Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

You can mix HO gauge scenery, 1/72 scale minis and Hot Wheels/Matchbox cars together and it looks just fine.

And S gauge is way too small for 28mm minis, you want O gauge stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

signalnoise posted:

I think the scale I was recommended was HO, which I found to be really difficult to find locally. I am just gonna go with the plan of lay my own track when I get around to putting a train station somewheres

Besides, most train tracks that I see have all these electric fiddly bits that I think would look totally out of place in a wargame setting because of how all the other terrain usually looks. Or maybe my standards are too high even though I don't meet them myself.

I would honestly err on the side of too large for a train, with that in mind I recommend getting S or O scale, it will seem a bit large, but trains are actually rather large, they will also have much better detail on the tracks.

drat just scrolled down and was beaten.

Germ posted:

That looks great! What will you be playing on it?

Uncharted Seas, Dystopian Wars, and Sails of Glory, we also have a few in our group that like to play General Quarters. I also think I can cover most of it will terrain board, and leave parts exposed for rivers.

Side note:
I was putting figures up on my new shelves and got my AT-AT out, apparently now I have a CAT-CAT.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Anybody here have home tables/terrain. Let's see that terrain! I'm itching for some inspiration, as always.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Work in progress:

My wife is not pleased with the state of our crafting table

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Holy god how long did it take you to cast all of that?

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I am so jealous of your bucket o' Hirst goodies.

On a separate note, why are all of the cool sci-fi/modern terrain companies in Europe? The shipping is ridiculous, I just want to buy some cool poo poo for an Infinity board :negative:

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I am so jealous of your bucket o' Hirst goodies.

On a separate note, why are all of the cool sci-fi/modern terrain companies in Europe? The shipping is ridiculous, I just want to buy some cool poo poo for an Infinity board :negative:

Im working on it :(

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Hah, revenge for all the other cool nerdy things being based out of the Americas.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Clanpot Shake posted:

Holy god how long did it take you to cast all of that?

It only takes about say 2 minutes to mix up the stuff, 3 minutes to pour it, and 15-20 minutes to harden to a state where you can take it out of the molds. I use Merlin's Magic as my plaster and I mix it really really thick so it dries quick. Really all you gotta do is, whenever you're just gonna be loving around on your PC, go mix up a batch and set a timer. Pop all the stuff out, repeat every 20-30 minutes. I have 10 molds and usually cast 7-8 of them at a time, so after a few hours there's a shitload.

The difficulty really is that CERTAIN PIECES I need a bunch of and you only get like 1 or 2 per cast. Those guardrails are only 2 per cast, and they take 2 per block of space. I need like 20 of the loving things just for a small bridge.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.
I realize this isn't exactly terrain-related, but it's along the same lines, and I'm not sure where else to ask - does anyone have suggestions on how to build an actual gaming table? My friend has recently finished repointing his basement and is going to take a corner of it for gaming, so we need to put together a table. We've got sheets of 1/2" plywood over a folding table now, but he'd like something a little nicer than that.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

LumberingTroll posted:

Im working on it :(

I just scratchbuilt the husk of a building out of foamcore and realize that I am poo poo at it/hate it. If you need help with the prototypes, mail them to me and I'll give you my professional opinion of your product! :haw:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Zhent posted:

I realize this isn't exactly terrain-related, but it's along the same lines, and I'm not sure where else to ask - does anyone have suggestions on how to build an actual gaming table? My friend has recently finished repointing his basement and is going to take a corner of it for gaming, so we need to put together a table. We've got sheets of 1/2" plywood over a folding table now, but he'd like something a little nicer than that.

Depends entirely on how crazy you want to go, whether you want to be able to pack it away for storage, etc.

I prefer solid tables, none of this folding lark or modular sections, I want a full size board in one piece. So the only option for that is a piece of sheet material the right size and a suitable frame built from square edged timber and screwed to it to support its weight and to stop it from warping when it's in storage and/or laying across a table that's smaller than it is

I'm working on a Malifaux table at the moment with some extra space either side for cards / decks / etc. (play area is 3' x 3', I've made my board 3' 2" x 3' 10") and the frame is going around the outside (with internal supports, kinda hard to describe without sketching something out), the playing area will be recessed by around 1/5" / 4-5mm there or thereabouts. It'll be just the right size to plonk across my kitchen table.

Photos will be forthcoming, I'm planning on picking up some timber this weekend and begging/borrowing a tenon saw and a mitre block from the in-laws.. gotta do this poo poo properly :v:

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.

enri posted:

Depends entirely on how crazy you want to go, whether you want to be able to pack it away for storage, etc.

I prefer solid tables, none of this folding lark or modular sections, I want a full size board in one piece. So the only option for that is a piece of sheet material the right size and a suitable frame built from square edged timber and screwed to it to support its weight and to stop it from warping when it's in storage and/or laying across a table that's smaller than it is

I'm working on a Malifaux table at the moment with some extra space either side for cards / decks / etc. (play area is 3' x 3', I've made my board 3' 2" x 3' 10") and the frame is going around the outside (with internal supports, kinda hard to describe without sketching something out), the playing area will be recessed by around 1/5" / 4-5mm there or thereabouts. It'll be just the right size to plonk across my kitchen table.

Photos will be forthcoming, I'm planning on picking up some timber this weekend and begging/borrowing a tenon saw and a mitre block from the in-laws.. gotta do this poo poo properly :v:

Awesome, I can't wait to see the pictures. This is kind of the direction we are headed; since I work for a contractor getting access to the tools is the easy part, using them less so. We have been thinking about drawing some actual plans before building something, but that may be too much work for a non work project.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Anybody here have home tables/terrain. Let's see that terrain! I'm itching for some inspiration, as always.

Sorry for posting a link instead of the photos, but most of them are not resized properly.

Here are two albums with some pics of a 28mm table that I made with a friend:

It started small...

WIP: http://imgur.com/a/nAHTr#1

Finished (together with pics of random 6mm stuff): http://imgur.com/a/B0ydd#hUlmzcD

I've also dabbled in Sci-Fi terrain:

And 1:35 dioramas:

And I make and cast 6mm terrain. I mostly keep to 6mm becase the casts are so small and practical:

I have a few tutorials up on my website, in case someone wants some tips for making simple, Eastern style thatched houses:
http://muraminiatures.com/tutorials.html

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 26, 2013

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Bucnasti posted:

I found this image.

HO is way too small, but it is pretty common, it's what most "toy" train sets are sized for. The bigger scales are usually pretty expensive hobby level stuff.

I think that S scale is closest to real 28mm, but most wargaming stuff is way out of proportion and O scale might look better on a gaming table.

With regard to scale keeping a 'Barry' in your pocket is super helpful when trying to see if a piece of terrain or vehicle is in scale for your purposes.

What the hell is a Barry you ask? I ran into the term on The Waaagh forums where ork players who constantly scrounge from dollar stores and yard sales needed to know if what they were looking at looting was in scale with their minis.

From the site: "Barry is the name given to any ork model whose sole purpose is a scale reference. I named my first scale-ork Barry ages ago and the name has sorta stuck. Basicly a 'Barry' needs to be a standard ork mounted on a standard base. Other than that there are no specs."

Replace ork with whatever the standard sized mini from you game system is so you can size up the terrain you are looking at buying.

I've found this tip very helpful, especially when buying second hand die-cast vehicles to use for Infinity.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

lilljonas posted:

(awesome stuff)

These are great, I love the Orky terrain! I've been an Ork player at heart for 9 years now, and I love this stuff (even though I've sold off and bought into the game four times...currently off but I get the itch when I see cool stuff like this!).

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I found this old AT-43 robot and I think it would be good for an Infinity board, but I feel like I should do something more to it. Any suggestions?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Any suggestions?
Yes. Add googly eyes to the Morats.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Just going to put a recommendation for Industrial Plastic Supply. I've used their HIS for years, and it is high quality and cheap. Only comes in imperial measurements, although 3/64ths is about 1.2mm, and 1/32nd is about .8mm, so it can be used for most things pretty well.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Pierzak posted:

Yes. Add googly eyes to the Morats.

Of course!

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

signalnoise posted:

It only takes about say 2 minutes to mix up the stuff, 3 minutes to pour it, and 15-20 minutes to harden to a state where you can take it out of the molds. I use Merlin's Magic as my plaster and I mix it really really thick so it dries quick. Really all you gotta do is, whenever you're just gonna be loving around on your PC, go mix up a batch and set a timer. Pop all the stuff out, repeat every 20-30 minutes. I have 10 molds and usually cast 7-8 of them at a time, so after a few hours there's a shitload.

The difficulty really is that CERTAIN PIECES I need a bunch of and you only get like 1 or 2 per cast. Those guardrails are only 2 per cast, and they take 2 per block of space. I need like 20 of the loving things just for a small bridge.

Make custom molds of stuff you need a ton of. I got some RTV silicon for 50% off at Hobby Lobby and made custom molds for dungeon floor tiles, barrels/boxes/crates/chests, campfires and coin piles and some gravestones I picked up at a dollhouse shop. One cast of the Hirst Arts gothic floor tile mold gives you 7sq", while my custom mold gives 28sq", premade in useful dungeon sizes, like 2x2, 2x4, and 1x2.

It takes a little work (and luck) to make your own mold, but it increases casting rates of some fiddly pieces by a ton.

I've got a Hirst Arts dungeon made up for my 2e AD&D game. I'll get some pics on imgur and post them sometime.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Ravendas posted:

Make custom molds of stuff you need a ton of. I got some RTV silicon for 50% off at Hobby Lobby and made custom molds for dungeon floor tiles, barrels/boxes/crates/chests, campfires and coin piles and some gravestones I picked up at a dollhouse shop. One cast of the Hirst Arts gothic floor tile mold gives you 7sq", while my custom mold gives 28sq", premade in useful dungeon sizes, like 2x2, 2x4, and 1x2.

It takes a little work (and luck) to make your own mold, but it increases casting rates of some fiddly pieces by a ton.

I've got a Hirst Arts dungeon made up for my 2e AD&D game. I'll get some pics on imgur and post them sometime.

I keep meaning to do this, but between the smell of the rubber I got and the mildly scary MSDS warnings, I've been putting it off. :shrug:

(Yes, I am a giant wuss.)

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Ok, my Hirst Arts gothic dungeon stuff.

My first little room, hallway and doorway, in unpainted yellow and white plaster. I use dental plaster, which costs me 80nt/kilo, or about $2.66us.

And the exploded room, to show how the pieces come together. Those half spaces along the walls don't count for spaces, they're mostly to fit in extra things and help in positioning models. Like pushing a figure against the wall to show they're squeezing by or hugging close to the wall or something.

My first painted pieces. The walls and floors have slightly different color schemes, with the floors being darker, to help differentiate them a bit and make it look less like a singular grey blob. They're all sprayed black, painted over in dark grey, drybrushed in medium gray, and lightly brushed in a lighter grey, with the floor being one shade darker in all those steps. As for those flames, I really need to practice some OSL painting to make some nice glows around them.

My faux-Heroquest stairway. It's just the gothic half width floor tiles glued in a circular pattern, because I had a ton extra.

I use little stepper pieces to let models stand on it. Here's the valiant party going down into some depths. We like to use blu-tac to modify the figures, and stick things onto them.

A small room showing off a lot of the cavern mold extra pieces, as well as some bunk beds and carts I made out of wood.

Same room, models-eye view.

Another example setup. I didn't have enough doorways made, so there's a freestanding door or two. The torches are q-tip cotton wrapped around a painted toothpick, painted yellow, orange and tipped with black ink.

My pretty pretty palantiri. Each of these is about 2/3 the height of a penny, all cast from white plaster. The marbled look is from nail polish on water, the same thing people do to their nails to get swirly looks. Then I used another layer of glossy sparkly nail polish to make them shine. I haven't seen anyone else do this so far.

I'll post some more later, don't mean to spam too many images.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Holy poo poo those are good. I'm with some friends just now who are thinking about making their own moulds for a huge modular space hulk board and if they ever get round to it it's going to be so awesome.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

One more for now, my little carts. Not really terrain, but close enough.

Made out of craft sticks and matchsticks. The small one's are 1"x1", the larger one I think is 3"x4". The only thing I really dislike is the larger one's wheels, I didn't have the patience to make proper spoked ones, nor were there any good facsimiles I could find. I'll probably swap them out when I get the Hirst Arts Inn molds, which has some wheel parts on it.

The boxes and barrels in it are from some resin set I got at a garage sale, no idea where they're from.

Fake edit: My wife took one of the little carts for her desk at work. They're too cute, she said.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Ravendas posted:

One more for now, my little carts. Not really terrain, but close enough.

Made out of craft sticks and matchsticks. The small one's are 1"x1", the larger one I think is 3"x4". The only thing I really dislike is the larger one's wheels, I didn't have the patience to make proper spoked ones, nor were there any good facsimiles I could find. I'll probably swap them out when I get the Hirst Arts Inn molds, which has some wheel parts on it.

The boxes and barrels in it are from some resin set I got at a garage sale, no idea where they're from.

Fake edit: My wife took one of the little carts for her desk at work. They're too cute, she said.

:neckbeard: Inspiration picture saved.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

So I got off my lazy arse this weekend and went and got the timber I needed, begged borrowed and stole tools I needed from the in-laws.. it's been a while since I made a mitre joint with wood and the end results were a little rough around the edges but nothing a bit of sanding won't fix later on.

This is a 3' 2" x 3' 10" table for malifaux, the play area is 3' x 3' (you can just about make out the markings on this pic) but I added the extra room so players have somewhere to pop their cards / cup of tea / etc. I'm also really tired of all my boards warping because I can't store them anywhere other than resting against the garage wall, hence the big frame around it.

To cut a long story short, the outer frame was made from 44mm x 18mm timber, the inner was 34mm x 18mm - with the MDF used for the board itself being 6mm thick, this meant I've got a tidy little 4mm lip around the outside.

This is the board / frame as of this afternoon:

a closer look at my bad mitre joint on the outer frame, and being lazy, went for the butt joint on the inner frame (glad to say that my sawing eye seems to be perfect, I didn't have to adjust anything post-cut, it all fit quite snugly)

As of tonight, the playing area has been sanded and tomorrow I'll be putting a sealing coat of watered down PVA on that bad boy. After that, paint!..

Brrr.

I haven't yet decided whether to screw the board down to the frame or whether to leave it loose and make an X-wing board on the flip side. Obvious benefit is two boards for the price of one.. downside? wear and tear on the edges of the MDF. Decisions decisions :)

edit: having had a think about it, I think I will make an x-wing board on the back side of the current board - that way the 3' x 3' board I have out in the garage (that was planned to be an x-wing board) can be cut down to 2' x 2' and used for a custom deadzone board when that hits the shelves.. the other offcuts have been sidelined for a blood bowl board :v:

enri fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 29, 2013

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I've seen some people do Infinity or post-apocalyptic projects here and there across the internet, and a lot of them feature mini posters like those from the Fallout games. Anybody know where I can find a file with these little posters I could print out?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I've seen some people do Infinity or post-apocalyptic projects here and there across the internet, and a lot of them feature mini posters like those from the Fallout games. Anybody know where I can find a file with these little posters I could print out?

Most people just re-size them in GIMP from real posters.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
Oh wow, what perfect timing for this thread!

I have some of the stumps/logs from Secret Weapon that I want to incorporate into the basing for one of my American GIs. My first one, I've painting it brown, gave it a drybrush of grey, then another light one of green before picking out the mushrooms growing on the side. It doesn't look very realistic. Anyone have any suggestions for painting a fallen log?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Can't let Germ have the only representation from our shop. Here's my Infinity table.

Oh and hey I found a pic of that Dystopian Wars vinyl sea chart map.

I'd forgotten that the cat threw up on it.

Edit: Oh, and there was this thing.

Fix fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Sep 30, 2013

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Oh man that table :flashfap: I want to play on that!

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

enri posted:

I haven't yet decided whether to screw the board down to the frame or whether to leave it loose and make an X-wing board on the flip side. Obvious benefit is two boards for the price of one.. downside? wear and tear on the edges of the MDF. Decisions decisions :)

MDF is cheap. Also, is there someway you could toughen the edge (like with a coat of lacquer)?

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I put black felt on mine, so it can flip into an X-wing table and it was totally my idea because I'm a manly man making things because my girlfriend yelled at me for scratching the dining room table.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

A few pics of my Hirst Arts gothic guard tower I made on my own. The idea behind it is to have a modular tower, as my campaign world has a lot of these dotting the landscape, with many of them having various internal structures, or varied heights.

Straight on shot, Heroquest skeletons for scale. Each brick is 1/2" high, so each floor is 2.5" high.

Angled shot. Those are my Mordheim archers.

It breaks down level by level. The bottom of each has tabs so it slides tightly into the next floor.

Internal walls that aren't glued in. These can be taken out, shifted around to make alternate (small) floorplans and such. I'm in the process of making more modular bits to fit inside, like barred cells, storage rooms and such. Only so much you can do with a 4"x4" area.

Since the inner dimensions are so small, each floor is connected to the next by ladders. Saves space, as stairs tend to be 4x as big (10'x10' minimum, whereas these ladders take up 5'x5'.

They're not painted yet, as I have to ship it across the world, and I'd rather not put effort into something that will just be scraped up in transit.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Where do you get your dental plaster for casting Hirst Arts?

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hubis posted:

MDF is cheap. Also, is there someway you could toughen the edge (like with a coat of lacquer)?

There is a few options (duct tape, etc.) but there's no neat and tidy way of doing it that would satisfy my perfectionist tendencies :)

MDF is cheap yea, but the time spent painting / laying texture down / etc. means I only want to do it once :(

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Where do you get your dental plaster for casting Hirst Arts?

I live in Taiwan, so I googled dental supply companies here. Turned out there was one within 5 minutes of my apartment. Walked in their front door, and had a dozen+ Taiwanese office ladies look at me in confusion. I guess white dudes in T-shirts don't walk in off the street much. Luckily my Chinese is good enough to tell them what I wanted, and walked out with 10kilos of plaster, half white and half yellow, because they were running low. 80 or 90nt a bag, which is 2.66-3us for each bag. I've used 18kg so far, and it's enough for a big dungeon (3d), that tower, a ton of little bits, and various other things.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I don't think there are any cheap Taiwanese dental supply shops in Vermont :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I don't think there are any cheap Taiwanese dental supply shops in Vermont :(

I've heard of people asking their dentist where they get their plaster. Then there's the Hirst Arts forums that have some listings of places to get it by area. I'm going to have to source it myself when I move back to Michigan in a few months. I guess the good plasters are things like Merlin's Magic, Hydrostone, Hydrocal, and Excalibur.