Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Brooklyn Nine-Nine is FOX's latest successful comedy newcomer, quickly joining New Girl both in timeslot and critical acclaim. All Fox needs to do at this point is find two more comedies (and from what I hear, Enlisted is shaping up to be one of them!) and it's got a monster comedy night on its hands.

But enough about the meta, what's so special about this show that it :siren: won the Golden Globe for Best Comedy Series:siren:?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJEvCEEINUA

Put simply, Brooklyn Nine-Nine cheated. Most shows that are remembered fondly took a while to find a chemistry that really gelled. Parks and Recreation had to dump Mark Brandanaquits, Newhart slowly got weirder as it went along (in all the best ways), and 30 Rock Season 1 just downright feels WEIRD compared to its later seasons. Brooklyn Nine-Nine skipped that. From the word go, the cast and writing have been rock-solid, and the whole world feels lived-in already. It takes no time at all for you to be familiar enough with the characters that the humor can just as easily be character-based as gag-based.

That's not to say it's bad at gags, either. One of the show's better aspects that doesn't get a lot of attention is that while it is, ostensibly, a workplace comedy, they haven't taken the tack 30 Rock eventually did, where you start to wonder whether or not anyone at this workplace actually works anymore. Instead, the case or cases of the day weave throughout the storylines, providing springboards for other humor while being funny in and of themselves. Brooklyn Nine-Nine is not a bleak Law and Order show. One recent episode focused on tracking down a man known only as The Pontiac Bandit. Three guesses what he steals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BRxsfw7FsA

Andy Samberg and Andre Braugher are, nominally, the stars of the show. Andy Samberg (Jake Peralta)'s wackiness is definitely on display, but leavened with a clear desire to, above all else, catch the bad guys. It naturally butts right up against Andre Braugher's absolutely delightful dry reactions to everything. As Captain Ray Holt, he turns the no-nonsense captain archetype on its ear by having fantastic comedic timing, and being just as liable to crack a joke, in his way, as anyone else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qAWEJtpl2g

The rest of the force is just as fun to watch. Melissa Fumero (Amy Santiago) , Terry Crews (Terry Jeffords), Stephanie Beatriz (Rosa Diaz) and Joe Lo Truglio (Charles Boyle) each bring their own flavor as fellow detectives in the Nine-Nine:

Santiago: The competitive over-achiever with the world's worst attempts at brown-nosing.
Boyle: The doofy foodie who can show up when it counts, but spends most of his time being adorable.
Diaz: The tough-as-nails, private detective (literally) who kicks anyone's rear end.
Terry: Big guy with a bigger heart, his daughers have become his purpose in life, leaving him too scared to properly shoot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=167vYF2zpv0

Chelsea Peretti floats around as Gina Linetti, the world's most sarcastic and least useful assistant this side of April Ludgate. It becomes clear fairly early on that she's not actually crazy, she just loves being a dick to people.

Is that not enough for you? How about how Brooklyn Nine-Nine's cast is one of the most diverse out there right now? It's a show set in New York, and unlike certain *cough* other New York set shows that have *cough* girls in them, this one properly represents a slice of everything. In what easily could've been an all-white office, we have a Jew, two Latinas, a black man, and a black GAY man occupying the same place.

Holt's homosexuality is actually quite well handled; it's explained that the reason he's tough on his people is because he's fought for decades to get his own command, and he wants it to be beyond reproach. He wants the best because he's trying to trailblaze for the future, but smartly, the show doesn't harp on this point. Outside of references to "my husband", Holt's being gay does not completely consume him as a person or as a personality, and the same applies to the other cast members. All of it's treated as just something that happens to be there, rather than a character trait to be exploited.

But enough SJW nonsense. The short version of this post is as follows:

Brooklyn Nine-Nine is a fantastic comedy with an ensemble that somehow emerged fully-formed and fully-gelled from the get-go. It's equal parts hilarious and heartfelt, and deserves way more attention that it's getting. Watch it, god dammit.

Celery Jello fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

This is the only new show I was particularly looking forward to apart from Shield. Pity they'll be airing at the same time. It's also a pity that it's being paired with what appears to be the worst new show of the season.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I have no idea why I'm so interested in this show, but here I am. I don't even know much of Samberg's work, other than the fact that he was on SNL.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I guess we can say titties on broadcast TV now.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
I'm quite enjoying this thus far.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Bill Hader both ruined any expectations I had for this show (because "ugh, Andy Samberg") and made the pilot must-watch TV for me. I really hope this is good; I love Parks & Rec too much to question Michael Schur.

The cutaways and montages are working really well so far, I have to say.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

This is pretty good so far.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
It's rather stereotypical writing right now, I'm watching the premiere. I like Terry Cruise though.

I don't know why people think it's funny, there's been some good scenes but it's not outrageously funny or anything.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Hollis posted:

I don't know why people think it's funny, there's been some good scenes but it's not outrageously funny or anything.
That's the impression that I get too. It's not as good as the critics are making it out to be, but I'm still keeping it on Fox.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Fred Armisen!

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Hollis posted:

I can't think of too many pilots that have been hysterically funny but this one has gotten some good laughs out of me. I'm definitely on board for the season.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
It's working well as a pilot- I know and like the characters and the dynamics they have going.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Compared to the pilots for The Office and Parks and Recreation (other Mike Schur shows), this is the best of the field.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Nice underwear.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
manscaping

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

That last bit was the best part. I can see this going places.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

There's plenty of fodder here for the comedic stylings of the different cast members, and the radio static cuts to flashbacks are a fine way to build the comedic cop motif, though I feel being tasked to find an audience on FOX before it gets into a stride will ultimately best it. But as far as comedy pilots go, this is one of the best in a long time.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I gotta say I actually enjoyed this pilot. Plus, Rosa is super hot to me for some reason and I would totally let her intimidate me.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
I was honestly quite impressed. It's definitely one of the best comedy pilots in recent memory, and earned a spot in my DVR.

Andre Braugher provides a perfect counterweight to Samberg's (honestly somewhat muted) childishness, and the rest of the cast is great, too.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Is there an encore showing this week at all? My wife somehow erased everything scheduled to record on the DVR and I missed it

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Mo0 posted:

I was honestly quite impressed. It's definitely one of the best comedy pilots in recent memory, and earned a spot in my DVR.

Andre Braugher provides a perfect counterweight to Samberg's (honestly somewhat muted) childishness, and the rest of the cast is great, too.

Yep. Pretty laid back all around, Samberg wasn't TOO Samberg, solid cast, I laughed a bit. I'm adding it to my schedule.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I thought it was a very good pilot. Pilots are very rarely exceptional; they exist to introduce us to the premise and cast. It's a very good cast, with a good deal of them having excellent comedy chops, plus Andre Braugher! It's interesting to see him here. He's a fantastic dramatic actor, but remember, comedy is the hard one.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
I am not sure why but the biggest laugh in the pilot for me was The Disco Strangler. especially the reveal that he used a kitschy light-up yo-yo as a garrote

Definitely following this for the next few episodes.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
If the pilot is the worst episode, the will be enjoyable.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

Actually really liked it and usually pilots are terrible. Im in on the series now.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
I liked it, had me smiling quite a bit and a couple of laugh out loud moments. I get a "Parks and Rec" vibe from the show and I think it can end up being a strong character-based workplace comedy.

Beardless Riker
Apr 14, 2005

I wasn't expecting much from this to be honest and I was pleasantly surprised. I love JoeLo and Chelsea Peretti consistently makes me laugh on the CBB podcast, especially farts and procreation obviously. I was fully expecting to be let down all across the board and ended up really having a decent time watching this, especially for a network show. I'll certainly watch again next week.

e: this is fairly high praise for me

Beardless Riker fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Sep 18, 2013

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
The "I am a bad detective!" line got a good chuckle out of me, but otherwise this show mostly just made me miss Reno 9-1-1.

I'll probably keep watching it though - I like dopey cop comedies apparently. That MTV one Death Valley was also really good.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Love love love this show and everyone involved. Please god let it get a long, healthy life.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah that was really fun, expectations were high due to cast/crew but that was as solid a pilot as you could expect. Hopefully it'll pick up an audience now, and the toxicity of Dads (which I haven't seen yet, admittedly) doesn't put people off. Already my favourite comedy of the block for sure.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
Just watched it and caught myself laughing a few times. I'm in for the season pass.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I thought it was pretty good. Got some decent laughs, especially in the last scene. I am going to try and stay on board for the season.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

That was pretty good! Good cast and some decent laughs. Better than I expected from the first episode, so I'm in for the long haul.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
2.5 with adults 18-49; by some miracle it actually beat Dads.

Both of those are gonna be iffy next week, going up against SHIELD and NCIS, but it's a lot better than I expected.

sandworms
Sep 22, 2010

I liked this more than I thought I would. I'm in.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Manos del Sino posted:

The "I am a bad detective!" line got a good chuckle out of me, but otherwise this show mostly just made me miss Reno 9-1-1.
Speaking of that show, I'm pretty sure the blonde cop is the mother on The Goldbergs, the other network show that I want to see this season (mainly because I'm a sucker for Jewish families on TV).

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

big twinkie posted:

I liked this more than I thought I would. I'm in.

This should pretty much be the title for any review of this show. My girlfriend immediately nose snarled (understandably so) when I asked if she wanted to watch the new Samberg comedy (we didn't like Cuckoo), but it was actually pretty drat enjoyable.

It was like watching Galaxy Quest for the first time. By all means a Tim Allen sci-fi comedy should be horrible and yet it had charm. I can say the same about this pilot episode of B99.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Haha I am down but I feel like they're forcing an Aubrey Plaza type character on that Diaz gal way too hard, not a fan of her so far

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
The premiere was low key and anchored with some clunky expository necessity, but I'm super hyped for this thing going forward. Between its cast and the creative pedigree of the staff, this character comedy has nowhere to go but up-up-UP!

The thread undoubtedly knows the P&R connection thus far, but were you aware that this show has Phil Lord & Christopher Miller as exec producers as well? These guys are the fathers of Clone High! And, uh, intense involvement in 21 Jump Street and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (the former was actually funny!!). I've been following their progress since CH, I'm excited whenever I spot them on a new comedy.

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Conquistador posted:

Haha I am down but I feel like they're forcing an Aubrey Plaza type character on that Diaz gal way too hard, not a fan of her so far

Eh, at Diaz isn't some deadpan snarker, she just is a deadpan hardass.

• Locked thread