Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I LOL'ed so loud at "If you think those shoes are brown, what color do you think you are?" that I woke up my cat and he looked at me funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I WILL SHRED MYSELF

soupcan58
Mar 13, 2008

You blew my mind, man!

I saw the passport shredding happening a mile away, but that didn't make me laugh any more quietly. Everyone else in the house hates me for that fact, too.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sayonara masturbation for the rest of my life.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Nice start to the season!

frontyardninja
Nov 5, 2005

Winston is one of my favorite characters out of all the shows I have ever watched. The biggest laughs from me all started with Winston. The hoodie as pants, puzzle songs and humming, the fixed passport. Felt good.

The Internet is scary-fast.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Corkscrew
May 20, 2001

Nothing happened. I'm Julius Pepperwood. Let it go.
That's for you to send your kids to college, or to send some fun up your nose. Your choice, bro!

Wasn't mile-a-minute laughs for me but honestly most of these episodes get better upon rewatch anyway. And Lamorne Morris straight-up kicked that chair. The fact that he stayed in-character was awesome.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
STOP IT! Nick is my bitch.

Great episode.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Poque posted:

STOP IT! Nick is my bitch.

Great episode.

What's a sissy?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Schmidt has the best subtle facial emotions.
"These are my best brown shoes." When he heard that, he rolled his eyes. Then he noticed their green and he just had to stare at them.

I really liked this colorblindness subplot. It was surprisingly authentic. Especially how he was in a crazy denial. I met someone this way once, it was even worse that time, because there was actually green text written on a grey stone. He asked 10 seperate people to read that before he could accept it.

Is green/brown-blindness actually a thing? These two are probably the ones you would see the most on a typical day.

futurememory
Oct 22, 2011

"You're a bad man! You're a VERY bad man!"
I'm not quite sure how Winston's colorblindedness could actually work logically. If the shade we know as "brown" was being referred by everyone around him as the word "green," wouldn't he have the two words and concepts just reversed in his head? He'd know Kermit, for example, was "green," but would perceive him as the color "brown."

There's definitely "red-green" colorblind ness, but usually that means that the two hues are indistinguishable from one another and typically both look like a brown color.

Sorry to go off a bit, the joke had me rolling, but this has been bothering me.

futurememory fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Sep 18, 2013

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
I'm guessing it's red-green color blindness. My brother has it, and he describes grass as "the same color as peanut butter".

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
Good episode, and the best writing for Winston since the show started.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

futurememory posted:

I'm not quite sure how Winston's colorblindedness could actually work logically. If the shade we know as "brown" was being referred by everyone around him as the word "green," wouldn't he have the two words and concepts just reversed in his head? He'd know Kermit, for example, was "green," but would perceive him as the color "brown."

There's definitely "red-green" colorblind ness, but usually that means that the two hues are indistinguishable from one another and typically both look like a brown color.

Sorry to go off a bit, the joke had me rolling, but this has been bothering me.

It's not easy being brown, man.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I was dieing laughing and empathizing with Winston because I learned that I was color blind in high school basically the same way. It's not something your usually conscious of.

I was playing a computer game where you had to match up connecting blocks of the same color and I kept trying to match up greens with yellows. My friend sitting next to me was looking at me like "what the gently caress are you stupid? those aren't the same color".

Just last year I joined my wife at a function after dressing myself and showed up wearing 2 colors that did not match at all...she was not happy.

futurememory
Oct 22, 2011

"You're a bad man! You're a VERY bad man!"

Ravel posted:

Good episode, and the best writing for Winston since the show started.

Agreed, I think that this year is going to be the Year of the Winston (1st season was definitely Schmidt's, and 2nd was Nick's). He deserves it after being so underutilized.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

raditts posted:

It's not easy being brown, man.

Wait, you mean Kermit was singing about himself?!? Man, I thought he just felt empathy for green people.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
Edit: nvm, video link wasn't working for me.

That was a hilarious season opener. Lots of laughs from me with the right amount of awwww moment with Jess' monologue.

My DVR cut off though, so I need to know what happened in the end tag. All I saw was Schmidt on the phone with Cece.

Tupping Liberty fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Sep 19, 2013

rileylolz
Apr 27, 2008

Tupping Liberty posted:

Edit: nvm, video link wasn't working for me.

That was a hilarious season opener. Lots of laughs from me with the right amount of awwww moment with Jess' monologue.

My DVR cut off though, so I need to know what happened in the end tag. All I saw was Schmidt on the phone with Cece.

He makes plans with Cici for that night, but the other girl (totally spacing on her name right now) calls and he trails off with "Let me check my schedule... you see there's a slight problem", or something to that effect.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

rileylolz posted:

He makes plans with Cici for that night, but the other girl (totally spacing on her name right now) calls and he trails off with "Let me check my schedule... you see there's a slight problem", or something to that effect.

You forgot the funniest part which is right at the end where Schmidt slams his body into his bed in frustration.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

I really enjoyed everything about the episode except Schmidt's solution to his feminine troubles.
It just seemed to cross the line for a little too much douchebaggery for me.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Just because you lob weird tics on a character, it doesn't make him funnier. It actually makes him more grating.

I think that Winston wasn't that funny this episode. The puzzle thing smacks of his bizarre approach to pranking that they foisted on him last season. I get that he isn't as instantly funny as the other castmembers, but I always found him funny as a wry observer of the other castmembers and and their inanities (kinda like Seinfeld). Making him go bananas about _________ inexplicably is a lazy way to get laughs. Hopefully they'll figure it out.

But otherwise really good start. A lot of set-up for the upcoming season (I did find the Schmidt stuff to be a little too conventionally sitcom-y for this smart show). And it involved heavily what might be my favorite couple on TV, Nick and Jess, and how hilarious their relationship is. More of that please.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

iostream.h posted:

I really enjoyed everything about the episode except Schmidt's solution to his feminine troubles.
It just seemed to cross the line for a little too much douchebaggery for me.

This. Also, it feels like a fairly inorganic plot, just to prolong that particular conflict and probably ultimately to dismantle both relationships so Schmidt can be single again. Which is fine, they had to do something...and having two of the show's main romantic arcs resolve at this point is probably not a good idea, in terms of maintaining tension.

My real issue is that Cece, as a primary cast member, is less connected to things than Winston outside of her romantic storyline. If the Schmidt / Cece relationship crumbles, I don't even see how she'll fit into the show since that dilemma has been the vast majority of her screentime outside of one or two episodes.

Xealot fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 19, 2013

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Xealot posted:

This. Also, it feels like a fairly inorganic plot, just to prolong that particular conflict and probably ultimately to dismantle both relationships so Schmidt can be single again. Which is fine, they had to do something...and having two of the show's main romantic arcs resolve at this point is probably not a good idea, in terms of maintaining tension.
I liked Elizabeth, it was probably Schmidt's last chance to re-learn organically how to be an human being. If they break up (which is probably inevitable because of his current douchebag actions) I fear they'll make him go Barney (from HIMYM): single until it stops being funny and then create a reason for character growth from thin air.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Nadia is a dangerous character because I want her to be in every single episode, but her almost random, sporadic appearances make her even funnier.

kami
Feb 10, 2004

GATTACA!!
GATTACA!!

Sash! posted:

Nadia is a dangerous character because I want her to be in every single episode, but her almost random, sporadic appearances make her even funnier.
Ice skating for fun, not to save life...

Easily my most forceful/uncomfortable snarf of all-time :(

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
I wasn't thrilled by the pilot of this show when it first premiered, so I mostly forgot about it. But I decided to give it another shot and ended up binging through the first two seasons of this show in about a day and a half. The first few episodes are a bit hard to get through, but man once it hits its stride it's one of the greatest sitcoms I've ever seen.

Did anyone else notice that Jess becomes an almost entirely different character by about 10 episodes into the first season? It's like Pilot Episode Jess is replaced by a new roommate who just happens to have the same name and appearance.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I think the writers realized that the ensemble as a whole is a lot stronger than a show about quirky hipster girl sings songs and the rest of the cast reacts. I'm sure they were also feeling around the actors' various strengths, which is why Schmidt got the big push as a character in the first season. Nick started hitting his stride around Fancyman, and well, Winston, here's hoping this is the year of Winston. (Not saying Winston isn't hilarious, but his character is like the puzzle he was putting together. The pieces are kinda forced together and we don't really have an idea of him besides that he's pretty weird!)

Rewatching the second season now and dammit Robbie better be back. Him and Nadia are my favorite recurring characters :3:

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 24, 2013

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

hope and vaseline posted:

I think the writers realized that the ensemble as a whole is a lot stronger than a show about quirky hipster girl sings songs and the rest of the cast reacts. I'm sure they were also feeling around the actors' various strengths, which is why Schmidt got the big push as a character in the first season. Nick started hitting his stride around Fancyman, and well, Winston, here's hoping this is the year of Winston. (Not saying Winston isn't hilarious, but his character is like the puzzle he was putting together. The pieces are kinda forced together and we don't really have an idea of him besides that he's pretty weird!)

Rewatching the second season now and dammit Robbie better be back. Him and Nadia are my favorite recurring characters :3:

While I agree that Winston is still an unestablished character, the moments of this show that have made me laugh the hardest have all involved him.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Yeah the scene where's he's wandering around in the street looking for his girlfriend's apartment is my favorite thing in the show

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

raditts posted:

While I agree that Winston is still an unestablished character, the moments of this show that have made me laugh the hardest have all involved him.

Winston's car, man. That was probably the moment I realized I really loved the show. He's had so many other highlights too. "I'm gonna hit your rear end with a ski... get some!" immediately comes to mind. Or Winston getting weird on drinks.

EDIT: Now I'm watching the Winston's car episode again, still amazing.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 24, 2013

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
My favorite Winston moment, before "I needed to sew your underwear to my underwear," was him singing Popular from Wicked in his car.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Mine will always be Winston convincing Schmidt to buy crack. Nothing like the feel of a fire, a fresh baked cookie and the sweet, sweet taste of crack in your lungs.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

raditts posted:

"Only my penis" might be one of the least likely ways anyone has ever responded to being asked if they are a virgin.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Sash! posted:

"Only my penis" might be one of the least likely ways anyone has ever responded to being asked if they are a virgin.

"Only my penis, baby, only my penis" *strokes bald chin*

Oh god I forgot how hilarious that episode was. I love what they did to their voices.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Tonight's a Winston-centric episode. Thank God, because I'm sick of him being backgrounded.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Azure_Horizon posted:

Tonight's a Winston-centric episode. Thank God, because I'm sick of him being backgrounded.

Hopefully they manage to do more than the underwhelming Shelby plot.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Hopefully they manage to do more than the underwhelming Shelby plot.

From preview pictures on FB... it look like he falls in love with a cat. I'm prepared for the weird to happen.

Stabitha
Mar 11, 2005

You lookin' at me? Don't.

Azure_Horizon posted:

From preview pictures on FB... it look like he falls in love with a cat. I'm prepared for the weird to happen.

He's going to become a crazy cat lady isn't he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I wanna put it on ya

Hi Angela!

• Locked thread