Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

McGiggins posted:

EDIT: Is there any reason to destroy an enemy ship, as opposed to simply disabling it?

Gets the hulk out of the way. It's generally something that happens by accident, though it takes a lot of damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Bold Robot posted:

Where the hell can I buy Needlers? I haven't seen them anywhere.

I've seen the whole line for sale on Sindria.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

But its dead dude, the dev cycle is soo slow! Lol dead gaem

its just another part of recreating the mount and blade experience.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

so i was reminded of this through a Great Thread™ and have decided to buy this now (i loved SPAZ)

is it recommended to just install that bigass collection mod right away or play through vanilla first?

It'll be a lot easier to get used to the game mechanics with the relatively small set of ships available in the base game. Most of the popular factions add new gimmicks, not to mention a lot more potential parties trying to kill you.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
Are there any officer personalities other than aggressive and timid?

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
I wish ships in your fleet had a stats page. Even just "ships killed" would be helpful but stuff like "overloads inflicted" or "damage/battle" would be great. I tend to fly out through the middle of the enemy pack as soon as battle starts and its hard to tell which of my ships/loadouts are actually effective as opposed to just not dying unless I follow one around for a few battles.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

eXXon posted:

Well, until you run into another large fleet full of superior frigates and a cap ship or two. Like a big nasty Tri-Tach detachment if you can find one... Of course I can't now that I have a battleship and a bunch of cruisers. Also loving aggressive officers keep getting their ships destroyed. I have to assign them to Lashers just to minimize the damage they do to my budget.

Aggressive officers fly everything about the way a player would fly an enforcer, they're poor choices for anything that can't facetank an enemy fleet for least a little while.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Gobblecoque posted:

I like it. Flying around soloing the whole sector in a Medusa is certainly fun but it has always felt like that being the optimal playstyle was kinda undermining the game's potential.

Hey now, you could also use a Hyperion.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Taerkar posted:

I think one thing that needs to be worked on is the issue of self-preservation for the AI. One of the worst decisions IMO regarding the command points is that ordering a ship to retreat costs one. I know there's a mod that helps with this but once a ship starts taking deep armor damage into the hull I tell them to retreat.

If the AI was able to understand 'I am not winning this' then it would be better.

It'd be better if you could set a "retreat threshold" for each ship so you wouldn't have to manage that as closely to avoid losing ships. Like you could have your tougher ships automatically retreat at 25% hull while your more fragile ones might retreat at 99%, so they start running as soon as a their armor is penetrated. You could get a log message about it like you do with disabled ships, so you can cancel the order if you need them to keep fighting.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
Looking forward to running a poo poo fleet with "Verizon call center" levels of turnover.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
Is the Ion Pulsar new to this patch? Its like a medium mount version of the autopulse laser but with added EMP and I'm having trouble not sticking them in every medium energy mount.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
The mining drones being locked in on their one fighter bay means they're not really a carrier any more while almost any other cruiser has better weapon options. Ventures suck.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
I'd definitely put the three points from surveying elsewhere, it can get you a lot of money but there's less boring ways to do that and better uses for the points.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
Does any faction consistently carry the converted hangar hullmod? I want to do a gimmick run with it but haven't seen one.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
I just noticed marines are still for sale at some places. Do they even have a use now?

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
The mission system's kind of hilarious this patch, you can use converted hangers to put a terminator drone on every non-frigate ship you have.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
Also they cost 0 OP because there's no need for them to have an OP cost in the campaign.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

FooF posted:

To add to this, Cruisers also have Dedicated Targeting Core (if you don't have Integrated Targeting Core) which adds an additional 35% range to everything, in addition to their inherent range buff by virtue of being a bigger ship. (I can't remember the stats on the inherent range buff 0/10/25/35?) Basically, a Cruiser is going to outrange a Destroyer by at least 10-15% but with DTC or ITC, closer to 50%. Cruisers typically pack about 2-4x the firepower of a Destroyer as well.

Also, the Eagle, Aurora, and Falcon are all surprisingly nimble for being large ships. The Aurora with its ship system can keep up with Frigates, let alone Destroyers.

The Aurora's probably one of the most fun flagships in the game. A safety override Aurora can hit 300 speed with its system on, enemy fleet formations get hosed up by something that fast running rampant with that much firepower.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
Mostly tritach, kill some of their patrols and you'll get one eventually.

V Turn off your transponder and lurk around the edges of their systems, you can lure in one patrol at a time as they come to yell at you for having it off and then murder them. If they don't know who you are and haven't seen you attack another friendly fleet they won't run away even if their fleet is smaller.

Agnostalgia fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 31, 2017

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
I kind of think the reach mechanic made more intuitive sense, and the problems with the circles on the map could have been helped with some filter options that defaulted to the most relevant info (e.g., only showing reach for the largest market per system).

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
The new station systems are probably the most complicated part of the new update, but I'm picking the outside bet that the dynamic refits will be the most broken addition when the next version first comes out. Expecting ships with no weapons or onslaughts with PD in every slot on release day.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
It always takes me a minute to find the email with the key because I forget i need to search for Starfarer instead of Starsector.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Most money I've spent on games feels like a rip off, I consume it and then feel like "eh, I could have easily not spent $40 on that". But with Starsector I feel guilty I only paid $10. Like drat, I'd pay $10 per update and still feel like I was getting a god drat bargain.

But for real, how do I figure out what a D-mod does before I buy a ship?
Sounds like I need to do some survey missions because making money is a real grind in the hobo-phase. My fleet is 2 wolfs, a mint condor with no D-mods I found, and a dram tanker. I'm kitted out with a mining blaster but really having a hard time in battles and my AI buddy Wolf is super cowardly when I need him and then gets killed flying between huge ships. Better buy him an officer.

I got a hot tip there was a pirate base in a core-adjacent surveyed world which also had a nice 40k bounty, but every planet I surveyed had no features and was just a huge waste of supplies. Really need to keep staggered saves because I keep getting my rear end kicked.

I think stats decreased by d mods will be red on the ship details. Haven't started up the new version yet though so i may be misremembering.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

my kinda ape posted:

Where am I most likely to find a Gryphon? There were two in all of Hegemony space and one was damaged and the other I didn't have enough rep with the military to buy. Found another with two D mods at Sindra. I just want a good one!

Can you not remove dmods anymore?

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Man, I'm barely treading water. Bounty hunting has leveled far beyond what I can tackle, exploration missions are few and far between and have me spending like 60k worth of fuel and supplies to get a 70k contract. I'm mostly taking small jobs at bars like food delivery for 20k, which end up costing me 10-15k in consumables.

I was doing so well and building up my fleet but the galaxy leveled up faster than me and killed half my fleet, been limping around since. How do you recover? I need space bux.

Buy storage space somewhere and store your more expensive-to-maintain ships there so you can get things done without spending massive amounts of money. Then try to take a few contracts on the same side of the sector so you can traverse a big arc and get them all done in one expedition. Named bounties are the only thing that levels up with time, you won't need a massive combat fleet for exploration and salvage runs. You can come back for big fish like motherships and battlestations with your whole fleet later, focus on getting a bit of a war chest for now.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Anticheese posted:

I'd buy that if they actually had some custom text when you turn it in. Also their whole deal is crushing the menace of high technology (except for their antimatter-fuelled starships which they need for their crusade), so I would expect them to have more of a reaction.

The Luddic Church is particularly concerned with ai cores because they consider them the most dangerous technology to mankind and take their destruction particularly seriously. The Pathers are extremists who think ALL high technology is that bad and should be destroyed. They'll take the cores but they don't view them as fundamentally different or more sacrilegious than the spaceship you carried it to them on.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I've only found one XIV legion since the update. Which is nice sure but I'm not tripping over them.

i found three in one system to make up for you i guess.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
I still haven't seen a single Aurora or the blueprint for it in this version. Used to be I'd just kill TT defense fleets until I found one, now they only seem to have little patrol fleets in their systems. RIP best ship

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

It's still very weird to me how small this game is compared to how good it is.

Probably mostly due to not being on the major storefronts.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Wafflecopper posted:

The thing about movement being on one mouse button on one screen and the other on another is a valid point, that is some inconsistent and bad design. The game owns though

yeah that one fucks me up everytime. It's especially weird because "right click for dropdown context menu" is like, standard everywhere that has those kinds of menus.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
The other missile is below the first, the expanded racks allow you to take advantage of the illusive third dimension normally accessible only to fighters.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
I need to do an all missile fleet my next campaign, I've never gone heavy on them before. That tournament fleet with all the falcon-P's, goddamn.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
Imagine that onslaught fleet if the onslaught was four more enforcers instead of a 40DP mascot.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

I don't even manually control a ship so it's easy

that sounds very boring

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Z the IVth posted:

When fleets get past a certain size it's more fun to set autopilot and just watch the pretty fireworks. I can't get enough of the battlefield in view to have the awareness to pilot a capital properly even if I was going to try to be good at it.

I'll be happy to drive a frigate or destroyer in the early game though.

Even in large fleets a destroyer or light cruiser is a massive force multiplier when piloted by the player, though. The AI isn't aggressive enough on its own to collapse a flank or mess up the enemy's formation, but it'll be way more effective if you're there doing that.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
Sadly, I think the automated ship recovery skill is kind of useless compared to its alternative because of the massive CR penalty. With one remnant ship in my fleet, it has a max CR of 45% even with an officer core with the skill that increases max CR.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
Just captured a Paragon from a random pirate fleet that was otherwise all junkers, and I think it may have the ideal set of D-mods: Life support, fuel injector, and degraded subsystems. Basically half deployment cost for no meaningful in-combat penalty.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Xerxes17 posted:

Ahahhahaha I think raiding is just a bit overtuned right now because as is you can just live off raiding pirate bases for supplies and fuel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmtuRRhtGQw

Dandywalken posted:

Just got the unique ship from alpha site. Now to get some Paragon henchmen to fight the bruiser bros at the hypershunt.

I found the (new content spoilers)Ziggurat to be pretty underwhelming since I had already fought the Tesseracts. The Zig is just a phase capital with some big guns, the Tesseracts actually gently caress with your expectations of the established game mechanics. I was not prepared for the fight to get harder after I blew one up.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Psycho Landlord posted:

The Zig is the single most overpowered ship in the game because of its ship system. It is definitely not just a bigger Doom. Said system is also tailor made to let you kill Tesseracts without absurd losses.

Press your F button more.

I meant fighting it. I don't care about using it, its too expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
Does more than one Coronal Hypershunt spawn in the sector? The one I've found isn't within 10 LY of any decent planets.