Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Been having a problem lately where my game refuses to load savegames because it says they might have been using different mods, even though the mods are exactly the same (same versions etc). Anyone else experienced this before? It looks to me like the game is running out of memory, which seems utterly absurd since I'm running on Win8 64bit with 8 GB RAM. Here's from the log, an example with SS+, Mayorate, Interstellar Imperium and Shadowyards:

code:
169712 [Thread-5] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Java heap space
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
	at java.lang.AbstractStringBuilder.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.StringBuffer.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.io.path.PathTracker.peekElement(PathTracker.java:131)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.io.path.PathTracker.getPath(PathTracker.java:169)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.ReferenceByXPathUnmarshaller.getCurrentReferenceKey(ReferenceByXPathUnmarshaller.java:41)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.AbstractReferenceUnmarshaller.convert(AbstractReferenceUnmarshaller.java:63)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeUnmarshaller.convertAnother(TreeUnmarshaller.java:66)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeUnmarshaller.convertAnother(TreeUnmarshaller.java:50)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.collections.AbstractCollectionConverter.readItem(AbstractCollectionConverter.java:71)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.collections.CollectionConverter.addCurrentElementToCollection(CollectionConverter.java:79)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.collections.CollectionConverter.populateCollection(CollectionConverter.java:72)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.collections.CollectionConverter.populateCollection(CollectionConverter.java:66)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.collections.CollectionConverter.unmarshal(CollectionConverter.java:61)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeUnmarshaller.convert(TreeUnmarshaller.java:72)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.AbstractReferenceUnmarshaller.convert(AbstractReferenceUnmarshaller.java:65)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeUnmarshaller.convertAnother(TreeUnmarshaller.java:66)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter.unmarshallField(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:355)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter.doUnmarshal(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:306)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter.unmarshal(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:234)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeUnmarshaller.convert(TreeUnmarshaller.java:72)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.AbstractReferenceUnmarshaller.convert(AbstractReferenceUnmarshaller.java:65)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeUnmarshaller.convertAnother(TreeUnmarshaller.java:50)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.collections.AbstractCollectionConverter.readItem(AbstractCollectionConverter.java:71)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.collections.CollectionConverter.addCurrentElementToCollection(CollectionConverter.java:79)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.collections.CollectionConverter.populateCollection(CollectionConverter.java:72)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.collections.CollectionConverter.populateCollection(CollectionConverter.java:66)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.collections.CollectionConverter.unmarshal(CollectionConverter.java:61)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter.unmarshallField(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:355)

OctaMurk fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Thanks for the help guys! I'm using the 64-bit JRE with 2048/2048 in the vmparams now and I can load the saves that weren't loading.

By the way has anybody here used the Galatia music mod? I tried using it but it instantly crashes the game; I looked into the mod files and log and there really wasn't any thing that looked like it would cause the crash.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Brainbread posted:

And them make it right back for trading with said planet!

Haha, hunting down food shortage relief fleets to take all the food and deliver it yourself is the best thing in drat game

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Backov posted:

Sounds good - the problem is I've never seen one (or a Castle) for sale! :)

Also - super freighters with a frigate fleet? So you've got a frigate fleet with 4-5 burn? Eww.

I feel like Rooks and superfreighters would be so much better if we could manage multiple fleets so we can use them like a mobile supply base, is such a feature planned?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Wow Alpha Core sounds awesome though, Im putting it in charge of everywhere

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Just reinstalled this game and went to look for my activation key. Wow, I bought this in 2011 for ten bux and it has come a hell of a long way

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

LegionAreI posted:

It would be nice to have some sort of mechanism to eventually remove decivilized. I have about 20 worlds in that situation right now because of the overabundance of invasions.

Is there really no way to do that in game? Seems like a broken mechanic if decivilized is effectively permanent.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Prav posted:

i made an annoyed sa post after some dude does that nerd gatekeeper thing and a couple of hours later i've got meso posting chatlogs to defend the community's honor and i'm kinda weirded out to be honest

Tbh you sound like the weird nerd rear end in a top hat right now

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
In nexelerin, when do the factions start colonizing ? Do they actually colonize?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

The Good Professor posted:

Well I mean, you can, you just have to issue the orders one at a time.

How do I send fighters to a particular area?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Are auroras still in the game? I havent seen one since I started playing 0.9.1a

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Katsuma posted:

Really? Weird. I also typically run with a ton of mods, and last time I played in 9.1, I got some mad slowdowns until I remembered I hadn't changed the memory allocation in vmparams. I had noticeable improvement when I switched it to 6gb.

Maybe that's just confirmation bias on my part though.

Also happened to me

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Apoplexy posted:

Alright, what's some other mods I should consider. I love this poo poo.

Current list:
GraphicsLib, LazyLib, MagicLib (of course)
Nexerelin, Ship/Weapons Pack, Underworld, Vayra's Sector
Blackrock Drive Yards, Junk Pirates/ASP/PACK, Scy Nation, Shadowyards

Seeker and Tahlan are really good ship packs as well. I find that the other major ship packs (Arsenal, Disassemble Reassemble and Stop Gap) just dont have as good quality.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

It should be noted that all of these suggestions rely at least somewhat on you personally piloting a ship to make plays and murder stuff. The player fleet's greatest advantage is the player.

Also, sometimes the fleets greatest disadvantage

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Broadsword + bomber is a pro combo. Hell broadsword arent half bad on their own.

For general purpose fighters before I get sparks I really like thunders though. The ion cannon and speed let's them disable enemy ships.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

So I am finally making my own colony (modded with nexeralian or w/e) and found a system with two 125% worlds and a 150% gas. A completely new factions stole the other 125% world! Obviously I was not prepared well but what should I be doing now?

Invade and take that which was stolen from you!

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

In the early to mid game, SO hammerheads crush frigates like nothing else

In the late game, there's no substitute for the biggest high tech ship you can find with as many beams as possible for creating a big "no fly zone" for small craft

Is there anything SO hammerheads do not crush?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Also, the yearly update can make major changes to the game, it usually isnt your average patch notes. Honestly the long patching schedule has been good for the community too--if a patch came out every 2 or 3 months and broke all the mods, there wouldn't be such a mod scene and hence community. The mods are can be where you go for some new content in the time between updates.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Has the aurora been removed from the game? I havent seen one in like 100 hours of gameplay

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

FooF posted:

That post was made about 6 weeks ago, so we're 40+ days further in than when he said it. If what he said is true, we're looking at 5-8 months still. It would be a drat shame if there was no update at all this year (though it would be par for the course for 2020). Since Alex isn't sharing a lot, the patch doesn't feel like it has the same scope as the last two (which drastically changed the game), yet it could actually be bigger and we just don't know.

drat, the wait from version .9.9 to 1.0.0 will be like a decade then

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Taerkar posted:

I had to find that old email a couple of weeks ago when I reset my PC.

2011 :smug:

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Falcorum posted:

PSA: If you're just starting a new modded playthrough, remember to disable Dasssault's blade breakers faction. It's not so much that they're a difficult fight (they can be), but that there's absolutely no rewards for fighting them at all.

Is tbis possible now without ditching DME entirely? Last time I asked the modder he said no.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
If you gotta ask how much logistics an astral needs, u cant afford it

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Why would you lie like this

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Otoh, each patch is practically as much content as an expansion pack or standalone sequel in most games

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Over here with a June 2011 key . . . People, I remember when this game didn't even have a system, it only had the missions

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Arrath posted:

Yeah I'm loving the permeant mods. Currently I'm RPing as a merc band that focuses on survivability, so all ships get built in heavy armor. Bring it on, fuckers.

Also SO Lashers make the bread and butter of my fleet.

Got five Tempests with Built-in Safety Overrides right now and running Wolfpack :getin:

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Found an Aurora blueprint for the first time in years, maybe ever w00t

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

cock hero flux posted:

it's kinda hosed up that when you target Population in a raid the resource you get is harvested organs

money's good, though, so I can't complain

Can't really be surprised about atrocities any time you pick the option to Target Population though

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Arrath posted:

I kinda feel the same re: the progression of the random bounties that get offered up. Either it scales too fast or I am building up my fleet at grandpa speeds. There just seems to be a gap between the 50k and 150k bounty tiers where it jumps from, like, 1 Mule and 2 Hounds to 3 Herons and a Drover.

Yeah this is a big problem I think, all of a sudden I go from fighting relatively manageable fleets to like, a bajillion onslaughts. My hegemony contact wanted me to fly halfway across the sector to battle an entire fleet of Remnant Battleships for like 170k and I was like nah brah

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

smooth jazz posted:

Hoping the non-anime portrait mods get updated soon...

I think they still work fine, you can update the version number in the .json manually

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

BULBASAUR posted:

I loose 150-300 crew per major battle, all from downed fighters, but it kinda feels meaningless when I can just dock, load up my fleet full of fresh idiots and send them to the front.

That should be a viable strategy, but it would be interesting in my mind to have mechanic consequences

Well, you can straight up space hundreds of crewmen without consequences either. Thats just the dystopia of the Persean Sector.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

I think the buffs are a little less pronounced but I still haven't bothered to turn it off, it is easy enough to pump stability especially as a couple of industries can now be upgraded with story points to do that, then it's just free growth an accessbility with a side of angry nerds crashing your cool kids party.

E: oh also because I don't think the game actually tells you this anywhere, if you decide to fly your spaceship directly into the sun you can open up a dialog box that will let you spend some fuel and a story point, if you have an alpha core, to create a stable location in your system. The core is not consumed but you need one to do the maths.

This sounds like a "press alt f4 to duplicate your items" type of advice tbh, but im gonna do it

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

ChickenWing posted:

Has anyone tried out Combat Chatter (http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=10399.0) ? Is it fun/immersive or just sorta annoying?

I think its awesome. Semi-useful, lets me know when my ships are in trouble. And makes the universe feel way more alive instead of my officers silently following orders.

Also, you can enable enemy chatter in that mods config settings to make things even a bit livelier too.

It is the only mandatory mod for me, I hope its features are impelemented in the base game eventually

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
On Kazeron or Culann you can reliably get tempests. Fit it with either 2x heavy blasters or 2x pulse lasers, and safety overrides if you like. It does well in the hands of the ai too. Very maneuverable so you can get out of trouble and never overextend

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Kenshin posted:

Tempest with dual phase lances is amazing

Hell Tempest with dual mining blasters is amazing. I love this ship

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

my dad posted:

Learn to love retreating. If for no other reason, to conserve CR. It's *incredibly* expensive to keep your ships in battle once their timer expires.

A safety override Apogee with the "beams do hard flux" mod is ridiculous, by the way.

Also, goddamn, safety override is the perfect mod to build into a hull.

I built SO into my phase ships which might have been a mistake though. Rip peak performance time, I dont even have enough time to shoot all my anti matter blasters

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Psycho Landlord posted:

And then you story point a doom into literal godhood

What mods should i build in to dooms and harbingers

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
I keep getting "Steal ship from the military" bar missions on my own planets. I have now stolen three 50K Auroras from my own military

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

buglord posted:

What’s a good player ship after the Wolf? I’m knocking out pirate orbital space stations now, and have a few colonies.

I really like the wolf and my progression usually goes Wolf -> Tempest -> Harbinger or Fury -> Aurora or Doom.

The Aurora and Tempest in particular are really drat fun with Safety Overrides built in