Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ash.W
Aug 2, 2004

bonk bonk

Deadpool posted:

Winston may be my favorite comedy character on TV. Everything he does or says is gold.

His reaction to Cece smashing the puzzle (after his line to Schmidt) made me laugh a LOT. I tried to make it a gif but they end up massive :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

What happened right at the end of last episode? My recording cut off with the gang looking repulsed. I'm gonna guess new cat licking Schmidt's nipples?

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Oasx posted:

I still hate the Nick and Jess relationship, i just think find them a bit boring now :/

I couldn't disagree more. The show was fairly obvious from the start about the sexual tension between Jess and Nick. But one thing I absolutely hate about sitcoms is when two characters that are obviously going to get together eventually take five seasons to do so. And by then you just don't care anymore.

Jess and Nick will probably break up sometime down the road, because sitcom. But I feel it's very refreshing that New Girl is getting the major character romance subplot out of the way so early. Rather than subjecting us to years of "will they, won't they."

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

Josh Lyman posted:

Why the black people gotta stand at the end? :colbert:

Why did you use a picture in the OP where the white people are in the middle and the two minorities are half cut out of the picture? :colbert:

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Oasx posted:

I still hate the Nick and Jess relationship, i just think find them a bit boring now :/

I thought I was the only one. Thank you. I hate it too.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Esroc posted:

I couldn't disagree more. The show was fairly obvious from the start about the sexual tension between Jess and Nick. But one thing I absolutely hate about sitcoms is when two characters that are obviously going to get together eventually take five seasons to do so. And by then you just don't care anymore.

Jess and Nick will probably break up sometime down the road, because sitcom. But I feel it's very refreshing that New Girl is getting the major character romance subplot out of the way so early. Rather than subjecting us to years of "will they, won't they."

My problem is mainly that Nick and Jess were funny own their own, together so far all their stories have been "Nick and Jess are so in love, look at them they are so cute!".
In most shows i just find it lessens things when two main characters get together (like has happened on Castle), and i would have preferred it happen in the last episode of the series, which hopefully is many years in the future

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I don't hate it, but I could see it starting to wear thin if all the plot involving them is also set around their relationship. Sometimes they just gotta be a couple while weird stuff is going on. The way they just resignedly got in the hot tub with the principal was hilarious.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Like Always Sunny said, its all about the will they or wont they. Once they do or dont it loses luster

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I was so convinced this would be the season where everyone started to get their poo poo together - Winston to keep up with...her, Schmidt realising what a douchebag he is thanks to Elizabeth, Nick stepping up and stopping being a man-child. It can still happen.

Maybe.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Oh my god this elvis funeral.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Winston to keep up with...her...

For some reason, I have it in my head that Winston's plot arc this season will be really self-aware and meta, and the re-introduction of Coach will pose an existential challenge.

Winston was invented as a replacement for Coach, so I can see the plot literalizing that insecurity as Winston fears Coach will take back his spot as the black friend in the loft. Basically like the It's Always Sunny episode where Charlie freaks out over Jason Sudeikis joining the gang.

My other wild speculation: Coach is the dude who was in Daisy's shower. He's taking over Winston's life, one step at a time.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Xealot posted:

My other wild speculation: Coach is the dude who was in Daisy's shower. He's taking over Winston's life, one step at a time.

Dem shoes too big for Mr. Jane Kerkovich-Williams.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Nick is a really annoying character to watch.

It doesn't help that I know a guy Nick whom I also used to live with whom is a bartender that is basically the same loving person.

loving Nick

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Conquistador posted:

It doesn't help that I know a guy Nick whom I also used to live with whom is a bartender that is basically the same loving person.

loving Nick

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Conquistador posted:

loving Nick

I suggest you start moonwalking out of this thread, son.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Haha, I like all the other people. I don't even like Nick, I just think he's crap and not good enough for Jess :colbert:

Also, wtf did they do with Olivia Munn. She was in there and like, cool, and then she just ended up becoming some sort of wacko gun nut thief

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Conquistador posted:

loving Nick

His shtick is getting tiresome.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I don't like the "OH I CANT TELL YOU MY FEELINGS" thing over and over when... he honestly doesn't have a problem showing how he feels about literally anything else ever.

Ahhhh I can't stand you Nick. Also, "I'm worried your dad doesn't like me because I'm irresponsible LETS STAY IN MEXICO"

E: I didn't mind Schmidt's two girl thing up until the very end where Cece, who is supposed to be really smart is just like "oh ok hehe so your ex that was just featured in a major decision as to whether you wanted to be with her or me is here, oh she works here? thats silly hehe"

I mean come on girl.

Which reminds me as well, that the whole "you must decide now!" thing was kind of dumb. I mean, a lot of stuff in this show is dumb in its own way but I thought that it was a bit jarring how they expected him to just have an answer immediately when neither of them can seem to make up their minds themselves.

Tom Brady fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Sep 27, 2013

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Azure_Horizon posted:

His shtick is getting tiresome.

Much like you're posting ha ha ha

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Ungratek posted:

Much like you're posting ha ha ha

The funniest part of this post is the grammar.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Azure_Horizon posted:

The funniest part of this post is the grammar.

No it aren't

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Conquistador posted:

I don't like the "OH I CANT TELL YOU MY FEELINGS" thing over and over when... he honestly doesn't have a problem showing how he feels about literally anything else ever.

Ahhhh I can't stand you Nick. Also, "I'm worried your dad doesn't like me because I'm irresponsible LETS STAY IN MEXICO"

E: I didn't mind Schmidt's two girl thing up until the very end where Cece, who is supposed to be really smart is just like "oh ok hehe so your ex that was just featured in a major decision as to whether you wanted to be with her or me is here, oh she works here? thats silly hehe"

I mean come on girl.

Which reminds me as well, that the whole "you must decide now!" thing was kind of dumb. I mean, a lot of stuff in this show is dumb in its own way but I thought that it was a bit jarring how they expected him to just have an answer immediately when neither of them can seem to make up their minds themselves.

I don't even get the Schmidt/Elizabeth thing in the first place. After everything he went through for CeCe it doesn't make any sense why he'd want to go back to an old girlfriend. This entire story arc seems more like he just wants to sleep with two women rather than he "loves them both." Which is quickly killing my love for the character.

And with Nick you're supposed to perceive him as an immature jackass. But with any luck Jess will help him get his life together. And thus, character development.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, I agree with the Elizabeth thing I just didn't want to write a wall of text that was only bitching.

Also, being an immature jackass is pretty much why I don't hang out with my RL friend Nick that I mentioned, it doesn't mean I'm going to find the character less annoying just because he is supposed to be annoying :)

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Esroc posted:

I don't even get the Schmidt/Elizabeth thing in the first place. After everything he went through for CeCe it doesn't make any sense why he'd want to go back to an old girlfriend.

Elizabeth is his link to his pre-douchebag fat boy life.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Esroc posted:

I don't even get the Schmidt/Elizabeth thing in the first place. After everything he went through for CeCe it doesn't make any sense why he'd want to go back to an old girlfriend. This entire story arc seems more like he just wants to sleep with two women rather than he "loves them both." Which is quickly killing my love for the character.

Schmidt is incredibly weak and codependent. Look at how much he needs Nick, how he falls to Winston when Nick is gone. How he put up with being the 'good natured' butt of all the jokes in college (and beyond.) He literally can't reject someone.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Looks like Damon Wayans, Jr. just got his own sitcom on FOX so I wouldn't count on him being on New Girl much besides the episodes they announced.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Nick rules and I will have no words to the contrary.

Also I choose to believe that guy really was Future-Nick

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Sash! posted:

Nick rules and I will have no words to the contrary.
Nick is a horrible mirror for me to look into. I love the show, but it gets physically painful sometimes.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

...! posted:

Looks like Damon Wayans, Jr. just got his own sitcom on FOX so I wouldn't count on him being on New Girl much besides the episodes they announced.

I'm glad for him, even though it would be great to have Coach more (assuming they bring him back in an entertaining way, and I'm confidant the will.)

Damon Wayans Jr. is just awesome, he deserves it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Tupping Liberty posted:

I'm glad for him, even though it would be great to have Coach more (assuming they bring him back in an entertaining way, and I'm confidant the will.)

Damon Wayans Jr. is just awesome, he deserves it.

It's weird how he looks exactly like Damon Wayans 20 years ago, before I knew he had a son I thought he'd decided to get back into TV and made some anti-aging deal with the devil.

It is odd how DW Sr. just pretty much vanished from acting after My Wife and Kids went off the air, did he just decide to retire or what?

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin

raditts posted:

It's weird how he looks exactly like Damon Wayans 20 years ago, before I knew he had a son I thought he'd decided to get back into TV and made some anti-aging deal with the devil.

It is odd how DW Sr. just pretty much vanished from acting after My Wife and Kids went off the air, did he just decide to retire or what?

He showed up as DW Jr.'s dad on an episode of Happy Endings, but hasn't done anything since then.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

I feel like the actors in this show are really funny, but the writers are kinda bad.

Oz posted:

He showed up as DW Jr.'s dad on an episode of Happy Endings, but hasn't done anything since then.

Only a few members of the Wayans family leave the family compound at any given time. The rest of them stay inside, counting their money and crafting jokes of varying levels of funniness.

Both Damon and Jr. are great, and I'll be really interested to see what they do with Coach.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
This show has basically taken 30 Rock's spot as "Best Network TV Joke Factory," which makes me confused as to why a lot of people seem to be focused on its characterization and plot progression. I first noticed this when I saw some people complaining about how Winston is ~too crazy~ now, but it seems like a lot of people are treating this more like HIMYM and less like Happy Endings, when I feel like it's a lot closer to the latter. Thinking that the Schmidt plotline is dragging the show down is one thing, but being concerned that it's not True Enough To His Character is weird to me

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I literally watched every episode in like a 2 day span, it made it pretty easier to spot inconsistencies and weird poo poo within their own writing structure

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

One of my favorite Winston/ensemble moments is when he's doing a dramatic reading of Z is for Zombie. I don't think the writers have lost that spark yet... We're only two episodes in for this season, so it's hard to judge.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Conquistador posted:

I literally watched every episode in like a 2 day span, it made it pretty easier to spot inconsistencies and weird poo poo within their own writing structure

Same here. I had a roughly 2 day binge of the first two seasons and it was really obvious that the writers were experimenting the entire time. It still seems that way, since Winston has gotten a bit crazier the past few episodes.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I'm gonna hit yo rear end with a ski!

Git some!

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

xbilkis posted:

This show has basically taken 30 Rock's spot as "Best Network TV Joke Factory," which makes me confused as to why a lot of people seem to be focused on its characterization and plot progression. I first noticed this when I saw some people complaining about how Winston is ~too crazy~ now, but it seems like a lot of people are treating this more like HIMYM and less like Happy Endings, when I feel like it's a lot closer to the latter. Thinking that the Schmidt plotline is dragging the show down is one thing, but being concerned that it's not True Enough To His Character is weird to me

I agree. I don't think I ever really care about bad plots or people acting off-character. I'm just in it for the jokes, and New Girl is the funniest show on TV in my opinion.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I did find Winston to be more bearable this ep, mainly because his comedy was actually coming from a real place (except for the cat thing, which honestly was just awkward for a large part of it). And the Schmidt stuff actually worked for me, inverting the comedic farce thing by having him get away with it but still feel lovely. I do feel bad for CeCe and Elizabeth, this plot has them coming across as total idiots and whose relevance to the show is all about reacting to Schmidt. In particular I miss CeCe's and Jess's relationship, which was always a lot of joy to watch.

Don't want to seem like miser, so I'll say that I did laugh a bunch during the ep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
I agree with the Cece-Jess stuff. I miss them, and the comedy that came out of such obviously different people being best friends.

• Locked thread