Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

RentACop posted:

Before I would just throw everything in on every fight, now I've got an elite team of tricked-out high-tech frigates solely for pursuing defeated fleets and/or emergency backup if poo poo Gets Too Real. I was gonna give them special names but that would be more roleplaying than I'm prepared to handle

I really like that teleporting tech frigate. I put a pair of torpedoes on it, a ton of vents and some anti-matter blasters. Teleport straight behind a capships engines and fire off a crippling volley, I love it. It's fragile as all hell but it gets the job done in my hands (the AI is poo poo at it though).

I also like the Tempest just because two of the green laser guns are so strong on it with the amount of mobility it has. It's been nerfed quite a lot though so the flux fills up fast and drains slow but it's still a solid boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Tempest is still the best ship, I especially love having 5 points in the skill that makes you do double damage to engines and weapons. If you get behind an enemy ship at any point it's dead in the water.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Bruc posted:

What kind of weapon loadout do you use on it?. I had a hard time finding something that seemed to do good damage without building up flux hilariously fast.

My current fit is 2 pulse lasers, a triple harpoon rack, accelerated shields and 10/10 capacitors and vents. I'm level 15 at this point though and I have a hilarious amount bonuses from skills. Combat 5 with 3 skills at 5 atm, next level I'll get tech 5 and from there on out anything I pilot is a death machine regardless of anything else.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Whoops got worried there for a second. Turns out my key was in an email tagged with the old Starfarer name, time to try this new build :)

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Is anyone else having an issue where periodically the UI will fail to show up anymore? Can't bring up character, fleet or any other screens and mousing over fleets give no information popup. Only way I've found to fix it is to relaunch the game.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The pace is fine you nerds. Let me tell you what isn't fine, the fact that every mod hasn't been updated yet and it's been out for a whole day! :argh:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

A cool game mode or campaign I would like to see is expeditions. Put the core systems closer together, increase fuel costs and use in hyperspace and put a bunch of super dangerous regions in the distant areas that you can explore. Bunch of hostile factions and no way to resupply without combat would make for some cool gameplay. Add some unique trade goods or good mineral sources to fill your expeditions freighters, set up colonies or conquer aliens and it becomes lucrative.

Can't wait for mods to update and play with the trade system.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

ErKeL posted:

I'd like to see this played out for all the factions honestly.

So you do a little bit of black market dealing somewhere but the odd port out in the sticks isn't going to know or even care about that.
You massacre a fleet defending a homeworld however and everyone of that faction will know your name.

Local reputation should definitely be a thing. Maybe even make communication between systems a word of mouth thing where trade fleets and patrols being real news but smugglers just bring rumors. Add some tiers where you taking down a notorious pirate in one system will get around most factions where he committed piracy but not so much elsewhere. Basically do a check against your reputation every time you pass a fleet and dock somewhere for local reactions.

Smuggling wouldn't put you on anyone's radar unless you do it on a grand scale or get caught.

Edit: Hell pirate reputation should be entirely based on the captains in question. When characters become a thing make each pirate fleet led by a guy that earns reputation and xp and progresses. If you mess with his splinter fleets he'll hate you and if you dock at the same place you might have trouble but overall pirate docks don't give any fucks who you are unless you did something else. Maybe add a pirate leadership thing where each dock has a number of local captains that exert influence to help this along. Basically turn pirates into a personality based faction with no command structure.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Oct 23, 2014

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'd like boarding pods to be a thing in combat. Make it a missile or drone/fighter thing that's launched from a ship but they pop on shields so you better fire them when they are venting or disabled. Marines will attempt to gently caress up engines and weapons and generally cause critical failures (permanently disable modules during combat). If you saturate a single ship during combat it will eventually become disabled and start drifting and be a good pick after combat.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

There's a lot of balance issues that the game could do with taking a look at. First of all the dev really needs to rework the skill tree or scrap it entirely. I think a good way to go about it would be to rework it along with the introduction of characters and officers, perhaps introduce several skill tree's that go along with different character classes and work from there. The player character should, ideally, focus on leadership skills and delegate work to other characters. Some would be industry focused and lead civilian fleets that either trade, mine or build. Other's would lead squads in your main fleet and form groups you can order about. Say you have a frigate fleet with one or two destroyers, toss a character into one a durable destroyer and give him three frigates for a wolf pack and see what he can do from a flank attack while you maneuver another group at a different part of the map. Ships shouldn't be deployed single but in groups that gain veterancy together, kind of like how army traditions work in Rome 2.

I also really don't like the way fleets work at all. You just bump into each other and engage from there, I would like it there was some way to avoid running headlong into an enemy fleet, perhaps by introducing a mechanic where you have to be on top of the fleet for a few seconds to intercept so you actually have to be faster than the fleet to catch it, not just touch edges. This way you could create fast attack fleets that can't easily be run down and would be especially thematic for smuggling, but it would probably work best for AI fleets since its so easy for a player to abuse it. But theoretically you could create fast trade fleets from shuttles that can't move a lot of cargo but also won't be caught out by larger pirate fleets.

Another thing I'd like is that when the AI fleets do battle they actually take a while, perhaps a day or two to resolve. This way you don't see two massive fleets engage each other and instantly pop.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Been looking at the Templar faction mod and it's just really, really dumb. They have everything, passive shields, huge mobility from their actives, massive aoe's that poo poo on fighters and huge flux capacities that let them spam all their weapons and never worry. I mean how is that faction even remotely balanced for fun? What are their weaknesses?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm having an odd issue with Starsector+. I'm running the latest version of the game with the latest version of the mod but when it finishes loading it crashes with a fatal:null exception. Any workarounds? This happens with just Starsector+ and no other mods enabled.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Bhodi posted:

Are you SURE it's the latest? Running Starsector RC2 not RC1? (version number is the same)

Also, make sure you don't have any old saved games, they'll make it crash as well

I derped, I didn't have Shaderlib installed :downs:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So what is the next thing that will be worked on now that most of the base features are done? Industry? I hope it's industry.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Independents should be broken into entities or tiny factions. There should be no such thing as a neutral mercenary fleet, it should have a name associated with a mercenary band or a leader. Ditto for trade fleets, they should be owned by merchants you can interact with and bribe/hire to perform tasks.

Each independent station or planet should also be it's own entity in this manner. Neutrals could then fluctuate and be loosely aligned but a desperate merchant may become smuggler if he loses a lot of money and eventually align with a pirate lord who gave him a loan.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Nice. I was getting bored. I've been slowly grinding my rep with tri-tach up but it's such an insanely slow slog and their antimatter guns are at cooperative :(

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So I installed Exerelin and the supported mods but when I enter combat the screen is black and the UI sorta bleeds into the screen. I enabled GPU acceleration for it and now I at least get the background stars and poo poo but the UI still bleeds into the screen and I can't see any ships. I have shaderlib and lazylib installed, although version checker pops an error about wrong installation. Any tips?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Got Nex working and it's a ton of fun. Maybe it's it's because I just came off a game where I was level 30 and had 10 combat 7 tech but vanilla ships handle like utter junk. I engaged a dark spire fleet that was fighting a neutral faction and, well :stare:

Any tips for the mod? I wen for Corvus mode fast start and tri-tach. Is there an easier starting faction?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Jinx posted:

The only reason to save scum right now is that most decent ships are very difficult to replace until you get good rep with a faction (welcoming+). Finding another sunder for sale, on the black market, that isn't a D is a huge pain in the rear end right now. Also, the enemy AI seems to be better at co-ordinating fleets than your friendly AI, and having only 3 command points in the beginning is really crappy (also it's not worth raising green skills right now because they are all really crap compared to tech and combat skills).

While writing this post I also began to realise how amazing this game would be in multiplayer. Ugh...I'll be in my bunk.

Game could really use a total overhaul of the skill tree. I think a branching tree like a an old style mmo talent tree with one point per skill would be stellar. Pumping 5 or 10 points into a skill isn't particularly interesting and percentage bonuses mess with balance something fierce.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Tying skills into your personal, your officers and physical assets would be a cool way to handle it. Your personal skills can govern accuracy and general performance. They can also influence your leadership in certain ways but those points are limited by the officers in your fleet and not your levels. Unassigned officers can give logistical bonuses to your fleet and certain officers specialize in these fields. You no longer improve them manually but rather they progress in their fields.

Industrial points work the same way but can be improved by physical assets. If you have an outpost with a fuel refinery your fleets burn less. If you have a lot of bugs or even own a comm relay or two this improves command points and your outposts trade more efficiently. Officers can also be assigned but medium and large outposts would generate what they require, though you can find and recruit especially skilled individuals.

A good way to gate advanced tech could be officers and personal skills. Without perfect skills energy weapons and phase frigates are prone to malfunction. For large parts of the game low tech ballistic weapons and older model ships win out by sheer reliability.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The sunder is easily one of the best early destroyers. Use two or three pulse lasers on it, stabilised shields and optics and go to town. It's amazing in player hands and competent with a steady officer. It also does really well with gravity beams and stabilised turret gyros. With some range my upgrades any frigate that comes near is dead. It's point defence, but for frigates.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

What's up with the tempest lately? I haven't seen any at all in the new update :( it's far and away a better wolf.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So I spent the better part of 3 hours downloading the latest mods for SS+, getting a crash and loading it up again with new mods enabled and eventually narrowing it down to SS+ causing the crash. I updated every mod to the correct version, I didn't update the game itself :downs:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Blackray Jack posted:

Which mods did you download exactly out of curiosity?

Also, can anyone explain why the prices of supplies are spiking to insane prices? They used to be 30-50 per, and now I'm seeing them at around 90 per. This tri-tach station I'm on cooperative terms with has supplies for 112 credits per. This is getting insane.

All the currently compatible mods for SS+. I also had to install twiglib to get it working. Starting out is rather tough though, the wolf you get has two (!) energy slots and gets a plasma blaster but it's pretty dang dangerous to use and pirate fleets have a ton of ships i don't even know. I've never really played anything but vanilla. I quite like the sniper cannon some hounds get though.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Wallet posted:

Guess it must be a fairly low chance then. Is there any way to increase it?

Construction rigs and certain other civilian craft will increase the chance for recovering your own ships intact after combat, not sure if it works on enemies too.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'd like surveying to be decoupled from the skill system and instead be based on hiring teams to do it for you that you drop off. Same with a lot of the industry stuff. Keep the skill tree for combat related stuff.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

MesoTroniK posted:

Just released a minor THI update with a couple of bugfixes, balance / polish and added a new weapon. Should be save compatible and don't forget to update your other mods as well as many have updated recently and two more are also likely to update very soon.

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=9583.msg197003#msg197003

The barrels moving independently is extremely my poo poo even if its something I would never notice in game.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

When he finally releases on Steam he's going to become a millionaire overnight. I'm really looking forward to workshop integration too, manually downloading mods is so 2012.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

FooF posted:

When the patch notes hit back in December I thought a March release was a on the high-end of the wait. The Dev missed a golden opportunity to troll the SS community by releasing some April Fool's patch.

No please. Dwarf Fortress already had an April 1st and now Rick and Morty too. My heart can't take more like that :negative:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Fewd posted:

Already?

I hope he's not rushing out this rc :ohdear:

Yeah he should take all the time he needs. If I have to wait until 2024 for a good product then I'll do it happily.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Loopoo posted:

Don't burn yourself out! The new patch is just around the corner and it turns it into a brand new experience.

Any year now!

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The problem that trade has in this game is the same on Sunless Sea had. The player identifies a route and runs it continously forever for a 500 credit profit until he reaches an arbitrary point (like a bigger ship) and that's basically his new game point.

That's why Star Sector makes trade lucrative only on specific circumstances like shortages and blockades. The game wants trade to be an opportunity that sticks it's had out every now and then while you fight battles.

Now is that a good or a bad thing? I have no opinion on that since I've never used that part of the game apart from the odd organ run.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Loopoo posted:

Can someone more experienced give a general guideline to how expensive ships can get? I'm seeing an awful lot of posts claiming to make millions off of surveys / AI cores. Does having that much money make the game a breeze, or are there ships out there expensive enough to make having 1,000,000 in the bank chump change?

It really depends what you're flying, supplies will always be expensive so the bigger your fleet the higher your running costs. Upfront cost for ships can vary greatly, Hegemony ships are relatively low tech and cheap while Tri-Tachyon ships are super expensive and super dangerous in the right hands.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Had a chance to mess around with 0.8 finally and it's really drat good. I went with a wolf and made a bit of money doing short runs to scan derelicts. Now I have a sizeable force of ships consisting of a pair of mules with survey equipment and a salvage rig, plus a fast carrier and Medusa. The Medusa is a bit superflous since carriers are OP and it takes out most remnants on its own but I'm having a great time surveying and going on long deep space runs. My goal right now is to find some good ships I can restore and build a wolf-pack to start hunting pirates with, most of my points are sadly in support tree's and not a lot of combat.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Where do I find a Tempest? I've gone through a bunch of outer rim systems and gone through a bunch of core systems too and I haven't found a single salvageable wreck.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Telsa Cola posted:

What is so good about a tempest anyway? I found one and recovered it because its info card said it was rare but I have yet to see it shine, especially since my swarm of like 5 spark fighter groups just shreds everything.

The Tempest is a frighteningly fast frigate with good firepower, it's a Wolf with two medium energy slots and a firing arc that favors quick strafing runs. In the hands of a good player it can solo most destroyers.

TheWetFish posted:

Luck favours the prepared. Look for fleets that have a Tempest in it, that is not (yet) a wreck

But Tri-Tach pay so well for those AI cores :(

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

THE BAR posted:

Have I screwed myself over by blowing up probes instead of salvaging them? I didn't have enough manpower for it - do they respawn?

They occasionally drop AI cores and a few more supplies if you salvage. I think probes mainly exist to guide you to better things like survey ships and research stations which you should absolutely salvage properly.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Soup du Journey posted:

Yeah that was pretty much my M.O. last year with Nexerelin and SS+. Taking commissions with some of the more exotic factions was a nice change of pace, but even flying vanilla fleets was fun in that Imperial Guard sort of way, where it was just my dudes in a bunch of clunkers facing off against crazy gundams and biomechanical ships and Tri-Tach on steroids.

I suspect that when 1.0 hits I might put together a more conservative mod lineup, since the base lore is pretty solid, and once there's more to do in the world, I don't think I'll want to undermine the experience.

I'd like to be able to influence the planets more. Sindria has the largest market but if I supply enough materials to a planet and police it's trade routes I'd like stability and thr economy to improve by loads. Incidentally i hope to build my own empire in the fringes on the back of the former Dominion.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I started a new game and put a bunch of points into combat, something I'm really regretting now. The support skills are just so drat good because they give you sensors range, movement bonuses, reduces supply use and you can salvage and survey most anything for big megabucks. Combat lets my one ship fight better which is cool, but I never fly anything bigger than a frigate so the bonuses are actually marginal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

There may not be ports of fuel dumps wayyy out in uninabited space, but it's full of weak rear end idiot robots who you can beat up and be drowning in fuel and supplies. Systems with gas stations like these have little beacons telling you "come on in to supply and rebuild for free!"

When outposts and industry gets implemented I want to restore fuel processing plants in the frontier so I always have a place to restock while spelunking. The new map is quite big but I'm eventually going to run out of places to go and things to do.