Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

It's blowing my mind that so many people enjoyed this scrapple. I mean, folks and strokes and all but the pilot is dumber than TRUE BLOOD, a syphilis I never thought would have an AIDS to make it look better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Le Woad posted:

I think comparing it in anyway to True Blood would be your first mistake.

Comparing something inane to something different yet comparably inane is a mistake? What else would I compare it to, THE SALLY JESSY RAPHAEL SHOW? Hmmm okay, I'll go with something else that had John Cho in it: It's blowing my mind that so many people enjoyed this scrapple. I mean, folks and strokes and all but the pilot is dumber than FLASH FORWARD, a syphilis I never thought would have an AIDS to make it look better.

If I've not made any more mistakes, I'll take a step back and wait for this thread to come to the indubitable realization that there's a bunch of Ritalin not being appropriately taken.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Le Woad posted:

My point, which I think still stands, is that you're picking strange points of comparison. Tonally this had pretty much nothing in common with True Blood, it's about as far away as you can get and still be considered genre, and instead is a lot more aptly described as some kind of lovechild of Buffy and The X-Files. It's crazy, insane, but also self aware. Which is a tricky balancing act that I thought it pulled off impressively well.

What does it matter how alike it is or isn't to something when the point of my making any reference at all was to communicate that it's dumber than the dumbest thing currently going? There is no X-FILES or anything to be had here because it's already established that the stuff is real, not of science, and does not need to be sought out. And what tension is there when they explicitly state the endgame isn't for nearly a decade, and the scope will realistically never be larger than a single town? That works for something like JERICHO as the town was the town, while Sleepy Hollow is but an allegory for some ridiculous religious tome gumbo.

This entire thread's praise finely boils down to "It's a piece of crap that knows it belongs in a dumpster, and that's why it's good!" While there may be genuine enjoyment there, it's still an act of irony.

• Locked thread