Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

and it's good af

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

I. M. Gei posted:

It is, although my gumbo is usually like that.

The roux is 1.5 cups each of flour and canola oil, and I used about 3 or 4 quarts of stock, 2 cups of rice uncooked (probably closer to 6 cups after cooking; I cooked the rice separately), 24 oz of frozen okra, and something like 5 lbs of shrimp cuz I like my gumbo meaty and full of protein! :pumped:

It's closer to porridge than soup at this point but I ain't complaining. It's still fuckin delicious.

Did you stir the rice into the gumbo pot before you took the picture?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Did you stir the rice into the gumbo pot before you took the picture?

Yes I did.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

that is arguably the dirtiest dirty rice

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Absolutely Filthy Rice

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Port-o-let rice

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I wanted it to have enough protein and carbs per serving to make for a good* pre- AND post-workout meal.

* when I say "good" I don't necessarily mean "healthy"

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 1, 2024

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Add a serving of rice to a serving of gumbo you absolute freak

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I. M. Gei posted:

Yes I did.

You should normally make the rice separately then serve the gumbo over a scoop of rice. This is like if you made a curry and cooked mixed all the rice into the pot. Or like mashed potatoes and gravy if you stirred all the gravy and potatoes together at once.

Edit: wait, you didn’t cook the rice in the gumbo, did you?

fr0id fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Mar 2, 2024

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

fr0id posted:

You should normally make the rice separately then serve the gumbo over a scoop of rice. This is like if you made a curry and cooked mixed all the rice into the pot. Or like mashed potatoes and gravy if you stirred all the gravy and potatoes together at once.

Edit: wait, you didn’t cook the rice in the gumbo, did you?

No, I cooked the rice separately and then added it.

I didn't realize there was a rule that you're not supposed to add rice to the gumbo during cooking. I've literally always added rice to my gumbo while cooking it cuz I just figured that's how it's done. All the recipes I've ever seen say to either cook the rice *in* the gumbo or make it separately during cooking, and I always assumed the latter meant you're supposed to add the finished rice to the gumbo while it cooks.

I've eaten plenty of gumbos where the rice was separate until serving time, but I always thought that was a personal preference thing where some people do it and others don't. I've also eaten a lot of gumbos where the two are already mixed. Isn't the whole point of gumbo that there are no right or wrong ways to do it as long as it tastes good?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I. M. Gei posted:

No, I cooked the rice separately and then added it.

I didn't realize there was a rule that you're not supposed to add rice to the gumbo during cooking. I've literally always added rice to my gumbo while cooking it cuz I just figured that's how it's done. All the recipes I've ever seen say to either cook the rice *in* the gumbo or make it separately during cooking, and I always assumed the latter meant you're supposed to add the finished rice to the gumbo while it cooks.

I've eaten plenty of gumbos where the rice was separate until serving time, but I always thought that was a personal preference thing where some people do it and others don't. I've also eaten a lot of gumbos where the two are already mixed. Isn't the whole point of gumbo that there are no right or wrong ways to do it as long as it tastes good?

Yeah. For the most part rice stays separate till eating, I have def added rice after the 1st batch done for expedience.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

The super-thick gumbo makes me kinda want gumbo pot pie now. That would be an interesting change.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

All gumbo at a restaurant is served to you with rice and gumbo together, some more mixed in than others. But I promise you they are adding rice right before serving it. I’ve never seen a gumbo recipe that cooks the rice in the gumbo. That’s just porridge. Nobody is judging you, if you like it that way chow down.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah you definitely aren't supposed to do it like that. but "rice cooked in gravy" is still fundamentally cajun food, i think

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Jambalaya is rice cooked in the broth and stuff but the end result is liquid absorbed as opposed to thick glutinous stew

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I’ll add that yeah if you add the rice in after it’s cooked you’re saving a step but I’d be worried it may reheat weirdly where the rice loses texture. I definitely don’t think you want to actually cook raw rice with the gumbo because that seems like it would add extra starches and mess with the thickness.

A gumbo has three traditional thickeners: the roux (this may be wrong but I’ve heard making dark roux for gumbo exchanges thickness for the deeper nutty flavors so it’s not a great thickener on its own), the okra slime (which gumbo is literally named after okra so that feels the most traditional) and the file powder. Some sources say to use only 2/3, some to use all 3. Lots say to have the file powder at the table to add to taste so I assume it thickens pretty quickly so long as the gumbo is hot. So if you add rice starch to it, I can get it at a conceptual level, but there is no reason to add almost flavorless rice starch instead of flavorful roux, okra, or file.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

fr0id posted:

Lots say to have the file powder at the table to add to taste so I assume it thickens pretty quickly so long as the gumbo is hot.

This is how we did it, and I honestly never noticed it doing a whole lot of thickening. I kinda thought the file was just for taste. In fact one time I asked my mom why not just put the file in with the rest of the spices when it was cooking, and she said it would get all slimy.

And now I really like the taste of file and will occasionally put it on things that don't even need thickening.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

I've taken to having a few spears of pickled okra with almost every meal. It's been some years now that I've done this, like 6 or 7 years. My wife thinks it's weird. My grandfather, who admittedly is originally from east Texas, has a sweet Vidalia onion at every meal that he slices from amidst bites of whatever we're having.

I was originally going to ask this thread for some form of validation, but then I thought about it. gently caress it. I'm going to keep my giant jar of pickled okra in my fridge, and I'm going to have at least three spears with each meal.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I prefer fried okra, but you do you.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

I'm fan of okra in all its forms. Even stewed and slimy.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Walmart fried okra (for snacking as you walk around the store) is only available in Louisiana, to my sadness.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
pickled okra is loving great, I would be right there with you eating it every day if I didn't live in new york

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

I'm fan of okra in all its forms. Even stewed and slimy.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Trader Joes has been selling some freeze-dried okra strips.

Bit like veggie chips / straws. I like Okra but these were solidly meh, you other okra fans might like it though so take a look.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Klyith posted:

pickled okra is loving great, I would be right there with you eating it every day if I didn't live in new york

Do they not make proper bloody marys in New York? I've been a few times but never ordered one.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mushika posted:

Do they not make proper bloody marys in New York? I've been a few times but never ordered one.

I'm sure if I went to a fancy bar where your bloody mary comes with a salad on top I might find a pickled okra. I do not go to fancy bars.

I used to bring back a jar or two of pickled okra when visiting family in NC, and then I would put a picked okra in my bloody mary at home. But I decided that chow chow was a better use of limited baggage space.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Klyith posted:

I'm sure if I went to a fancy bar where your bloody mary comes with a salad on top I might find a pickled okra. I do not go to fancy bars.

I used to bring back a jar or two of pickled okra when visiting family in NC, and then I would put a picked okra in my bloody mary at home. But I decided that chow chow was a better use of limited baggage space.

Pickled anything is a good use of bag space. If that's what you prefer, good on you.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

nolacuisine.com has vanished again! :ohdear:

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

pandy fackler fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Mar 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

yeah, I've been using that, and just c/p-ing to a text file