; I assumed it probably had the same 3-month lag as most modifiers.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Is it a bad idea to build up a second colony system far away from the first one you built?

Finally getting a hand on these remnant fleets.

Sandweed fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 7, 2021

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Sandweed posted:

Is it a bad idea to build up a second colony system far away from the first one you built?

The one issue with scattered colonies is that having lots of patrols spawning from multiple planets helps keep a system secure from raids and piracy and the like, and if you're still stuck with the default planet counts it's harder to do that and spread out at the same time.

However, with either the skill that lets you manage 6 colonies total (so you can have 3 per system) and/or alpha AI core governors to bypass the limit entirely, it becomes much more feasible.

It's also, like, not that big a deal to have colonies scattered all over the place as long as they're upgraded enough to defend themselves, it's just less convenient and there's the possibility of two of them getting targeted at the same time.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 7, 2021

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

the other thing is that i'm not sure exactly what controls expedition fleet size and where it caps out -- if they get huge but have a hard cap then it's possible that a big multi-colony system could be objectively and permanently more secure than scattered colonies.

but if they either scale up indefinitely, or if the hard cap is low enough that they can't beat a single planet with all the upgrades, then it doesn't really matter -- in the former case because there's nothing you can do at that point and clustered colonies just delay the inevitable, and in the latter case because either one will do the job

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Sandweed posted:

It mainly comes down to how much time you are willing to spend flying around. Traversing the map is a lot easier this patch with the changes to hyperspace clouds, but I still like to try to minimize time in transit. Personally I'd rather have a few pretty good colonies near each other than a few god-tier ones on opposite ends of the map.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Flavahbeast posted:

Yeah this absolutely shreds. Feels like a victory lap using it and I'm definitely afraid to do something stupid and lose it. Rest of my ships suck however.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
if you aren't ever going to destabilize, I'm never going to stop farming you for 100k/creds of fuel and supplies per assault

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Bold Robot posted:

It mainly comes down to how much time you are willing to spend flying around. Traversing the map is a lot easier this patch with the changes to hyperspace clouds, but I still like to try to minimize time in transit. Personally I'd rather have a few pretty good colonies near each other than a few god-tier ones on opposite ends of the map.

of course with respect to this issue

if you build your colonies in systems with gates, this becomes far less of a concern :v:

e: also speaking of the Ziggurat, is there any way for the player to get the blueprints for the "High Volition Attractor" hull mod? i assume this is what makes the NPC version of the ship extra spicy. i'm also curious about the Disintegrator weapon system but I'm guessing that drops from the Omega enemies.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 7, 2021

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014
Picked up a Paragon-class Battleship and this thing shreds. I can send it into domain defense units solo and sit back and drink a cup of coffee while it kills everything taking zero damage.

Also something I've noted is that raiding pirate bases in the core worlds is absurdly profitable and nearly risk-free. Whenever you're doing business there, if you have 100 marines or so just stop by what ever pirate stations are there and take their lunch money. I stole hundreds of recreational drugs from one pirate station, sold it on the black market for over $300k to another pirate station, and then robbed that station of about $50,000 worth of supplies I would have had to purchase from somewhere else.

If you have the cargo space you can even grab like metal and domestic goods, it's not worth much individually but one pip of your marines can take like $15000 worth of the stuff and it's usually unguarded. I lose like 2 marines, the rest of my marines get better, and I'm in the core worlds so there's always someplace for me to sell the stuff nearby.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Yeah, I call any pirate base I see now a "pit stop". Downside, they are perpetually raiding my colonies and it takes months of sitting in bars to figure out where they're coming from.

Is there a decent standalone mod manager for this game? I should probably install some.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I have come around completely to the "you should always make friends with pirates" position. In addition to the wonderful material benefits -- pirates don't raid you if they like you, they populate the entire sector with friendly ports to stop at, they make great trading partners, etc. -- core worlders are also more varied and interesting opponents.

e: This game I'm keeping a commission with the Persean League (for colony accessibility and raid prevention reasons, plus hey free income), and of course there's no point in antagonizing the Independents, but every other core faction hates me and I wouldn't have it any other way.

e2: my only complaint is that pirate "bounty" missions are harder to come by -- there's no underworld equivalent to the military contacts who only hand out bounties, and pirates don't spawn global bounties the way core worlders do. but lategame you make so much money that actually doing jobs is kind of irrelevant anyways and you can just pick fights for the hell of it / to grind story points, so oh well

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 7, 2021

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Sandweed posted:

Are planets with no atmo immune to the pollution malus?

Would this even come up? A planet needs to be habitable to get pollution from nanoforges, but I don't think there are planets that are both habitable and no atmosphere.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
You can build a colony on any lifeless hunk of rock you like. There’s no maximum hazard level, it just multiplies the cost of doing business/reduces pop growth.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Habitable in this context means the in-game tag "Habitable" that reduces hazard and has some other effects, not literally habitable as in "can you build a colony here."

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I think my favorite thing about the new patch is that the new colony items really mix up what counts as a "good" planet or system. Before there wasn't much reason to go for anything other than low-hazard habitable worlds, but now you can do interesting things with a much wider variety of planets.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.

Bold Robot posted:

I think my favorite thing about the new patch is that the new colony items really mix up what counts as a "good" planet or system. Before there wasn't much reason to go for anything other than low-hazard habitable worlds, but now you can do interesting things with a much wider variety of planets.

Yeah 100%, although it makes my mission of scouring the entire sector for the "Perfect" system that much harder. :(

My recent game I found a pretty great system of 1 Terran-Eccentirc, 1 Arid, and 1 extreme heat airless rock for refining/military which together had everything I needed except volatiles.

And it was only like 5 ly from the edge of the core worlds.

AtillatheBum fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 7, 2021

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

e: This game I'm keeping a commission with the Persean League (for colony accessibility and raid prevention reasons, plus hey free income), and of course there's no point in antagonizing the Independents, but every other core faction hates me and I wouldn't have it any other way.
How much does a commission pay out anyway? I've literally never bothered with getting commissioned ever but I'm considering trying to do a dedicated privateer run at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Insert name here posted:

How much does a commission pay out anyway? I've literally never bothered with getting commissioned ever but I'm considering trying to do a dedicated privateer run at some point.

starts at like 30k/month and can go up to 90k/month over time.