Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

jarofpiss posted:

i need some really good (ie heavy) tabletop trees for dnd. i will craft if i have to but i would prefer just to buy them and paint them. i'm tempted by the dwarven forge stuff, they look like what i want, but i don't want to have to buy the base tiles to populate a forest and i don't want to spend $2000 to do it. any suggestions?

edit: i have a couple ender 3s so i can print if that's the best option

Danny the 3d printing dm had some neat ones where the canopy is a separate piece, with enough room to hide a mini on the trunk underneath

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Sort of cross posting this from the Goonhammer Necromunda discord:

I got a big job lot of plastic GW terrain recently, and it included a few of these Sector Mechanicus doohickies:

So I like the look of them when painted, but they don't add much LoS blocking to the board and something about their footprint being smaller than the terrain itself just bothers me. I figured they would be better horizontal, but that still doesn't add much except a thing to block LoS and walk around.

So I made some little platforms by fastening a pipe terminal piece to the top and then gluing a walkway piece to the bottom of the pipe. The thing is supported by some old flying buttress bits, cut down to fit. Surprisingly sturdy although I worry the buttresses might snap when being stored.

Hopefully this is a more practical bit of gaming terrain, models can climb on them, hide behind them or even under them. I could use blu-tac or similar to connect the two pieces with a length of pipe, or connect them to other walkways - I managed to make them the same height as a single storey of Zone Mortalis terrain.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Genghis Cohen posted:

Sort of cross posting this from the Goonhammer Necromunda discord:

I got a big job lot of plastic GW terrain recently, and it included a few of these Sector Mechanicus doohickies:

So I like the look of them when painted, but they don't add much LoS blocking to the board and something about their footprint being smaller than the terrain itself just bothers me. I figured they would be better horizontal, but that still doesn't add much except a thing to block LoS and walk around.

So I made some little platforms by fastening a pipe terminal piece to the top and then gluing a walkway piece to the bottom of the pipe. The thing is supported by some old flying buttress bits, cut down to fit. Surprisingly sturdy although I worry the buttresses might snap when being stored.

Hopefully this is a more practical bit of gaming terrain, models can climb on them, hide behind them or even under them. I could use blu-tac or similar to connect the two pieces with a length of pipe, or connect them to other walkways - I managed to make them the same height as a single storey of Zone Mortalis terrain.

These look great, and you're totally right - they seem way more useful horizontally, and being able to be climbed on and interacted with is much more interesting than just a silo tower

Gentleman Blogger
Sep 19, 2003

directions make no sense in the grand scheme of things.
Crossposting from the painting thread, because I actually MET THIS GOON IN THIS THREAD:

I've never really spoken here about this, but I had a fellow goon, A Mean Cow, aka 3T Studios, aka [REDACTED] from Arizona, make me a sweet loving stage for my GWAR Miniature Game minis, which I had professionally painted. I paid him in full, and even got completion photos from him

but I never got my stage. Apparently he had a breakdown or something? And a bunch of other excuses? I'm ok with him needing time to address his mental health, and he even reached back out after he had lost access to his work email, and like, all his poo poo had fallen apart, but he never shipped me anything. I even bought a bunch of other scenery off him at the time to help his old lady get over the flu or something, some kinda help out. I'm not even mad at this point, because it's been a few years now. (I started in 2018 trying to get it, he was done by mid that year, by Jan 2019, I heard from him one last time, saying he'd get it crated and shipped, and that was it.) I'm out 600 to him for custom work I never saw. But it would have been sick as gently caress to have as a companion piece to the minis, which are rare and expensive.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Feb 5, 2021

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

I have a big 3d printed dice tower skull that misprinted and I want to make a really killer piece of terrain out of it. Thinking out turning it into a watchtower?

Any good info on fleshing out a tower materially? Haven't done too much terrain building. I have some sheets of foam core, some cardboard, and access to a filament/resin printer. Happy to go buy materials or whatever, but I'd love if I can do it via a Michaels trip rather than necessarily a speciality train place

Left is a quick sand and a really quick paintjob (still need to finish basing). I plan on sanding the new one, but is there anything that can be done to give the bulk a a nice texture on the cheap?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

w00tmonger posted:

I have a big 3d printed dice tower skull that misprinted and I want to make a really killer piece of terrain out of it. Thinking out turning it into a watchtower?

Any good info on fleshing out a tower materially? Haven't done too much terrain building. I have some sheets of foam core, some cardboard, and access to a filament/resin printer. Happy to go buy materials or whatever, but I'd love if I can do it via a Michaels trip rather than necessarily a speciality train place

Left is a quick sand and a really quick paintjob (still need to finish basing). I plan on sanding the new one, but is there anything that can be done to give the bulk a a nice texture on the cheap?

these look great, that is an awesome print. is this just an FDM 3d printer of some kind?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

punishedkissinger posted:

these look great, that is an awesome print. is this just an FDM 3d printer of some kind?

Just a cheap as gently caress ender 3. Model on the right ran out of filament and ijust pulled it instead of trying to continue. I have a resin. Printer too a d it's good for smaller stuff but for terrain scale the FDM is really appropriate

If anyone's ever looked at dipping into 3d printing for hobbies, we're kind of in a golden age right now

Edit: progress shots. How should I finish the foam core? Especially the edges?

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Feb 5, 2021

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

w00tmonger posted:

What texture are you looking for? Gesso is good for line filling, and can be stuccoed a little bit/ Sand/polyfilla/pva is also a nice strong mix.

Also, thats a lot of infill! is that 10%? 20? I find 5% is plenty for most things!

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Grey Hunter posted:

What texture are you looking for? Gesso is good for line filling, and can be stuccoed a little bit/ Sand/polyfilla/pva is also a nice strong mix.

Also, thats a lot of infill! is that 10%? 20? I find 5% is plenty for most things!

15 and yeah it was too much. It ws a commission for someone that failed so I'm making due. Just want to give it a bit of an aged look and guide any really obvious lines. The Sand and primer helps a ton anyways but I wanted to up my game

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

w00tmonger posted:

There are spray primers at most auto stores that have a scratch filler, or "high-build", formula, which are specifically designed for filling in small imperfections in the surface. That would be a good place to start, it should even out the surface to lower, maybe even eliminate, the need for much sanding.

Dupli-color has a few varieties. If you go that route, I would do some test pieces on waste prints first. Sometimes filler/primers can be odd formulations, and I don't necessarily know how they'd react on 3D print material.

https://www.duplicolor.com/product/2-in-1-hi-build-primer/
https://www.duplicolor.com/product/filler-primer/
https://www.duplicolor.com/product/professional-filler-primer/

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Progress pics on what I think is going to be a wizard tower

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

already looks incredible! can't wait to see the end result

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
I'm thinking about building a terrain set for 40k based kind of on a Tyranids-version of Aliens LV-426 colony. I'm looking in particular at using GW's Vertigus set (minus the cardboard sheets) and some of the Manufactorum pieces. Are there any companies that make similar aesthetics like this, a ruined industrial area? 3D printed are also fine. I'm not really sure where to start, as I've never built terrain before.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

SERPUS posted:

I'm thinking about building a terrain set for 40k based kind of on a Tyranids-version of Aliens LV-426 colony. I'm looking in particular at using GW's Vertigus set (minus the cardboard sheets) and some of the Manufactorum pieces. Are there any companies that make similar aesthetics like this, a ruined industrial area? 3D printed are also fine. I'm not really sure where to start, as I've never built terrain before.

Behold: https://lv427-designs.com/

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Hi thread! I'm crossposting this from the Scale Modeling thread in HCH.

I've recently become interested in landscape modeling of strange alien planets, basically I want to move on from drawing 2d landscapes to creating actual physical dioramas along the same lines, but I'm having a hard time finding things like ground cover in alien/unnatural colors. There are some rad pieces of scenery I want to use linked in the OP (particularly on Armorcast), but does anyone have suggestions for where to buy or how to make something like Woodland Scenics Ground Cover or Static Grass in unnatural colors like blue or purple or red?

Someone in the HCH thread recommended Gamers Grass for alien bushes and tufts and they are basically perfect as bushes and tufts. My current thought is that I could probably just use scissors to cut the bottom off of them to create loose grass but that seems like it would be cost prohibitive with how much ground cover I need. I can also most likely get some good mileage out of Woodland Scenics Fall colors or floral coverings but those are all limited to oranges/yellows/reds and I would love some, you know, hot pink and purple grass, or teal/blue bushes or whatever.

I figure I'm going to be doing lots of painting or airbrushing one way or another, and someone in HCH recommended airbrushing regular green ground cover which sounds completely workable, but in a perfect world I would have the ground cover colored before applying it to the model so that I could layer the colors, and I'm not sure how I could do that without the pieces all sticking together.

Is there any manufacturer of mini-landscaping supplies that's easy to work with for custom orders or offers customizable products?

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 22, 2021

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Seems like this is pretty close to what I think you are asking for.

http://pabloelmarques.com/tienda/en/27-alien-grass

Depending on what the scale goons suggest, there is also really short flock or crushed sponge like the flock you used to get in the 80s-90s that car modelers use to make scale velvet or plush car interiors that might work for more mossy or fungi-type growth.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

deep dish peat moss posted:

Hi thread! I'm crossposting this from the Scale Modeling thread in HCH.

I've recently become interested in landscape modeling of strange alien planets, basically I want to move on from drawing 2d landscapes to creating actual physical dioramas along the same lines, but I'm having a hard time finding things like ground cover in alien/unnatural colors. There are some rad pieces of scenery I want to use linked in the OP (particularly on Armorcast), but does anyone have suggestions for where to buy or how to make something like Woodland Scenics Ground Cover or Static Grass in unnatural colors like blue or purple or red?

Someone in the HCH thread recommended Gamers Grass for alien bushes and tufts and they are basically perfect as bushes and tufts. My current thought is that I could probably just use scissors to cut the bottom off of them to create loose grass but that seems like it would be cost prohibitive with how much ground cover I need. I can also most likely get some good mileage out of Woodland Scenics Fall colors or floral coverings but those are all limited to oranges/yellows/reds and I would love some, you know, hot pink and purple grass, or teal/blue bushes or whatever.

I figure I'm going to be doing lots of painting or airbrushing one way or another, and someone in HCH recommended airbrushing regular green ground cover which sounds completely workable, but in a perfect world I would have the ground cover colored before applying it to the model so that I could layer the colors, and I'm not sure how I could do that without the pieces all sticking together.

Flock ground cover is just sawdust (or ground up upholstery foam/sponge, get some of that and put it through a blender and use instead of sawdust if you prefer) mixed with paint, allowed to dry and sieved. Most people buy premade for convenience (because most of the time people are looking for shades of green) but there are plenty tutorials out there for making your own. Heres a tutorial from Geek Gaming Scenics (formerly Lukes APS) as its one I have to hand, but there are plenty of others out there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mKGxEuXHLM&t=324s It should be queued up to when he actually starts making it. Just replace the green paint with whatever colour you fancy.

And in my recommendations when I looked at that there was a video where some guy makes his own static grass, sort of, out of cutting up hemp string (you know the kind of cheap hairy twine you get?) Looks more labour intensive, but might be worth a go. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8GylIKlGTs

The scale modelling guys will probably have better ideas tbh, a lot of wargaming scenery techniques are basically "Model train techniques simplified to be good enough for wargaming".

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
I had an pre-conceived notion what a guy doing a terrain tutorial video would look like. Boy was I wrong.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Terrain Tutor is one of my favorites. The dude is chill and super easy to listen to. https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTerrainTutor

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Floppychop posted:

Terrain Tutor is one of my favorites. The dude is chill and super easy to listen to. https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTerrainTutor

Mel is always worth a recommendation! I backed his book on kickstarter, and its a good read too.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Floppychop posted:

Does he still slurp constantly when he talks? His stuff slurp is good but slurp is rather slurp offputting.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I just came across Studson Studio, who builds 28mm scale models of different buildings from games, or his childhood home as the Visitor Center from Jurassic Park with bonus footage of his and his siblings' and cousins' childhood reshoot of the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S941y34-AYA

Only watch the Pokecenter one if you can handle Pokemon puns.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Z the IVth posted:

Does he still slurp constantly when he talks? His stuff slurp is good but slurp is rather slurp offputting.

I don't think I've ever noticed it before, but here's a recent video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ_UvVHn6JA You can hear him inhaling occasionally, but no slurp

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I just got a resin printer and I'm stoked to see how it can help me with terrain. Post your favorites here!

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Z the IVth posted:

Ah, I'm not alone. I had to stop watching his stuff because of this.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Been meaning to postbthis bad boy

Bonus quickly painted tomb

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Looking really good! You inspired me to do something similar with some plastic skulls I bought and a bird light tower I have sitting around!

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone used Sanded Grout to make roads? I've been testing it out after watching a couple videos and I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or what.

My process is adding watered down PVA glue to my MDF road sections then sprinkling the sanded grout over top. I then wet that with wet water and move watered down PVA glue and sprinkled a little more on top. Once that was dry I then sealed the entire road sections with a coat of watered down mod podge to seal it, but I'm finding the sanded grout is still coming off a bit when I touch it. It doesn't come off at all when I bang it against the table, but it comes off easily when I touch it with my finger.

Any ideas? Is this normal?

Here are some photos of my process.

Update: I got it to stick. Ended up adding a heavy layer of watered down mod podge. Here's where I ended up after adding some basing.

Zuul the Cat fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 22, 2021

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

SiKboy posted:

Flock ground cover is just sawdust (or ground up upholstery foam/sponge, get some of that and put it through a blender and use instead of sawdust if you prefer) mixed with paint, allowed to dry and sieved. Most people buy premade for convenience (because most of the time people are looking for shades of green) but there are plenty tutorials out there for making your own. Heres a tutorial from Geek Gaming Scenics (formerly Lukes APS) as its one I have to hand, but there are plenty of others out there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mKGxEuXHLM&t=324s It should be queued up to when he actually starts making it. Just replace the green paint with whatever colour you fancy.

And in my recommendations when I looked at that there was a video where some guy makes his own static grass, sort of, out of cutting up hemp string (you know the kind of cheap hairy twine you get?) Looks more labour intensive, but might be worth a go. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8GylIKlGTs

The scale modelling guys will probably have better ideas tbh, a lot of wargaming scenery techniques are basically "Model train techniques simplified to be good enough for wargaming".

I know they recommend paint because craft paint is cheap and easy and people have it on hand, but I am wondering if using acrylic ink (maybe thinned with a isoproply/little distilled water + flow improver?) would work way better without the issue of the flock turning into "glue clumps"?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I've had bad experiences with ink lately, I don't know why. It ups my drying time tremendously and in one batch it yellowed when mixed with water effects. Possibly a bad batch, but I'm staying clear

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

BULBASAUR posted:

I've had bad experiences with ink lately, I don't know why. It ups my drying time tremendously and in one batch it yellowed when mixed with water effects. Possibly a bad batch, but I'm staying clear

I was having a similar issue. I shook them for minutes and no go. Eventually taped to a hand saw to shake the crap out of them, let it settle, and was good. I've also found the are garbage with a wet pallet and can get gummy really quick without - thing that works for me is putting in a pippet and squirting a small amount at a time just to fill my brush with. Less annoying then it sounds and inks are still really useful.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'll give it a try. I use inks to make washes, and all of mine except this one are another brand I've never had issues with. I got the white to play with and welp :shrug:

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I just completed this last weekend for a table topper. I found inks weren't getting the color saturation I wanted without using a ton of it. So instead I just went to Home Depot and got sample pots indoor house paints of three or four shades, each was less than $2 for 7.25 oz of high pigment paint.

The sawdust was free from the woodcutting section and it yielded everything I needed for this whole table and the hills and a huge bag in the closet. The clumps are an issue you can skip if you do smaller batches with less paint. If you do end up with clumps, either grind them in a blender or mortar & pestle. Or do what I did and use them as clump foliage.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
So I'm just buying a load of MDF terrain. I want to take some plastic canvas (aka granny grating) and glue it to this terrain as detailing. Can anyone recommend a good glue to bond MDF to this type of plastic? I know the plastic canvas can be notoriously difficult to stick to things.

I use gorilla wood glue on my MDF kits, works a treat. But I don't think it will help with this!

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Genghis Cohen posted:

So I'm just buying a load of MDF terrain. I want to take some plastic canvas (aka granny grating) and glue it to this terrain as detailing. Can anyone recommend a good glue to bond MDF to this type of plastic? I know the plastic canvas can be notoriously difficult to stick to things.

I use gorilla wood glue on my MDF kits, works a treat. But I don't think it will help with this!

I've always used hot glue with the granny grating and it's worked well.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Genghis Cohen posted:

I watched a video recently where someone was using drywall tape instead of plastic canvas because of the exact "getting the bastard stuff to stick to something" problem, if that would be any use? Dont know if its suitable for your particular application, but worth mentioning.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Genghis Cohen posted:

Scuff both pieces with sandpaper and use 2 part epoxy to bond it

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Lumbermouth posted:

I've always used hot glue with the granny grating and it's worked well.

Silhouette posted:

Scuff both pieces with sandpaper and use 2 part epoxy to bond it

SiKboy posted:

I watched a video recently where someone was using drywall tape instead of plastic canvas because of the exact "getting the bastard stuff to stick to something" problem, if that would be any use? Dont know if its suitable for your particular application, but worth mentioning.

Thank you all for the help! I have a hot glue gun, so I can try that and will look into the 2-part epoxy if it doesn't work (or more likely leaves unsightly gobs of glue everywhere). Thanks for the drywall tape suggestion, but I think for this the exact proportions of plastic canvas will be better.

For context, this is getting glued atop simple MDF buildings to look like grating. So I want it to look fairly neat.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I was having a similar issue. I shook them for minutes and no go. Eventually taped to a hand saw to shake the crap out of them, let it settle, and was good. I've also found the are garbage with a wet pallet and can get gummy really quick without - thing that works for me is putting in a pippet and squirting a small amount at a time just to fill my brush with. Less annoying then it sounds and inks are still really useful.

Btw, I got one of these and it works wonders: https://youtu.be/5WyCCvqEkYg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Does anyone know which glue works best for sticking Plasticard/Plastruct to metal?