Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

Bhodi posted:

tachyon lances kind of suck now

Actually, since the last patch I feel this is no longer true. They have some insane amount of emp damage now, and 2 lances can shut down a battlecruiser completely for 10 sec or more in one salvo. This made soloing a paragon with an onslaught a much less trivial task than it used to be.

Speaking of favorite ships, I am a fan of enforcer/dominator/onslaught line of ships. They are so cheap yet can beat easily almost any other ship in its own class, with only enforcer/medusa and onslaught/paragon matchups being kinda iffy.

You do need to play with dominator and onslaught in a much different way than other capships, as in, never use shields(unless torpedoes, piranha bombers dump, or tachyon lances), let your huge amount of armor tank it and let your enemies overload due to their own sustained fire and a combo of your kinetic weapons and annihilator rockets . Also use burn drive to get into the fight before other capships can, or to get out of sticky situations.

With that said, the AI on dominator and onslaught is kinda bad and will overload itself into uselessness at any given chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012
Is it me or piranha bombers are much worse than they used to be? They seem to start deploying bombs much latter now, doing much less damage in a single run and sometimes just get shotdown by point defense before even firing a shot.

Also, is there any way to get a hold on Astral carrier now? I would love to have one for my fighters horde fleet.

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

THE BAR posted:

I found one for sale in the new system.

Huh, 9 month in game time and still no astral there, just a conquest. I wonder if killing their defense fleets multiple times has to do with this in any way.

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

Talkie Toaster posted:

Inventory turnover's a bit out of whack ATM apparently, 60% of new ships are fighters.

Yeah, the new system seems to favor fighters over everything else, while the tri-tachyon station have a stock of 7 paragons(and no tachyon lances) for some bloody reason.

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

McGiggins posted:

I'm finding that, all of a sudden, the loot and supplies I get from a battle only just barely cover the expenses of fixing up afterwards, and sometimes not even then.

Is there any way to nudge up the amount of supplies I get from a fight? Not but a huge amount, but even 1/3rd as much more would make it a little less tight.

This will be addressed in the next patch, but the is little you can do about the supply bleed that large fleets suffer at the moment. For now all you can do is to only deploy the ships you need for every battle and consider benching ships that have a high CR deployment cost, as CR recovery is where most supplies end up going. Also don't pick up fights with small fleets as its not worth your time.

If you are still playing uomoz then you should remember that only trade fleets carry a significant amount of supplies here, battle fleets will get you a lot of components, maybe some guns and schematics but not much else.

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

^ You'd have to go to the official site and read release blogposts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Dd4uqcGPPg

I dont like how this mission is largely decided by how the enemy admiral AI moves its ships, but its really satisfying when you win it. Also somehow managed to avoid the 30+ harpoons that usually have to be shot down or tanked this time

That mission looked like a lot of fun. Reminds me of the one with Paragon vs ton of stuff, or how my every onslaught run ends up :v:

And holly poo poo, I just noticed that Karkinos jump ability is based on mouse location and not on momentum like most jump powers in the game, that kinda changes everything. No wonder I had so much trouble with it, will have to give it another try then. Maybe will try to figure out Nevermore again also.

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012
In the first years/month of the alpha Tachyon lance had 5000 range , did much more damage and was more flux eficient. This was before phase ships, skill points and other solar systems were a thing.

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012
Has anyone found a phase lance yet? Even xyphos who used to have one hardwired now have a pulse laser instead.

So far I'm loving this patch. The new sensor stuff is great and adds a lot to the game. and I dont even mind the ai e-burn spam since using it yourself at the right time usually gets you out of trouble and the cost of doing so isnt that punishing either. The AI personalities also just feel right, maybe they can add a very rare adaptable persoality type officer, but having each officer having his own piloting style got me to look for optimal builds for each one of them and got me some unique and fun to play fleet combinations.

On the other hand the investigations for bounty collections(and the reputation system in general) is just time wasting BS. The reputation is already building up way too slowly and a negative investigation outcome can mean hours of gameplay thrown down the drain.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

One cool weird trick that Pathers and Pirates HATE: Get a Mercury and put 3 missiles on it, pref. 3 salamanders, or like 2 annihilators and 1 salamander, or even 3 harpoons? (the cosmitz!!!)

A missile-equipped Mercury with some capacitors is an amazing cheap support ship that will be a threat to most D-class ships and its civilian AI naturally keeps it from overextending.

The non-bounty pirates honestly need some buffs, the D ships are so weak and toothless that fighting them becomes a routine. I liked that mods threw in some decent ships in. As for now I always end up antagonizing independents so I can get some real action in between the bounty fights.

edit:
Was just flying by sindrian dictate(they are hostile) main system for a bounty and ended with 7 defense fleets tailing me up unwilling to commit untill another one arrived and they just all jumped on me... 63 combat ships vs 15. This will be fun

AParadox fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 22, 2015

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

Ceebees posted:

Also, i still can't change my RAM allocation. The relevant line in vmparams says "-Xms1024m -Xmx1024m -Xss1024k", and altering any of those seems to result in the launcher failing to, well, launch. I'd like to maybe be able to do that again before mods start finishing the adaptation, anyone else have anything similar?

I set the first 2 params to -Xms6g -Xmx6g, left the last one(stack size) as it is and it works fine.
You also have to change the jre folder for a 64 bit version.

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

Carcer posted:

Can you explain your reasoning? I never used them because trying to hit stuff with them was a nightmare so its no great loss to me, but I suspect other people might want to understand why you did something further than just "yes".

They hit way too hard for the flux they generate, when set on autofire the ai wont miss even against speedy frigates and they have so much emp that a single hull hit can shut down half an onslaught. They may not look as good just of stats but in practice 3 of them 1 shot frigates, overload destroyers and cruisers and cripple cap ships . So unless you have a ship with a ton of op, few slots and very high flux stats(like templars or aurora) or need PD, you can just put them in every posible slot and have an extremely good ship for the player or the ai.

I think they were designed as hit and run weapons but almost nobody can actually punish their low fire rate after getting hit by them as long as you have some backup weapons or missiles.

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

So when ever I play this game I always end up with the ship that's shaped like a ball (medusa maybe?) decked out for speed and with some mid-range super high damage energy weapon. Maybe anti-matter blaster? Or a medium version of that? Does the weapon I'm thinking of still exist or was it nerfed or just really hard to find? It was energy but fired bolts at a low rate of fire and I could only get a dozen or so shots off before flux became an issue. Extremely deadly against armour/hull. I loved playing with it, still trying to get back into that zone.

Probably a medusa equiped with heavy blasters, they hit very hard, shoot once per second and are very flux inefficient.

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012
How do you start plot exactly? I'm already at the late game with 3 colonies and a fleet that can kill unknowns with heavy causalities but I have yet to find anything resembling a main campaign. Is it the red planet quest chain again?

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

Xerxes17 posted:

Do the hotfixes break saves?

It broke mine, game now just crashes every time I find a new warning beacon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012
Actually the update did not break my save, the issue was that I edited settings.json to up the level cap to 30 and since it was overwritten on update so the cap was back to 15, so the moment my lvl 19 character gained any xp the game crashed. Changing the cap back to 30 solved it.