Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Someone throw me a bone here, how do you set the flagship with this new UI? Why is it not a button on the fleet menu? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Unreal_One posted:

The big ol' picture at the bottom left of every ship shows the current captain of the ship. At the moment, you're the only possible captain. Click one of the empty silhouettes, and that will be your new flagship.

Wow. Thank you.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Leif. posted:

Is there some way to store extra ships that you don't want to take out back at a station?

There is an abandoned station in the first solar system that lets you store ships for later.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If I can add to the advice, if you are at the mid-point of your game and you are having trouble with supplies or logistics, don't be afraid to drop off a few ships at the abandoned shipyard. I found going back to a more lean fleet for a bit makes the game much easier.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That is an awesome gif. It also reminds me, the other day I had a ship with a low hp hull. I had just gotten out of a nasty fight and got attacked again. The fight started and the "boost" it does not where it flings you full speed into the map flung me full speed into a large asteroid. Almost killed me instantly. :(

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The complaint is that you constantly have to chase things down on the battle map. Sure, they should run from you on the campaign map. And sure, they probably should run on the battle map. The only problem is that it is incredibly boring to chase down every ship in every battle. Unless it is a perfectly even match or the AI has the advantage, it will run. It's very boring, even with the ability to send in frigates and fighters from the sides.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Blacktoll posted:

I don't think there isn't anything wrong with the A.I. running the gently caress away from a superior fleet if that is what it is encountering. In fact, I offer up this: Why not bring a wolf pack with your huge gently caress-off ships? That way if they run you can sick your wolf pack on them for an easy kill. I think the game's meta is moving away from "This my ship and I use this ship for everything" and into "This is my fleet and I use what is best to be used in this battle".

EDIT: I think the latter idea will become more succinct once officers are in place. That way you can have guys who boost the speed of the ship courtesy of the talent that promotes this under the combat tree, piloting your wolf pack ships.

The largest ship in my fleet is a destroyer, and anything but the huge system defense fleet runs.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

First time playing the game with mods and while they are neat, dealing with the Java issues or whatever else is going on is a pain. Upgraded to the 64 bit JRE and edited vparams to 4 gigs and my game still crashes while trying to load my save. Going to shelve this one and hopefully the next patch will address the memory usage.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So I know this is off-topic, but haven't seen it mentioned. I'm sure pretty much everyone playing Starsector has played Homeworld. They just released a remastered collection that looks awesome. Thread here.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Holy poo poo, that is cool as hell.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Is it just me, or does the latest update seem to be moving along at a glacial place? Even more-so than usual.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hunt bounties. They pay a stupid amount of money.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If he needs more money I'd be happy to buy copies for all of my friends. :)

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Bedshaped posted:

Is this game still in alpha?

I bought it like 2 or 3 years ago. This is star citizen levels of incompetence.

:nyd:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That sounds like a super awkward control scheme for this type of game.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I think the dude who does the art is actually a goon and has posted in this thread. There's a bunch of mod makers in this thread too.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Heeeeeeerrrre's a blogpost!

http://fractalsoftworks.com/2016/07/17/exploration-salvage/#more-2946

Tying into the idea of procedural generation and finding neat stuff, it'd be cool if we could have maybe random modifiers on ships and weapons occasionally, it'd be fun to find a ship with a tricked out engine or something that you want to keep just because you can't get that modifier otherwise.

Wow, this stuff all sounds amazing.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Eat the taco? That's the phrase you're going to go with?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

What a great 4/20 present. Such a fun game to play while high. Looking forward to getting off work!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

For when you look a bunch of poo poo as salvage and want to sell it above board? Or for other systems that might be getting added to the game? I get what you're saying, but as people are telling you, you can make money trading. It's just the dev doesn't want it to be mindless "take items from one station to any other station." You need to actually pay attention to what is going on and fulfill a niche need. Any other trading is unprofitable at the scale you can do because giant corporations cover the market.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Seriously, please just give up and go play a different game. No one here cares if you don't like it and we're tired of reading your dumb rear end posts.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Man, I haven't played in a while and the last few updates have added a ton of stuff. A bit odd to end up with a bunch of ships basically given to you before leaving the tutorial area. Still loving piloting the Wolf. I used to go towards Gravitron Beam and I thought there was something that allowed you to do more damage with energy weapons if you had higher flux. Is that still in game? Gravitron seems a little weak without it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Aww, that sucks. :(

Yeah, that's what I was noticing as well. It just doesn't have enough punch now. I really like the beam aspect of the Gravitron over the laser projectile aspect of the Pulse Laser. Is there something else I should try out on the Wolf? I guess the closest would be a Phase Lance. The Heavy Blaster projectile is too slow, similar to my complaint with the Pulse Laser. Shame they don't have medium-sized Autopulses.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Zudgemud posted:

They have, you get them in droves from the shielded remnant ships you encounter while exploring. It has only 450 range but bursts at 750 DPS.

Oh nice, thank you. I will keep an eye out for them.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Oh my god, that is amazing.

I can't wait for this new release. I have been holding off on starting a game for a while now. Probably been a good ~2 years since I played more than a couple of minutes here and there.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

As long as it's released before I have to spend a week at the in-laws for the holidays, I'll be happy.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

vyelkin posted:

Does anyone else's antivirus really hate Starsector downloads? I swear first Chrome takes like twenty minutes to scan it and finish the download, then Windows Defender takes twenty minutes to actually let the computer open the install file.

This is currently happening to me, so you're not alone.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I haven't played in a good long while. Maybe since they added salvaging and all the campaign map travel abilities? And yeah, I am having trouble finding weapons to outfit my ships. That plus playing on Iron Man and the whole (D) mods that seems to keep accruing in my fleet... It's been interesting. If it wasn't for the stipend I get from completing the tutorial I'd be poo poo out of luck. Do you get that even if you skip the tutorial?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Is there a way to make traveling through nebula in hyperspace not so painful? Seems to suck up a lot of supplies. Going around in a pain and wastes a lot of fuel.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Put solar shielding on all your ships, reduces the effect of hyperspace storms.

thanks~~~

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

drat, the save I've been on alllll day without any alternative backup won't load anymore. Any fix for that or just RIP in pieces?

Did you install RC9? There was an update a day or two ago that someone in the thread said fixed their save game.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

Oh I'm on RC7. Do I just re-install or there some patch somewhere?

Just install the new one over it. Don't even need to uninstall. All your stuff will still be there.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Uh... I just stumbled upon a derelict, almost mint condition Legion. My previous largest ship was a Mule (P). I'm not even sure what to do with this thing, besides mothball it and pray to God that I can restore it before getting my fleet killed with it mothballed.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

Uh... I just stumbled upon a derelict, almost mint condition Legion. My previous largest ship was a Mule (P). I'm not even sure what to do with this thing, besides mothball it and pray to God that I can restore it before getting my fleet killed with it mothballed.

So, ah... is there any way to store a ship or items somewhere like they used to be? An abandoned station or whatever?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That Guy Bob posted:

The abandoned station in Corvus is still there, and there's at least two more abandoned stations you can store stuff in.

Xand_Man posted:

The old Abandoned Station in Corvus is still there. I parked my Legions there while on survey runs.

Thank you both!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm just starting to think about setting up a colony and I wanted to ask before I spent a bunch of time doing something dumb.

I found an unexplored system that has like 6 or 7 planets with 100% hazard rating but otherwise they all have "nothing special" after surveying them. Is the hazard rating the only real important stat? Is there something else I'm missing? If there's a bunch of those planets in the same system does that make it more attractive because I can set up a bunch of colonies in the same system?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

my kinda ape posted:

That is a very unusual system in my experience.

Yeah, I am kinda thinking it is a pre-built system because it's right in the middle of the core worlds and is called "Penelope's Star."

OwlFancier posted:

Define "nothing special" because if there are literally no resources then yes that's a bit of a problem. You want to be producing something on the worlds even if it's only things to support the population.

100 hazard rating + farmland especially is very good because you can grow and support a population on those. If you have farmland and organics in the system then that's very good. And if they have any ore/rare ore then you can also set up a good industrial base there.

Sorry, the "nothing special" was what the game shows when you finish surveying the planet. Here's a screenshot. I'm assuming I should keep looking for places to go. That Arid "Jeremiah's World" looked decent, but I think it was more organics and the system itself was not that great and kinda far.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Awesome, thanks for the quick responses. Basically like Eve's unclaimable nullsec.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So what exactly am I looking for in a planet/system to colonize? I feel like I've been looking forever and maybe I'm just being too picky.

It is best to have a few worlds in a single system that you can colonize, correct? That way you have some synergies going on, have one place for your AI fleets to defend, etc.

Low hazard, high accessibility, and then some of the + to mining (ore, rare ore, volatiles seems to be it?). How about + to farming? Would a terran world with -1 to farming be a disqualifier?

Being closer to the core means it's easier to fly over and defend. Also seems to increase accessibility. So closer is pretty much universally better, or is there a trade off going on?

Thanks. Tried to find a guide or something that had all this in one spot, but I didn't see one and I haven't been able to piece that all together without actually testing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I've not gone up against the absolute top tier stations, but the reaper torp launchers that shoot like 4 at a time.. Put two of those on something and go to town.