Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Anticheese posted:

I disagree with the OP about boarding, though. There's something pretty great about assembling a fleet out of your conquests without paying a cent. Is there a way to more reliably make ships open for boarding?

It is great, and i really did like doing that in previous versions. Sadly, the answer to your question is 'no', which is why boarding is dead in v0.6.0. You can't aim for what you want, and if by some miracle you actually disable a ship you can use, nine times out of ten it'll just blow itself up and take your ships with it. Add in the part where marines eat through your supplies like locusts and everything is available from stores, and there's just no reason to even bother except masochism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
So, i'm trying out an LOTSA MODS combo - Shadowyards, Kadur, and Gedune.

Thoughts -

Gedune - Ships are fast, individually not amazing, but god help you if they flank you (hint: they will flank you). Spam cannon is my new go-to for Wolves med slot, but the rest of their weapons aren't incredible. Their shipyards aren't restocking for some reason, but i got two of their freighters and the fact that they start at burn-5 is very nice.

Kadur - haven't had a chance to try out their hulls yet, but their weapons are charmingly overpowered. A double-shot railgun with the same range and 60% more DPS than the HV cannon for 1 Ord Point less? Sure. Add the three new flavors of BVR railgun for the ballistic large mounts, and the AI in simulation just doesn't understand how not to die anymore.

Shadowyards - The weapons aren't amazing. I mean, the Twin CEPC is a lark, sure, and i'll stick it on because it looks prettier with the SHI color scheme than Yet Another Spam Cannon, but it's not great or anything. The hulls, though? Overpowered as heck; fast, great slot combos, and except for the weird fixation on phase cloaks, amazing hull abilities. I tried the one tagged as a Heavy Cruiser (forgot the name) in the sim and soloed an Onslaught. (also soloed a Conquest without taking hull damage)

Torpedos - I'm not sure which mod put them in, but there are like 5 new torps. Best of them is probably the Scythe Reaper, which trades 1k of the Reaper's 4000 damage for moving about 20 times faster.

Grievances -

This one is with Starfarer as a whole since the latest version, but nobody ever fights me anymore. I'm actually having a problem with SF i've never had before - i'm bored. Sure, i can gank a half-dozen pirate buffalos for $200,000 in supplies, but... why would i? All i'll have to do in those battles is five minutes of staring at my own ship as i feebly thrust after them, followed by two seconds of loving up their engines, rinse, repeat. I'm running around with a few destroyers and light cruisers, but nothing smaller than a battleship will actually oppose me instead of nope-ing right the gently caress out at the first sign of danger.

(And this is worse with the Gedune wolfpacks and Kadur rebel faction, who can run off the map before even frigates on deploy left/right can catch up with them)

Ceebees fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 23, 2013

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

Protagorean posted:

The Gedune Tenzen-class cruiser is rad as hell and I won't hear otherwise.

I haven't had as much experience with Gedune ships, to confess - i was basing my evaluation on the ones that show up in sim.

On my end, i was focusing on SHI because they're more widely available, and on the receiving side, i've never actually fought a Gedune fleet. I either engage a wolfpack and their frigates escape before i even see them, engage a convoy and run down some Mozoxes(?), or get engaged by a warfleet and then there's just several minutes of screaming and green lightning and bees.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

AlphaDog posted:

I keep seeing this issue come up, and I'm not sure if I understand it right. Are you complaining that fleets you will easily beat are running away from you, and only fleets that might win will fight? Because there are ways around that - you need to use tugs, you need to deploy frigates, and then you need to harry reserves and pursue retreated ships, and you need to have the combat readiness to do so. It's much harder than "buy 3 battleships and just roll everything" from the last version, but it's a bit less silly.

Internet Explorer had it basically right - i'm complaining about the battle map, not the strategic map. I have tugs, i have frigates, and i engage in the win-harry-engage cycle with plunder fleets. My issue isn't that fleets that can't beat me try to escape, it's that once you have more than three frigates, the AI will only ever engage you if it's 100% certain of victory, and shooting people that're running away in the back gets old.

Blacktoll posted:

I don't think there isn't anything wrong with the A.I. running the gently caress away from a superior fleet if that is what it is encountering. In fact, I offer up this: Why not bring a wolf pack with your huge gently caress-off ships? That way if they run you can sick your wolf pack on them for an easy kill.

The problem with the wolf pack is that A - half the frigates are still fast enough to escape completely, even with side deployment, and B - if you're not one of the wolves, then you're sitting there in the HSS Slowboat trudging up the center of the field, and the most interesting thing you can do in the next five minutes is occasionally turn your shields on to block a Pilum salvo.

So, basically, my complaint is that it feels like taking a big ship has become un-fun and pointless. Nobody that you can beat is ever going to fight you anyway once you have 5 frigates, so all a bigger ship does is chase them slower.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

The Good Professor posted:

Or specific descriptions of what is overpowered about them/which ones are overpowered? I was trying for long-reload alpha strike/ranged support weapons and aiming for balance parity with vanilla, so if you think they're horribly out of equilibrium I'd like to know why.

Double the DPS, 20% more range, effectively 50% more ammo - tradeoffs are 50% more flux and accuracy is only pinpoint instead of laser-sharp... all for 1 OrdPoint cheaper.

I mean, i love the twinned railguns, but they most definitely are not at parity with vanilla.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

Nektu posted:

Edit "starsector-core\starsector.bat" and increase the following numbers:

code:
-Xms1024m -Xmx1024m
If a gigabyte is not enough, increase it more...

I like how many core files are still named "Starfarer.whatever"

Shame about the problem, Professor, i hope someone helps you correct it. Kadur's been good fun, i'd love to be able to reactivate it.

Edit: Okay, i finally got around to really trying out Blackrock after my first try fell into the save bloat bug.

I think i might be in love.

2 Sunjets and a Starfury on a Mantis-class frigate, with ITU extended range and a 250-degree shield with ~1 flux/damage. It's just... elegant in how lethal it is. It can be countered - i had a hell of a time with a stock SHI Morningstar - but just the chorus of "FREEEEEM" when it comes into range makes me smile.

Ceebees fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Oct 8, 2013

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

Having 3 PDE based weapons and 3 shredders (HE + frag dmg, most of which is bursty soft flux damage) makes you pretty useless at cracking strong shields like the ones found on SHI ships. That isn't strange at all. Equip some volley guns if you want to crack shields.

That loadout would eat hounds and buffaloes ALIVE though.

I usually use the really low flux/hit taken, excellent maneuverability and Blackrock vent core to tempt the AI into driving it's own flux up, and then tap on them to force their shields down. I never really got volley guns (or SHI's scatter CEPC), point-blank burst damage that dissipates outside of sneezing range doesn't really appeal to me.

Also, i think you might have gone over-grimdark on the Karkinos description...

Ceebees fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 9, 2013

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

Aaaand now my blackrock/SHI/Gedune save is dead as well. :suicide:

Is there a concise guide on how to cheat in hundreds of thousands of credits, dozens of levels, and a medium-sized armada of BRS ships about? I seriously can't be hosed to skin all those buffalos again.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

Thank you very much.

Although, prefacing every ship's id except the Nevermore with 'brdy_' wasn't exactly helpful, Shaolin Fuckfiend.
(Guess which ship i spawned first, then spent ten minutes trying to figure out why absolutely nothing else worked)

And i belatedly realized that the Mantis variant i posted above is 90% identical to the Elite variant you include. Terrible, laser-loving minds think alike, i suppose.
-e: I also managed to remake the Close-Support Desdinova. Spooky.

Ceebees fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Oct 9, 2013

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

As of the patch I dropped last week, every ship should be prefaced with brdy_ now, the Nevermore included. Are you talking compared to how you used to have to write it?

Also, the easiest way to scum the game is to find settings.json in the core Starsector folder, set devmode to =true and then you can click L and K in the campaign to give yourself credits and XP.

I have BRDY .42, which seems to be the newest version?

Here's a picture of the blackrock/data/variants folder, but basically, most of them are prefaced, but the Desdinova, Gonodactylus, Nevermore, and Scarab aren't.

Also, i laughed at finding the BRS Rajaniemi and BRS Sobornost for sale in Gneiss. Nice touch.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

What did symmetry ever do to you?

I kid, it looks awesome.

Anyway, there's another dev blog post up on intended tweaks to CR, which are interesting and all but worry me slightly. They feel like they're balanced against 100% CR being the maximum, but unless i'm missing something, i don't see how to raise it past 80% with a full elite crew, which means things will start falling into 'critical malfunctions' territory a fifth sooner than balanced for.

Since i don't Official Forums, is this a point that's been raised over there, or is there just a (+2% CR per level) skill that i've completely overlooked that obviates my concern?

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

Exodee posted:

The Brawler is probably my favorite frigate for this reason. They're slow, but their medium ballistic slots allows you to equip them with long range weapons to keep them out of harm's way. As well, their ammo feeder and excellent flux stats (better than the Hyperion's!) makes them more akin to mini-destroyers in terms of firepower.

I agree with describing the Brawler as a 'mini-destroyer' - though, perhaps more accurately, i could also describe the Hammerhead as an overweight, overpriced Brawler.

And my preferred fit is boosted engines + twin assault cannons + reaper torpedoes for that one-two punch.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

Shard Cannons and Twin Shard Cannons are my go-to weapons for when i want a Blackrock ship to fill the sky with fire and hate. Good damage, good damage type, good rate of fire, good accuracy, good looking. (not so great flux generation, but just keep them on blackrock ships!)

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

Bell_ posted:

I still have issues reloading saves sometimes and there's a bit of stuttering when after loading save files multiple times in a single session, but reloading the game solves it. The biggest thing to do in advance of issues is following the instructions to link the game to a 64-bit Java install and upping the memory resources in that config file.

I fiddled with the config file's memory limits and i have a 64-bit jre, but given your comment, i don't think Starfarer knows to use it and a quickish search of their forums didn't turn up how to make that happen. Might you point me in the right direction?

Edit: VVV I searched for those exact terms :v:, nice job search function
Thanks, though.

Ceebees fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Nov 9, 2013

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

lunatikfringe posted:

Is there anything special about energy weapons with charges? Or are they simply energy weapons with limited ammo?

How does the point defense hullmod work exactly? I was under the impression setting PD weapon groups to autofire did the same thing? Clearly I am missing something here.

there's two sorts of 'energy' weapons with charges - things like the Antimatter Blaster do have limited ammo per battle. However, most energy weapons with charges are burst weapons, rapidly depleting a steadily refilling pool.

By default, only weapons with the 'Point Defence' tag will fire on incoming missiles. However, missiles are objects - running into manually fired bullets will still destroy them. The Integrated PD hullmod serves to effectively grant all small weapons the PD tag, enabling them to attack missiles when on autofire without your guidance

I also really like the graviton beam / AM Blaster fit - yeah, the grav beams are useless against armor, but they produce so little flux i actually just set them to autofire most of the time. After all, the function of everything else on the ship is just to gain the ability to put antimatter into an unshielded section of hull, so higher DPS beams are of marginal utility!

Also, i actually prefer normal PD beams on the strike Medusa, it keeps them from wasting flux and time-on-missile firing on ships that drift into LRPD's extended range.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

Okay, this hardo Hadron gun sounds fun. Which mod is it from?

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

So, just as a first impression, the Mayorate mod is kind of neat. All their ships focus on forward fire arcs, powerful beam weapons, and missiles - small ships go for speed and (over)powerful integrated weapons, capitals are slow as rocks but made of gun. Decent sprites with a consistent visual theme, and a bit of a sense of humor to the descriptions: the freighters were designed 'in response to rumors of a coming revolution in galactic trade', and the moon of their planet is a nice little reference.

-2 points for misusing the idea of a medieval mayor, though.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

So i realize i'm late to the party here, but in separate incidents i found a BRDY Asura and a total of four Rhon lasers in the various black markets around the sector.

And then i put the Rhon lasers on the Asura.

And then the combined air wing of four CVEs (2 sargasso / 2 condor) died like moths before a flamethrower. :stonklol:

Semi-relatedly, is it just me or is it a huge pain to actually get new toys from the birdies? Gneiss's pirates have the life expectancy of snowballs on Venus and a spawn rate to match, and Moria is A - so big you'll probably starve to death between jump points and B - home to the mutually oppposed TriTach - Hegemony - BRDY triangle, where legally buying or selling so much as a single crate of supplies to one of them lodges a -10 relations hit from both of the other two firmly in your rear end. It's only been actually possible for me to equip said Asura from Hegemony and T-T stations' confiscated supplies.

VVVV I guess that is true. It's only annoying if you want to stay in good with all three... like i'm trying to.

Ceebees fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 25, 2015

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

McGiggins posted:

So is your ship destruction during boarding based on hull, or is it armour/shields/complicated math of the 3?

Experimentally, i'm pretty sure that armor does have an effect. I got sick of losing my entire compliment of pricey marines every time ship go boom, so i started compartmentalizing them into 2-3 Hermes/Mercury/Tundra shuttles (with expanded crew compartments as my ambitions grew). I added Heavy Armor mods when i had the OP, and the dinky little assault shuttles started reliably surviving the self-destruct of frigates and light destroyers.

In other news, i reached the level 10 command skill that makes your ship look so good that your victims dare not blow themselves up (i mean, i appreciate the skill but it makes no drat sense) and it seems to apply to Templars in combat, maybe? I've certainly had a lot more luck than i expected preying on their depleted fleets, managed to grab a Martyr, two Jesuits, and a Crusader. Really wish i could get more Martyrs, those things with two Rhon lasers, advanced optics, and augmented engines are quite the little terrors.

Although, i did notice that when i blasted some Luddites in the Mayorate system while it was being Crusade-ed, my rep with the Templars increased due to 'participation in the holy crusade'. Is it actually possible to weasel your way into their good graces and just buy all their amazing poo poo, or will Antioch never let you dock, or never sell to you?

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

So, i know it's not exactly useful feedback or recommendation given that everyone already has it, but given who made the thread i just want to take a second to gush about the Templar faction mod now that i finally tried it. It looks gorgeous, everything sounds amazing, they're Good Fights to go up against, and they provide a glorious Luftrauser-ish murder sprint through countless enemies once you finally tear their precious tech from them.

A++ mod, would lose a week of my life to again.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

Once you get the rank 10 skill that cuts the rate of spite-based self immolation in half, you get a fairly reasonable trickle of boarding opportunities. Good loving luck until you get there and pour four levels of points into it, though.

What i'd like to see is you actually being able to turn up more than one boarding opportunity per battle - it being either one or nothing seems sort of pathetic when i just disabled 20-30 ships at a go.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

Ah, that explains it, i was using 2.7.2.

2.7.5 was when multiple boarding was added. Welp, that would have made my dozen-ship templar fleet a lot less trying to assemble.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

McGiggins posted:

I put a pair of Reaper singles on my Wolf, as well as an ion cannon, and suddenly I go from desperate rearguard to opportunistically turning, flipping, and then beating the enemy to death with a metaphorical table.

I just wish it wasn't almost impossible to get Clarents. They're better than reapers in every way it seems, but I simply can't kill Templars (because they have clarents and a host of other weird op as hell poo poo), and I sure as poo poo ain't buddying up to them.

Seems my most effective option will be to try and take down a Templar fleet late game with an Onslaught fleet, but that seems a little lame.

It might be SS+, but in my game, diligently scouring faction and black markets would on rare occasion turn up small-mount Templar weapon for sale. Also, bringing an Onslaught fleet to throw down with a Crusade (also maybe SS+) isn't lame - its the minimum you're going to want to take on a Paladin.

Though, in fairness, I stole my first one by being willing to burn eight cruisers and a score of Morningstars for one of them.

vvv I meant the Crusade event where they decend en masse on some hapless system, not the Crusader frigate.

Ceebees fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Aug 13, 2015

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

Friendly Tumour posted:

So how exactly do I install all these mods?

Find the folder you installed Starfarer/sector to.

Download mods, unzip them, dump resultant folders in the mods folder highlighted above.

Launch SF/S and open the mod control thing

Activate the mods you want to happen. Lazylib and Shaderlib will be required for 95% of other mods to work

Experience space.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

Friendly Tumour posted:

So anyway, is there any easy way to generate supplies or fuel? Or do you just have to buy them at ports?

You can either buy them from ports, or loot them from the shattered husks of your enemies. No way to generate them. Of course, both supplies and fuel are subject to price changes like every other commodity, meaning you can search out a good price and buy low (or find a supertanker/superfreighter to kill and pillage), and then either sell high somewhere else or stash them for use later.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

Amusingly, this was reflected in a change to the weapon's codex entry, talking about how the beam should have infinite range but these seem to have limiters installed so you don't accidentally sterilize a planet a galaxy over.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

Avocados posted:

How do I get started with this game? The only thing I can do is hunt pirate units with 1-2 ships. Are there any fetch quests or missions I can do for a faction? Every fleet I try talking to doesn't have much to say or offer.

First, probably try some of the easy scenario missions to get used to ship controls and how the weapons act. The primary advantage you'll have over the AI to even the odds is your ship and shield handling. After that getting started in campaign can be a bit rough, yeah. As with Mount & Blade, you need to pick on targets weaker than you to make a few bucks so you can start recruiting friends. On the system map, the size of a triangle marks how big that fleet is, so try to either run down single-ship packets of your chosen antagonist faction, or tail a big faction fleet and wait for them to get into a fight with someone so you can pick off the few, weakened survivors. Once they're dead, gorge your cargoholds with loot and waddle back to the nearest station to sell it off.

Or i guess you could try to take advantage of boring trade price fluctuations or something.

Once you've got a few bucks in the bank, buy another ship, fill it with crew and cover it with guns, and repeat. Snowball into a lean, mean, mercenary machine.

Oh, and since Corvus was the first star in the game, it's where the free storage depot is. Makes a decent home base to stash ships, guns, and gas you aren't using at the moment but might want later.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

So the patch seems to have reset the vmparams file back to stock, but when i tried to edit it to increase the RAM allocation, SS silently fails to launch. Is this likely because of A - a new version of jre bundled with SS, B - i doubled my amount of RAM since the last time i did this, or C - i am being a moron and forgot how to do it properly?

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

FooF posted:

Yeah, I saw your post about going all psycho on your former allies in order to preserve rep on the official forums. I agree with you: it seems a little too game-y for my tastes. I can understand other factions not wanting you to get too close to their enemies but "friendly" is too low of a threshold. I can get behind only being "cooperative" with one faction and having a very hard time maintaining "welcoming" with more than one faction but it should still be doable.

Also, the investigation mechanic is pretty arbitrary and should only come when you're already entrenched in one faction and they begin to doubt your loyalty. Perhaps the factions are that petty and jealous but it's not terribly fun to play.

My highest faction rep after one afternoon of play is Hegemony at 38, and i started getting investigations from Tri-tach and Luddites. They're both at the low end of 'welcoming', so maybe they also fire if you have two or more tied for the highest rank?

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I've managed to scrape up a half-million credits through procurement in the far north system to fund a wolf pack, and then bounties. My problem now is that nobody is selling anything interesting, anywhere. So far, i've seen one ship for sale more powerful than an Enforcer, one single Medusa on the black market. I have the money to buy things now, but even finding just a heavy blaster requires scouring four systems to get one from the black market, and forget about a Tempest or a non-(D) Sunder or a plasma cannon. I guess the 'you are only ever allowed to have one friend' investigation mechanic and easier boarding might be meant to push you towards raiding everyone except your One Friend for the good poo poo, because there seems to be no other way to get fun toys anymore.

Or possibly my market spawns are just weird. :v:

Also, i still can't change my RAM allocation. The relevant line in vmparams says "-Xms1024m -Xmx1024m -Xss1024k", and altering any of those seems to result in the launcher failing to, well, launch. I'd like to maybe be able to do that again before mods start finishing the adaptation, anyone else have anything similar?

Ceebees fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Nov 22, 2015

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

AParadox posted:

You also have to change the jre folder for a 64 bit version.

This was it, sigh. I checked the version and everything, but somehow i forgot to consider that just because Alex upgraded to java 8 in the package doesn't mean it's the right kind of java 8.

Ceebees fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Nov 22, 2015

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

most of the issues aren't that there's nothing interesting to buy, but that there's not really that much variety in the base game, actually.

It can be both. I'm pretty sure it's both.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

Glass Hand posted:

Saw the beaglerush video of this, plopped down the 15 bucks, and I'm pretty pleased so far. I'm playing a smuggler (on normal mode, because gently caress learning curves) and managed to parlay my initial pile o' drugs into 40k through advantageous black market heavy machinery trading.

What's a decent combat freighter type ship for a solo or small-fleet smuggler? It seems like the Cerberus is basically a straight upgrade over my current Hound, and readily affordable at 14k or so, but is there some better option out there I should be saving my money for?

I'm only 4 hours in or so and haven't checked out any mods yet.

Hounds and Cerberii are generally where you start for moving a bit of loot, yeah. From there, the Mule is a light cruiser sized combat freighter that can hold its own in a pinch if you want to move a lot of stuff in one hull, but unless you're going to pay for a tug to keep your burn speed up, more Cerberuseses are probably a better bet. Although, if you can find a Buffalo II for the comedy option, you could certainly give it a try. The other cargo ships (mudskipper, tarsus, buffalo I) are all purely civilian, probably not what you're looking for.

And the mods are still busy updating, Beagle's video came out alongside a major update.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

New complaint: i understand effort/reward balancing, but is it absolutely necessary for every single bounty to spawn on the exact opposite side of the sector from where i am at the moment? I went out bounty hunting and basically got dragged in a loop between Aztlan and Penelope's Star back and forth and back again. I guess it would be too much to ask for anyone ever to be all 'Oh thank space-jesus you're here, there's a pirate terrorizing us! Go shoot him!'

I can feel a minimum distance variable at work in the bounty spawn system, and i dispute that it should exist at all. But if it must exist, i argue that it's turned up way too goddamn high.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

So how long is it going to be before Interstellar Imperium has more ship hulls than vanilla?

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

Glass Hand posted:

Also, how am I supposed to use/equip the Shade? I found one at that one Independent planet with a military base, and I'm not really sure what the best thing to do with it is. I put two antimatter blasters on the hardpoints, three ion cannons on the turrets set on autofire, and managed to solo a Hammerhead in simulation, but I get the feeling it's the kind of ship that's not really meant for soloing.

My opinion on how to phase frigate is as follows:

As many forward antimatter blasters as you can fire at once without actually overloading yourself.
Some PD or whatever in the slots you have left
Ghost behind enemy and shoot them in their unshielded asses.
Optional but recommended - bring durable distraction chumps to make lining up rear end shots easier.

Joyous edit:

Can't come soon enough.

Ceebees fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 30, 2015

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

Glass Hand posted:

The Wolf is indeed pretty finicky for a starter ship. For ease of use you can't really beat the Lasher's tactic of "get in the enemy's face, press F, and fire all the guns."

Speaking of finicky, that loving Shade. I decided to put one together with two AM blasters on the side turrets, a PD laser on the front turret, and Reapers on the hardpoints. It certainly works, but holy poo poo is there a lot to coordinate at once. In its first scrap with a real, non-simulation enemy, I forgot which weapon I had selected and sent a salvo of four Reaper torpedoes into the side of a defenseless, overloaded pirate Wolf (D). That must have been, briefly, the most terrified ship captain of all time.

Since the autofiring AI consists of "If I can fire gun -> fire the gun", i've found some success with binding the second key for autofire toggle to an unused mouse button (though unfortunately, SS seems unable to recognize mouse buttons above 4). If you assign strike weapons to forward-fixed mounts and make sure to always keep them in the same weapon group (the one you've rebound the autofire on), you can use it as a 'fire secondary weapons' key.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

If you're not actually going to use them in combat, Cerberus (D)'s are a solid light freighter - good cargo bay, cheap, fast, highly available. Of course, the fixpatch making (D) hulls into giant sensor blips will probably make that less attractive.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

Wallet posted:

I'm not sure when to start trying to add bigger ships. Most of them seem like they'll slow my fleet way down, although there are a few destroyers that are fairly fast. Is there a rough number of Frigates people usually shoot for?
They will slow you down a bit, but you can offset this by devoting (a lot) of OP to augmented engines mods. Though, you'll probably need to put the levels into the skill that unlocks them first. As far as number of frigates, not really. Frigates are kind of the live fast die hard early game - when you get tired of replacing your losses and can afford it, start upgrading to destroyers.

Wallet posted:

Is it better to just hire Steady officers, or should I be trying to get a mixture, or?
Any officer will bring skills that significantly improve a ship to the table, so i wouldn't say that it's entirely worth the effort to scour the sector for Steadies and turn down everything else. That said, i would try to avoid cowards and psychopaths.

Wallet posted:

Any suggestions for what affinities/skills to invest in early on?
The one that gets you the augmented engines mod is a big winner, being able to bring your destroyers up to frigate speed (or cruisers up to destroyer speed) is a big boon. Aside from that, you can either bounce around the tech skills that give you more OP to play with, or the weapons skills that improve damage/missiles/armor

Wallet posted:

Also, while my officers seem to be doing a decent job piloting, and I'm enjoying the Wolf quite a bit, I have absolutely no idea how to go about outfitting my ships: A few of them have a bunch of small ballistic mounts, and I'm not really sure what to stick on there. Is there a guide somewhere about outfitting ships or do I just need to keep loving around with it until I get something good?
Use the battle simulator in the refit screen to try out new weapons you find! If you're on a station and you put a weapon onto your ship, the purchase doesn't go through until you confirm it, letting you try all the guns they have out in sims for free. Aside from that - small ballistics pointed forward are attack slots - fill with light assault guns, dual autoannons, etc, and they'll give you a steady DPS on the enemy. Small ballistics that cover your sides or engine arcs are PD mounts, equip light MGs, dual light MGs, or vulcans (or BRDY shredders) as OP allows.

Wallet posted:

Lastly, I see that Starsector+ has updated, and I'm pretty excited to check that out, but I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on what faction mods are worth adding. Most of them look pretty cool, but I'd prefer stuff that is fairly balanced with the core game.

Turns out that was a lot of questions.
SS+ is vanilla expansion, and while i may quibble with the dickship battlecruiser, on the whole it's incredibly well balanced.
InterstellarImperium has pretty well-balanced ships, but on the campaign i've never seen them not invade and dunk the gently caress out of Jangala nine times a galatic year.
BRDY ships are very powerful, but a bit fragile and expensive both to buy and maintain. BRDY flux vents will make vanilla feel a bit weak if you try to go back, though (still worth it)
Shadowyards, i like a lot. Their ships are excellent skirmishers, which is a bit powerful as that's basically the right way to play, but they're far from unbeatable. Athough, sorry MShadowy, but i just don't use any of their weapons except the rare cEPC.
The Mayorate, i like, if Kazi ever gets around to updating
Tiandong, i was out of .65 by the time it launched, so i don't know. Looks great though.

The templar are not balanced. The templar are not supposed to be balanced. They will do to you, what your human advantage over the AI has allowed you to do to the sector all this time. When your victories feel hollow, when you leave battleships shattered in your wake and hunger for something more to test yourself against, add the Templar to your game. Pave your victories in blood and ash, steal fire from the gods, and turn it against them.
(I like the Templar sooo much.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

MShadowy posted:

Alas, alack. Anything you think could be improved upon or is it just an innate lack of appeal?

Mostly, just other options in the same slots that appeal to me more.
Well, i haven't gotten very far in modded 0.7.x yet, but from last version:

Medium cEPCs are solid weapons that i do seek out and use for the Tartarus and Mimir in particular, but you keep revising their damage slightly downward? Base cEPCs are usable, but i usually have IR Pulse or tac lasers that fit my style more, and lights feel just awkward. They're not as effective as beam PD, not as cheap as ballistic PD, and not quite damaging enough for attacking ships. Similar issue with the chaingang. Scattergun, i just don't like spread-shotguns in Starfarer. That one's not your fault.

The Urumi, i skip for the same reason as the Argus - the spread is an interesting idea, but PD with such a low number of charges is just asking to have your defences baited out with an annihilator salvo two seconds before you suck a reaper to the engines. The Trishula is new, but i do like the looks of it.

Deva and Murti CAS are badly outshined by BRDY Sunjets. Take the Murti vs Sunjet - same OP for 120 dps vs 168, both HE, and the yardie beams have that annoying delay between pulling the trigger and the beam actually happening.

The missiles are okay, but i'm just not a steely-eyed missile man at heart. I respect the Tusk in enemy hands, even if personally prefer the Reaper's bigger boom. The blackcap works, but i don't use swarmers anyway. As to the Splinter, i like how the BDRY Quill looks, but checking the stats i probably should be using yours!

The Heavy Polarizer, i have no opinion on. EMP just isn't my style anyway.

Lastly, going from memory and a quick scan of the codex, i don't like using the wavepulse gun but i couldn't really tell you why. Something about it is just hard for me to track, the aim and damage amounts just never seem to quite feel right. I hardly expect you to correct my deficiencies, though - it seems to work perfectly well when used on me.

Well, that post kind of got away from me - I hope my rambling is of some use? I confess to being a solidly 'mid-tier' pilot, so i can't always be sure my complaints aren't just be trying to use certain things outside their niche.I do admit that several of them are just 'feels not quite right', but my big whine is the Deva/Murti - even if they had 5% more damage than the sunjet, i just can't deal with that firing delay. The cEPC line, i think suffers from being too well balanced against vanilla, compared to other modders' willingness to be compensate power with increased OP costs (i'm looking at you, scalaron weapons).

If nothing else, they all look spiffy on yardie hulls, though!

Ceebees fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 7, 2015