Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
"The maneuver produced an oblique impact angle, dissipating the shell's momentum entirely into the ferrofoam applique. It was the unfortunate timing of the resulting shock which brought about Spacer York's tragic end during an otherwise routine heavy equipment transfer."

Edit: In order to add context to the snipe, we are talking about butts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cascade Failure
Jan 8, 2010
Ok just one more, even though it's a bit of a stretch.

"The eye of an angel was found in the small places, hidden there by merciful God in the first moments of creation. Thus its secrets were laid bare for the ignorant and cruel to loose terrible, fiery wrath. We lament."

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

If you really wanna hears ludds wisdom, get it from the source itself: https://youtu.be/3P3Fz8Y7lHs?si=wNTEetYTRBCbvGso

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
So the afflictor is another one of those gold standard vanilla ships that most mods don't match up to right?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Not really, though the afflictor/harbinger/doom line are all very useful ships for specific purposes and largely defined by their systems. The doom is a top tier ship because its system is obscenely deadly and universally effective. The harbinger is an OK phase ship but its system will create a very small opening in literally any craft, very infrequently, so it has use against things that rely on slow heavy shields like boss ships and high end remnant or paragons. The afflictor is the weakest of the three and its system greatly increases damage taken by the ship it's used on, combine this with the strike loadout it favours and you get a very good punch in ideal situations but outside of that it's just a frigate.

They (doom aside) are less gold standard ships and more just ships with highly unique, situationally powerful systems that you can't get anywhere else. Otherwise they're just normal phase ships, heavy forward firepower, based around doing maximum damage in a short window. They work very well if they can get into position to do that, otherwise they're fragile and limited in effectiveness.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I'd like to leave this as a counter argument.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P3Fz8Y7lHs

I can't get the stupid video to embed but its worth a click.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

Not really, though the afflictor/harbinger/doom line are all very useful ships for specific purposes and largely defined by their systems. The doom is a top tier ship because its system is obscenely deadly and universally effective. The harbinger is an OK phase ship but its system will create a very small opening in literally any craft, very infrequently, so it has use against things that rely on slow heavy shields like boss ships and high end remnant or paragons. The afflictor is the weakest of the three and its system greatly increases damage taken by the ship it's used on, combine this with the strike loadout it favours and you get a very good punch in ideal situations but outside of that it's just a frigate.

They (doom aside) are less gold standard ships and more just ships with highly unique, situationally powerful systems that you can't get anywhere else. Otherwise they're just normal phase ships, heavy forward firepower, based around doing maximum damage in a short window. They work very well if they can get into position to do that, otherwise they're fragile and limited in effectiveness.

The afflictor scales much better than the other two with the phase skills and if you have those, a phase anchor and antimatter blasters you are a tiny vicious god that only ever dies because you misjudged the proximity to your +cruiser sized exploding victim. It's way more fun and rewarding to play than the other two phase ships and the speed and agility lets you dodge enemy shields and take out any sub capital that strays from the flock or tries to hide in the back lines.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Carcer posted:

I'd like to leave this as a counter argument.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P3Fz8Y7lHs

I can't get the stupid video to embed but its worth a click.

Also,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUgRWNtO-CA

The afflictor he pilots is very mean.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Harbinger is sick with 3x phase lances, phase anchor, and advanced optics. Most targets will melt without ever needing to use the system ability.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
I like the harbinger though I confess I don't use the phase ships that often when I should. I'll have to give the afflictor another go it seems.
I try to run it with 3x Ion Pulsers. It probably limits its dps compared to the phase lances which are excellent as well but I like that it can do nice burst damage and also bring engines and guns offline.

Means I can use its special to interrupt a capital ship and help cripple it for my fleet to strike safely.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Does anyone know of any destroyer that can mount a large missile and has no integrated drone?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Crimson Harvest posted:

Does anyone know of any destroyer that can mount a large missile and has no integrated drone?

Manticore (LP)

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I see, that's kind of challenging then for what I want to use it for but I think hilarious numbers will win despite the low CR uptime. A little self resupplying swarm of heavy long range i hope.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Crimson Harvest posted:

With the Manticore (LP) already mentioned, I went through my years of accumulated mods and found the Hermitaur in Nes' Ship Pack and the Aristaeus in Coherent Watermelon Ship pack (a ship pack that stopped being developed a bunch of versions ago but no Java means nothing to update anyways)

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Make the Mudskipper Mk5. Be the change you want to see.

One large missile slot, no shield, barely any engine.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Atopian posted:

Make the Mudskipper Mk5. Be the change you want to see.

One large missile slot, no shield, barely any engine.

I fought a mod bounty that had a large number of mudskippers that mounted gauss cannons. I think they were s-modded to allow them to fire one shot without overloading. It was very funny to see the flux bars go from 0 to near max each shot followed by an immediate vent.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Molybdenum posted:

I fought a mod bounty that had a large number of mudskippers that mounted gauss cannons. I think they were s-modded to allow them to fire one shot without overloading. It was very funny to see the flux bars go from 0 to near max each shot followed by an immediate vent.

The Urbanmech R60L exists in the starsector universe too! :allears:

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Zudgemud posted:

The afflictor scales much better than the other two with the phase skills and if you have those, a phase anchor and antimatter blasters you are a tiny vicious god that only ever dies because you misjudged the proximity to your +cruiser sized exploding victim. It's way more fun and rewarding to play than the other two phase ships and the speed and agility lets you dodge enemy shields and take out any sub capital that strays from the flock or tries to hide in the back lines.

This all makes it a pretty nice frigate, not broken on the same order as the cruiser that lets you freely decide which way you'd like the enemy's shields to be facing and where you want their ships to be every second you're engaged. That the Doom even has gun mounts is an unnecessary extravagance, you can just stay in phase the whole time you're within firing range of any enemy and still be the nastiest thing on the battlefield. Less rewarding I'll grant, it's often more fun to do crazy maneuvers with real risk than basically be a cat toying with a mouse

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Mar 23, 2024

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Maximum Mod Run trip report:

After an early game of being bullied by explorarium drones and remnants, I graduated to a midgame of being bullied by Legio daemons.

However, after a lot (a lot lot) of murder and fire and blood, The Infernal Machine is now... terrifying.
A big red brick of fury and vengeance, it burns across the battlefield spewing shells and ice and strange wavering energy beams, effortlessly holding up three separate lines of the enemy fleet.

The only things that gives it pause are a Paragon or more than one Radiant. All else is just a speedbump on the way to glory.
Bizarre bullshit phase fleets? Enhanced remnants? Abyssal horrors? Piratical AI daemon-ships? Nothing but brief targets.

Even some sort of corrupted nanotech space god fell before its might, although it must be said, not quietly, and not without significant distraction from a Paragon.

Seven S-mods. Omega-equivalent weapons. 120% timeflow. Heavy mod play is bizarre.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
So in the one hand, I feel like the Knights of Ludd mod is overbuilt. Just adds tons and tons of new ships, variants of vanilla ships with green junk stapled to them, tons of weapons are are slight tweaks on existing ones. I think I made that sound good actually, but it's all diluting the market pool, and making a luddic super frigate gets a raised eyebrow from me. Also adds Yet Another Super Remnant faction in "dark pulsar" stars, which, sure whatever. Another thing to spawn instead of normal salvage.

But.

Last night I tried to use a gate to scoot around the core worlds, as you do, and I did not come out the other end at my destination. Instead it sent me somewhere else. And credit where due, that event was cool as hell.

Althalin
Nov 19, 2019

Putting the ham in Chamon
Pork Pro
I don't know why it didn't occur to me that other fleets could be affected by slipsurges, but I do know that in the future I'll be attempting to replicate the "yeet them away" defense.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Great little change here.

https://twitter.com/amosolov/status/1776669580716278270

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
Volcanic orbiting Terran eccentric :prepop:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Playing EV Nova again has reminded me of why I never actually bothered to finish it as a kid. And that Starsector really is everything I actually want out of that kind of game, though it could still use more quest strings.

E: I got stuck on the Polaris questline, which from what I understand is the most tedious. Still love the look of the game tho.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Back on my Starsector bullshit this past week since I hadn't played with 0.97a yet. Goddamn I love this game. I miss the Blackrock mod though!

Basically in endgame at this point, playing fully vanilla, just founded my 5th colony and I've got a gate built nearby my colony and a wormhole between colony systems. I'm intrigued by the abyssal hyperspace stuff and hope Alex fleshes it out further (including fixing things like being able to mark coordinates on the map of gravity wells and maybe adding ship mods or a fleet mod to speed up navigation a bit)

This sector generation was rough though, not many great systems to found colonies in and

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Kenshin posted:

I miss the Blackrock mod though!

Last page of the BRDY thread has you covered.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah, I was gonna say, a lot of those abandoned faction mods have people updating them for the newest versions.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Tanith posted:

Last page of the BRDY thread has you covered.

I love you

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Atopian posted:

Maximum Mod Run trip report:

After an early game of being bullied by explorarium drones and remnants, I graduated to a midgame of being bullied by Legio daemons.

However, after a lot (a lot lot) of murder and fire and blood, The Infernal Machine is now... terrifying.
A big red brick of fury and vengeance, it burns across the battlefield spewing shells and ice and strange wavering energy beams, effortlessly holding up three separate lines of the enemy fleet.

The only things that gives it pause are a Paragon or more than one Radiant. All else is just a speedbump on the way to glory.
Bizarre bullshit phase fleets? Enhanced remnants? Abyssal horrors? Piratical AI daemon-ships? Nothing but brief targets.

Even some sort of corrupted nanotech space god fell before its might, although it must be said, not quietly, and not without significant distraction from a Paragon.

Seven S-mods. Omega-equivalent weapons. 120% timeflow. Heavy mod play is bizarre.

I'm actually considering a TIM start here in a bit, got a good mod list for turning it into a truly stupid supership? I'm kinda feeling an OP run this time.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Is symbiotic void creatures worth the absurd ~700mb vram cost?

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Psycho Landlord posted:

I'm actually considering a TIM start here in a bit, got a good mod list for turning it into a truly stupid supership? I'm kinda feeling an OP run this time.

Three key mods for a ridiculous ship run are Exotica technologies, Industrial Evolution, and RAT. Emergent Threats brings a little extra.

Honestly Exotica seems a bit strong overall though, even for a crazy run. Especially once you have decent money.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Psycho Landlord posted:

When you look for long range kinetic weapons to take advantage of the advanced targeting core I have not found anything better than the vanilla gauss cannon.

Flux cost to fire is high, slow to recharge and sluggish turn rate but the shield pressure it exerts over such a massive range is unmatched, late in the battle when armor is stripped and ships are fluxed out you can and will reach across the entire battlefield to delete a ship on low health with just the gauss cannon.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012

Carcer posted:

reach across the entire battlefield to delete a ship on low health with just the gauss cannon.
I've been tipping my toes into mod factions in my current run, and one of them is VIC.

They have a line of ballistics called Ladlow Accelerators that I just love, they are basically gauss cannons but with massive frag dmg. But they only deal soft flux dmg to balance them. Somewhat.

You don't really notice that when 2 large ones can delete most low tech frigs in an instant, since they have enough dmg to punch through their shield and armor. Offhand I think the large ones are something like 3k frag a pop.

Then there is the VIC arty capital that has an in-built XL one that deals 10k, anything smaller than a cruiser can just :fuckoff:.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Zernach posted:

I've been tipping my toes into mod factions in my current run, and one of them is VIC.

They have a line of ballistics called Ladlow Accelerators that I just love, they are basically gauss cannons but with massive frag dmg. But they only deal soft flux dmg to balance them. Somewhat.

You don't really notice that when 2 large ones can delete most low tech frigs in an instant, since they have enough dmg to punch through their shield and armor. Offhand I think the large ones are something like 3k frag a pop.

Then there is the VIC arty capital that has an in-built XL one that deals 10k, anything smaller than a cruiser can just :fuckoff:.

Is that the capital where you can change the integrated XL weapon on the loadout screen? They're all rad but my favorite is the huge missile, because you can see the system 3d printing a new missile while the cooldown happens. :pcgaming:

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Entire faction has a kickass look, and catboys.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Also Astarat is delightfully unhinged but I'm bias because we're on the same shitpost wavelength. VIC is so fuckin' good.

I'm not sure if the secret super freighter is still in or not but its very funny to me in that way that running with a bunch of mod fleets can provide. When everyone's running a super fighter you gotta stand out you know?

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Who's ready for Auto saves and built in Captains log?

https://fractalsoftworks.com/2024/04/10/save-load-ui-autosave-intel-map-markers-and-more/

I'm very excited for this.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Thyrork posted:

Also Astarat is delightfully unhinged but I'm bias because we're on the same shitpost wavelength. VIC is so fuckin' good.

I'm not sure if the secret super freighter is still in or not but its very funny to me in that way that running with a bunch of mod fleets can provide. When everyone's running a super fighter you gotta stand out you know?

Wait does VIC have a superfreighter secret and if so deets, I've never seen it and that's the sort of dumb poo poo I love.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Kitfox88 posted:

Wait does VIC have a superfreighter secret and if so deets, I've never seen it and that's the sort of dumb poo poo I love.

It's a buffalo with with a VIC skin, only one exists in game and you can't get the BP or buy it, it's docked in a station in a secret system south east of VIC systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Kris xK posted:

Who's ready for Auto saves and built in Captains log?

https://fractalsoftworks.com/2024/04/10/save-load-ui-autosave-intel-map-markers-and-more/

I'm very excited for this.

This game just keeps getting better, I'm almost scared for 1.0.