Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Phil Moscowitz posted:

That looks awesome! How was the seasoning? I find that many recipes overlook the fact that you’re dumping poo poo load of white rice in there, and you need to season accordingly. Especially if you use stock and not say broth.

I was cooking for a bunch of people I didn't know well (and I am in the northeast) so I left the spicy down to a minimum and had a few bottles of Crystal around for some.

The recipe basically has you taste for saltiness once the stock is in there and after you've brought up to a boil and skimmed it. I got a lot of salt from the sausage and fish sauce already so it only needed a bit more. I had a fair bit of heat from the little bit of cayenne I added and a few jalapenos I sliced up. Overall it was probably a tiny bit underseasoned for black pepper and heat but not enough to be a big deal. The app/spreadsheet recipe is quite close to ideal. Definitely worth following if you want to scale up for a really big batch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
This is probably the right thread for this, unlike other threads where I have posted before about my adventures with loving up red beans & rice.

The recipe is for 10+ servings. I always get tired of it before I finish the many many days of leftovers, even if I gently caress up and burn the entire bottom. So I was thinking of cutting the recipe in half, with half a lb of kidney beans. Do I cut the (7 cups of) water in half as well? Logic dictates, "yes of course" but I am putting it in an instant pot.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The_Doctor posted:

I found this in a cupboard at home, which I forgot I bought a few months ago, so that’ll be fun to try.

That Works posted:

Post a trip report. I haven't seen one of those in years, kinda curious to see how it stacks up to a standard jambalaya.

I finally got around to cooking it, and it came out really nice. Put like 4 chicken thighs worth of meat in, plus a whole sausage. The heat built nicely, and my spice-loving boyfriend really dug it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Rick posted:

This is probably the right thread for this, unlike other threads where I have posted before about my adventures with loving up red beans & rice.

The recipe is for 10+ servings. I always get tired of it before I finish the many many days of leftovers, even if I gently caress up and burn the entire bottom. So I was thinking of cutting the recipe in half, with half a lb of kidney beans. Do I cut the (7 cups of) water in half as well? Logic dictates, "yes of course" but I am putting it in an instant pot.

Yeah I would do that, worst case you need to add some more water/ stock and cook the beans a lil longer or if its too much liquid just cook with it open to reduce the volume.

The_Doctor posted:

I finally got around to cooking it, and it came out really nice. Put like 4 chicken thighs worth of meat in, plus a whole sausage. The heat built nicely, and my spice-loving boyfriend really dug it.

Thanks! Glad it came out good.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

That Works posted:

Mmm yeah that looks legit. I have the same pot so its very deja vu here.

lmao I also have one of those misens, my mom gave me one for christmas

God drat a good dutch oven is like a cheat code for half the stuff I make, I can't believe what I've been missing.

One of the first things I did with it was a Daube, was fantastic. That continues to be one of the best things I've picked up ITT.

Also perfected the recipe for a daube with roux. Here's the tl;dr:
1. browned the beef
2. saute 1/3rd of veg in the beef fat from step 1
3. deglaze that and set veg aside
4. make roux (scant 1c flout + 3/4c oil)
5. saute rest of veg in roux
6. seasoning, diced tomato
7. lay roast on top, put in oven for N hours
8. when it's getting done, put the veg from step 3 in

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Klyith posted:

lmao I also have one of those misens, my mom gave me one for christmas

God drat a good dutch oven is like a cheat code for half the stuff I make, I can't believe what I've been missing.

One of the first things I did with it was a Daube, was fantastic. That continues to be one of the best things I've picked up ITT.

Also perfected the recipe for a daube with roux. Here's the tl;dr:
1. browned the beef
2. saute 1/3rd of veg in the beef fat from step 1
3. deglaze that and set veg aside
4. make roux (scant 1c flout + 3/4c oil)
5. saute rest of veg in roux
6. seasoning, diced tomato
7. lay roast on top, put in oven for N hours
8. when it's getting done, put the veg from step 3 in

Well I know what I'm making soon. Looks excellent.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

That Works posted:

Yeah I would do that, worst case you need to add some more water/ stock and cook the beans a lil longer or if its too much liquid just cook with it open to reduce the volume.

Thanks! Glad it came out good.

The mistake I think I made was that I mashed the beans before boiling the extra water off, so it was still a bit over runny even after like 20 minutes of boiling, but ultimately it worked. Also I had broth frozen in the freezer from a few months ago and I think it lost all its flavor so I had to do a couple emergency chicken bullion cubes. Also I didn't reduce the meat enough so it's like half sausage but hard to complain about that. Overall the best since I switched to making them in Instant Pot. And there's only 2-3 days worth instead of a week worth.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
So I made some Red Beans and rice last night and swapped out the celery for fennel. I liked the results, it was more savory than normal and the liquorice flavor toned down a lot during the cooking and complements the spice and smoke. I may not go back to celery.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

side_burned posted:

So I made some Red Beans and rice last night and swapped out the celery for fennel. I liked the results, it was more savory than normal and the liquorice flavor toned down a lot during the cooking and complements the spice and smoke. I may not go back to celery.

There is an Indian recipe for red beans that uses Ginger and turmeric and otherwise isn't terribly different from Creole red beans without meat. I bet the fennel would go even nicer with that.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

That Works posted:

There is an Indian recipe for red beans that uses Ginger and turmeric and otherwise isn't terribly different from Creole red beans without meat. I bet the fennel would go even nicer with that.

Do you have link to recipe?

What I do for week day lunches is to make large batches of legume dishes and freeze them in ice cube trays. So my freezer is packed full of gallon sized zip lock bags packed with cubes of of chana masala and refried pinto beans. I find it works best with vegan recipes and that red beans dishe sound perfect.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

side_burned posted:

Do you have link to recipe?

What I do for week day lunches is to make large batches of legume dishes and freeze them in ice cube trays. So my freezer is packed full of gallon sized zip lock bags packed with cubes of of chana masala and refried pinto beans. I find it works best with vegan recipes and that red beans dishe sound perfect.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/rajma-red-kidney-bean-curry-1957982

There's a lot of different versions of this out there but they are almost all the same. I found that adding celery and bell pepper didn't really change it any and I've made it with or without those. It does have tomato in it which is the only real difference but it's not a very powerful flavor in comparison to everything else

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Mother's Day was Sunday which meant I got asked to make crawfish magnifique

For anyone who hasn't had it before, it's a cream-based sauce served on/in boats of fried mirlitons. It's a bit more work than an etouffee, but it's worth it if you're looking for something a bit richer. Preparing the boats makes it more complicated overall, but I'd argue the actual sauce is easier. There's a great recipe in Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen which I'm just gonna assume everyone has already.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 11, 2022

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
That looks awesome, I need to get more mirlitons into the rotation…

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
I had no idea mirlitons were a thing; they appear to be the same thing as chayote which I can get easily. How else are they usually used in creole/cajun cooking?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Scythe posted:

I had no idea mirlitons were a thing; they appear to be the same thing as chayote which I can get easily. How else are they usually used in creole/cajun cooking?

i've mostly seen them stuffed with meat/seafood kinda like you'd make stuffed bell peppers, but i'm sure there's many other uses

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Yeah growing up we had stuffed mirlitons every summer. Stuffing was butter and bread crumb with whatever seafood or sausage you had around plus cheese and cream etc.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Rick posted:

Super late to this but red beans is even better after it’s been frozen. Load up the freezer with the extra and reheat in a small pot with a little water on the bottom to keep it from burning if you’re to lazy to dethaw.

Fresh rice and leftover bread and you’re set.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Grocery store near me had crawfish meat and shell-on shrimp on sale for half off. I got a bunch of both and I'm gonna turn them into gumbo in a couple of days.

I gotta start making gumbo out of something other than seafood.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 6, 2022

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

I. M. Gei posted:

I gotta start making gumbo out of something other than seafood.

Do you do a turkey at thanksgiving? Gumbo from a turkey carcass is pretty much tied with t-giving dinner itself in my books.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Klyith posted:

Do you do a turkey at thanksgiving? Gumbo from a turkey carcass is pretty much tied with t-giving dinner itself in my books.

This

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I usually make a smoked turkey jambalaya and it's always bangin'

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Klyith posted:

Stick with the fried turkey carcass and then gumbo with leftovers, so good

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Klyith posted:

Absolutely. Thanksgiving turkey carcass and sausage gumbo is one of my favorites. It helps that somehow my wife and I usually end up with some kind of badass sausage at just the right time. Venison sausage one year, some amazing sausage from Nowheresville, Mississippi another, elk one time.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

My inlaws do deep fried turkey every year with a cajun butter injection. How do I do a gumbo from that? Make stock with the carcass?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Yes, although I don't think the flavor would be any different than a regular old roasted turkey carcass. You should also use the leftover meat in the gumbo itself.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Yeah the only prep way Ive found that makes a little difference to the gumbo is if you smoke the turkey but even then its usually pretty mild overall. Just save some meat and the carcass whatever way you make it and it'll work.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I usually make a stock with the carcass on thanksgiving, after we eat the turkey, then use the stock for gumbo the day after or Saturday.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

That's pretty much what we do too

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

Mushika posted:

some amazing sausage from Nowheresville, Mississippi

Nowheresville really does make the best sausage. If you aren't getting your hotlinks from Bumfuck, MS (pop: 124), you're missing out.

My Second Re-Reg fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Aug 14, 2022

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Shack next to a gas station off the highway somewhere in Iberia Parish

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Rabideaux was always my goto for sausage on my return trips from Houston to BR. A lot of times I'd pick some up for my parents on the way in, too. Google says it's in Iowa, LA but I remember it being in the middle of nowhere just past Lake Charles.

(Insert joke about how Iowa, LA is the middle of nowhere :v:)

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I usually make a stock with the carcass on thanksgiving, after we eat the turkey, then use the stock for gumbo the day after or Saturday.
Sorry for only looking at this thread once a month, but do you have a link or recipe on how to do this?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dik Hz posted:

Sorry for only looking at this thread once a month, but do you have a link or recipe on how to do this?

How to turn the leftover turkey into stock? Or how to make the stock into gumbo?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Stock is easy, take the biggest pot you have (for turkey bones you usually will need like a 12-16 quart stock pot). Chop a couple carrots up in rings or whatever, 1 big or 2 small onions chopped, one bulb garlic cut through the middle, couple ribs of celery chopped. Put some oil in the pot and give the vegetables a little browning if you can.

Toss in the the turkey carcass (cut the meat off for the gumbo) and cover everything with water, usually like 6-8 quarts or so. Put some bay leaves, about a dozen whole black peppercorns, chope a cup of celery, and throw some sprigs of thyme in too. Let it all simmer for as long as you want, at least 1.5 hours.

Strain out all the stuff. I usually fish out all the solids with tongs and a fry skimmer, then use a second big pot with a fine mesh colander to strain most everything else out. Put it back on the flame and reduce it an hour or more. The longer you simmer with everything in it, the more flavorful it will be. It will reduce that way too.

You want to end up with at least 3 maybe 4 quarts of stock for the gumbo. Depends how much you want to make. Gumbo is a whole different recipe though.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Goons, it has been Five. Goddamn. Years. since I had made daube. The first and last time I had made it, I had apparently hosed up something and made it too spicy for the wife. I remember it being amazing. She only remembers the heat. Well, I *finally* convinced her to let me make it again today. And this time I went milder than I thought it needed, and it truly did turn out fantastic. Have a few pictures. On the house.

Mise en place. Sirloin roast, trimmed of fat cap. The fat was cubed, mostly-rendered, and then vegetable oil added till I got the 1/3rd cup measure needed for the roux step.

The wine is an inexpensive malbec, on recommendation from the guy at the liquor store. It worked quite well, tbh.

No pics of the cooking process, because Reasons. This is right after the 4 hour simmer in the oven.

Sliced Extra Thiccc.

Same exact everything, just the plate turned around. My knives are always decently sharpened. This roast was so tender that it half shredded from the act of being cut by a sharp knife.

:swoon:

And the money shot. The wife approved of this one. I got the heat level juuuust right. I can't wait to have this tomorrow, after the flavors have melded.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

neogeo0823 posted:

Goons, it has been Five. Goddamn. Years. since I had made daube. The first and last time I had made it, I had apparently hosed up something and made it too spicy for the wife. I remember it being amazing. She only remembers the heat. Well, I *finally* convinced her to let me make it again today. And this time I went milder than I thought it needed, and it truly did turn out fantastic. Have a few pictures. On the house.

Mise en place. Sirloin roast, trimmed of fat cap. The fat was cubed, mostly-rendered, and then vegetable oil added till I got the 1/3rd cup measure needed for the roux step.

The wine is an inexpensive malbec, on recommendation from the guy at the liquor store. It worked quite well, tbh.

No pics of the cooking process, because Reasons. This is right after the 4 hour simmer in the oven.

Sliced Extra Thiccc.

Same exact everything, just the plate turned around. My knives are always decently sharpened. This roast was so tender that it half shredded from the act of being cut by a sharp knife.

:swoon:

And the money shot. The wife approved of this one. I got the heat level juuuust right. I can't wait to have this tomorrow, after the flavors have melded.

loving A. Nice one

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Man I love daube, only ever made it the French way. That looks awesome.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Man I love daube, only ever made it the French way. That looks awesome.

Check out page 18 of this thread for the recipe. Other goons on that page suggested making a roux, by searing the meat in 1/3rd cup oil, then adding the same amount of flour, do the roux, then add the mirepoix in when ready. IME, the blackened bits from searing the meat don't interfere with the roux process, but you'll wanna add the mirepoix to the roux a bit earlier than you might otherwise, as the stuff on the bottom of the pot looked like it was about to burn till I got it scraped up after the moisture from the mirepoix loosened it. Another goon suggested that instead of cooking on the stove top for 4 hours, preheat the oven to 300F, then turn it down to 275F when you put the pot into the oven. I like this method as you get less chance of burning the stuff on the bottom of the pot, and you don't have to stir it at all except when you flip the meat halfway through cooking.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

neogeo0823 posted:

Check out page 18 of this thread for the recipe. Other goons on that page suggested making a roux, by searing the meat in 1/3rd cup oil, then adding the same amount of flour, do the roux, then add the mirepoix in when ready. IME, the blackened bits from searing the meat don't interfere with the roux process, but you'll wanna add the mirepoix to the roux a bit earlier than you might otherwise, as the stuff on the bottom of the pot looked like it was about to burn till I got it scraped up after the moisture from the mirepoix loosened it. Another goon suggested that instead of cooking on the stove top for 4 hours, preheat the oven to 300F, then turn it down to 275F when you put the pot into the oven. I like this method as you get less chance of burning the stuff on the bottom of the pot, and you don't have to stir it at all except when you flip the meat halfway through cooking.

I'll be making this soon. Thanks for the reminder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I was the one who reported on the roux, and my updated procedure is at the top of this page. (I don't go straight from browning meat to making roux anymore, because a proper dutch oven has made the sear work better without a ton of oil.)

I think it's loving fantastic with roux, but one big reason is I use 2x the veggies as the average recipe and that's a lot of water. Plus a big roast exudes a fair amount of liquid as it cooks. The roux keeps it from being too sloppy. So it goes from pic 2 where the sauce is so thick the roast can lie on top of it, to pic 3 where it's perfect.

So my suggestion for anyone who wants to follow my roux outline is to get real generous with veg, the sauce will support it.