Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Im getting annoyed that when you make colonies you literally can't avoid pissing off people and having to constantly bribe them.
Also its annoying to get the 1000 extra crew to start up a colony, whats the best way around that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Sure, just finding a 0 dmod capital ship lying around near a pirate base i was hunting down for a contract. I'll take it!

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I'm having real big trouble finding an Atlas for sale... everyone is hiding it behind comnissions/military sales. Any ideas?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I could go for space zombies or a bio-organic enemy/ship parasite thing like from cataclysm. Colony management seems to get more and more annoying over time because the other faction AI decides your colonies are literally satan and must be wiped out because how dare they being profitable while being at war and constantly attacked by pirates and jihadists.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I never do combat myself and just let the AI handle it, i give commands to take out priority targets though.

Edit: Do "aggressive" close combat ships ever work out? Even if i fully stock them and try to keep them flanking the enemy they just bumrush in the middle and get killed.

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Aug 24, 2019

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Im using the ships/weapon mod pack btw, just trying to make a punisher work somehow. I kitted it with plasma flamers and the safety toggles off for double venting

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I really want to use a missile cruiser as a support craft for my fleet. Is there an all around best missile to use? I often see pirate cruisers spam dumb fire but fast missiles en masse, which ones are those?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
More unwashed peasant question, what is the missile that spreads into shrapnel when fired?
I really wish there was a preview of what the weapon looks like when fired instead of having to go into the sim every time.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Which fighters/bombers are generally considered the most effective? I just pick whichever looks fun to use currently.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The only mod im using is the ship/weapon pack in that regard, does it have any new good ones? Ive seen talon/sparks a lot.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Ships dont really simulate battle, they have auto resolve values and if its bigger you will probably win.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I also find the amount of missile shots completely incomprehensible, i wish you could see an ammo count on the fleet/refit screen.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
With the current modding kit, would it be possible to recreate the beast from Homeworld Cataclysm? I'm pretty surprised there isn't a Homeworld mod yet.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
It's a bit sad to see that the fonts are still tiny and horrible especially at higher resolutions. :(

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Bumping up UI scale to 130% with anti aliasing at least solved it somewhat. I still feel the fonts in the menus are way too tiny (fleet screen etc), the general font seems okay.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The UI looks almost 100% the same as the previous version, so probably no?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
It's really hard to choose between skills now. Lowered fuel costs isn't that big of a deal compared to halved supply per month but it also includes emergency burn debuff removal... Tough choices.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I've restarted a game with the new version too. The 40k~ pirate bounties should be doable for any starter fleet. Avoid stations, I have no idea why they pay so little still.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
How do people feel about Promehteus vs smaller tankers? I picked up a free one early but I always feel like they slow down the fleet too much. but at the same time the max # of ships is limited anyways and having one big fuel tanker saves space sooo...

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Here we go again, a Legion XIV found just floating in space as i scouted a system... I hope the Legion is still good/useable, I remember it suffering from jack of all trades issues?

Also thinking about building colonies... does the old rule of "find a system with lots of planets" still apply? I found a system with 2 habitable and 2 shithole planets but it has no stable system spots for sensor arrays etc.

Razakai posted:

Any thoughts on 'must have' skills? I originally went for the energy weapon stuff as I was using a Wolf, but now I've got myself a Hammerhead I fancy piloting that and respeccing for it. So far I've just finished the tutorial stuff, so I've got a Hammerhead, 2 Wolves and a Condor as my setup. Also there's a bug that lets you unassign D-mods, so I inadvertently removed all of those from my ships while figuring out how refitting works which has been a bit of a power boost.

I rarely pilot myself so I prefer all of the logistics skills that improve your resource drain.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
So since I've never done any raiding and people say its a great way to get resources... how to best go about it? How many marines do I need? Do I just fly up to luddic path bases / planets and raid them?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I'm still having issues with keeping my costs afloat... i guess its time for a colony? Also RE: carriers, any darlings / outstanding strike craft? Like is there a canonical best fighter / interceptor / bomber?
I've stashed my 2 Legions for now since the crew upkeep is too high for my income.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Also it seems trade rumors are completely gone from the game? The only way to get trades now is random npcs at bars I guess?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Does anyone else feel that the progression still is too quick overall? There's little to no room between "flying around with 2 destoyers and a few frigates" and just finding abandoned capital ships on a little exploration trip.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Started a new game on normal instead of easy, my first bounty target got me to a system with 2 class 5 planets and domain comm relay / sensors.... but one is a jungle world with 175% hazard rating and the other one arid with 150%. The jungle world especially sucks since it has decivilized and some other +50% hazard mods.
Other planet is a 150% arid with great mining opportunity. Then theres also 2 no atmosphere no real resources barren ones and a gas giant...

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I feel my current game is cursed/haunted in its own way. I've explored more than half of all solar systems now and havent found a single low danger beacon, only medium and high. Also I found 3 distress calls in a row that were legit distress calls and not traps.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Just got a survey mission for a planet called "Alpha Site", its pointing to nowhere and has no sector indicated. I guess it's a bug or something thats supposed to appear later?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Any fun loadouts for the Radiant?

The 5 Plasma cannon one made me laugh but I dont think that's gonna fly.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I finally managed to get my hands on a tempest. Id like to fly a speedy strong ship as a player myself sooo... any best weapons? 2x Heavy Blaster seems to be a good idea for a shotgun build, am I wrong or correct in this? How dumb would it be to add safety overrides?

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Apr 10, 2021

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I remember some godly "shotgun Odyssey" build but I forgot what it actually was and I wonder if it still works.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Remember to always salvage stations when they break apart. I just fished out 2 Synchotron cores from debris after breaking mining stations.

Pristine nanoforge still eludes me, I guess I'll have to head into some red systems...

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Vengarr posted:

Oh man, there are even more of these special industry items that require 10+ of a commodity...what is even the point if you're not playing Nexerelin? By the time you have a colony capable of producing that much poo poo, you already have won the game. "Infinite money" vs. "Infinite money +1" isn't much of an upgrade.

The specialty items are rare enough that they don't really need additional limitations. poo poo, I think you should be allowed to have multiple nanoforges or synchrotrons in a single colony if you're lucky. The limiting factor should be finding them, and keeping them from being stolen.

Sadly I can't figure out where the hell the actual data is stored or I'd mod it out.

Look that orbital lamp isn't for you... It's for them! Sell it to any faction world that's cold or dark and they will install it. Enjoy being able to sell volatiles at a crazy markup forever and ever.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

toasterwarrior posted:

What else can story points be used for? Now that I know you don't convert them into skill points (just use them for turning skills elite), I assume you should be very willing to use them whenever since you get a lot of bonus experience. I've sunk one already into adding SO to this starting frigate just so it feels much better to pilot.

Installing shipmods permanently
Hiring mercenaries
Getting out of scans by patrols
Improving colony buildings
Stopping colony inspections/expeditions
Getting more money out of delivery contracts
Elite skills/mentoring of officers
Recovering shipwrecks

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I feel like the 3 hull mods skill is a trap compared to being able to field a fully kitted Radiant. It's scary how effectively and effortlessly it wipes out everything in sight.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Any mod that lets the player control the Radiant? I read there was an exploit to trigger it with ship recovery but just giving the option would be fun.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I might be a bit dense but in the mission "Finding Coureuse" Im stuck in a dialogue loop... I already investigated the abandoned station but skipped most of the dialogue but it didnt give me any new options... what do you have to do? It says to look for evidence that she's in the system but I've been pretty much everywhere and cant find a way to continue it

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Thanks, I found the second piece by just stubbornly visiting every planet / interactable object. in the system

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
After 20 hours vanilla I installed some mods again (terraforming, adjustable sector, some QoL mods) and my god I hate accepting 3 exploration missions only to have them lead to red danger sectors.

Then again the random generation put a medium danger sector in the middle of the core worlds... I wonder if the planets in there are good. Thinking about doing a commission with a faction this time. How do you all top the allure of high tech with tritach and hitech ships in general?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

BULBASAUR posted:

I miss crew experience and boarding actions, but I get why those got dropped. Hoping mods can eventually bring back the feeling of crew progression without the baggage.

Starship legends Is kind of neat I think, I'm using it myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I feel like some things need a balance pass, storyteller just told me the location of a recoverable Paragon for 18k credits.