Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

If you are missing hullmods raid black holes/neutron stars for research stations. They will drop a hullmod you don't have every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Mayasura navy has a ship that is just a railgun with a engine attached.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

The Caragdor from Vanidad is also cool.

Not updated for the new patch though.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

The quality of officers also helps. Low level officers does not help as much as high level ones.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Antigravitas posted:

The pacing of the game with exploration and leveling on one side, and colonies on the other, is severely out of whack.

Colonies grow slowly and with the end of the stipend there's pressure to get a recurring revenue stream on the player. By that point the player has probably found a few planets that would be worthwhile to settle. The game is practically yelling at the player to find a nice habitable world and plop down a colony + agriculture.

If they actually settle at that point, however, they get absolutely curbstomped by hyper-aggressive fleets within a few cycles. They would have to wait until they have a well-established fleet, have leveled a bunch, explored half the sector, and amassed a bunch of money and reputation. Then they could settle and hope to defend their colonies, but by that point they don't need anything colonies provide.

The two parts of the game could complement, but right now they actively work against each other. It's weird.

Alex really wants to emphasise the fact that the reason the sector is so poo poo is that the big factions are terrible and makes life difficult for everyone that's not them.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

SHISHKABOB posted:

Does anybody have any good let's play series for this game? I like this game a lot but it's hard to get back into and I always feel like I have no idea what I'm doing when I fit ships. Watching some person play for a while usually gives me some inspiration.

The game is very modular and in a sense very forgiving and lets you work around your fuckups. Just try poo poo out, test ships in the sim and you will figure this out.

Always max vents, always put missiles in the missiles slot.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

New hotfix is out.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Talk to the main planet administrator to hand the planet over to another faction. You can even use this to resurect dead factions.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

yes it's that way in case you have a full cargo hold.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

I really like it's sound.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Someone made a JRE23 fix and posted it on the discord.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

To this day there are no AI phase ships in vanilla.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

George Sex - REAL posted:

Generally speaking, caps are going to give you more use, even for shield tanking, over hardened shields. I know it's built-in, so there's not quite the same trade-off, but food for thought

EDIT: Looking more closely, this is just generally kind of a weird build.

When I see this my first thought is "just because a slot is there you don't have to fill it."

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Just try stuff out but just having a dram and a few cargo ships can let you do dropof and scaning missions pretty reliably. If you pick up a ship you can't really field yet just drop it off in the abandoned terraformer on corvus.

Survey missions can be pretty expensive early on so check the supply and crew required before accepting.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Just don't use nazi and rape mods and you are fine.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Unless you use mods that Nia decides are unbalanced and then secretly nerfs them of course.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

I put malicious code in this post.

code:
malicious code

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Varya and Drgn put crash code that crashed the game if you had the nazi mod alongside their mod.

Nia put in code that nerfed other mods against Legio their special endgame boss faction.

The blade breaker stuff was just regular mod drama iirc.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

The pimply asscheek of the starsector fandom on 4chan ect have been real mad about the crashcode that crashes your game if you use the nazi mod for a long while. This just gives them an opportunity to vilify someone they hate.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Omens can also work, but I prefer scarabs because they can get around quick can kill most other frigs and are only 8 DP.

Low tech doesn't really have a frig for it but a bunch of centurions will probably work.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Drone_Fragger posted:

Its not, you would brick a save running TNP or any fork of it because the code involved simply looks for tags on NPCs when you capture them. It doesn't specifically look for mod ID or any kind of name matching. You could literally fork TNP to fix the bugs mattdamon never fixed and it would atill brick your save game.

And again, regardless of your personal opinion on if mods with content X or Y should be allowed, taking the position that its actually fine for modders to intentionally and maliciously brick save games or make the game otherwise unplayable is an incredibly stupid position to take as it will result in alex either having to allow only "verified" mods to run, or disable modding entirely as he will not be willing to deal with the potentially legal fallout of petty modders deciding to include malware in mods. Both of which would kill the modding scene dead.

His original mod was out of date, removed from the forums and hadn't been updated for like 2 mainline versions.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Because you have to find ITU and big ships are bad without any range extenders.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Unless you are constantly fighting besides your faction fleets it won't really matter.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Entire faction has a kickass look, and catboys.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Kitfox88 posted:

Wait does VIC have a superfreighter secret and if so deets, I've never seen it and that's the sort of dumb poo poo I love.

It's a buffalo with with a VIC skin, only one exists in game and you can't get the BP or buy it, it's docked in a station in a secret system south east of VIC systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

toasterwarrior posted:

There's straight up a goon in that game's thread who's all huffing and puffing about how bad the Valheim team are at dev because updates don't come faster and they can tell because they're a professional developer and :jerkbag:

Fortnite with their infinite money have broken people brains. Nobody else is able to keep that up for long.