Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Travic posted:

So I started my first colony. I'm focusing on fuel production for this one since the planet doesn't have good mining bonuses. I ended up finding about 4 Synchrotrons, 5-6 corrupted nanoforges, and 1 pristine nanoforge. Is there any reason to keep the duplicates? If I sell them does that mean the AI can use them to make fuel/build stuff or is that a Nexerelin thing as well?

On the other hand I read that the Diktat is the only other faction with a synchrotron. Does that mean I can take it away from them and have a monopoly? :getin:

Feel free to sell them unless you go for a monopoly. You might want to keep one extra synchrotron because fuel is one of the best money making industries AFAIK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I've never built the planetary shield but you should be fine with just ground defense. I find that colonies can defend themselves pretty well with military bases and a lvl 2 orbital station to the point that the batteries are mostly for stability.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I think this version of the skill system is much better than the old one since you can actually get most skills you want while having to make some decisions along the way. I'm still going to mod it to allow me to keep leveling for longer campaigns but it doesn't feel mandatory any more. I can't think of anything I miss from the old system :shrug:

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Military bases also produce bigger fleets than the patrols. A high command plus one military base keeps you safe from most expeditions/raids.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

There's a beta version of nexerelin on the discord by the way. Haven't noticed any bugs so far except for some bugged bar quests and I can't be sure that's from nex.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Fast cruisers with a shitload of beams and missiles. And then you reload until the AI fucks up and forgets to dodge everything perfectly. Or you force it to unphase on top of a reaper if you have a harbinger.

Edit: most capitals are useless since they can't keep up. Fighting phase ships just sucks in general though so of course fighting a boss version sucks more.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Apr 8, 2021

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Mondian posted:

drat, you're right. Don't suppose you know of a secret brdy beta somewhere too?

Sadly, no. It'd be on discord if anywhere.

Also yeah officers deciding your deployment points seems like an unusual mistake from Alex and co. I'm sick of having minimum points against a raiding fleet of destroyers and frigates because they get to jam 30 loving officers in their fleet. It'd be nice if the AI actually respected new game rules instead of cheating.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Or kill a staggering amount of ships with your Paragon or Caliph, even. I can't field more than 160 points because the enemy has 20 loving lashers with officers? Whatever.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

That's what a frigate gets for getting in the way of a capital. Don't get in the way of guns that are bigger than your ship.

Though I just had an Aurora push my overloaded Paragon into the enemy lines when I was trying to back off. Sometimes the enemy MVP is your fleets AI.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

OwlFancier posted:

You really would hope it would learn the little bastards to stop but no, they all loving do it.

Oh yeah, that's easily the worst part of piloting a Paragon or similar. Maybe don't block the ship with 4 large weapons and 2.2 k range. You will be treated as an asteroid.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

RuckusRouser posted:

Getting back into this game for .95 and have a few questions

-Any suggested mods that include more "Paragon-level" ships? I like having mixed fleets, but in vanilla endgame optimization seems to be having as many Paragons as possible -- not counting the new storyline ship.

-I played a vanilla game for a bit and found a bunch of coronal taps but no hypershunts. Are the shunts extremely rare?

-Someone suggested limiting the AI officer cap to fix the new deployment point restrictions. Which file do I adjust?

Tahlan shipworks adds a lot of strong capitals. Basically all ship packs and factions add new capitals so you'll have a lot of options if you throw a few in. When Ship/weapon pack updates get that since it adds a bounty hunting "quest line" that gives you upgraded version of some ships and some new ones. A lot of faction mods also have a special bounty ship for that quest. Do you want a Paragon with even dumber flux stats and 5 Large weapon mounts? Sure. A 100 deployment cost super capital? absolutely.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

RuckusRouser posted:

I was cautious about adding random ship packs because I assumed that many wouldn't be balanced well and I couldn't find out myself until lategame. Figured the Goon Hivemind would be able to point me in the right direction.

In my experience most of them are balanced well enough. Mistakes happen but they're usually small. I'd recommend any of these: Blackrock Driveyards, SCY, Dassault-Mikoyan Engineering, Tiandong, Tahlan, Mayasuran Navy, Diable Avionics and Kadur Remnant .

The first three aren't updated for 0.95 yet but should be at some point. It's worth checking out the ship/weapon packs too.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I can't be sure that it's the same problem but I got a similar error from Torchships and deadly armaments combined with Graphicslib. TaDA has released a fix for it so get the latest version of that.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

ErKeL posted:

I was kicking rear end until I stumbled upon this fleet and it bent me over its knee and spanked me. I rolled in thinking I've got the CR advantage and I could just wait them out and mop up but they absolutely obliterated me within seconds.

I tried that fight once and since then I've avoided it. One Doom is bad enough with how dumb the mines are.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Bold Robot posted:

Is there any way to locate the coronal hypershunt using console commands? I've been to every system and only noticed one, and I really don't feel like checking all of them again. Is it like the inactive gate in that it shows up as soon as you enter the system?

There is. devmode in console, then ctrl+z for unlimited sensor range. Then you can check the system map and if you turn on names for systems you haven't visited they should be color coded. Not entirely sure what color they are but there are only 2 of them and as has been said they only show up in blue giant/supergiant systems.

Beware that devmode seems to turn on instant build for colonies so either do all of this while paused and turn off devmode (and press ctrl z again) before unpausing or save before doing this.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

FrickenMoron posted:

Any mod that lets the player control the Radiant? I read there was an exploit to trigger it with ship recovery but just giving the option would be fun.

This is the closest thing I could find: https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=20114.0

It should allow you transfer control to a Radiant in combat but you can't use it as your flagship and you have to acquire it with the skill as usual.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Yeah the cryosleepers about triple the growth rate with an alpha core so they're well worth building and then shutting down when the colony reaches size 6.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I like making the capture points more relevant but I don't like how the AI always has the advantage in both ecm and deployment. I mostly run cruisers and capitals towards the endgame and even if I ran more destroyers I'd still be outnumbered. So ecm and deployment always goes against the player because every AI fleet has 15 officers and 40 ships. Before 0.95 it was relatively common to run into opponents that didn't even have the ecm skill and now you're always stuck at -10% range.

That's probably why I always end up in a Paragon or better since you need a ship that can solo several hundred points to do anything.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Insert name here posted:

Tbqh I actually haven't had too much issue since the RC14 changes. The reduction in enemy officer count means I find I'm getting into fights and starting in the range of 190-210 DP (size 400) which is much more fair. You also are guaranteed one gimme objective as well now, so no hoping that at least one objective spawns close enough that you don't have to contest it. The Gunnery Implant change with the ECM now being the elite bonus also means you end up encountering far less ECM as every single frigate and destroyer is no longer pumping out loads of ECM anymore; I've actually run into captial level bounty fleets with 0 ECM now, which is nice.

I forgot to update to RC14 before starting a new campaign so that's my fault. :v:

Even with me being on RC12 or whatever I do like that I have to give a poo poo about capturing points at least. Before I'd just field whatever I feel like but now there's a point in getting your faster ships out there so you can throw in 60 DP of carriers or whatever afterwards.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

SpacePope posted:

Can't remember where I found it, but someone made an unofficial 0.95a BRDY update. Same with Tiandong. I could share it but I'm not sure if that's okay with Cycerin.

Been playing with it for a couple days and I haven't found any bugs.

I'm having no luck finding it on discord so if you feel like posting them anyway I'd be grateful. They're easily two of the best faction mods.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Sandweed posted:

I'm turning around on the Industrial Evolution mod, it has some nice features like the military relays that let's you increase fleet size from a high command across the sector ect and the Ship Production Templates that gives you a free built inns on ships, but on the other side the entire "industrial ruins" is a terrible system and I feel like the loot table is filled up with the useless trash that makes that system work.

Yeah the more I play with it the more I realized I don't use it. The only two buildings I build is super computer and centralization bureau and both of those are only good when you have a well built colony at which point you don't really need more money.
Introducing a new commodity required to build ships just seems unnecessary and intrusive and the new loot is basically all pointless. You're not going to build the thing that converts vpcs to stuff when you can just build a heavy industry if you want supplies etc.

Kestral posted:

This mod is great except for one thing (IMO): habitable worlds have a very good chance of being contaminated with Parasitic Spores or Psychoactive Fungus, which have some... fairly extreme modifiers, in addition to being conceptually really unsettling. Given how uncommon those worlds are in the first place, I found it pretty frustrating to experience the whiplash of "hurray, finally a world where my people can settle and live like humans were meant to - oh god anyone who lives here gets infested with xenofungus and now all our ships are bad."

The rest of Unknown Skies is quite nice though. I'm going to strip those modifiers out on my next playthrough, but if the fate of fake people on your space colony doesn't bother you, it's probably fine to leave as-is.

Another reason to install console commands. After surveying like 200 planets to find a decent system I feel pretty ok with some light editing of a system to remove spores or add some organics to a mining planet. That's the one downside of the new colony items - you want a gas giant so you can boost volatile production, your farming planet shouldn't have transplutonics on it etc. It makes the requirements for a colony system very specific and running a less than ideal setup is now not slightly worse but instead bars you from using your toys.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Apr 30, 2021

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I still think vpcs are pointless since they're replaced by a waypoint and a military base. At best they save you some money on fuel and supplies.

And the limited use blueprints for ships are largely pointless too since unless you hit a specific super rare ship they might as well just give you a blueprint. In my current game I've found 1 ( after 200 surveyed planets) and it's for an odyssey which I could very easily buy. I'd happily trade all the vpcs for 1 pristine nanoforge which they've likely cost me by being on the loot table.

I run like 45 mods so I very seldom remove any but industrial evolution doesn't add anything meaningful and honestly makes things a bit worse. A shame since there's a lot of effort put into it but none of the ideas work for me.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

You can also use console commands for devmode and then press ctrl+z to turn off sensors and instantly find everything in the system. Devmode also turns on instant build for colonies though.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Brainbread posted:

Is there a mod to just let you scan the gates / use them after scanning? I've done the main quest enough times that I want to just kinda. Get going.

I've tried using console commands to give myself the janus device but it doesn't appear to be enough.

You need to turn on being able to scan gates. Type devmode and then you can go to any gate and turn on scans from there.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Has the infernal machine been changed recently? I started a run but it was extremely expensive for a mediocre capital. I like the idea but the upgrades don't go far enough and the end result costs way more than a paragon.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

SpaceDrake posted:

And it retains the 50 cost, so it costs less than a Paragon, at least without literally every upgrade (I haven't done all the upgrades yet).

I meant credits, a fully upgraded TIM costs about as much as buying two paragons. One decent capital is not worth half a fleet. And the ship is essentially useless when you start since you have to get rid of like 5 d-mods before it can fly or shoot straight.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Sure, but it sucks to fly. The point of starting with the ship is to use it yourself and it gets outclassed by ships that cost less than the final upgrades.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

dis astranagant posted:

Why would you fly an anvil yourself? Don't you have something better to do with your time?

What else is the point of a custom starting ship? And if I remember correctly you start with just the TIM and maybe a weak frigate so it's not like you have options. The upgrades should cost half as much and you should be able to buy all of them otherwise you're better off flying an onslaught.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I wouldn't mind separating combat skills from the rest so QoL skills don't compete with blowing things up. Piloting a powerful capital is essentially mandatory anyway and I'm not piloting a Paragon without +50% maneuverability.

I don't see how the game would be better without a skill system though. I don't know how you'd replace it without people feeling the need to get the same buffs through whatever system you replaced them with and then you've just made people jump through more hoops than playing the game as normal.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Yeah having your levels be capped long before I normally want to end my campaign is insane to me so that's one of the first mods I grabbed. Though I also rely on console commands to speed things up a bit. I really don't like how long it takes to look through a system so I play with max sensor range. Exploration is much more enjoyable when you can just do a quick drive by of the planets and find basically everything in the system. Missing one research station in an asteroid field doesn't really improve my experience.

Edit: improved sensors exist but that doesn't solve my main problem of early game exploration being slow. The time you need sensor range the most you have the least available.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 3, 2021

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

The only problem is that upgrading the infernal machine into a decent ship costs about as much as an entire fleet. And even then it loses to several other capitals. It's a good idea not taken far enough.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

It's also my least favorite ship system except for doom mines. It's always lovely pirate garbagebricks that get it and they seem very content with suiciding themselves just so they can refuse to die for a few seconds.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Or why saving often is a good idea so you can reload and transverse jump out.

The phase change is very welcome, it's tedious as poo poo that some ships refuse to retreat but also refuse to fight. The enemy has one phase frigate that refuses to surrender, my fleet of 15+ cruiser sized ships couldn't possibly leave.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Rynoto posted:

Phase ships are easily countered by bringing hunter-killer frigates :shrug: Only need a pair working together and they're cheap.

Some carriers do the same thing without wasting slots on frigates. And the main reason I dislike the doom is that even if you heavily outnumber your opponent you will always lose a cruiser to mine spam.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

stopgap1 posted:

I have been feeling sad with how quickly the desperate hobo phase goes away. I know the creators mentioned their awareness of the situation but did not mention a possible fix.

You can, obviously, mod the game to make prices higher and rewards lower. Haven't really messed with that myself because I'm not trying to make the game harder. There's a slight paradox with the broke hobo phase in that better players are more likely to enjoy the challenge than newer players who can barely fly straight but better players can also just kill a 100 point fleet with a Hammerhead should they need to which shortens the phase further. People who don't pilot ships themselves and only commands their fleet exist, supposedly. Those players are also at a significant disadvantage because they don't have the best possible pilot.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

There's a reason why the 3 doom fleet in the story is the only fight I've never done. Fuuuck that.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Complications posted:

At least one of those sensor ghosts has an outlined fleet signature, so what happens when you move up for a close encounter? I'm looking forward to finding out.

Whatever it is I'm looking forward to being underprepared for it.

This is really good.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Sep 25, 2021

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Have you considered shoving the whip up your rear end?

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

ErKeL posted:

I've regretfully gambled on a lot of early access indie games over the years and I would rate this as an elite tier purchase.
This is probably the only dev I bother to read the updates and blog posts for because I can feel the passion he has for it.
How Alex goes about developing a new gameplay change, explaining what he thinks the players will use it or exploit it for and how it'll benefit the game is insanely detailed and I wish I had a crumb of that kind of dedication.

But he's not working on the specific thing I want so therefore he sucks.

Nevermind that he clearly puts a lot of work in and that Starsector is several times as good as any other game that tries doing similar things.

He's got a list of things he wants to have in the game before it's "finished". We'll get there when we get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Weapons and ships being very limited is a thing I've never been a huge fan of. It makes sense in the setting and to balance your scaling through a campaign but if I feel like adding 2 hammerheads to my fleet I don't really care to fly around for 10 minutes looking for them. I don't really give a poo poo that the market I'm at only has 3 railguns instead of the 4 I want. Sometimes you want something very reasonable but the one place that sells the cap/cruiser you're looking for just doesn't feel like having one in stock for several refreshes. The same thing goes for fuel and supplies. When you reach a certain point the only way to refuel your fleet properly is to have a synchotron colony of your own because no other place sells more than a third of your cap. When I get to that stage I don't really have a problem with consoling myself the fuel/weapon/ship and also removing the credits since that's the main limiting factor. It's all available to me if I feel like flying between systems for a good while.