Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
To be fair, it was pretty stupid.

Just in a good way, for the most part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah I thought the guy who played Crane was fantastic. I was initially kind of bothered by the fact that he seemed like the most level-headed, calm time traveler in the history of television, but looking back on the episode I think I prefer that to the usual fish-out-of-water cliche stuff that always happens. They had a few "What is this magical thing?!" jokes here and there, but they were surprisingly restrained compared to how crazy the rest of the episode was. Hell, I give them props just for not having a "WHAT IS THIS HORSELESS CARRIAGE?!?!?!" scene the first time Crane encountered a car.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

soapgish posted:

What does it matter how alike it is or isn't to something when the point of my making any reference at all was to communicate that it's dumber than the dumbest thing currently going?

This entire thread's praise finely boils down to "It's a piece of crap that knows it belongs in a dumpster, and that's why it's good!" While there may be genuine enjoyment there, it's still an act of irony.

So you're complaining that a show which has zero pretensions about itself is dumb, while also making sweeping, incorrect generalizations about its viewers, while also coming off as a smug, pretentious dick. Good post, great job :bravo:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I suspect we'll see more of him in flashbacks or in the weird dimension that Crane's wife is stuck in.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Be still my beating heart :allears:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I just assume that the show will mostly be a monster-of-the-week procedural as they slowly try to figure out how to kill the horseman or rescue Crane's wife or do whatever it is they're actually trying to do. It's not just going to be them futilely trying to fight the horseman every week.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Daric posted:

Oh my bad, generally commercials that air during prime time aren't considered spoilers

Why would any plot info about a future, un-aired episode of any show not be considered a spoiler?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

GreenNight posted:

Meanwhile, despite all odds, Officer ANDY BROOKS (John Cho) is back and on a questionable mission of his own.

Don't know why I didn't see that coming.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
It's kind of hard for your immersion to be broken when it doesn't exist to begin with. That's one of the perks of having the show go nuts from the very beginning, you can do whatever the hell you want because gently caress it, why not.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
It's an inconsistency that's part of literally every single TV show because it's just too much of a a logistical nightmare to make sure that every shot is synched up in terms of both daylight/setting and dialogue continuity. It also makes it a lot easier to transition between scenes smoothly. It's the reason why you constantly see characters start having a conversation in one room and then fluidly continue the conversation as they step out of a building, despite the fact that there presumably should have been a 5 minute period where they were walking inside and just not talking or saying anything. Again, it's something that happens in every single show and is just part of television.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Random Stranger posted:

And "leff-tenant" was back again this episode!

I hate whoever brought it up in here because I hear the F every single time he says it now when before I hadn't noticed. Also it's not really that important, but you'd think that Crane would get some new clothes by now and not just keep walking around in the things he was buried alive in.

Also I keep remembering that John Noble is going to show up at some point and it's making me so god drat happy.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Man John Noble is perfect in that sin eater role. Can't wait for him to (hopefully) become a full member of the team.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Knee posted:

So are they the good guys? Aren't they usually portrayed as one of many secret societies that plot and plan poo poo, influence higher powers, illuminati-like, or have I seen one too many conspiracy theory bullshit shows on the History channel?

I think most fiction treats them like the Templars. That is to say, they just make up a bunch of poo poo about them to make them fit whatever role they need.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Tap water is regulated and tested like crazy precisely because it goes out to everyone's homes. Commercial bottle water, on the other hand, only has to pass your standard FDA testing. I mean at the end of the day it's just loving water and is fine, but people who think that tap water comes straight from the sewers while bottled water has some kind of crazy standard to meet are idiots.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
That's how it is for a lot of show threads, yes.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Angela Christine posted:

Since I'm not american, I feel like I'm not getting the whole experience from this show. :( We don't learn about the founding fathers or the midnight ride or other american sacred cows in school, just what we pick up from american books and movies. I was right along with Crane going "Sally who?"

If it makes you feel any better, I'm pretty sure most Americans forget 50% of the history we're taught in school, and half of the 50% we do remember is probably wrong anyway.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I agree that the episode seemed a bit off, but I'm assuming that it was mainly to set up Ichabod's son for a future plot line so I'm ok with it. Also John Noble getting to act like grumpy Walter again was worth it.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

pentyne posted:

I can't imagine a show getting more hype then having George Washington himself show up as a recurring cast member.

Season finale, Ichabod and Abbie are in trouble, John Noble's character dabs something on a page of Washington's bible and eats it, slowly looks up and faces Ichabod. "It's been a long time, Crane." Cut to black, end of season.

You welcome Sleepy Hollow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
That finale was awesome. I got the biggest smile on my face when I realized John Noble was going full Walternate. What a perfect casting choice for what they wanted to do with that character.

• Locked thread