Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Kayleen
:page3:

"Noted. But I think the servitor got him. From what I understand, Khorne is okay with the guy who started the bloodshedding dying but the ideal situation is that dude survive to continue to kill other stuff at a later date. Also a bunch of dudes fighting and shedding blood, getting patched up, and doing it over and over again generates more blood shed over the long run than just killing them the first time."

She sips the remainder of the recaf mug before checking it isn't filed with blood, poo poo, or other fluids.

"Do I have y'alls philosophy about right?"

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Sep 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Alexios Balathu, Mouth of the Host

Alexios curses as he stomps into the room. This damned station was more labyrinthine than Tzeentch's infernal libraries. "Excellent, so I haven't missed the...festivities." He walks over to what's left of the catering table and picks out the least soiled donut, flicking bits of teeth off it as he studies his surroundings and new comrades. "I am Alexios Balathu; a thousand apologies for my tardiness, but Slaaneshi station design is...quite something."

Sorry for the tardiness, gonna RP it as Alexios got lost :v:

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Dr. Hugh

"Isn't it? I haven't seen design like this since I was with the Ladies of Perfect Space. That was an interesting time, it's hard to maintain believable crossdressing for several months. Although, thinking back on it, a number of that group had rather masculine facial structure. Anyways, even after that experience with a cult focused on architecture, I managed to blunder my way into a VIP room by accident. Care for any Wildsnake?" Fred steps up to Alexios, cup in one hand, bottle of Wildsnake in the other, preparing to pour if the other man accepts.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Alexios

"Certainly." After taking the cup, he examines it momentarily, before raising it towards Dr. Hugh. "To the Prince of Excess, and the death of our enemies," Alexios toasts before downing the cup in one go, trusting on his enhanced metabolism to stop any possible poisons.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.
The Butcher

"Alexios. Call me the Butcher." He doesn't move from where he's offering to help Mordred up, though he gives a wave. "I think we're all here now. Don't mind the mess. Things have gotten a bit exciting already."

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Mordred

After a few moments, Mordred sits up abruptly. "Well, that happened." Waving off the Butcher's offer to help him up, Mordred got to his feet and examined where his wounds should be. He had to admit, that servitor sure knew how to fix things. "Anyways, name's Mordred, used to be a Black Templar, fell to chaos, the usual story. And don't worry, I got what I deserved for not going all-out and instead thinking it would be an easy battle. So, everyone's here then, right? We should be given the rules for the contest soon. It'd be rude to keep us waiting."

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Drevan

He looks at the latest arrival, glad that this loving thing is going to start soon. "Name's Drevan." He pauses. "Hey Alexios want to see a fancy thing? Smash that recaf pot over there."

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Alexios

"What pot?" Alexios mutters as he inadvertently sweeps the pot off the table, smashing it on the floor behind him. "...Ah."

Forums Terrorist fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Sep 18, 2013

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Bartameus

"Hello, Mr. Balathu!", Bart says cheerfully. "It seems like now, our group is finally complete! Tell me,", he asks, "Do you have a preference among the so called "Gods" of Chaos? Do you, perhaps, favor the Lord of Decay?", and as he says this, he turns over the King of Nurgle, a card showing the corpulent god on a palanquin carried by Nurglings. "Or, is your preference, the Lord of Blood?", and there he turns over the Knave of Khorne, a Bloodthirster riding on a Juggernaut. "Or, perhaps, the Master of Secrets?", and he turns over the Knight of Tzeentch, a Thousand Sons sorcerer in mid spell. "Or, is it the Prince of Pleasure?", and he turns over the Queen of Slaanesh, a Daemonette in ecstacy as she disembowels a worshiper. "Or, perhaps, no one god at all, but Chaos in its multitude of forms?", and he turns over the card the Star, showing the Chaos Star rising over a barren landscape.

"In fact, I would ask the question of all of you, although, some, from your actions and demeanor, I can already guess the answer to my question."

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

The Butcher

The Butcher pulls out his emerald Nurgle pendant which, despite being filthy like most of the rest of him, still somehow glitters in the light. He rolls it in his fingers and smiles crookedly at Bart.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Dr. Hugh

"Oh, I have joined cults of each of the gods in my time. I rarely stay with any one for more than a few months, however." The elderly man smiles and takes a sip of his Wildsnake, his eyes widening slightly at the taste.

chin up everything sucks fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 18, 2013

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Drevan

The khornate raises his left eyebrow when Dr Hugh speaks. "Really? Each of the gods? Now this I want to hear! I don't really picture you in a Khornate cult. It wasn't one of the pathetic ones that go around killing hobos and stupid mutants hopefully?"

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Kayleen

"Many people have put a lot of thought into the philosophical choices behind their deities," she stares at Drevan "Some more than others." She slurps half the recaff cup before refilling it with whiskey. "I prefer a balanced perspective by which my studies are uninterrupted combined with minimizing bullshit and maximizing the amount of dead imperials, especially mechanicus." Kayleen decides now is not the time to start lecturing the group of mutant demon-worshiping supermen on the merits of Secular Humanism. "Those bleach blonde power-armored bondage whores are a good secondary choice for annihilation as well."

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Hassan

Hassan takes off his helmet and raises a glass of champagne to the new comer.

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Sep 18, 2013

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Dr. Hugh

"I have been in several khornate cults over the years, participating in their rituals and rites. How else can I write a treatise on the various cults and worships and how they attract followers? Believe me, once I get it published in the New Selaris Psychiatrists Journal, detailing the reasons people choose to join the worship of the dark gods, I'll be famous!" Hugh continues to sip at his Wildsnake, even as he emphasizes his speech with his free hand.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Bart

"Fascinating. So, you're a psychiatrist, then? How do you see the various Chaos cults, psychologically speaking, I mean?"

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Kayleen

"That sounds like a fantastically bad idea, doc. And this is coming from someone pondering constructing atomics." ::IT'S TRUE:: the servo-skull bleeps out. ::IF SHE ASKS FOR FISSIONABLE SUBSTANCES IN PAYMENT OR COMPENSATION DON'T GIVE THEM TO HER-OW:: A power armored back hand send the skull flying to the far wall.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 18, 2013

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Dr. Hugh

"Well, that... is a difficult question to answer. But in general, it is because everyone, at some point, feels that inside, they are the most evil of evil people. That they have a darkness in them that nobody else has seen. And this draws them towards darker interests, because their introspection makes that which is darker seem... less wrong. After all, if they are so evil deep inside, it helps you feel better about yourself if you find others who share that darkness. And so someone who 'feels' dark starts doing acts that they wouldn't have considered before they began this introspection. Most people, and this usually happens in the teenage years, do minor acts of rebellion, but a few people are swept up into something that is, in actuality, a path towards darkness. And the more they become used to such acts, the more they seek darker acts, trying to unconsciously balance their feelings of themselves with external actions. Now, I will admit, there are a number of other reasons people begin worshiping the dark gods, but this is my particular area of interest." The Wildsnake appears to already be kicking in slightly, his hands moving more as he speaks, more energy in his attitude. Or perhaps it is just because he is speaking about a personal interest. Either way, Hugh seems far more energetic than when he first entered the room, and Fred, trying to refill his masters glass, does his best to stay out of the way of the armored limbs that seem to be gesticulating of their own accord.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Drevan

Drevan, getting slightly drink from the rum and Wildsnake mixture, doesn't understands a thing about what the hell the doctor is blathering about. "Man I dunno what you talking about. I mean I was in the Longknives, killing some "heretics" for the Emperor, then this rear end in a top hat commander on our side starts shelling us with Basilisks and Medusas, not caring for friendly fire. Me and some other lucky fuckers who survived stormed his camp later as revenge and massacred everyone, taking off heads and spilling blood everywhere, you know, the good poo poo. And you know what the best part was? The loving commander was a secret Slaneesh cultist! After I took his skull I got this Mark right here." Drevan shows his Mark of Khorne. "And that was when I found it what I really liked to do, killing stuff with this beautiful thing here!" He raises his fleshfused runesword. "Now I'm here, hopefully to do the same thing to that governor eventually."

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Bart

"So then, do you see the Chaos cults as. . .how do I put this, as aberrational? It seems to me that the forces that the Dark Gods control and are the manifestation of are fundamental. Change, destruction, decay, and reward seem to be basic concepts. Can you call them 'evil'? Isn't that an attempt to impose human concepts of morality on nature? Because isn't morality itself infinitely changeable, as individuals define as 'moral' that which benefits them and 'immoral', that which harms them? When the atoms fuse in a star, we don't call that "evil", even though it's a force of enormously destructive power and changes the fundamental nature of the atoms involved."

"It seems to me", Bart says, sipping his (possibly poisoned, but probably not) wine, "that individuals join Chaos cults because they seek the favor of the dark gods so that they will give them power. And they do actions that others would call 'evil', either because they think them good or they just don't care much one way or another."

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Dr. Hugh

"Ah, you have thought upon this! Well, you see, morality is something decided upon by a culture. And while these rules are rarely written out, they define what is acceptable in the culture, and anyone violating these unwritten rules will cause anger among the members of said culture. In this case, I am defining chaos as an outside force that does not care what the morality of it's action is, as the followers of chaos have accepted a different morality base and choose not to accept the morality bases that exist inside the imperium. And while most followers of chaos do want power, you have others drawn to the acts, others who just want to reject the cultural norms they were raised with, and some who just fell into service by accident. But what is always there, at least among cults and converts, which are not to be confused with people raised in a culture where chaos worship is the norm, is a view of the self that involves a feeling that you need to embrace you darker side. The reasons for that feeling are varied, and as I mentioned, often occur amongst younger persons, but this is, I believe, the root of what draws people to convert."

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Kayleen

"Addiction theory as applied so sociological normativity? Hmm, I've heard as such. In the corpse god's military, they have it annotated in their scholastica tactica about conditioning recruits to accept new behaviors as the norm. But I sense the major difference is you're looking at it from an internal view and its reactions to outside stimuli rather than outside stimuli shaping a faceless whole."

(Joining in the :spergin: with common lore and scholastic lore (all). TN 70+2DOS if relevant)

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

The Butcher

He almost seems a little amused at the turn of the conversation, and he tucks his amulet back. "Father Nurgle is the end of all. Including all of you. As much as you cling to your Gods, it doesn't matter. All your efforts will turn to rot and decay, no matter how much you may struggle," the Butcher comments cheerfully, scratching the chin of one of his Nurglings. "But that isn't such a terrible thing. He gladly embraces and comforts any who would turn to him. You can become one with the rot, instead of simply be taken by it. It's your choice, naturally, but he takes care of his own, and won't cast them aside in a needless sacrifice, or turn them into some mutated beast, or make them a slave. There's room in his gardens for all of you, if you simply accept him."

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Kayleen

The heretek nods. "While true of somethings, Butcher, well..." Kayleen does not draw the scary oversized gun on her back, that glows with green runes, but she leans forward as Sawbones floats over and shines a light on it. "I carbon dated this device I recovered; it dates back to not only when the corpse walked alive, but to before humanity even climbed out of a primordial pool on Terra. Its as deadly as the day it was forged. 99.9999% of everything rots, but there are always outliers."

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Dr. Hugh

"Interesting how people take a simple fear, such as a fear of death, and are willing to accept any possible chance to stave it off. All of the cults gain followers this way, although the cults of the plague god seem to obtain them from a select group. Either way, everyone who seeks immortality seems to turn their attempt at gaining it into something that they feel others should be jealous of... Not immortality itself, mind you, the act of seeking immortality. One of the stranger things I have observed."

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Kayleen

"Well yes, if a heretic falls in the woods and ascends to demonhood, does anyone hear it? Once you're past the dreg, serf and slave level, appearance and attitude is a vital component of your station in any world inside the Vortex, and most human worlds anywhere, for that matter." She kills the cup. Not literally, even though that's probably possible on a chaos world. "Even those vile Ork creatures decorate themselves and strut about inbetween clubbing each others brains out."

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Bart

"Immortality is a futile hope. It's just a form of stasis. But all things change. All things develop. And all things break down. Even our friend's gun there. It wasn't always a gun. In time, it will stop being one. I don't deny some people seek it. But eventually they'll be disappointed. But I think reducing it all to a fear of death is an oversimplification. Do you fear death?", Bart asks the hulking Nurglite.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

The Butcher

"Where's the fear? There's no point in being afraid of inevitability," Butcher hums. "It won't change the end result, and it comes one way or the other." He peers down at the device presented, blinking. "And that is impressive, surely. Definitely a wonder of old tech. I hope you've learned a lot from it. But just because it's lasted so far, can you assure that it will still be intact tomorrow? How about the next day? Are there microfractures that you can't see? Are you going to start reading cards like the poor confused psyker there to try to predict the future?" He gestures to Bart.

"Decay is the end result of all things. Even the mightiest will be consumed by it. I guarantee that the device there will eventually be nothing but dust. But that doesn't mean it has no value. That's often a misconception that I find people have." He glances to Hugh. "Despite how temporary you or I may be, or those recaf pots, they can still be of great worth, which simply makes their end all the more magnificent."

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Bart

"Oh, don't dismiss predictions of the future so easily, my Nurglite friend. While all things change and alter, everything is pattern. Discern the pattern, uncover the underlying nature of reality and the laws that govern it, and the past, present, and future are all laid out for you. It's a mistake that too many people make. They see each event as independent, when really there's an interconnectivity in all things. Since every event influences every other event, even actions which seem insignificant can have massive effects. So, to predict the future, one merely has to take into effect the inputs. It's simply a matter of becoming omniscient. Which is, admittedly, a long term goal."

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

The Butcher

"And that is the grand deception of Tzeentch. He confuses and twists your mind, sending you running after hidden messages in the twinkling of stars or the chance appearance of a suit in a deck of cards. He makes you believe that there is meaning in randomness. He insists that all occurrences are part of his grand scheme."

The large marine sighs and looks almost rueful. "Really, Tzeentch will offer you an infinite amount of promises of which there is no guarantee of delivery, just to try to make you dance to any one of his rapidly changing plots, only to discard you when convenient. Father Nurgle will simply tell you of what is to come, and leave you to decide of what you'll do with that knowledge."

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

[Black Crusade] Nerds Discuss Philosophy Over poo poo Coffee

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Bart

"It's not. It's not like that. I'm not saying that I worship Tzeentch", he says, as the emblem of Tzeentch hangs from his neck, "but, what the worship of Tzeentch is about is knowledge. Destruction might be inevitable, but you don't want to walk in blind. Better to know what's happening than just accept it. And, really, destruction is itself creation, because it's only destruction of form. We know that matter and energy aren't created or destroyed. Just the forms they take. So, what seems to be "destruction" is really just transformation into another thing. And maybe that's effective immortality; mutability of form but continuance of substance."

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Drevan

Drevan was starting to get a headache from all this existential talk. "And Khorne shows that none of this discussion loving matters because in this galaxy there is only war and blood. I mean, what if those Berserkers outside grab eight more of them and storm this room? Everyone here is gonna get slaughtered, blood everywhere. And then its over the sensations and pleasures for the slaneeshi, all the planing and warp knowledge for the tzeentchians, you get the idea. I think that's why khornates and nurglites understand each other sometimes. Only the nurglites are gross as hell, no offense big guy." he says, glancing at The Butcher. "Say, how you get that name anyway?"

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Kayleen

Kayleen is content to listen at this point. All the gods are bullshit but at least people are trying to think now. She scrolls through her datapad connected to her neck port, and out of idle currosity searches for some things the other mentioned.

"...'Longknives" > "brontian longknives.... WHOA."

Her glowing eyes grow wide as she smiles and turns the dataslate around to Drevan.

"So, you used to wear something like this?"

"Takes a man very secure in his manhood to wear that...I don't suppose you still got it around."

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Sep 18, 2013

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

The Butcher

The Butcher shrugs at Dreven, confirming that, yes, he is a bit gross. But what can be done?

"I carved chunks of meat off of 50 children during the dead of night. It was part of a local legend, you see. I figured I'd help bring a bit of magic to their dreary lives. I like to think I really made a difference."

He leans in to look at the image Kayleen presents, and chortles. "Heh! Nipples."

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Drevan

Drevan, slightly drunk, starts laughing when he sees the picture of his old uniform. "Hahaha yes pretty much. Except the little shoulders-plates were red and we being the 17th Scalp Takers, well, we wore the scalps in our uniforms too, so a bit more messier than that. I got rid of it when I manage to get this thing." He points out to his Harness of Rage.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
When Alex knocks the recaf pot down, there is a expectant pause.. but no servitor emerges, much to the group's disappointment. Now the Dark Apostle's armor has coffee stains on it and there will likely be ants in someone's future.

At some point during the discourse over religion and philosophy, a squat looking creature in a tailored suit with grey skin, buggy eyes, and a luxurious, silken beard waddles into the room. He stands in confusion as he listens to champions of the four separate gods actively discussing the meaning of evil and the beliefs and mantras of their chosen guard, and as the conversation turns to shirtless armor, he clears his throat. When he speaks, his voice is gritty yet squeaky. "Beta 32! You guys are up! Come on, come on, all of the betas are gettin' set up! You guys are on next!"

Turning, the little creature waddles back out, leaving the door open. Passing by the door in the hallway are other marines and heretics of the various gods, chatting amongst one another and occasionally shoving someone into a wall. So far, it seems Beta 32 is the best behaved of the groups, save for the usual Khornate shenanigans.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Drevan

The khornate raises from his chair and looks confused at this small thing. "We are going alright. But can you tell me what the gently caress are you? Are you a xenos or mutant or something?"

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Bart

Bart gets up from the table and offers Kayleen her cards back. "Well, it looks like we're up. Time to see what we can do for the governor. . . or to the governor, I suppose."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

The Butcher

"Here we go! Finally!"

All thoughts of nipples and bloody shoulder pads are forgotten as the beard directs them, and the Butcher starts to funnel out into the hall. "Lets make a formation of it. Can be very professional and such. First impressions are important."

A nurgling coughs up something onto his shoulder.

• Locked thread