Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Thanks Voyager for your tip about what was going on with fighter upkeep costs at the end of the previous thread, that would explain why my logistics exploded when I tried to swap out a squad of Talons for Wasps... Now I'm considering switching out my 2x Broadswords for 3x Thunder squadrons if they'll give about the same value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Burno posted:

Can someone clear up CR and Logistics for me?

I have the logistics skill maxed and keep it at or below 100, but no ship will go over 80% CR, is that the max for CR? Is there any other way to increase the logistics cap?

80% is max CR for Elite crew.

And the Xyphos fighters were useless compared to Thunders in the last patch I felt also.

The CR system is really growing on me, the logistics system is still mystical powers I don't fully understand.

Edit:

Why CR is a good? thing

Paragon, Astral, Odyessy - all completely helpless as they ran away... I saw them get hit by the big Hegemony fleet and then went after them, they mounted several rounds of combat so I fled to the Hegemony station to regain my CR and re-engaged them out near the Tri-tach base before they could repair.

VodeAndreas fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Sep 16, 2013

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Tanith posted:

Of course! I'm in this weird middle-phase where I can't take on the resupply fleets, but everyone else runs from me, so most battles are chases. I either preside over everything and just watch, or hop in a Tempest, put the turrets on auto, and toot about, torpedoing things here and there.

In pursuit/chase battles now you can click deploy a ship multiple times to send it from the sides of the map not just the front.

I've been putting a tempest on each side to help slow the ships down until my cruiser can catch up.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

AlphaDog posted:

The tempests I use for pursuits are usually fitted with a pulse laser in the foremost slot, a beam in the rearmost slot (graviton, then the pink one when I have the OP), an atropos rack, 10/10 vents, and then usually extended shields.

The graviton beam doesn't do much damage, it just makes the opponent keep their shields up and sometimes wrecks fighters. The pink beam is a bit better.

Yeah I've been using Pulse on left slot, Phase Beam on right slot, 3xHarpoon on missile point.

Both engine boosts (ALL THE SPEED), range boost and extended shield (this is a must for AI Tempests I feel)... Of course all these mods need a lot of technology +OP skills built up

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

What files do I have to edit to level up a new save file when I want to start playing with mods but have quick access to all my overpowered skills?

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Yeah, it's a little stupid that mothballing ships increases your logistics score, along with causing a host of other problems. I understand from a realism standpoint (you're towing the deactivated ship behind you) but not from a balance or gameplay standpoint.

Unless I'm confused and that's totally not how it works :ohdear:

Mothballing reduces a ship to 10% of it's logistics cost and takes away it's cargo and crew capacity, but when you bring it back into service it starts at 0% CR so you can't just flip it on and off for a single fight you have to wait for it to get ready for combat.

I run around with my Sunder lead fleet of frigates at Burn 11 tearing up anything in my way, all I've got to be careful of is the Tri-tach fleets with multiple capital ships and lots of MIRVs - speaking of which my self inflicted casualties went down a lot once I stopped leading with a MIRV wielding Aurora - they seem to my circling frigates in their rear armour a lot..

VodeAndreas fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 24, 2013

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

qwako posted:

I have been doing a whole lot of clicking in the deployment screen but i cant seem to get any ships to spawn on the sides anyone got a tip for me?

That's only during pursuit battles where the enemy's retreating, lets you cut them off - also only seems to be for fighters and frigates, won't let me flank with my Sunder.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

New patch is fantastic, my reputations are all hostile but at least I have a chance to work them back up now...

Or at least I would if I could work out how to break my Tri-tach commission, I tried doing some Hegemony bounties to get them out of hostile and break the commission that way but it just seemed to cancel the bounty without giving a reward.

I've bought out one of each capital ship and all their high tech weapons, now I just want to be able to massacre pirates in relative galactic peace.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I think the factions declaring war on each other bit might be a bit broken, in my game now the only faction which isn't openly hostile with every other party is the Luddic Church.

Still trying to break off my comission with Tri-tach but as much as they hate me for being friends with other people now I still make up enough rep for every pirate kill that it's keeping me on the edge of friendly.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Cleared out a 480k Tri-tach deserter bounty and got my sweet sweet reward of my first Tempest from the wreckage... It was worth all the pain and effort.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

It'd be nice if independents stayed that way and were always neutral with the other factions.

It's a bit annoying to get the hegemony back on trading terms then lose a bunch of rep because I dared to buy 500 supplies and an extra Wolf at the independent station next door.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Looks like there's been a lot of changes since I last played, how do these modspec things work?

Does it just unlock the hull mod for your use? And similarly do LPCs just let you select a different fighter type for a bay?

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

How about some good skills to aim for early on? I'm a bit lost with the new system, with the old one I'd just go straight for fleet wide OP boosts.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Shepherds seem great in the early game, is it worth keeping a couple around for the salvage bonus? How do you equip them?

Vvv 10th Feb 2012 for me ☺️. Some ridiculous value for money.

VodeAndreas fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 26, 2017

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Brainbread posted:

If they see that you don't deploy any large ships I feel that they should use torpedoes on your frigates and cruisers. They takes those to the grave instead.

I normally give my ships Harpoons instead of any sort of torpedo because the AI seems to be much happier to throw them out there as soon as someone's high on flux/overloaded/already dead.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

3 Talon squadrons and 1 Wasps seems to do the business for me.

Where do you get the Lux and Spark fighters? Which faction do I need to buddy up with or destroy?

I'm at the point where credits will never be an issue and the difficulty is just finding the ships and parts in the wild.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Soup du Journey posted:

Lux, Spark, and that other one are all Remnant fighters, so you'll only find them as drops from killing their carriers or occasionally as salvage on Dominion-era abandoned stations

Thanks, I've been destroying remnant frigates, I guess I need to go further from the inhabited worlds.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Agnostalgia posted:

Is the Ion Pulsar new to this patch? Its like a medium mount version of the autopulse laser but with added EMP and I'm having trouble not sticking them in every medium energy mount.

I put two on a Hyperion with a pair of antimatter blasters, it's disgusting.

Hyperion is definitely one ship I'll leave for the ai to fly as it pleases. I could never do the teleports as well.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I found one floating in space/salvaging with 4 dmods. I think it was about 350k to restore, totally worth it.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Um, is it just me or can you just Strip the Dmods off a ship? Caught myself an Astral and stripped off broken armor and a damage flight deck.

It's still not 100% but the numbers went up.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Platystemon posted:

This is a bug in the original release of 0.8a.

There’s a hotfix that fixes that bug and several others, like one that makes saves fail to load.

Ah, I should probably look at getting that then.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I just fought an Astral, 5 Tempests and some trash for a bounty... 0 salvageable Tempests :(

I've already got an Astral, what madman needs 2! (It's me, I imagine a fleet of 2 Astrals is ridiculous with the current state of fighters)

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

Here's a cheapass thing to do: deploy your support capitals with whatever the mod is that guarantees recoverability and deploy them, get them blown up, and then recover them.

I have a Phaeton which has never seen combat, that's actually a pretty good idea for your tankers at least, if they're ever in battle they're 100% hosed anyway.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

The Mora feels like the new Venture, big tanky carrier to hide behind.

I'm giving the Gryphon a go despite it's lack of fighter bays... Surprisingly competent? Sometimes the AI decides to hold back on the Pilums for no real reason though.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Mercrom posted:

With Expanded Missile Racks the Gryphon has 4 times the normal amount of missiles. Don't put Pilums on it.

I mostly want it for some extra ranged pressure, but doesn't work as well with the MIRV having a 2500 range now.

What do you recommend for the medium missile slots, not sure how well the AI will handle them with them firing out the side, I figured Harpoons wouldn't get much use despite the extra ammo so I'd go with something I knew the AI would use.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Mercrom posted:

Yeah the AI sucks. If you aren't controlling the ship yourself put all missiles on the same weapon select. Use small annihilator rockets to cover for your other missiles. It's better than using pilums. It's also better than pretty much anything else in the game right now except spamming Spark fighters.

The first time I got attacked by the rocket bombers I got a rude surprise that's for sure - I've got a couple of Salamanders on the front for now but annihilators aren't a bad idea - my fleet has enough ion damage as is.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

The medium Sabot pods are loving terrifying. Even a Paragon sweats a bit when a couple of those go off. Much more useful than the Squall MRLS that replaces them in large mounts imo.

After posting about my Gryphon yesterday I decided to hand my Medusa over to one of my officers and try flying it myself.

Two medium sabots on the side, annihilator and large torpedo launcher up front and anything that isn't a capital disappears.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

My Medusa is:
2x Ion Pulser
4x Burst PD
Expanded Magazines

2x reaper torpedoes in the universal slots at the moment for taking out carriers/large threats quick. I'm thinking of moving to a different HE weapon with a bit more use but it runs high on flux already.

You get ridiculous burst with the expanded mags,able to overload or disable anything smaller than a cruiser in one salvo, and any fighter wings disappear without too much trouble.

My AI controlled one swaps out the burst pd for 2 antimatter blasters and 2 pd lasers instead and drops the expanded mag for some extra vents.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Why are you guys using the crew transports? Even with the strength of fighters at the moment you should already have plenty of excess crew capacity in the bulk of your fleet. Especially when the strongest fighters and interceptors are drones, casualty rate on my bombers seems low.

Am I missing something? They don't give much fuel or cargo compared to tankers /buffalo/colossus which already give some excess crew themselves.

I mean it doesn't change much and I'm really enjoying having a reason to drag around support ships but don't see the need for crew.

Assuming a side note, do Trident torpedo bombers still exist? I haven't seen a single one.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Platystemon posted:

I just mothball those.

Yeah I just mothball my captured caps and cruisers, I don't carry enough spares to effectively fit them out so the only thing it limits is my ability to use transverse warp.

If you're going through that many Talon pilots then get better officers and recovery shuttle hull mods... Fighter Doctrine leadership skill too if you can afford it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I finally found a full operational [REDACTED] not just a damaged one...

That sure was a beating, first time I've had to retreat since I was going round with a pair of frigates.