Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

iostream.h posted:

I really enjoyed everything about the episode except Schmidt's solution to his feminine troubles.
It just seemed to cross the line for a little too much douchebaggery for me.

This. Also, it feels like a fairly inorganic plot, just to prolong that particular conflict and probably ultimately to dismantle both relationships so Schmidt can be single again. Which is fine, they had to do something...and having two of the show's main romantic arcs resolve at this point is probably not a good idea, in terms of maintaining tension.

My real issue is that Cece, as a primary cast member, is less connected to things than Winston outside of her romantic storyline. If the Schmidt / Cece relationship crumbles, I don't even see how she'll fit into the show since that dilemma has been the vast majority of her screentime outside of one or two episodes.

Xealot fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Winston to keep up with...her...

For some reason, I have it in my head that Winston's plot arc this season will be really self-aware and meta, and the re-introduction of Coach will pose an existential challenge.

Winston was invented as a replacement for Coach, so I can see the plot literalizing that insecurity as Winston fears Coach will take back his spot as the black friend in the loft. Basically like the It's Always Sunny episode where Charlie freaks out over Jason Sudeikis joining the gang.

My other wild speculation: Coach is the dude who was in Daisy's shower. He's taking over Winston's life, one step at a time.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Sash! posted:

I'm confused. This is like saying that you thought Seinfeld was too much about Jerry Seinfeld.

I get your point, but to be fair, Jerry was also the most boring character on Seinfeld. It was all about George.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

tin can made man posted:

And with this most recent episode, not only is his new flame someone who looks Human 30s and not Hollywood 30s, but he's attracted to her because of her personality, and not some contrived "Stifler's Mom" situation. He's a walking joke machine most of the time, but it is interesting how Winson is having these fairly honest relationships compared to the sitcommy excess of Schmidt and Cece's Ross/Rachael plot and Jess and Nick's "well of course they got together, are you at all loving surprised?" journey.

Really? This pet-hoarding bus driver who abuses weird prescription drugs strikes you as a more honest or realistic romantic partner? Elizabeth was their stab at honest romance with a real, normal girl. I don't know what this last episode was going for.

I'm just annoyed this season, though, because Lamorne Morris has great comedic talent and is still being thrown into these unfocused, ancillary plot threads where it feels wasted. Give him a real purpose. Goddamn.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Tupping Liberty posted:

Fun episode, I liked the background stories. But, it was a hard episode to watch as a teacher. Jess, don't go to the dark side! No teacher who actually wanted to be a teacher would be an admin.

I don't know, I've met people who've worked as teachers in low-income districts who did this exact thing. They went into teaching to teach, then flipped out over the extreme bureaucratic negligence and became admins to try and rectify it.

What I *don't* buy is that Nick passed the CA bar exam despite dropping out of law school and giving up all ambition for law. The bar sounds crazy difficult for people who actually *do* want to become lawyers. It's like those shows/movies set in high schools where slacker characters surprise everyone by getting into Princeton or Yale. No, they didn't. Not because they're not smart, but because they didn't play the admissions game

SO ANGRY ABOUT THIS SITCOM, apparently.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Edit: ^^ Apparently we share an identical opinion. ^^

Radio Nowhere posted:

Maybe it was Evan Williams?

A valid theory.

I have to admit that I don't like Coach. I keep hoping he'll be Brad from Happy Endings, and he's simply not, and it makes me sad. (Also, Damon Wayans, Sr., did depict his dad on Happy Endings, for the poster above me.)

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Coffee And Pie posted:

All this talk reminds me of that episode of How I Met Your Mother, where they pitch in to buy the $2500 bottle of scotch, and they all come to the agreement they can't tell the difference between it and a $50 bottle of scotch

Pretty much. Give me a bottle of booze priced over $100 and it's like a dog staring at a supernova. Meanwhile, the difference between a lowest tier bourbon and something excellent like Bulleit is a mere $10-$15. You can definitely taste the difference there.

There is one exception: a friend was gifted some bottle of Jefferson's Presidential Select (a premium small batch of Jefferson's Reserve, that in this instance was aged 30 years and cost like $250 a bottle.) That poo poo was magical. Too bad I will never spend $250 on a bottle of bourbon, but that was just....gently caress.

My pedantic gripe: when Schmidt calls Cece's attempt to reach for vermouth "insanity." It's called a Manhattan. And it may not be an Old Fashioned, but it is not insane. :colbert:

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Irish Joe posted:

Prince is more of a gen x/baby boomer thing.

GenX, yes. Baby boomer, definitely not. I'd say peak Prince popularity was 1983 - 1992, when most GenXers were early-to-mid teens and most boomers were in their 30's or 40's. But that still only matters so much, because he's been releasing music steadily ever since.

Irish Joe posted:

Yeah. Personally, I'd rather talk to someone making music now than someone who made music fifty years ago. McCartney has been around so long that everything he has to say about his life, his music and his philosophy is available 24 hours a day on Youtube. I'd be much more interested in talking to an Adele or a Ke$ha and learning what they think about the music they're creating now and the music they will create in the future. Prince is a relic. He's kitsch. There's no value in hanging out with him besides the story, and the story doesn't interest me.

I realize this is unpopular, but I kind of agree. Specifically the way we fetishize 60's-era pop consumed by baby boomers. I mean, yes, I get it: the Beatles were great. Bob Dylan was great. Let's stop celebrating the youth culture of people now in their 60's and focus on the intervening several decades of pop culture that has happened since. Not that I want to draw a quality comparison between the Beatles and someone like Kesha, but we have certainly depleted every resource from the 60's mine by now.

Though, I don't think Prince is remotely a historical relic in the way a McCartney is. Firstly, as has been said, Prince is actually still prolific and innovative today even if he isn't a new artist. And secondly, I don't think Prince was ever like the Beatles within pop culture, in that he never quite "influenced the zeitgeist" in the way his early contemporaries like Michael Jackson or Madonna or even George Michael ever did. He was super popular, but always kind of a strange stylistic outlier that was really difficult to copy or understand. In this way, I view him as more of a pop cultural anomaly, like the Talking Heads or Tom Waits. They're singular performers that just exist in their own insular realities. Basically, Prince is the only Prince, in a way that feels (to me, at least) kind of monolithic and ahistorical.

That said, it feels totally realistic to me that both Nick and Jess would have strong attachments to Prince from their youth. They're supposed to be in their early 30's; they'd have been on the young side for him in the 90's, but who actually only listened to new release music when they were in middle and high school?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

hope and vaseline posted:

http://www.avclub.com/article/damon-wayans-jr-taking-another-crack-at-sitcoms-wi-103537

Haven't heard anything new from that in a while. The premise sounds kind of awful though, and I wouldn't be upset if it didn't get picked up if he could be a regular in New Girl.

I almost don't want him on New Girl, because they really don't know what to do with him. Or Winston, frankly. Wayans is goddamn awesome in pretty much everything I've seen him in, so pretty much I think he deserves a role that does him justice.

Mostly, it blows my mind that Damon Wayans,Jr. is old enough to exist. He looks the same age as his dad when he was on In Living Color...and I feel like I watched that show 10 years ago. But it was 25 years ago. And what was I doing watching In Living Color? I was a 6-10 year old white kid when that aired. I'm sure I didn't understand those LA Riots jokes.

• Locked thread