Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Tychtrip posted:

I prefer the Kilborn Daily Show. I think it's the best one.

--

I kind of hate Schmidt now, which is sad. I hope it passes quickly.

I don't hate him. He did a terrible thing and is dealing with the emotional turmoil of realizing he hosed up big time. People make mistakes, and I'm sure he'll eventually accept that and grow as a character. Plus I doubt his whole "I'm gonna break you two up" thing was serious or will become a major plot point. He was speaking out of anger, lashing out because he's the type of guy who doesn't take responsibility right away. But he will, eventually.

And I'm still loving the Jess/Nick relationship. I really hope it goes the distance rather than them breaking up in some season finale cliffhanger like every other goddamn sitcom with a relationship story arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Picca has delicious ceviche by the way, everyone in LA should go try it.

Scary Schmidt... :smith:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

hope and vaseline posted:

I just found out that the last Paleyfest new girl panel (from back in late season 2) is up on Hulu, and it's delightful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O4Sed1BcVY

http://www.hulu.com/watch/465971

Max and Jake are just like Schmidt and Nick.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Conquistador posted:

I enjoyed the episode tonight. I'm glad that the whole "Nick is cheating!" thing went absolutely nowhere. I'd love to see more of the last shot with Nick and Jess, I think that whole bit was my favorite part of the episode

Absolutely nowhere? Nick had to take two to the dick for that

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah well right now I'm jealous of his dick so he deserved it :colbert:

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Hopefully this means more Jess and Cece scenes in the future. She better not disappear entirely.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

One thing to say about the whole Schmidt plot this season, even if you hate it - they have been absolutely tear-assing through it. It was introduced in the very first episode, then there were wacky hijinks in the second where he almost got caught, then it was resolved this episode. Any other comedy that bothered to do a plot like this would have milked it for everything that it was worth, turing each one-off gag into a full-fledged B-plot per episode until it climaxed during November sweeps (at the earliest).

If they keep the same pace up, I can see the "Schmidt being a spiteful dick" plot lasting an episode or two before they give us a reason to love him again.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
One of his girlfriends will be pregnant and forgive him

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Winston leverages the cat into getting with Elizabeth and it destroys Schmidt.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
The thing that makes the Schmidt situation work for me is that I believe him. He genuinely likes both of them a lot and for different reasons. He was put into a lovely situation where the woman he loved was all of the sudden available again and is then forced to chose on the spot between his current girlfriend and the one who almost got away. He wasn't just being some rear end in a top hat trying to get laid as much as possible.

The other side of that coin is that I think he actually wants to break Jess and Nick up but at the current pace the show is moving he will probably realize he's stupid after just a few episodes. They will come out stronger from whatever scheme he's plotting and he'll realize that they are the real deal or something.

Tree Dude fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 2, 2013

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Timett posted:

The thing that makes the Schmidt situation work for me is that I believe him. He genuinely likes both of them a lot and for different reasons. He was put into a lovely situation where the woman he loved was all of the sudden available again and is then forced to chose on the spot between his current girlfriend and the one who almost got away. He wasn't just being some rear end in a top hat trying to get laid as much as possible

Yes, but that's really a dangerous and juvenile train of thought. An emotionally mature adult would still do the right thing and either pick one or forego both. If only to ensure that the situation isn't made worse for the girls involved. Schmidt was only thinking of himself, and paid no mind to the well being of the women he supposedly "loved." But, hey. poo poo happens and sometimes people have to royally gently caress up before they can gain that permanent +10 to their responsibility stat.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Emotionally mature adults probably wouldn't be like OK YOU MUST NOW INSTANTLY CHOOSE YOUR GIRLFRIEND.

Admittedly, I've never had two girlfriends that knew about eachother so maybe that is realistic

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Conquistador posted:

Emotionally mature adults probably wouldn't be like OK YOU MUST NOW INSTANTLY CHOOSE YOUR GIRLFRIEND.

Admittedly, I've never had two girlfriends that knew about eachother so maybe that is realistic

Actually you have a good point there. It was pretty hosed up for Cece to drop her fiancee and declare he love for Schmidt knowing he was in a pretty serious relationship with someone else.

poo poo, maybe those two deserve each other. They're both terrible at thinking of others.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
It's one of those things where I just kind of step back and remind myself that the show is primarily a comedy and that I should treat it as such. I just happen to actually like the characters in this comedy versus most of the other ones I watch. Like, the Always Sunny people are hilarious but they're also some of the worst people in the world. Or Rafi/Dirty Randy, etc.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

George Costanza was hilarious but can you imagine having to deal with someone like that for real

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think I could imagine dealing with anybody on Seinfeld for real, even though the show is hilarious. Even Elaine whom I have a crush on is probably wicked annoying.

I think I might just have a crush on JLD though, I am just going to assume she is amazing irl

Esroc
May 31, 2010

I just don't understand the allure of Seinfeld. I want to. I keep hearing it's a milestone of comedy, but I can sit through an entire episode and not even chuckle. :(

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Sash! posted:

George Costanza was hilarious but can you imagine having to deal with someone like that for real

The entire premise of Curb Your Enthusiasm is this.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Esroc posted:

I just don't understand the allure of Seinfeld. I want to. I keep hearing it's a milestone of comedy, but I can sit through an entire episode and not even chuckle. :(

How old are you?

No, really, because it makes a difference.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sash! posted:

How old are you?

I think that's pretty fair, and now I'm super glad that I'm in that right age bracket to love that show. I can see why people don't like it, but I wish they could see why I love it.

Dive Kick
Sep 29, 2011
One of my favourite gags from this weeks episode has got to be the Winston bit about trying to hold the table. Him and the waitress about the entree's had me cracking up.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Winston's lonely and desperate slip into madness is very amusing. I still sort of wish he'd develop a real character but until then I'm enjoying this almost meta identity crisis which hopefully culminates with the return of Coach.

Also I just watched all the new episodes today and apparently I missed half a season or something because I have absolutely no idea who Elizabeth is.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Esroc posted:

You're not alone, brother. Or sister.

Sibling.

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin

STAC Goat posted:

Winston's lonely and desperate slip into madness is very amusing. I still sort of wish he'd develop a real character but until then I'm enjoying this almost meta identity crisis which hopefully culminates with the return of Coach.

Also I just watched all the new episodes today and apparently I missed half a season or something because I have absolutely no idea who Elizabeth is.

Where have you been man? She's Schmidt's old girlfriend from college who he got back together with when Cece was dead set on marrying that indian guy. She was in several episodes last season.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Money on Cece being pregnant? They made a big deal of that last season.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

I didn't actually start watching the show until after season two had finished and wasn't following the thread. What was the general opinion of Zooey Deschanel / Jess going into the first season?

I almost stopped watching after a few episodes because it seemed way too self promotey-ish how the first few episodes seemed completely about her, the intro, and seeing she was producing/writing. I'm glad I didn't since it's probably my favorite comedy on right now, but even now I find her the least interesting of the main four.

Googling it shows she's accused of some weird trope but I don't think I've ever seen anything she was in previously so I don't think it would've been a bias coming into it.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Midnight City posted:

I almost stopped watching after a few episodes because it seemed way too self promotey-ish how the first few episodes seemed completely about her, the intro, and seeing she was producing/writing. I'm glad I didn't since it's probably my favorite comedy on right now, but even now I find her the least interesting of the main four.

I'm confused. This is like saying that you thought Seinfeld was too much about Jerry Seinfeld.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Sash! posted:

I'm confused. This is like saying that you thought Seinfeld was too much about Jerry Seinfeld.

I get your point, but to be fair, Jerry was also the most boring character on Seinfeld. It was all about George.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think the original form the show took was with Jess as the lead character and the guys as supporting characters. But it only took two or three episodes before they began to tone Jess back a bit and made the guys more independent. Then later in the season the Schmidt and Nick characters really started to click and it became a full fledged ensemble.

Funnily part of me thinks Seinfeld did the same thing although it took longer. When it started i feel like it was mainly about Jerry but as the seasons went on I think he shared more and more of the spotlight with George, Elaine, and Kramer. I think most successful character vehicles go that way over time. The show might be sold and built on a lead name but if it is going to work for years then it needs supporting characters who naturally grow and become more important to viewers over time, especially as they develop great chemistry. Some shows like New Girl just get there very quickly because the original premise wasn't really working. See Cougar Town.

Oz posted:

Where have you been man? She's Schmidt's old girlfriend from college who he got back together with when Cece was dead set on marrying that indian guy. She was in several episodes last season.

Yeah, I have no idea. I could swear I watched the whole season last year and I want to say I remember CeCe ending her wedding and Jess and Nick getting together. I even remember Daisy. But I have absolutely no memory at all of Elizabeth. Either I have some weird blind spot or I somehow managed to miss just a couple of episodes that heavily featured her.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Sash! posted:

Not really, but I can see how you'd think that. From the very beginning episodes it was all about Jess, not just the story lines but that rather arrogant intro (compared to Seinfeld's which has all the cast's own scenes in it) where it's just 3 dudes fawning all over her while she's singing a song about herself.

It seemed a bit excessive starting out to me especially when I've always found the other 3's plot lines better / funnier. I finally found the first season thread and there were other people complaining about it so I'm not completely alone apparently, but I was watching it all by myself so I didn't have someone warning me it'd get so much better.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Tychtrip posted:

I kind of hate Schmidt now, which is sad. I hope it passes quickly.

Based on the last 2 seasons it seems like they might have Schmidt try to comically get his revenge on Jess and Nick before he acknowledges he ruined the best thing in his life and doesn't know how to move forward.

Winston's character has suffered so far though. His storylines have been the worst of the main cast.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

pentyne posted:

Winston's character has suffered so far though. His storylines have been the worst of the main cast.

I disagree. I think not only are they the funniest ones, but they're also building toward something. All his storylines so far are about how isolated he is from the rest of the group. I think they're going to build some kind of story around that maybe even tie it into Coach coming back. At least based on three episodes worth of stories that what it seems like. I could be wrong of course but it just feels like they're intentionally keeping him separated from the rest for some reason.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Midnight City posted:

that rather arrogant intro (compared to Seinfeld's which has all the cast's own scenes in it) where it's just 3 dudes fawning all over her while she's singing a song about herself.

I'm thinking you've been watching a different intro than the one I've been watching. The guys are doing pretty much the exact opposite of fawning over her and actually seem to be pretty annoyed.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS

...! posted:

I'm thinking you've been watching a different intro than the one I've been watching. The guys are doing pretty much the exact opposite of fawning over her and actually seem to be pretty annoyed.

Hold on, you don't roll your eyes when you're fawning over someone? Man, I've been doing it super wrong.

kami
Feb 10, 2004

GATTACA!!
GATTACA!!

Midnight City posted:

I didn't actually start watching the show until after season two had finished and wasn't following the thread. What was the general opinion of Zooey Deschanel / Jess going into the first season?

Googling it shows she's accused of some weird trope but I don't think I've ever seen anything she was in previously so I don't think it would've been a bias coming into it.
You weren't the only one. I actually stopped watching weekly for a few weeks but caught up when word was that it was getting pretty good. The first episodes were so drat singy and awkward and blah.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
One of my favorite moments was Schmidt trying to relate his feelings of why he did what he did to Cece. While I was never fat, I definitely understand that feeling of "I am nothing" to "Oh my god, girls!?" I frankly thinks it gives him a lot of humanity, and I hope his insecurity is better explored.

But I do love him being pissed with pie on his face. I almost wished that he licked his face before leaving.

"I THINK HORSES COME FROM SPACE" "ME TOO!" was also gold.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

...! posted:

Sometimes they cut it so the "annoyed" part isn't included. Then again, sometimes it's cut to just be the "annoyed" part, so who knows?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The show is called New Girl not New Girl and Three Old Guys

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Inspector_71 posted:

Nick is becoming more and more Charlie with each passing day.

Honestly, I'm okay with that.

I'm not so much okay with Dickhead Schmidt this season though.

Democratic Pirate posted:

Hopefully this means more Jess and Cece scenes in the future. She better not disappear entirely.

They didn't have her in the group shot on the next week promo, so I hope so too :ohdear:

Sash! posted:

How old are you?

I went from despising Seinfeld when it aired to enjoying it in reruns. Now I'm pretty much indifferent about it though.

Midnight City posted:

It was pretty much a non-stop hate train for her before the show started and after people saw the pilot. Then it became a fantastic show a few episodes in and people started taking the show on its own merits.

raditts fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Oct 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uptown
May 16, 2009

Esroc posted:

I don't hate him. He did a terrible thing and is dealing with the emotional turmoil of realizing he hosed up big time. People make mistakes, and I'm sure he'll eventually accept that and grow as a character. Plus I doubt his whole "I'm gonna break you two up" thing was serious or will become a major plot point. He was speaking out of anger, lashing out because he's the type of guy who doesn't take responsibility right away. But he will, eventually.

:siren: E/N ALERT :siren: Please skip over this if you don't give a poo poo about my real world experience thoughts about fictional characters.

As I mentioned before, I have been cheated on the exact same was that CeCe and Elizabeth were cheated on. In my case it went on for a year and I was furious and devastated when I found out, as was his other girlfriend. She was in love with him, I was in love with him, and he "loved" both of us. After I recovered from the huge emotional trauma that it caused, about a year later, I found out that a friend of my boyfriend's was doing the exact same two-timing poo poo to two girls, one of whom I was friends with. I immediately gave him the ultimatum that he was going to tell her within the week, or I would. He has hated me ever since, 4 years and counting! I think that people who are so emotionally immature that they cheat often cannot take responsibility for their actions, and blame others. My friend (who is no longer my friend due to other factors blah blah blah) stayed with him, and even told me, "he doesn't want to blame himself for loving up, so all his anger is towards you now." I'm glad that Elizabeth smashed a pie in Schmidt's face and he really deserves to be unhappy whiles he emotionally matures and moves past being the douchebag who could finance my European vacation just from the jar.

In non e/n news, I absolutely adore CeCe and hope they start featuring her more in the context of "friends with Jess" again. Maybe Schmidt will date Nadia again!

I wasn't too thrilled with this episode, I found the Winston scenes really tacked-on, which sucks because I love him.

• Locked thread