Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Gobblecoque posted:

I haven't played it, but based on what SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND has said in the past they're not really meant to be balanced but to be something for the player to challenge themselves against.

Pretty much. Fight against them, don't play them. Valkyries or whatever they're called fall into the same category. Challenge mode!

I remember one mod had some ancient artifact ships that were half the screen and just guns hull and armour. Were super fun to fight against because they were a sort of boss fight. The other faction in it were akin to zerg - tons of unshielded ships covered in biomass with suicide bombers and the like. Both required someone specialized loadouts on your ships to deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Gobblecoque posted:

If you dig the slow heavily defensive Monitor then you might like the Brawler. It's basically a frigate with destroyer-level power supply and armor. Put a High Velocity Driver and a Heavy Mauler on it and destroy everything.

As long as you can fit +Mobility and Resistant Flux Conduits into it too. As awesome as the ship is, it gets completely wrecked by anything that can get behind it. And Salamander's put it into a useless tailspin pretty quick too.

But besides that, they make really good support ships, and they really punish the enemies for leaving them alone.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

The HMG is just bizarre all around. It has PD AI even though it can barely even stop head-on LRM fire.

And it costs so much OP with crap range.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Fewd posted:

In my experience it's enough if you pick one big enemy on top of pirates. I'm favoring pissing off Sindrian Diktat myself. They spawn boatloads of fleets, including large detachments so you won't get bored even with a capital ship under you. Also, SD spawns "Lion's Guard" fleets that offer you some easy Tempests for capturing.

Even snagged a Hyperion from a Lion's Guard fleet, but I sold it since even though Hyperions have the ridicilously overpowered teleport, it costs 40% CR per deployment. That didn't fit into my constant fighting. I wouldn't mind seeing the CR per deployment reduced to something more manageable like 20%ish and adding a 50% flux cost to that idiotic teleport.

Don't forget that undefended cargo fleets will dock at their allies stations! Meaning that free money is often just floating there, undefended. And other factions don't care if you beat up their allies - they only care about killing their enemies or their own fleets.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Arrath posted:

However you might get dinged for causing a trade disruption by poaching the orbiting fleets and then selling the loot for mad bank.

And them make it right back for trading with said planet!

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

It'll be nice when the memory, the 64bit and the borderless fullscreen edits become part of the launcher. Instead of needing to edit the drat files for them.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Tiger Shark posted:

Whoa, you can get borderless fullscreen? Please explain how.

Starsector -> starsector-core -> data -> config

Should be a file called, "Settings".

Open it, and near the top will be some settings for the display.

Change it from
"colorblindMode":false,
"undecoratedWindow":false,
#"resolutionOverride":"1024x768",
#"forceAspectRatio":"1.3333",
#"windowLocationX":0,
#"windowLocationY":0,

to

"colorblindMode":false,
"undecoratedWindow":true,
#"resolutionOverride":"1024x768",
#"forceAspectRatio":"1.3333",
"windowLocationX":0,
"windowLocationY":0,

You change undecorated window to "true" and remove the #'s in front of the two windowlocations. When you launch the game, make sure you uncheck "Fullscreen" so it works properly.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

DatonKallandor posted:

Also let's not pretend the shield-less ships were ever really viable. They were a bad gimmick at the best of times.

Buffalos, yes. But Hounds are really, really useful. I keep 3-4 of them for chasing down defeated fleets. The range on a Mauler is enough that they can harass most retreating ships safely, and they're so cheap to deploy and maintain that you don't even notice having them in the fleet. As well, they can chase down defeated fighters.

Plus, how often do the defeated fleets really try to put up a fight?

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Unshielded ships are poo poo in a vacuum, deceptively powerful if you are forced to make the most use of them somehow. Properly kitted Hounds have always been powerful. The Cerberus and Buffalo II less so, but with the missile buff, the Buffalo II actually has a mean weapons package.

Its like... I dunno. A Voltorb in pokemon. Why on earth would you want Self Destruct on one of your own, but dear lord it sucks when you go up against it.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Anticheese posted:

I'll definitely have to mod that functionality into some variety of medium-sized SRM launcher. There's a niche there for something reasonably swift but with less than a thousand units of total range. The Annihilator pods are kinda poo poo, and I've only seen them be useful against the asses of fixed-shield larger ships that have already had their armour stripped away.

Something a bit closer to Battletech/MechWarrior SRMs (small numbers, short distance, unguided, little bit of spread but quick to fire and packs a decent punch) would be worthwhile, unless I'm dumb and completely missed something like that.

The MRMs are definitely in a sweet spot as it stands.

E: Okay, I guess the Annihilators are basically this? But they're kinda poo poo and slow.

E2: Harpoon MRM pods are horrifying.

Annihilators, when you get to the Medium slot ones (with Expanded Missile Racks) are about 50/50 Offense/Defense. They choke up the space between you and the target with missiles that 1) Overload PD, 2) Block incoming shots from the target, and 3) Hit really hard if they they have to drop their shields.

If you go with the missile skill, they are really effective. And terrifying.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

So, I'm trying to play as a Pirate since SS+ has lots of new Pirate ships! Annnnnd its impossible. I can't trade to any pirate stations without pissing off everyone within 100 miles, since there are no factions that are "neutral" to Pirates. That and no pirate bounties or, well, really any sort of way to get rep with them at all.

So I guess I'll go back to playing standard factions. Its just frustrating, since so many of the starting character choices are Pirate based.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

The only way to play as a pirate is to turn your coat once you already have a fleet set up. Generally the best way to play "lawless" is to be a smuggler and opportunist, keeping pirate rep high enough to trade with them for added profit, and waging war on one of the bigger factions/doing assassination bounties

Yeah. I was thinking of that, but it still is so much... more painful than just allying with a big faction and snapping at one or two others. Just doesn't really feel... viable yet?

E: I mean, if I could pay to smuggle goods onto the black markets of hostile stations or planets, that'd solve a lot of my issues right there.

Brainbread fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 23, 2015

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Mercrom posted:

Starsector+ removes navigation and instead spreads out burn bonuses to other skills, which means it requires a massive amount of points to get. It also nerfs augmented engines. The fact that some of the modded star systems are gigantic doesn't help.

And yeah, the Oddysey is ridiculously overpowered. It's the best combat ship in the game by far, and it's a carrier. The Onslaught is too vulnerable in long fights and the Paragon is like a big useless rock that wastes resources. Starsector+ gives the Paragon high maintenance too which is just baffling.

Tugs are pretty much your friend. Just bring one for your dumb capital ship and enjoy your crazy... 5 speed!

But yeah. Onslaught and Paragon are just huge sinks that don't provide anything *really* more than the Odyssey. You get huge guts but you don't really have anything to use them against? Like, a Paragon can destroy a fleet on its own but there isn't really a reason to need that kind of firepower, outside of maybe fighting Templars.

And Odyssey is really pretty and has a flight deck.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Arrath posted:

I may be kinda weird in that I usually don't pilot ships bigger than destroyers. Unless its a Nevermore.

Nah. Thats fairly common. You can't really do too much other than drift into combat as a Capital, but destroyers can still flank/get objectives and do strategy things. They're also faster, so you get into combat more quickly.

Unless you've got an Odyssey then they are you not piloting it?

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

SquadronROE posted:

HMG Enforcer is dumber than a box of stupid rocks. Too close range and it doesn't do enough damage to armor.

Its uh... Fleet Point Defense!

You just need all the missiles to be shot at it.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

On Afflictor talk.

As opposed to "going in for the kill" by attempting to overload the target by firing both at once, I prefer to just stick on their rear end and shoot one at a time. Shoot one, phase, wait for it to almost come off cooldown and then shoot the other.

If both of your AMB's are on cooldown, the enemy will drop their shields and vent (if you miss with one, they'll do this a lot) - by leaving one up at a time, you can get them fairly close to flux cap and then overload them "safely". Though you could just weave a Sabot in there for the same job.

On a different note, I've been loving the hell out of the Shadowyard's home system. I... uhh. Destabilized the system by pumping Melancholia full of drugs on the black market, which has pushed the other two main Shadowyard planets into constant Trade Disrupted states.

The one that produces tons of Rare Metal and Metal has them for tiny prices, and it always has insane prices on Fuel and Volatiles. The other planet needs Rare Metal and Metal, and has super cheap supplies/volatiles.

This is too the tune of 300 / 30 to buy the metals (in stacks of 600 for the Rare Metals) and selling for 1100 / 290 or so. Then I just buy up cheap Fuel and Volatiles and fly back and repeat. The amount of XP you get off selling 500k of goods in a single run is ridiculous.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

MShadowy posted:

2012 fo' lyfe!

What did them Yardies ever do to you?! :argh:

Regardless, that seems a bit too broken. Blast, looks like I might need to do more balancing on the Anar system. ... well, was considering throwing in some Pirates again anyway (largely because of ludicrous but unobtainable bounties) so may as well see if I can't get figure out the economy better.

Well, the Independent Planet has such a low population I accidently lost rep by selling 100 Food - turns out they only needed 20 when there was a shortage, so I got hit with an Independent Rep loss due to a Food Glut. And then they were buying drugs for 1100 a piece (which sells on the further planet/station for ~350) so I just started smuggling that as a "gently caress you I was trying to help" and now the whole system went to poo poo and I made bank and its perfect.

My suggestions would be too reduce the value of Rare Metals/Metals/Volatiles/Organics/Fuel during disruptions by a bit, since the other planet always can produce whats needed - so you don't need to do any out-of-system trading to get the good prices. The next would be to up the population on Melancholia or something, just so they get more than 20 Food unit Shortages since its painfully easy to accidently glut and make them hate you.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Mister Bates posted:

The Independents are assholes, I saved one of their planets from a food shortage with a big cargo hold full of food I 'liberated' from the Sindrian Diktat and they had an investigation in which they concluded that I caused the food shortage in the first place. I hadn't even been in that system, assholes! :arghfist:

I also keep being found guilty in smuggling investigations on Independent planets I've never so much as touched the black market on. gently caress Independents.

Killing a relief fleet in orbit to sell the food, or vastly overselling food compared to the need can get you investigated.

I think you got your hand caught in the cookie jar there =P

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Today I learned how I got hit with Smuggling penalties. I... loaded a Variant and it bought the weapons from the Black Market.

(Also, Shaolin - I get frustrated with buying weapons from Blackrock Planets since, to me, the Blackrock menu colours look pretty drat close to the Black Market colours, and I've accidently bought Black Market stuff since i didn't notice a difference a few times)

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

One of the truly oldschool factions next to iFed, Antediluvians and Junk Pirates etc.

Not gonna lie, there's quite a bit of work ahead of you if you want to meet the current standard of implementation and content. It's worth it, though.

SS+ is the compilation mod of choice right now, Uomoz is working on other projects.

I was updating Lotus to actually have mods, burn speed between systems and fixed prices/fighter stuff. But I don't know anything about coding so making them as part of SS+ is impossible for me.

So please someone add Lotus to SS+ =P

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Dante80 posted:

Hm..I may give this a run in the weekend and look at what may be needed..although from looking most of the mods in the first page..I..er..don't see the reason really. My ships are garbage compared to most, glad to see the game and the community moving onwards.

Also, thanks Brainbread for working on this (referring to the 2.1 update) <3

Well, Pirates need some friends and a friendly pirate faction would be a nice addition (since being a pirate is kinda impossible in the current stage). Secondly, I just really enjoyed the playstyle of the faction. They're like a low-tech version of Blackrock with more emphasis on speed over health or survivability, and they have fantastic fighters (which is something I don't see very often with other factions).

They're a better equipped pirate faction and we definitely need better pirate factions!

(Yes, I do really like them)

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Alex quit his job a few years ago to work on SS full-time, he's making a decent amount off of selling the game, but probably not enough to cover all his expenses.

I hope finances work out for him. Its a big and ambitious project thats turning out gorgeously. I hope it releases it as Greenlight if money problems happen. It'd probably sell crazy well at $20 even.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Shaolin: Can I request something? Can you bug the creator of SS+ to include a starting option with Brdy? I find that I spend the first few hours of any Brdy run just... farming rep so I can buy my first ship (pirate spawns in Gneiss are often very very low). It'd be nice if there was a starting option to be with them.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

New Blog Post on... Sensors!

The idea is that your equipment can only identify fleets composition/faction when they're close enough. How easily you can detect/be detected depends on the size of your fleet and its composition, with certain ships being easier or harder to spot (like Phase Frigates). The idea being that you can no longer have 100% knowledge of where everyone else is and what they're doing all the time.

At long range its just "fleet thats big/small". At close its all the details we normally get.

The second item is the "Transponder". This is a device that is either on or off. When its off, you're detected as normal with the above stuff. If its on, you double your being-detected-range and give full information to everyone exactly whats going on in your fleet. He refers to turning it off as " like driving at night with your headlights off, or, perhaps more aptly, driving without a license plate". So most legitimate fleets/factions will have theirs on. Pirates, Bounty Hunters or Smugglers/Traders might turn it off to avoid detection, and to avoid getting noticed as a money pinata.

The last part of the post is how this is gonna gently caress up encounters without a major change. Since you'd no longer be able to see where everything always is, finding little fish to eat could be very difficult. He's going to address that by making AI fleets move more predictably on the Overmap. Traders already stick to their routes, but Pirates and Patrols will concentrate on spending their time near things that are worth it - trade routes and planets they're protecting. Less of having to fly out to the boondocks to find someone to shoot.

He's also hoping that the AI change + sensors means that you'll spend more time in populated or trafficked areas, and make the game feel more populated in general, since fleets won't be as spread out as they usually are.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Strumpie posted:

There was a blog post on Transponders 2 days ago, in case anyone missed it.

If Alex gets in all the things he's been talking about, it's going to massively increase the complexity and depth of the overworld. It's great.

I'm excited for the whole... "Piracy is a viable option" aspect of it. Being able to prey on Hegemony fleets and trade with Pirates for the first time ever! I want in on those sweet Barad prices.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

http://gfycat.com/ExhaustedMiserlyFairyfly

Someone has to keep pushing the bullshit envelope

I love everything you do.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Minarchist posted:

You'll need to be fairly high level. Equip 4 AM blasters, spec your Afflictor for speed and shitloads of flux reserves. Don't worry too much about passive venting since you aren't tanking damage or fighting for extended periods. Get in close with as little flux buildup as possible, cloak when in range, uncloak and immediately nail their shields with your blasters then recloak. Anything destroyer sized or smaller will almost always overload. Your AM blasters will recharge a few seconds before the overload wears off and you'll have juuust enough flux to get off another set of AM rounds. Hopefully you didn't stay cloaked too long :mediocre:

Once they're a burning ruin following your second volley, vent all your flux, and bug out before his friends show up.

If you manage to get in close to a ship that's already overloaded or has too much flux built up you may be able to get away with a single volley.

I'd suggest firing them in pairs. The first two should be enough to overload most destroyers, and then you can dump the other two into the hull before peeling away.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

What kind of playstyle do you prefer? Most factions cater more to one playstyle than being allrounders.

My playstyle, personally, involves getting a lot of Blackrock ships and just using that.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

That will also make enemy ships much more unpredictable, imagine that you're about to blow up an Enforcer and instead of backing off and rotating to spread armor damage, it burn drives directly towards you while making GBS threads its entire payload of missiles. A lot of how I play this game is based on reading the fairly predictable AI so I'm looking forward to being surprised.

Knowing how the AI will react is 90% of the gameplay for me, especially with the early game where you need them to do something dumb and predictable to actually get a kill. It does make me happy to see a ship eat a HE missile to the hull instead of overloading it on the shields though. They know how fast you die when you get overloaded well enough.

But yeah. I'd love to have a challenge with the AI other than just, well, being horribly out-gunned. And having my allies be more aggressive and press the advantage would be something I'd appreciate on my side too. Too often, when an enemy ship is overloaded, does my allies back off and approach cautiously, like it'd bite them.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

This is by far the least fun I've had with this game since I bought it years ago. I can barely get my foot into the door before I get blown the hell up by raiders. Hiding and farming money between Asharu and Jangala for half an hour is pretty much the only thing I can do before I get wrecked by something.

Blegh.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

I keep trying to come back to the game but it feels impossible for me. The start is so rough and I've been ambushed so many times by fleets faster than me.

I think I've logged maybe two hours since he put out the update to Transponders and all that. I miss the old version. :/

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

ErKeL posted:

Yeah I know it's uncool to rage out at the single guy working on his dream project but I badly want to see what he's accomplished with the latest patch because it sounds amazing.

Was hoping for my birthday in Feb since he said, "soon" back in December but I'm starting to suspect he can't help himself but continue to tinker until its perfect.
Have to admire how much of a perfectionist Alex is.

Is it weird that I'm excited for when he releases it on Steam or another distributor? I'm just hoping that its a huge success for him.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

I do really appreciate how much he listens to the community. Like, the Plasma Cannon functions differently because of a bug report I submitted.

It used to consume Flux *then* fire, which resulted in the AI maxing out its Flux and being unable to fire since they would charge it, hit the Flux cap, and then not have enough to fire.

Now it works like a normal gun that doesn't make the AI terrible.

And he responded in like. A few hours after I submitted it and was fixed in the following update.

Tl;DR Alex is great and a great dev.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Flesh Forge posted:

This is the exact opposite of what I consider good game design. "This is the experience I want you to have" vs. "This is the experience YOU want to have". Having challenge in a game is great and I'm not saying the player should be able to click a button and get infinite money but y'know, saying that farming pirates is somehow objectively better or less tedious than trading is what I don't get.

Make a mod that removes tariffs and enjoy your grinding instead of being upset that a dev implemented a feature in the game to incentivise you to explore and take risks instead of mindless grinding along trade routes.

Also grinding pirates is poo poo money if there isn't a bounty. It's so bad I barely consider it.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

RentACop posted:

The decline of the Broadsword has been heartbreaking to watch

Wait what happened.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Fighter Tests: how long an Astral full of fighters takes to kill an Eagle. (6 wings)

Talons: 52 seconds
Broadswords: 162 seconds
Warthogs: 44 seconds
Gladius: 102 seconds
Wasps: failed to kill target
Lux: 38 seconds
Spark Interceptors: 31 seconds
Claw Fighters: 165 seconds (but it never got a shot off or moved so that was fun)
Borer Drones: failed to kill target
Mining Aux: failed to kill target
Terminator Pods (for fun): 134 seconds

Spark > Lux > Warthogs > Talons. Don't use Wasps or mining Drones and Gladius and Broadswords are complete garbage.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Voyager I posted:

Broadswords aren't supposed to kill thing by themselves anymore. They traded their SRMs for flares, so now their job is to tee things up for bombers by pressuring shields and distracting PD. REDACTED fighters are pretty much overpowered by design, given how they have to be acquired.

EDIT: shameful double post

I'll run some more mixed tests when I get home. So tmr. M

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Fighter testing continues. Ran each twice and took an average of the time. Once again this is with an Astral with the fighter mods, no skills and against an Eagle.

Talon 6 - 46s
Talon 5 Broadsword 1 - 56s
Talon 4 Broadsword 2 - 57s
Talon 3 Broadsword 3 - 75s

Warthogs 6 - 45s
Warthogs 5 Broadsword 1 - 41s
Warthogs 4 Broadsword 2 - 44s

Warthogs 5 Talon 1 - 48s
Warthogs 4 Talon 2 - 53s

Warthogs 2 Broadswords 2 Talons 2 - 57s

Some factors to consider. Engagement range. Interceptors like the Broadsword, Talon and Gladius will engage much sooner than Warthogs. So mixing Talons into a Warthogs fleet will make them take longer to arrive at the target since it'll be tied up further away.

Broadswords seem to help marginally with Warthogs but honestly, I just think they're garbage pants. The Warthogs generate enough Flux with their guns and the PD firing back that they'll do fine on their own. Talons just crush because have a lot of shots going out and the Swarmers will wreck the back end of a ship enough for Vulcans to shine.

Broadsword 4 Trident 2 - I loving gave up after the Tridents got blown up for the second time on the second run. Was like 118s the first time.
Broadsword 4 Dagger 2 - jesus stop loving dying you shits. 2 minutes and it's still there.
Broadsword 4 Flash Bomber 2 - do these things know how to aim their bombs no.
Broadsword 4 Khopesh 2 - kill me now
Broadsword 4 Longbow 2 - finally they can hit their target. But they don't do any damage with their bombs so why bother. I gave up after 120s.
Broadsword 4 Piranha 2 - I envy the dead

I tried out some Thunders mixed with Longbow and various bombers and found that that worked. Except it still took longer than just 6 wings of Talons and now I absolutely hate bombers.

Long story short. 6 Talon wings is good, 6 Lux is good, 6 Spark is good, and 6 Warthogs is good. Or 5 Warthogs with a Broadsword for fun.

Everything else is hot garbage. If you like Bombers that's your own fun but I think I'll stick with solid fighter wings.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

TheWetFish posted:

This is pretty interesting. Maybe try Talons against a stock Venture or a Dominator speced for armour. I'm wondering how heavily the minimum armour damage reduction changes will hurt the Talon's vulcan to hull dps.

Vulcans already do 25% damage to armor so they'd still be hitting it for like. 1. If you wanna test it just go to the missions, grab an Astral refit it and Run a Simulation against a Venture. Once there is a hole in the armor they'll chew it's health through that super quick. But you'll probably need to to help them get there.

But that goes for pretty much all the fighters.

(Armor caps at 85% DR without skills so it's whatever a vulcan is *0.85*0.25 per shot.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Kenshin posted:

This is really useful data and you should post it on the Starsector forums for Alex to see.

Its very scientific with n=2 for most of the stuff. So not at all. I might mod my game so Broadswords have Dual MG's instead.

Mostly it's that Beam fighters are crap, Broadswords could be better, and bombers are only good if you micromanage them and only if they could hit poo poo
And Gladius are crap too.

I might make a post. (Edit I did)

Brainbread fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 25, 2017