Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

God drat but I am really really good at diving from halfway across the screen to intercept my own Piranha squadron's bombing runs. I mean I'll just come tearing out of nowhere in my Medusa, teleporting just at the right time, and will take an entire three-ship bombardment right across my own engines when it was aimed at an unshielded, unarmoured bit of enemy cruiser.

That said I am very much enjoying mucking about with Heavy Blasters on a twin-mount on that thing. I'll get like four shots off before I need to vent but if I can get behind something, those four shots are probably enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

forge posted:

Is this game nothing more than shooting some ships to get a bigger ship?

It is nothing less.

Yeah it's basically just shootspaceships at the moment because the faction/trade/running-and-defending-an-outpost bit isn't done yet. This is because the game's in alpha. It's still really fun though.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Well, the enemy do get a head start, so you need to be like 1.5 times as fast as them if you want time to kill 'em.

For pursuit combats, you want frigates and really fast destroyers. Frigates and fighter wings can enter from the side (click them multiple times on the deploy screen), which allows them to snag nav buoys quickly and also to intercept key targets.

And yeah it'll be really tricky to roll around with a massive murderfleet, which is a bit annoying.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Danger Doug posted:

This is a pretty amazing game, but i can already see how there's no real end game atm due to it being in alpha. Is it ok to take a vanilla saved game and install mods without starting anew? That would definitely add a bit of depth for me.

It's pretty trivial to edit a fresh save, which should put you back to where you were previously right away. You can either apply skills directly, or give yourself aptitude/skill points.

You just need to go into your Starsector/Saves/%your_save_here% folder and open up the "campaign" xml file in notepad or something. Search for your character's name, and all the stats are a few lines down from there. It's all really straightforward and obvious what you should be changing - for example:

code:
<level>23</level>
<skillPoints>2</skillPoints>
<aptitudePoints>8</aptitudePoints>
If you want to bump up your credits, just search for your exact credit amount and change that field!

Note that this also lets you edit stuff like your base logistics bonus, if you want to tool around with a huge fleet.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

My favorite build is a Medusa with 5x Burst PD Lasers, 2x Graviton Beam Turrets, and 2x Antimatter Cannons up front.

Same on the Medusa, but I rely on LR PD lasers simply for missile defence/fighter screening, 2 x Heavy Blaster turrets, and 2 x Railguns/Light Needlers for shield cracking. It's a bit more focused on one-on-one ship combat this, because after like three or four blaster salvos I'm at full flux.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Do the LR PD lasers actually do anything? It seems like they don't put out enough damage to actually pop a missile. I had the same flux problems with the heavy blaster turrets, which is why I went with graviton beams and antimatter blasters.

Five of them do. I sort of end up using them as an early-warning system to show me the missile and let me decide what to do, as the medusa's speedy enough to dodge them, hard enough to tank smaller ones, and it can just bring shields up and let the missile impact harmlessly on them. Probably not the best option tactically, but it's fun.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

McGiggins posted:

So i installed the mod mentioned in the OP, and hot drat, that adds a lot. Seems to me that a lot of the functionality it adds should be folded into the core game.

Anyways, I found a Hound blueprint, and I've been mass producing them, seeing as their resource requirements are almost nil.

So far I've lost 30 :v: of them in Hound-fleets, due to me not noticing the presence of a destroyer or other such tough nut.

Still, crazy fun, been doing this for about 15 hours straight now, and I'm of the opinion it was well worth the :10bux: it cost.

Wait what? What mod is this? I played the hell out of starsector for a bit, then left it for a year and recently got back into it. I would like to build ships and catapult thousands of hounds at plunder fleets.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I've definitely got capital schematics from combat against non-capital ships so it may well just be a combo of encounter difficulty and the type of fleet you go up against.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

For people playing Uomoz's Sector on the previous version, are there any ships worth modifying? Most of them just let you change the ship's aggressiveness but surely there must be some that let you change up the ship layout? I mostly tool around in hitech ships, I don't know if it's all lowtech ships that get the most interesting changes or something.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Heavy Blasters at all times.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

The Sunstorm line of weapons are basically insta-hit burst explosive damage, rather than sustained delayed-hit explosive damage (like assault chainguns). If they catch your shields down they pretty much melt you but they don't do much against shields and they fire slowly.

The answer is more frigates.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i haven't got a goddamn clue what i'm watching

what on earth is SWP and why is that station-killing thing less expensive than a Morpheus from blackrock?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

new hullmod - giant pair of sunglasses

e: actually that's just a directional variant of the solar shielding hullmod that already exists

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

The name change was forced by an awards body for exceptional carnival workers

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

gonna hack the exe so that the title page says Scarfwearer

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Unreal_One posted:

Update is out!

To the blog, I mean, not the game.

man why would the persean league be homogenous in its uniforms

it's meant to be a loose confederation, unless i guess if the military of all those worlds is actually the one thing that is standard

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

oh god i didn't see the maint cost increase

8??

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i believe the new version will be released for computer

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

nanoforges that can make fully functional fighter ships with missiles, but cannot make the missiles themselves. drat this space DRM, o how it vexes

that said, i'd trust the maker of the game to appropriately balance the fact that missiles don't reload between engagements now, and in fairness i barely ever deploy the same ship twice in the same fight if i can help it

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

xanif posted:

like in HoI4 when you think it's funny to make the US facist without firing a single shot.

2016 wants its gimmick back

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i didn't deliver like 50 volatiles 12 months ago and now a huge fleet of 8+ apogees and supporting ships has me hemmed in to a system, and is able to chase me down regardless of where i jump out, whether i am transponding, or whether i use a traverse jump to the middle of nowhere

this is Good

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i took the opportunity to upgrade to rc9 and start again, but what you're supposed to do is get shot a lot and lose most of your ships and stuff

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Dreamsicle posted:

How do I salvage research stations? I found an abandoned research station but all I got was this message

if it's a random thing what you find popping up on the map when you get close to it, you fly up to it and click "salvage"

if it's an actual thing on the system map that you can plot a course to from out of system, it is not a lootable research station, it's just a map thing

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Kenshin posted:

New hotfix:

The Nebula salvaging bug has been SO annoying, good to see it get fixed.

phew

That year-long disruption the one time I missed it was brutal.

oh thank gently caress

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

that doesn't really sound fun

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

carriers are good, so yes

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

delta AIs are a thing in the lore, they're basically expert systems - the kite shuttle has one to allow it to land more smoothly

can't loot them though

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Nosre posted:

The colony threat entry just said nearby (or something like that), but someone spawned in the bar at my colony that told me exactly where it was

this works for pirates but the luddic path don't tend to hang out in bars. maybe you have to head to a monastery or something

pather systems tend to have a big batch of Colossi flying around in hyperspace outside them, though

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Flesh Forge posted:

So what you're saying is, there's a number of design decisions to keep trading from being too good.

there were a number of design decisions to prevent Mario Kart from becoming a gritty FPS with chest-high cover and locational damage

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

intel screen -> colony threats -> click the expedition -> press t

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Ceebees posted:

Hell yeah, bitches. Desdinova rides again.

0 series nevermore :q:

actually i mostly tooled around in the original 'more, because you get to be more aggressive with your venting in it

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

why won't ventures ever die

they have about two fuckin' guns but they Just Won't Go Down

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

"sir, they're getting slaughtered, we need to support them-"
"i said HOLD FIRE"

malformed lasher is battered into pristine shape by incoming cannon fire

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i lust for BRDY

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the pirates cobble together murderfleets from sticky-backed plastic and IKEA furniture they find drifting in space

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

on the plus side, betas and gammas are actively detrimental to your profits, so

Wallet posted:

I'm dying to play the update but I don't think I can Starsector without BRDY :(

do it you COWARD

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yeah maybe it's just gammas. i still think you'd get better use out of selling the betas to tri-tach though

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

could be worth sticking them on your mines/population if you don't have a free port open, cut down the need for drugs and organs

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol my save got corrupted; throws a null exception when i try and load it

owned

guess i'll wait for Blackrock to come out and try again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Turin Turambar posted:

Send it to the dev.

it's almost certainly a mod issue due to not being able to load a specific type of weapon; will he be interested in that?