Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

Sleepy Hollow airs Mondays at 9/8c on Fox.

:siren: After only three episodes, Sleepy Hollow has already been renewed for season two!! Note that both seasons are 13-episodes each.

After Ichabod Crane "dies" during a mission for General George Washington in 1781, he awakens in 2013 Sleepy Hollow, New York. But so does the Headless Horseman, whose head Ichabod chopped off before his perceived death. The horseman begins his nightly killing spree, and Ichabod must partner with Lt. Abbie Mills.

Resources
Official Site
Official Show Twitter
Sleepy Hollow Writer's Twitter
John Cho's Twitter
Katia Winter's Twitter
Tom Mison's Twitter
Orlando Jones' Twitter
Nichole Beharie's Twitter
Exec Producer Marc Goffman's Twitter
Phillip Iscove's (co-creator) Twitter
gently caress Yeah, Sleepy Hollow! Good fan-run tumblr
Orlando Jones' tumblr

BrendianaJones posted:

The official Twitter account has an "Ask the Producers" thing going. I asked if they had a long term plan for the show, the response was,

"We have a long term plan. We didn't say seven years of tribulation for nothing"

This OP contains a rundown of the entire first episode. There are a lot of gifs! I have also put in a "stopping point" if you want to meet the characters without getting too spoiled.

Audio Requirement For Maxiumum OP Enjoyment

Meet Ichabod Crane, played by Tom Milson. Just your ordinary Oxford History professor in 1781, sent by the queen to fight against the revolutionaries in the colonies. Instead, he defected and turned into a high ranking officer under George Washington.

He has a wife, Katrina, played by Katia Winter.

Out battling the redcoats one day, Ichabod shoots a guy in a mask, but the guy doesn't want to stay dead.

He has this thing on his hand.

Ichabod takes a nasty, eventually fatal blow,

but his injuries allow him time to cut off his enemies head before succumbing to a peaceful eternal rest few hours later.

Or so he thought.

Waking up 250 years in the future comes a few shocks.

Eventually, Ichabod wanders into town and gets taken into custody, by Officer Andy Dunn, played by John Cho.

Meet Lieutenant Abbie Mills, played by Nicole Beharie, of the Westchester county police department. She has a gun. She is authorized to use it. On you.

This is her partner, Sheriff August Corbin, played by Clancy Brown.

And this is Captain Frank Irving, played by Orlando Jones.

:siren: Haven't seen the show yet and don't want to get spoiled? Stop here. Want a recap of the rest of the pilot, or want to see what happened without watching all of it? Go on!

Unfortunately, a few minutes after we meet Sheriff August Corbin, he and Abbie investigate a disturbance on a farm, this rear end in a top hat shows up, and the Sheriff loses his head. Literally.

In custody, everyone thinks Ichabod is insane, but Abbie kind of feels like listening to him. Captain Frank Irving, decides Ichabod belongs in an insane asylum, but wasn't the one that killed the Sheriff. Abbie thinks Ichabod is connected, and asks to question him during the transport, which Irving lets Abbie supervise.

Copious amounts of sass later, Ichabod deducts that Abbie isn't taking him straight to the asylum, and instead they head to investigate Ichabod's grave.

He is also befuddled by our modern technologies, as you might expect.

The trip is fruitful, though, as they find George Washington's Bible.

Washington, as it turned out, had explained to Ichabod that the Revolution wasn't merely a battle for the country, it would determine the fate of every man, woman and child on Earth. Ichabod's mission was to kill the man with the bow mark on his hand.

The Headless Horseman is one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

Sleepy Hollow's preacher, coincidentally, is actually a warlock, but loses his battle (and his head) with the Horseman.

Abbie shows up with Ichabod at the crime scene, is yelled at by Irving, but Ichabod finds his wife's grave. Her gravestone says she was burned for witchcraft. Ichabod declares his fate and Abbie's are entwined. Abbie drops him off at the asylum anyway.

But before she leaves she tells him that as a teenager, she and her sister were walking through the woods when four trees appeared behind them and they heard a weird voice, saw a weird thing, then blacked out.

Instead of going home, Abbie breaks into Corbin's office and finds out her partner was really into occult and weird local legends research.
- 100 Witches were put to death between 1712 and 1816.
- Two different covens integrated into the populace. One was good, one was evil.
- Hundreds of murders along the east coast were deliberately ignored.
- He'd even done research on Abbie and her sister. In 1882, a local farmer had seen the same thing they had, in the same place. He thought they were also symbols of the four horsemen.

Ichabod, meanwhile, spends the night dreaming about his wife, Katrina. She tells Ichabod she's a member of the good coven.

Katrina is a fount of new information.
- Ichabod and the Horseman's blood mixed on the battlefield, binding them forever.
- She cast a spell on Ichabod's body to save him, buried him, and threw the horseman's body in a casket in the river.
- The Horseman awakening (for still unknown reasons) awakened the Ichabod as well, as they're bound.
- The Horseman is now on a mission to find his skull and become whole again.
- Once he's whole, the other three Horsemen of the Apocalypse will then begin to waken, and once they're all awake, the apocalypse will start.
- The Headless Horseman has one weakness: he's vulnerable to light.
- Washington's Bible has all the answers, and Ichabod is the first of two witnesses.

Ichabod wakes up, and Abbie breaks him out of the asylum, just a few hours after checking him in.

Abbie found a map in Corbin's research, signed by George Washington. Ichabod remembers the map, and Abbie says Corbin had marked it up with sites around town with particularly weird happenings.

Ichabod tells Abbie that he'd seen the figure and trees at some point, too.

Abbie's research showed that the Horseman's Head is in the cemetery at the church, so she calls Andy for backup and heads there.

Too bad Andy's working with the Headless Horseman.

Abby and Ichabod go grave digging, eventually finding the Horseman's Skull.

Just in time for the Horseman to show up and have round 2 with Ichabod.

In classic Nice Guy 101 fashion, Andy decides to "protect" Abbie. Abbie is having none of that.

The Horseman finds an assault rifle and fun ensues.

Luckily for our heroes, the sun comes up, and the Horseman rides off, still headless.

Back at the station, Ichabod tells Abbie that their fates are entwined for seven years to battle for the fate of the world before Judgement Day. Hear that? Seven seasons. Already mandated. (Six seasons and a movie also acceptable.)

Andy? Well, while in custody, something shows up and decides he's a little more expendable.

Abbie and Ichabod see the thing departing in Andy's cell mirror...

What the gently caress was that?

Annakie fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
I'm kind of a sucker for "People from the past being awed at our modern technology" scenes. :allears:

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

I'm really enjoying the dialog between them. :)

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Everything about the show is over the top and I'm loving it.

I'm also loving the chemistry between the leads. Everything about them is my favorite thing about the show so far.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

...! posted:

The dynamic between Ichabod and the cop is strongly reminding me of the relationship between Sherlock and Joan on Elementary (and to a lesser degree, the one between John and Carter on Person of Interest). I can't put my finger on why it does; it just does.

Smart and sassy Woman of Color platonically partnered with hot white dude.

I love Carter and Joan so I am completely okay with another character of this type.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

DAMNIT DO NOT KILL JOHN CHO.

WAIT NO JOHN CHO DON'T BE EVIL.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Put your hands on your....

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

SEVEN YEARS! You hear that guys? We're getting seven seasons!

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

John Cho noooooooooooooooooooo :(

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Oh my God leaving on Sympathy for the Devil. I am so in for this season.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Gonz posted:

10 million viewers and a 3.4 share last night.

Oh hell yes. Hopefully it can hold that number, or grow. :dance:

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

I'll be happy to make avatar sized gifs or stills from the pilot. If you have a specific request, let me know.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Lofty132 posted:

I'd take an avatar still of the horseman with his mask (I'm already thinking that could be an awesome Halloween costume) or a decent gif of the horseman all tooled up.

I am watching a lot of shows at the moment and I can't convey how stoked I am that I've dropped Under the Dome for this gem :D

Is something like this what you were looking for?

I'm making some gifs so the OP will be decent tonight, so I'll keep looking if ya don't like it.

Also, Ausiello had a little spoiler yesterday on a specific character here. We'll be seeing a lot more of John Cho! This makes me very happy.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

There's really not a good "Look at me standing here all fierce and awesome" shot in the opening scene. I went over it three times trying to find the best shot. There's some later on after he's headless, but I think for this scene, this is as good as it's gonna get. Not great, but serviceable. Sorry! :(

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

OK the OP has been completely revamped, it took me all night to do, so if you'd like please go look at it.

I don't think I'm going to do anything that extensive for any other episode, though, but there will be gifs. :)

*edit* Warning - new OP contains many, many gifs.

Annakie fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Sep 20, 2013

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Conquistador posted:

You put a lot of effort into that OP, though it might be worth mentioning that with the amount of goons that use Chrome, and the amount of dicks Chrome sucks when it comes to gifs that the OP might be kind of a bitch for some people to load.

Updated previous post for gif warning. :)

Mr. Fowl posted:

Love the new OP, though for the bit with the skull, I would have gone for a gif of the eyes opening. Spooky.

You are right, this has been fixed!

Also, this is my favorite gif. I like to call it "The Entire Show in 3 Seconds":

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

As if I didn't love this show enough already, that is the best news I've heard all day.

Also, I've reorganized the first part of the OP a little to introduce all the characters before anything gets too spoilery, and added in a "stop reading here to not get spoiled!" warning. :)

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Preview of next week's episode on Entertainment Weekly. Contains spoilers, obviously.

Gif:

Annakie fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Sep 21, 2013

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

The writers have an official twitter now if you're into following TV show writer's twitters.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

There is a new episode on tonight, I've PM'd Deadpool to ask for a sticky but if another mod sees this first, could you please? :)

I also corrected the date in the OP to the new date Wikipedia had, and added some twitter/website/tumblr resources.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Episode two - let's hope it stays awesome.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

I don't want a donut hole. :colbert:

"These are good." hahahaha

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

OH poo poo ANDY. :dance:

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

I hope Andy turns out to be like Kenny and Satan just keeps bringing him back to life.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Donut taxes. :argh:

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Yay for more Clancy Brown. :3:

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

I want them to banter like that at least twice every episode.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Annd we have a hideout!

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

That was not an accurate impersonation. :colbert:

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

More risen John Cho. More ghost Clancy Brown. More snarky, bickering Abbie and Ichabod. More ~everything~ about this show.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Gumby posted:

It is really cool to see people of color be represented on this show. A lot of shows would have just cast a white girl as Abbie's friend. Hopefully she won't die and we'll get a proper Scooby gang going.

The writers posted a picture of themselves on their twitter: https://twitter.com/sleepywriters/status/382208506348068864/photo/1

There's like five times more diversity in that writer's room than most writers rooms in television. Plus, four of the seven important characters we've now met are PoC. I think we're gonna be in good hands diversity-wise. :D

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

I'm so relieved that the second episode lived up to the pilot.

If you guys have any gif requests, let me know. I don't think I'm gonna recap the entire episode again (that took a couple of hours) but I've been making gifs for tumblr and would be happy to make anything the thread requests. :)

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

violetdragon posted:

Are there any good Satan gifs, from either episode? Maybe that scene where he's sneaking up on Cho in the jail cell? (Please forgive me, if this exists already).

This is what I have right now, Satan-wise:

I think that's all the best shots we have of satan so far, but I've only watched the second ep once.

Wahad, I'll make some ZombieCho gifs soon, but it might need to wait til the weekend. :)

And I'll still attempt to make any avatars anyone wants, stills or gifs.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Crediting annakie.tumblr.com would be great, thanks. Just a link like (x) is fine. :)

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

I thought that in the pilot, too, but I also kind of figured it this way:

* Ichabod could have woken up anytime during the day.
* Abbie/August go investigate the farm in the early evening. At some point later that night Ichabod wanders into town and is caught by Andy.
* Paperwork / crime scene stuff the rest of the night. Abbie questions Ichabod, etc. It could have been any point during the day when she took him to investigate his gravesite. Could have taken them several hours to find it.
* Eventually she takes him to the asylum anyway. He goes to sleep and dreams about Katrina.
* Abbie investigates August's office for a few hours.
* That same night, or very early in the morning, she breaks him out and they have the final confrontation with the Headless Horseman and Andy.

So the pilot probably all took place in roughly a day and a half, tops, not including Ichabod's death 230 years ago. Abbie just probably didn't sleep at all for 48 hours.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

I've converted a few people. I also heard some of my co-workers talking about it last week and getting some other co-workers into watching it. :D

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Week 3 of this crazy train! :dance:

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Well that's gives a whole new meaning to dirt in your eye.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Yeah I guess they're just recognizing him as her partner now? Especially since she picked him up before heading to the scene of the jumper. He did say he needed a job, though it'd be nice to see some sort of confirmation he's officially on payroll or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

That's how I feel about energy drinks, too, Ichabod.

• Locked thread