Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

How well developed is the campaign stuff for this so far? I know the OP mentions some stuff, but it also hasn't been updated since November.

Also, why is this not on steam? :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Just picked this game up and starting out. Skimmed the thread a bit but man, this thing feels really overwhelming so far. The wolf is hard to fly as a beginner (things got easier when I inverted the strafe button behavior though). The Hammerhead I got from the tutorial was a lot easier to figure out ("Push F to gently caress Enemy" is a nice ability!). Kinda tempted to restart without the tutorial though, now that I finished it.

What are some good beginner ships/setups? I know Carriers are supposed to be pretty OP, but I don't want to lean on them too hard if that'll make things boring. Also is there a good place to use as a "home base"? Somewhere with cheap supplies or good access to ships/parts? Is it even worth having a "base"? I assume somewhere to drop off loot would be handy.

Also what are good skills to go for? The 50% free repairs one seems nice, as does the supply maintenance reduction, but anything else a standout? The Survey/Scavenger skills?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

TastyAvocado posted:

Did you know you can hold shift to make the ship face the mouse? This is how you should be steering almost all the time, holding shift down.

Actually I inverted that control in the options so "Face mouse, A and S side strafe" is the default behavior while holding Shift does the "A and S turn the ship" thing.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Platystemon posted:

For skills, I suggest going heavily into Technology and Leadership and getting the things that make every ship in your fleet better.

Doesn't actually seem to be too many of those, besides a bunch of carrier oriented stuff. For the rest there is the Coordinated Maneuvers, ECM, and Loadout Design skills. Am I missing something else?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well, Wolves sure are annoying to fight. Just as I'm about to put enough pressure on them to max their flux they blink out of my reach. :argh: Plus their Ion Guns keep loving me up when I forget to turn on my shield. Still having trouble handling my own Wolf, its just so fragile and doesn't seem to have a lot of firepower (really seems to rely on being able to gently caress up the enemy with that ion gun), the only modification I made was swapping the micro swarmers with the dumbfire spread rockets (annihilators?). Whats a good setup for the lasher? I bought one new from the Hegemony but it didn't feel nearly as good as the Hammerhead. Obviously its a smaller ship, but I figure maybe I had it setup poorly (the dumbfire spread rockets, light mortars in the fixed slots, and MGs in the turrets).

Also dumb question, the ECM and Coordinated Maneuvers skills, it says every deployed ship gives +1-4% speed/ECM to every other ship in the fleet, is that a constant buff or only when you capture a nav bouy/sensor jammer?

Finally, what are some good early moves/goals? Should I buy a tanker and go out and do one of those early "Analyze Derelict" missions? So far I've just been tooling around the starter system, Corvus, and snooping around derelict ships and helping Hegemony Patrols kill pirates. Kind been scraping by so far, barely staying in the black money/supplywise.

Honestly, I'll probably restart my save again once I get some more experience. Nevermind I've probably done that about 3-4 times now. :v:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 06:35 on May 19, 2017

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Are Safety Overrides that good? The decreased combat time, reduced weapon ranges, and inability to vent seem like nasty drawbacks.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Whats a good way of boosting my sensor capability on the system/hyperspace map? Is there anything like an AWACs ship?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Are High Resolution Sensors available as a mod chip, or are they only a built in advantage of the Omen and Apogee? If they are available as a chip, I assume they're one of the rare ones you get from scavenging stuff in the unexplored regions?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Is it possible to make the pirates not pissed at you? It seems like doing a pirate game where you just work off a horde of salvaged (D) ships cobbled together with whatever weapons you could get could be amusing.

TheWetFish posted:

Only available as built-ins for the Apogee & Omen in vanilla Starsector

Well that is disappointing, I don't really want to mess with mods yet as I'm still learning all the vanilla stuff.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Baronjutter posted:

Spaceship PNGs are incredibly superior to spaceship jpgs. A much better investment.

Naturally,

They're lossless! :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Psycho Landlord posted:

I greatly appreciate that Alex and David continue to add portraits that are clearly just Brigador characters :allears:

poo poo, you ain't kidding. Its my man, Modesto! :allears:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ah. I haven't played since 0.7 I think, so he's new to me. :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Man its been so long I can't remember poo poo. Any good starting out tips? Right now I got the same problem of Mount & Blade where I'm struggling to figure out how to get stronger and definitely struggling to run down anything I can fight and run away from anything I can't fight.

Maybe I need to ditch the freighter and milk cow tanker.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ok, how about some suggestions for fitting certain common ships like Hammerheads, Lashers, and Wolfs. Both for player and AI?

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Nov 17, 2018

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Not sure what I'm supposed to be doing starting out. Right now I have the starter combat freighter and salvage/drone ship plus two questionably fitted Lasher frigates and I'm struggling to find small time pirates to bash my head against.

Should I just head out into the wild reaches of space?

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Nov 18, 2018

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Are Military-Auxiliary Kites with the worth using? I have this dumb idea to stick a couple salamanders on one to hopefully help gently caress up ships and make them easier to run down. But I dunno if they thing will just die like a damselfly.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Seems like everyone is running into these. How many Legions did the Domain leave laying around, geeze!

I'll go back for it eventually I guess. Those aren't even super terrible D-mods I think.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Is there any way to check what blueprints you've collected before starting a colony? I went out exploring and collected quite a haul of crap, including a Pirate Falcon Blueprint (I believe everyone has said these are good?)

Still haven't found a good world for setting up colonization. Actually, I found one half-decent world, that had a Remenant Battlestation orbiting it...

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Damnit, found another good colonization target, but yet again the system is crawling with massive Remnant forces.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Now imagine it ruled by warring factions of Mad Max-esque tribal scrap warriors.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Smiling Demon posted:

Don't sell blueprints to black markets unless you want pirates showing up armed with equipment from the blueprint in question.

Holy poo poo, does the game actually account for that?

Neat

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I wonder how long until the next version, I got the itch to play, but if the next update is gonna fix a lot of stuff maybe I'll just hold off.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ugh, trying to chase poo poo down is so frustrating at times. I hard burn and they just turn, away E-burn, and laugh.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

OwlFancier posted:

Generally the easiest way to get around that is to keep close to them with sustained burn

Complications posted:

Like this but if the plane above turns around and comes back down again.

My turning radius is massive under sustained burn. I must be doing something wrong.

Also, I've gotta get a better different ship, I can't fly this wolf for poo poo. Which way to people prefer to play? Strafe/Turn to Cursor on by default or Strafe/Turn to Cursor on shift? Both feel kind awkward.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ok, doing a bit better now. Picking up a pair of Lashers and officers helped with fights. I wish the Lasher officer was a bit more proactive. Their attitude is "Steady" even when I try to stick close to them and pick on the same target it feels like the second I move in to engage in my Lasher the Officer Lasher immediately backs away, even if I give it a direct "kill this" order.

I wish you could just set officer attitude/stance.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Man, I head out to wildspace to bag a simple bounty and I end up finding a mining station and research station in the same system that basically gives me an entire colony starter set:

If you don't recognize the icons, thats a pristine nanoforge, the fuel manufacturing thing, low and midline blueprint packages, and a Valkyrie blueprint.

Funny thing is, I wasn't really planning on doing any colonizing since the system is kinda wonky.

I also found the old guy in the navy uniform who turned out to be a badass carrier commander (all carrier skills maxed), which I needed. I've got a modest fleet going at this point, and I'm amused at how my logistics squadron seems to grow faster than my combat ships. I just picked that Sunder up, any suggestions on how I should fit it? I've messed around in a few sims and it seems tricky to use, at least compared to the hammerheads.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Mar 2, 2019

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Sadly I lack the optics mods, but I did find an ITU mod BP in the research station.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, I slapped ITUs on my stuff basically immediately.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

One thing that can help you get a handle on piloting a ship while doing other things is putting the vast majority of your weaponry on autofire except for limited ammo weapons like missiles/torpedoes or JustTheRightMoment weapons with long cool downs or other niche uses. That way you can worry more about piloting/positioning your ship and let your "crew" man the guns.

I need to pick this game back up again, been ages since I played it (close to a year I think). Maybe I should finally try some faction mods and/or Nexerelin.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Oh boy time to dip my toes back into this again and be a newbie once more.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ugh, any beginner tips? Good early ships, loudouts, and what to do? I've forgotten everything it seems and am sucking bigtime.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

What are good cargo ships to use? Tarsus? Buffalo? One of the BEEEG ones?

Kinda sucks they're so slow, but I guess you could use Augmented Drive Field to increase their burn speed, even use a few story points to build them in I guess.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

militarised subsystems

Militarized subsystems makes them count as military ships for the various skills that have diminishing effects if your fleet goes over certain deployment cost thresholds.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Found a pretty good system tonight.

Highlight is the Auric World with 125% Haz rating with Common Organics, Moderate Ores, Abundant Rare Ores, Rich Farmland, and Vast Ruins.
Next up is a Gas Giant with 175% Haz, Floating Continent(s), Extensive Ruins, diffuse Volatiles, and high temp.
Then a 200% Haz Barren with no Atmo, extreme temp, abundant ore and abundant rare ores.
A second barren world with no amto, ex heat, low grav, scattered ruins, abundant rare ore, sparse ore. 225% haz.
a third, distant barren world with sparse rare ore, abundant ore, poor light, no atmo, and extreme cold. 225% haz

System has 3 jump points, a domain-era sensor array, and two additional stable locations. Distance to the Core Worlds is pretty decent.

In addition a system about ~6-8LY away has a jungle world with a 75% Haz Raiting, Abundant Organics, Moderate Ore, Bountiful Farmland, and Scattered ruins with terraforming shades/mirrors in orbit. Only planet of note in that system though and it has a moderate remnant presence.

Still, I think thats the start of a nice little empire once I'm able to start colonization efforts.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Nah I got a few mods

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So I’ve found some excellent colonization prospects in close proximity to each other and also pretty close to the core worlds.

I’ve never done any colony stuff before, any starter advice?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The game just refuses to give me a potential contact among the Independents...

Also can you rename systems/planets with setting up a colony on them?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

El Spamo posted:

Yes, you can rename things at any time and as much as you want.

How? I can click on my colony names to rename them, but unsettled planets that doesn't work.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Bremen posted:

or you dip into the tiny fuel market

Does this mean setting up even rudimentary fuel production (no boosting items) will have the Dikat breaking down my door to preserve their non-Hegmony monopoly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Do people use the clean disengage option much? As an example I was doing some pirate hunting and I grabbed one group but another was apparently close enough in a hyperstorm to join in. And currently this is the mess I'm in.

They don't seem strong enough to defeat me, but I'm not making too much progress chewing into them with my fleet. I've taken out some ships though, and I'm wondering if I should just try to disengage and catch the two groups seperate instead of fighting until everyone's Combat Readiness (which has already started dropping) goes into the shitter.

Also WTF at all the larger pirate ships still having 85% CR...