Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
I hate where this episode went for Jess and Nick. What a dumb pretext for a breakup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Coffee And Pie posted:

I'll be honest, I'm kind of okay with it, it's been a while since we've seen grumpy drunk Nick.

I'm tired of watching sad sacks get drunk on TV. This had better be a temporary thing, New Girl writers.:argh:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Sash! posted:

Hits too close to home?

Technically I'm not watching myself when I get drunk, so the joke's on you, fuckface! Ahahaha...oh God...:smithicide:

But yeah, still not happy with last night's episode. The way things played out seemed to completely ignore the last few months of character and relationship development we've seen between Nick and Jess. It hasn't even been two months since the "Prince" episode.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think everyone should actively be trying to forget the Prince episode. It was atrocious....except for Fire and Ice. Warm water was funny.

God will forgive you of your error here; history will not.:colbert:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

If the trained butterfly didn't absolutely make that episode for you, there is no way you weren't horrifically abused as a child.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

What a lackluster ending to a lackluster season. Man, I hope next season is a return to form.

I haven't gotten around to seeing the last two episodes, and I think I'm going to read some reviews when next season starts before actually watching it. I'm still kind of nauseated with how the writers handled the breakup. It's one thing to end a relationship that your audience is invested in; it's quite another to just pull it out of their asses without any actual buildup, over a dumb conflict that a high school relationship could have withstood. I'm sure I'll still find a lot of it funny, but I don't think the writers have had any clue about what they're doing for most of this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inkspot posted:

Jess has completed her character arc. She wanted a position of authority in a school, but was too "free-spirited" to get one. Now that the guys have become the major source of comedy, she's been forced into the role of straight man, which allowed her to accomplish her goals, but doesn't really work for her as a character or for Zooey Deschanel as an actress.

Geniasis posted:

Yeah, I was trying to put my finger on it, but you've gotten it dead on. In the earlier episodes, she was the crazy one and for the most part the guys were pretty normal. I think the show really came into its own as the show became more of an ensemble piece and the guys got to be the comedy too while her MPDG got toned down, but I think it might have swung too far the other way

Yep, well-put, both of you. It's extremely ironic that the show has managed to so noticeably outgrow its main character and original conceit, but that seems to be what's happened. Which I don't think is the fault of Jess as a character or Deschanel as an actress - I still really like both, even though the breakup episode was bullshit. But the other characters have simply increased so much in value in a relatively short period of time.

• Locked thread