Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

Sleepy Hollow airs Mondays at 9/8c on Fox.

:siren: After only three episodes, Sleepy Hollow has already been renewed for season two!! Note that both seasons are 13-episodes each.

After Ichabod Crane "dies" during a mission for General George Washington in 1781, he awakens in 2013 Sleepy Hollow, New York. But so does the Headless Horseman, whose head Ichabod chopped off before his perceived death. The horseman begins his nightly killing spree, and Ichabod must partner with Lt. Abbie Mills.

Resources
Official Site
Official Show Twitter
Sleepy Hollow Writer's Twitter
John Cho's Twitter
Katia Winter's Twitter
Tom Mison's Twitter
Orlando Jones' Twitter
Nichole Beharie's Twitter
Exec Producer Marc Goffman's Twitter
Phillip Iscove's (co-creator) Twitter
gently caress Yeah, Sleepy Hollow! Good fan-run tumblr
Orlando Jones' tumblr

BrendianaJones posted:

The official Twitter account has an "Ask the Producers" thing going. I asked if they had a long term plan for the show, the response was,

"We have a long term plan. We didn't say seven years of tribulation for nothing"

This OP contains a rundown of the entire first episode. There are a lot of gifs! I have also put in a "stopping point" if you want to meet the characters without getting too spoiled.

Audio Requirement For Maxiumum OP Enjoyment

Meet Ichabod Crane, played by Tom Milson. Just your ordinary Oxford History professor in 1781, sent by the queen to fight against the revolutionaries in the colonies. Instead, he defected and turned into a high ranking officer under George Washington.

He has a wife, Katrina, played by Katia Winter.

Out battling the redcoats one day, Ichabod shoots a guy in a mask, but the guy doesn't want to stay dead.

He has this thing on his hand.

Ichabod takes a nasty, eventually fatal blow,

but his injuries allow him time to cut off his enemies head before succumbing to a peaceful eternal rest few hours later.

Or so he thought.

Waking up 250 years in the future comes a few shocks.

Eventually, Ichabod wanders into town and gets taken into custody, by Officer Andy Dunn, played by John Cho.

Meet Lieutenant Abbie Mills, played by Nicole Beharie, of the Westchester county police department. She has a gun. She is authorized to use it. On you.

This is her partner, Sheriff August Corbin, played by Clancy Brown.

And this is Captain Frank Irving, played by Orlando Jones.

:siren: Haven't seen the show yet and don't want to get spoiled? Stop here. Want a recap of the rest of the pilot, or want to see what happened without watching all of it? Go on!

Unfortunately, a few minutes after we meet Sheriff August Corbin, he and Abbie investigate a disturbance on a farm, this rear end in a top hat shows up, and the Sheriff loses his head. Literally.

In custody, everyone thinks Ichabod is insane, but Abbie kind of feels like listening to him. Captain Frank Irving, decides Ichabod belongs in an insane asylum, but wasn't the one that killed the Sheriff. Abbie thinks Ichabod is connected, and asks to question him during the transport, which Irving lets Abbie supervise.

Copious amounts of sass later, Ichabod deducts that Abbie isn't taking him straight to the asylum, and instead they head to investigate Ichabod's grave.

He is also befuddled by our modern technologies, as you might expect.

The trip is fruitful, though, as they find George Washington's Bible.

Washington, as it turned out, had explained to Ichabod that the Revolution wasn't merely a battle for the country, it would determine the fate of every man, woman and child on Earth. Ichabod's mission was to kill the man with the bow mark on his hand.

The Headless Horseman is one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

Sleepy Hollow's preacher, coincidentally, is actually a warlock, but loses his battle (and his head) with the Horseman.

Abbie shows up with Ichabod at the crime scene, is yelled at by Irving, but Ichabod finds his wife's grave. Her gravestone says she was burned for witchcraft. Ichabod declares his fate and Abbie's are entwined. Abbie drops him off at the asylum anyway.

But before she leaves she tells him that as a teenager, she and her sister were walking through the woods when four trees appeared behind them and they heard a weird voice, saw a weird thing, then blacked out.

Instead of going home, Abbie breaks into Corbin's office and finds out her partner was really into occult and weird local legends research.
- 100 Witches were put to death between 1712 and 1816.
- Two different covens integrated into the populace. One was good, one was evil.
- Hundreds of murders along the east coast were deliberately ignored.
- He'd even done research on Abbie and her sister. In 1882, a local farmer had seen the same thing they had, in the same place. He thought they were also symbols of the four horsemen.

Ichabod, meanwhile, spends the night dreaming about his wife, Katrina. She tells Ichabod she's a member of the good coven.

Katrina is a fount of new information.
- Ichabod and the Horseman's blood mixed on the battlefield, binding them forever.
- She cast a spell on Ichabod's body to save him, buried him, and threw the horseman's body in a casket in the river.
- The Horseman awakening (for still unknown reasons) awakened the Ichabod as well, as they're bound.
- The Horseman is now on a mission to find his skull and become whole again.
- Once he's whole, the other three Horsemen of the Apocalypse will then begin to waken, and once they're all awake, the apocalypse will start.
- The Headless Horseman has one weakness: he's vulnerable to light.
- Washington's Bible has all the answers, and Ichabod is the first of two witnesses.

Ichabod wakes up, and Abbie breaks him out of the asylum, just a few hours after checking him in.

Abbie found a map in Corbin's research, signed by George Washington. Ichabod remembers the map, and Abbie says Corbin had marked it up with sites around town with particularly weird happenings.

Ichabod tells Abbie that he'd seen the figure and trees at some point, too.

Abbie's research showed that the Horseman's Head is in the cemetery at the church, so she calls Andy for backup and heads there.

Too bad Andy's working with the Headless Horseman.

Abby and Ichabod go grave digging, eventually finding the Horseman's Skull.

Just in time for the Horseman to show up and have round 2 with Ichabod.

In classic Nice Guy 101 fashion, Andy decides to "protect" Abbie. Abbie is having none of that.

The Horseman finds an assault rifle and fun ensues.

Luckily for our heroes, the sun comes up, and the Horseman rides off, still headless.

Back at the station, Ichabod tells Abbie that their fates are entwined for seven years to battle for the fate of the world before Judgement Day. Hear that? Seven seasons. Already mandated. (Six seasons and a movie also acceptable.)

Andy? Well, while in custody, something shows up and decides he's a little more expendable.

Abbie and Ichabod see the thing departing in Andy's cell mirror...

What the gently caress was that?

Annakie fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Sepinwall's review.

quote:

I honestly can't tell you if FOX's "Sleepy Hollow," the first new show of the 2013-14 network TV season, is good or bad — and I've already watched the pilot episode (which airs Monday at 9 p.m.) twice. I suspect it's bad, and that it will be proven to be bad over the course of its first season. But if it's bad, it's in a memorable, weird, fun way. It's a show that goes for broke, does not apologize for its excesses and is never, ever boring. In a freshman class full of forgettable new dramas, it stands out by virtue of embracing every possible way in which it could go awry, because ultimately being boring is worse than being bad.

:munch:

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
I'm in for the pilot.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
I'm hoping this is good. I love buddy cop/odd couple stuff and this looks like silly fun. This is also the second series in recent memory with a character from a story being set in the real world(see:elementary).
As long as the chemistry between the characters is good, sexual or platonic, then I'll be happy. Considering longevity, since they're going 4-horsemen/apocalypse for the headless rider, I assume they'll go there eventually.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
This looks stupid.

Then again, so did Hannibal, so I should probably give it a chance.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Keep in mind, this is from Kurtzman & Orci of "we're responsible for the Transformers movies" infamy.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
This is about my hometown and thus it owns.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

This show has already delivered for creating a trailer that is just three minutes of concentrated crazy: http://www.cinemablend.com/television/Sleepy-Hollow-Trailer-Resurrects-Ichabod-Crane-Orci-Kurtzman-Drama-55639.html

In fact, we should try to get a new thread title on that trailer alone. My suggestion? Ho Ho Ho the Headless Horseman has a Machinegun!

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Sep 17, 2013

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
I'm kind of a sucker for "People from the past being awed at our modern technology" scenes. :allears:

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Somehow having Clancy Brown makes this even better.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

This show owns. It loving owns.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Man that is one calm horse.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Did they seriously just kill Clancy Brown off in the first five minutes?

Holy poo poo, John Cho??

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
That was the least surprising thing ever.

And here comes John Cho!

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
In the end there can be only one. Let it be Ichabod Crane, the Hollowander!

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
So we lose Clancy Brown and gain John Cho?

...go on.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Wait... why did they arrest him? The cop didn't know anything, he just got the call.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The thing that bothers me so far is that 144k people is not "small town." Which is what they're treating this as.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Some kind of... Red Coat? THE DEVIL, YOU SAY?

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Sleepy Hollow -- Did He Carry a Broad Axe?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

muscles like this? posted:

The thing that bothers me so far is that 144k people is not "small town." Which is what they're treating this as.

Yeah... that's a huge city.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm just gonna watch this show and pretend it's American Revolution Thor. Because drat, it's a great Thor show so far.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Zero One posted:

It wouldn't take much effort to figure out that Sleepy Hollow actually has a population slightly under 10,000.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Baggage Claim! The worst movie of all time!

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zero One posted:

I wouldn't say "huge". It's definitely a city, and not a small town, though.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Admiralty court? Dammit Crane are you a Freeman?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I feel like this guy always does polygraphs on these types of shows.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Ahhhhhhh he actually said "the question isn't where, but when!"

And he's oddly buying this without much thought.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Haha... Dollar bill is kind of clever.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
General Washington...ON PARCHMENT???

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yoshifan823 posted:

Yeah that was pretty impressive. "Yeah sure time travel or something that's fine."

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

lol

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Hahahaha ok, you got me show.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I really like this guy.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

"Well, now it's a Starbucks."

Sleepy Hollow doesn't have a Starbucks you bastards :argh:

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Yoshifan823 posted:

It seemed like he was just taking the piss out of the guy, not necessarily believing him.

Also, nice work putting this guy squarely on the right side of history. Maybe next he'll nod in approval of gay marriage.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Professor Funk posted:

"Well, now it's a Starbucks."

Sleepy Hollow doesn't have a Starbucks you bastards :argh:

Hush up and watch the history displaced man marvel at modern capitalism.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

A lot of these time travel gags are old hat, but they're really pulling them off.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Huh, so apparently the priest is either from the past or immortal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Oh man I really hope this is gonna go full apocalypse.

• Locked thread