Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Delicious lifesign from Thule Legacy, probably my fav. dead faction mod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Wanna slam dunk some torps down the Bifrost's gullet

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

McGiggins posted:

So is your ship destruction during boarding based on hull, or is it armour/shields/complicated math of the 3?

Experimentally, i'm pretty sure that armor does have an effect. I got sick of losing my entire compliment of pricey marines every time ship go boom, so i started compartmentalizing them into 2-3 Hermes/Mercury/Tundra shuttles (with expanded crew compartments as my ambitions grew). I added Heavy Armor mods when i had the OP, and the dinky little assault shuttles started reliably surviving the self-destruct of frigates and light destroyers.

In other news, i reached the level 10 command skill that makes your ship look so good that your victims dare not blow themselves up (i mean, i appreciate the skill but it makes no drat sense) and it seems to apply to Templars in combat, maybe? I've certainly had a lot more luck than i expected preying on their depleted fleets, managed to grab a Martyr, two Jesuits, and a Crusader. Really wish i could get more Martyrs, those things with two Rhon lasers, advanced optics, and augmented engines are quite the little terrors.

Although, i did notice that when i blasted some Luddites in the Mayorate system while it was being Crusade-ed, my rep with the Templars increased due to 'participation in the holy crusade'. Is it actually possible to weasel your way into their good graces and just buy all their amazing poo poo, or will Antioch never let you dock, or never sell to you?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

You can dock once you get positive rep but Templar stuff is gratuitously expensive and stocks aren't great.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
Well, Alex is such a tease.

quote:

In other news, I’m in a bit of a rare situation where there’s actually a backlog of things to talk about. I’m rather excited about the next blog post (well, rather, the features it’ll talk about). I’ll give you two hints – it’s related the the infrastructure laid down during the mission work, and it’s not something I was planning to add in this release. Past that, my lips are sealed, so don’t even ask!

Anyway, missions in the next release of Starsector, more here.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois
Oh god, yes, missions. There's a point and purpose to life in the sector now. I wonder if they could make it where you could post your own bounties on stubborn AI fleets? Even being able to hire pirates/smugglers to destablise/distract major fleets while you sneak in elsewhere to do a thing would be awesome.

Also I got bored and tried a thing:

The best offense is copious amounts of :hellyeah::hf::black101:

Also I got a Tempest up to 392 speed with 2 nav buoys, I've only rarely seen 3 in battles so I'm guessing 407 is the max speed for them unless you mod your game?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Is there some way to find out the stats on drones?

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Huh.

Aside from the Sensor buoys, I thought that the other points only gave you command points.

I should start capturing them then I guess.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
Nav buoys are the only thing I focus on in battle. They're critical in helping me scoot around the map.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
So the Onslaught is really sick. I went into a battle with my 2 Nevermores and one 00-Nevermore, plus 3 decent destroyers. We did well against everything except the onslaught, which sucked up a truly ridiculous amount of punishment, and took out my 00 and one of the other Nevermores.

Also, I bought (but haven't flown yet) some big rear end BRDY capital that freezes time or something. No idea if it's any good.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
The Kurmaraja is somewhat fragile for a capital ship but it's got decent mobility and its active skill is excellent for shielding nearby ships from projectiles of all kinds. I like to run one as a standoff artillery platform with ferroguns, gale cannons, and Ballista LRM spam.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
The BRDY creator is here, I seem to recall. Can I please ask you, goon sir, to add a version number to your zip file? When updating things I go to check what version number I have, and have no idea.

VStraken
Oct 27, 2013

Backov posted:

The BRDY creator is here, I seem to recall. Can I please ask you, goon sir, to add a version number to your zip file? When updating things I go to check what version number I have, and have no idea.

Seconded, a minor (but helpful) thing. A while back I wondered why my install of BRDY was broken because Moria was missing, but it turned out I had mixed up files and installed the old version over itself

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

The Starsector launcher has always listed mod version number after the name. But sure, I could start doing that.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

The Starsector launcher has always listed mod version number after the name. But sure, I could start doing that.

Generally not in the launcher when I'm trying to determine if I need to download a new version of a mod because the version has incremented.

Now, Capital chat.

So, after a long drought of no one anywhere in my Nexerlin game selling any capitals, they all popped at once. I bought a Conquest first, the another one (the only other capital I found at the time.) Then an Onslaught, Victory and Karkinos. Even though I loved the Conquest before flying these other ships, I was embarrassed at how bad it actually was when it went up against the other 3.

Then I brought them back to my base and fitted them all as well as I could. The Onslaught took second place, easily beating the Karkinos, but the real winner is the Victory. What a ship. Those main guns are amazing too. Love that thing. Is that a Sindrian Diktat ship? Vanilla?

Haven't got to fly the Paragon yet. It's got a hell of a tank, but my Victory still eats them.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Backov posted:

Then I brought them back to my base and fitted them all as well as I could. The Onslaught took second place, easily beating the Karkinos, but the real winner is the Victory. What a ship. Those main guns are amazing too. Love that thing. Is that a Sindrian Diktat ship? Vanilla?

It's from SS+. The Diktat doesn't have any ships specific to it, they just use a lot of the same Core Epoch designs that many independents do.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Backov posted:

Generally not in the launcher when I'm trying to determine if I need to download a new version of a mod because the version has incremented.

I thought you were complaining about not knowing what version you were using. The brdy thread always has the version number in the thread title, as well as under the download button.

e: Also, I remembered why I don't rename my archives, it forces me to make a new mediafire entry every time instead of replacing and keeping the old URLs.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 28, 2015

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
I'm pretty much convinced that the Sunder is the best pound-for-pound ship I can fly. Autopulse Laser (Expanded Mags), 2x Phase Lance (or Scalaraon Blasters), Railguns in the small ballistic slots, and some kind of PD in the back, with whatever Missiles (I prefer salamanders on auto). High Energy Focus right as I get into range means that the alpha-strike potential is absurd. Most Destroyers (and even some Cruisers) go down immediately or are left reeling and EMP'd. SS+'s Sunder (U) is better yet but I have a few issues with SS+ and don't play it all the time. Unlike say, Enforcers, who have incredible firepower but no ability to sustain it, the Sunder can handle the weapon load it has.

I've currently got a fleet of a Nevermore, 2x Sunders, 2x Wolf's and a few freighters/fuel tankers and I'm cleaning up nicely. I only bring in the Nevermore against multiple Cruisers but I it's great when I can justify the supply cost to deploy it.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

I thought you were complaining about not knowing what version you were using. The brdy thread always has the version number in the thread title, as well as under the download button.

Yes, both of those things have the version number. What doesn't is the zip file, so I don't know which one I have. When I open up my starsector downloads directory, every single one of the files in it (except BRDY) has a version number, so I can quickly make sure that the files I've got are the most recent ones in the list (like in the Nexerlin or SS+ file lists.)

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Got an assassinate mission to kill a BRDY CEO, and did so, wrecking 2 Karkinos, 5 Desdinovas, 1 Nevermore and a handful of misc with a Vulture, 2 Hammerheads, 5 Enforcers and a Mining Blaster Sunder I flew myself. Only lost a Hammerhead which I got back after the battle anyway.

With all the destroyers and the cruisers tied up with those slippery goddamn Deses and bloody Nevermore, I soloed both Karkinos with just the Blaster Sunder. End result: Holy poo poo, I need more blaster Sunders.

Also, question on how the payout system works for assassinate/bounty missions. The CEO was the first Karkinos I killed, but I also captured that after the battle, and didn't get my bounty from the Hegemony. Is it because the target (Named Ship) still exists?

Also one more thing, greatly looking forward to using said Karkinos. I was only able to kill them because I high-energy blasted the engines and they then decided to jump, while being unable to turn. This leads me to believe that, as long as I don't go full retard (I will), I should be able to do some serious damage with it.

Edit: Annnnnd that save is now corrupted as well, despite doing all the things to avoid that. I should play something else for awhile, I guess.

McGiggins fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Mar 29, 2015

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

In ss+ I've seen a Sunder (u) for sale and it's stats seem identical to the original even though it looks like it's a high tech edition of the regular sunder. Is it a placeholder or has the stat page not been updated? It definitely looks nice though.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mindblast posted:

In ss+ I've seen a Sunder (u) for sale and it's stats seem identical to the original even though it looks like it's a high tech edition of the regular sunder. Is it a placeholder or has the stat page not been updated? It definitely looks nice though.

The small slots are energy instead of ballistic. That's the only difference.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

The Archon destroyer is amazing with a trio of phases lances on it. Add a tug and the extra burn level, and it can keep pace with most things on the map, too!

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

Which means that every weapon on it benefits from High Energy Focus. It's a small change but noticeable if you throw Antimatter Blasters on the two forward small slots. :getin: I also find that the Micro Argus PD is better than a Vulcan cannon for PD, which is what I want on the tail section of a Sunder.

I haven't tried the Mining Blaster Sunder yet...I'll give it a try soon.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Triple blaster Sunder is best Sunder.

High Energy Focus just makes the whole thing better than it already was.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

dis astranagant posted:

Oh wow I should have noticed that. :downs:

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Backov posted:

Yes, both of those things have the version number. What doesn't is the zip file, so I don't know which one I have. When I open up my starsector downloads directory, every single one of the files in it (except BRDY) has a version number, so I can quickly make sure that the files I've got are the most recent ones in the list (like in the Nexerlin or SS+ file lists.)

Yeah, that's kinda silly. I'll do it starting with the next version.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah, that's kinda silly. I'll do it starting with the next version.

Cool!

Hey, are the Rook and Castle things that humans can buy? I've seen them both in enemy fleets, but I've never seen either for sale. There's something in their description about how they help large fleets logistically. What is it that they do?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Backov posted:

Cool!

Hey, are the Rook and Castle things that humans can buy? I've seen them both in enemy fleets, but I've never seen either for sale. There's something in their description about how they help large fleets logistically. What is it that they do?

You mean the SS+ additions? With the supply buffers? Essentially I think they cause CR loss in the fleet to affect them instead of the ship that actually lost the CR, so they take the CR damage instead.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Rooks are really useful if you're going for frigate spam, as they can keep a decent fleet in action for a surprisingly long campaign.

When you can fill a pair of super-freighters with of loot from a handful of fights within 2 mins of each other and still have 100% CR frig fleet, you know there's something good going on with the Rook.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

McGiggins posted:

Rooks are really useful if you're going for frigate spam, as they can keep a decent fleet in action for a surprisingly long campaign.

When you can fill a pair of super-freighters with of loot from a handful of fights within 2 mins of each other and still have 100% CR frig fleet, you know there's something good going on with the Rook.

Sounds good - the problem is I've never seen one (or a Castle) for sale! :)

Also - super freighters with a frigate fleet? So you've got a frigate fleet with 4-5 burn? Eww.

Backov fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 31, 2015

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Backov posted:

Sounds good - the problem is I've never seen one (or a Castle) for sale! :)

Also - super freighters with a frigate fleet? So you've got a frigate fleet with 4-5 burn? Eww.

I feel like Rooks and superfreighters would be so much better if we could manage multiple fleets so we can use them like a mobile supply base, is such a feature planned?

NightfallGemini
Dec 26, 2006
Do Rooks and the like have to be deployed in order to take the CR hit for the fleet?

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Backov posted:

Fat Fleet Hate

I find my Rooks/Castles at Jangala 100% of the time, because I am terrible at this game and refuse to shack up with a new man.

With regards to the supers, I captured them as part of my frigate wrecking fleet in Eos. It's amazing what you can actually accomplish with a high skill fleet backed by a single destroyer. This was a few weeks ago though, no such luck since.

OctaMurk posted:

Cool Idea

That would be awesome, but your support fleet would get absolutely ruined by pirate/hostile fleets, unless you leave a huge support fleet with your support fleet.

Also, the logistics of many thousands of crew and all the supplies they'd use/their ships would use would drive you insane.

Nope, that's why they're amazing.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Hey y'all, a major rework to the Omnifactory just dropped: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=5199.msg158142#msg158142

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=4018.msg158177#msg158177

New brdy is up, wont be compatible with ss+ and nexerelin until they update naturally

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Apr 2, 2015

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
This game is so good already, I wonder what the next versions are going to introduce. Orbital defense? Planetary bombardment? Taking over systems?

I also kind of wish Pirates were actually competitive in the end game.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SquadronROE posted:

This game is so good already, I wonder what the next versions are going to introduce. Orbital defense? Planetary bombardment? Taking over systems?

I also kind of wish Pirates were actually competitive in the end game.

Massive stations and debris fields so I can play R-TypeSector.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Massive stations and debris fields so I can play R-TypeSector.

I tested it once (a while back, though) and I was able to make a battle map with 10k asteroids with a reasonable framerate.

Ships would hit so much poo poo burning into battle from deployment that they'd explode before you gained control :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois
-snip-

Minarchist fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 2, 2015