Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

opposable thumbs.db posted:

Visiting New Orleans tomorrow for about four days, thanks for the restaurant recommendations! We are five mid-to-late-20s people and we're staying in an AirBnB just south of I-10 and Esplanade Ave in (this area seemed safe enough, though not super touristy, is that right?). We'll probably take Ubers or equivalent so we're fairly mobile.

We have reservations for Cochon on Friday night. Thanks again Phil for the recommendations; they've been helpful when planning so far. The person whose birthday it is wants to eat as much Cajun/Creole food as is humanly possible, so the restaurants I have written down so far are:

- Cochon
- Peche
- Cafe Reconcile
- Verti Marte
- Elizabeth's
- Felix's
- Willie Mae's
- Parkway Bakery and Tavern
- Morning Call
- MOPHO
- Herbsaint
- Bacchanal

Am I missing anything in the vicinity to where we're staying? We've got some jazz clubs in mind too, but that seems like more of a spur-of-the-moment thing rather than one that requires reservations.

If you get to all those places you are lulling it food wise!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Coops is good.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
One of my only taboos on food is that I wouldn't eat turtle (it's just so unsporting, millions of years of evolution and we're all "sorry, dude, thumbs")

I am seriously tempted to try turtle soup. I'm assuming y'all use snapping turtles? Those seem like a fairer shake.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Turtle soup is good but I fear most places just substitute ground lamb or some other meat for the turtle. I've never even tried killing or boiling or eating a turtle myself. But I like it at the old dame restaurants

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Eifert Posting posted:

One of my only taboos on food is that I wouldn't eat turtle (it's just so unsporting, millions of years of evolution and we're all "sorry, dude, thumbs")

I am seriously tempted to try turtle soup. I'm assuming y'all use snapping turtles? Those seem like a fairer shake.

Awesome quote. I've had turtle soup a few times made by the old creole ladies in my church. It was snapper each time that we or someone else caught. Never had it in a restaurant. Honestly, like alligator, it wasn't that great. Not bad but just so much other real good food I'd always steer someone away.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

That Works posted:

Awesome quote. I've had turtle soup a few times made by the old creole ladies in my church. It was snapper each time that we or someone else caught. Never had it in a restaurant. Honestly, like alligator, it wasn't that great. Not bad but just so much other real good food I'd always steer someone away.

Yeah, I've had it exactly once at Brennan's here in Houston. It's one of their most famous dishes, my thoughts are basically "I'm glad I tried it, that's out of the way, no need to try it again." One interesting note is that they have a recipe for it on their website - https://www.brennanshouston.com/articles/classic-turtle-soup/

I have no idea if that's 100% accurate, but kinda neat that they'd throw it up there in the first place.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's part of the prix fix at Tujagues :shrug:

Any good LA breweries?

Edit: Cochon good. Yarp.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 1, 2017

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Eifert Posting posted:

It's part of the prix fix at TUjagues :shrug:

Any good LA breweries?

Courtyard, Second Line, Wayward Owl, and Urban South are all nano/micros with tap rooms and worth going to in roughly that order.

I'd skip NOLA Brewing, it always seemed like they didn't make anything you couldn't buy commercially, they'd just add random flavors to their flagship beers.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

It's part of the prix fix at Tujagues :shrug:

Any good LA breweries?

Edit: Cochon good. Yarp.

Port Orleans is good. I'm here right now, open for the Saints game! Good beers, great facility, and the food is excellent.

Courtyard is outstanding beer.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm having a this and that at CY. A bit overly citrus but good.

The molasses porter is very much my poo poo.

Now to spend the next two hours pondering fish vs duck at tujagues.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 1, 2017

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!
Fun Shoe

Eifert Posting posted:

I like the turtle soup at Mandina's. When they ask if you want sherry in it, say yes.
Also, from a few pages back, when we prep okra for gumbo, we dredge it in flour then pan fry it. It adds a nice depth of flavor.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
I ate so much food.

Thursday: arrived, dinner at Felix's and drank on Bourbon

Friday: lunch at Willie Mae's, snacks and coffee at Morning Call, dinner at Cochon

Saturday: lunch at Parkway, drinks at Bacchanal, dinner was small amount of leftovers from Cochon

Sunday: breakfast at a cafe down the street called Lil Dizzy's, small plates and drinks at Peche, beignets and coffee at Cafe du Monde, dinner at Coop's Place

Monday: lunch was muffalettas at Cochon Butcher

Thanks for the recommendations. Except for the neighborhood getting a bit flooded today it was a fantastic trip, especially the food.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

opposable thumbs.db posted:

I ate so much food.

Thursday: arrived, dinner at Felix's and drank on Bourbon

Friday: lunch at Willie Mae's, snacks and coffee at Morning Call, dinner at Cochon

Saturday: lunch at Parkway, drinks at Bacchanal, dinner was small amount of leftovers from Cochon

Sunday: breakfast at a cafe down the street called Lil Dizzy's, small plates and drinks at Peche, beignets and coffee at Cafe du Monde, dinner at Coop's Place

Monday: lunch was muffalettas at Cochon Butcher

Thanks for the recommendations. Except for the neighborhood getting a bit flooded today it was a fantastic trip, especially the food.

Sounds like you did it right. Also flooding is part of the NOLA experience, super authentic. If only you'd had to boil your water and been pelted in the face with pink beads, you would have scored the total package.

Glad you enjoyed yourself!

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So wife and I were planning on coops because she really wants jambalaya. Turns out she is afflicted with a terrible disease she calls "not liking rabbit." While I wonder the point of life with such a condition she wants Jambalaya somewhere else. Any recommendations? Bonus points for cheap, we have been blowing up the budget on this trip.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Eifert Posting posted:

So wife and I were planning on coops because she really wants jambalaya. Turns out she is afflicted with a terrible disease she calls "not liking rabbit." While I wonder the point of life with such a condition she wants Jambalaya somewhere else. Any recommendations? Bonus points for cheap, we have been blowing up the budget on this trip.

I dunno the price now but the lunch menu at Tujaques is cheaper standard stuff and iirc they had good jambalaya there. Honestly probably any place around that's convenient to get to is gonna have great jambalya if they are still in business.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Pretty much everywhere. Mother's, Mulates, Gumbo Shop, Acme. At Mulates you'll get some Zydeco music at night, probably.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Omw home. Thanks for all the tips y'all. Highlight was prob cochon, but everything was good.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Eifert Posting posted:

Omw home. Thanks for all the tips y'all. Highlight was prob cochon, but everything was good.

Where'd you end up getting jambalaya?

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
Oh, one more thing that y'all might find amusing: I weighed myself the morning before leaving for the trip and the morning after returning. A lot of it turned out to just be bloat, but over that time period (five days) I gained seven pounds.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

That Works posted:

Where'd you end up getting jambalaya?

Wife found a place called Pere Antoine. She liked it well enough, it seemed pretty mundane to me though. Like 4 back up plans ended up being closed.

Shoulda gone to Coop's :colbert:

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Here's a li'l jambon à la yaya comme le disaient les ancêtres

La mise en place

La graisse

Le porc

Ooooo cher

L' andouille

Les légumes

Le bouillon de volaille (avec poulet)

Et voilà mes p'tits

(sorry no bowl pic, it was dark and we all went trick or treating--this last pic is before all the stock was absorbed)

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Here's a li'l jambon à la yaya comme le disaient les ancêtres
Magnifique!

Red Beans and Rice. How I love my Instant Pot.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Mouth instantly watered. What's the cook time using the Instant Pot?

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here

poemdexter posted:

Mouth instantly watered. What's the cook time using the Instant Pot?
30 minutes with the dry beans, onion, bell pepper, jalepeno, garlic, seasoning (tony's, kosher salt, ground pepper) and 7 cups of water.
Then release steam.
Add the andouille and another 15.
Cannot stress how good the beans turn out, I mean perfect consistency.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Nhilist posted:

30 minutes with the dry beans, onion, bell pepper, jalepeno, garlic, seasoning (tony's, kosher salt, ground pepper) and 7 cups of water.
Then release steam.
Add the andouille and another 15.
Cannot stress how good the beans turn out, I mean perfect consistency.

Did you presoak the beans at all? That's incredibly fast!

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here

poemdexter posted:

Did you presoak the beans at all? That's incredibly fast!

No presoak at all!!! Rinse em and dump 'em. Cool is it not?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Pressure cookers own. For some reason I cook all kinds of other beans and even did a batch of gumbo in mine but haven't done red beans in it yet. Will have to give that a go.

Looks like it came out great!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Who’s frying a turkey?

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

My cousin always does one, but it turns out so dry :yikes:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I do an overnight pecan wood smoke for my turkeys. Dads recipe, can’t find any way better yet. Fried can be real good but I still prefer the smoke

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

It shouldn’t turn out dry. You can overcook that poo poo to 200 and it will still be juicy (but not perfect).

I like to mix up the smoke/fry. But I haven’t roasted in an oven in like 15 years.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

kloa posted:

My cousin always does one, but it turns out so dry :yikes:

Your cousin should brine the turkey first. My dad does an oilless fryer for turkey and it always turns out perfect because of the brine.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Or inject the poo poo out of it with creole butter.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
If you visit New Orleans and don't eat at Dick and Jenny's on Tchoupitoulas then you are doing yourself a great disservice

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Coop's Place is always my go to for New Orleans

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Nhilist posted:

No presoak at all!!! Rinse em and dump 'em. Cool is it not?

Our instant pot came in tonight. I’m gonna need recipe for them beans if you don’t mind sharing. We’re looking to do a pound.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

poemdexter posted:

Our instant pot came in tonight. I’m gonna need recipe for them beans if you don’t mind sharing. We’re looking to do a pound.

How fancy do you want? In my phone so no nive formatting.

1 pound of beans, 2 cups onions chopped, 1 cup celery chopped, 1 cup bell peppers chopped, 3 jalapenos, 3 cloves of garlic minced, 4 bay leaves, tablespoon of dried thyme, 1 ham hock or ham bone, 1 pound or so of andouille sausage, black pepper and salt to taste. Add plenty of water if you did not presoak your beans, otherwise add enough to cover about a half inch. You can also use chicken stock. Cook until water is brown like mud. Cook longer if you prefer it thick (i like a slightly runny paste)

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here

poemdexter posted:

Awesome, here is what I did.

1 onion chopped I did yellow, but you could go white just as easy I'm thinking would be great.
1 green bell pepper chopped a big one.
1 lb dried red kidney beans
3 cloves garlic minced
2 Tbs creole seasoning (I used the hot and spicy Tony's, so actually more cajun)
2 bay leaves
Salt and peppered to taste
7 cups water
2 lbs of andouille sausage sliced and put em on the cast iron to get a little browning if you want. (And honestly I am going to do 3lbs next time)

Instructions
Add all ingredients besides sausage to instant pot, close lid and manually cook for 30 minutes.
Quick release the pressure and then add in your sausage.
Manual cook for about 15 minutes and then let it naturally release.
Once pin is up remove lid and using a potato masher or whatever you have mash about half of your beans.
Stir and mush your beans up just a little then serve over rice.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Nhilist posted:

Awesome, here is what I did.

1 onion chopped I did yellow, but you could go white just as easy I'm thinking would be great.
1 green bell pepper chopped a big one.
1 lb dried red kidney beans
3 cloves garlic minced
2 Tbs creole seasoning (I used the hot and spicy Tony's, so actually more cajun)
2 bay leaves
Salt and peppered to taste
7 cups water
2 lbs of andouille sausage sliced and put em on the cast iron to get a little browning if you want. (And honestly I am going to do 3lbs next time)

Instructions
Add all ingredients besides sausage to instant pot, close lid and manually cook for 30 minutes.
Quick release the pressure and then add in your sausage.
Manual cook for about 15 minutes and then let it naturally release.
Once pin is up remove lid and using a potato masher or whatever you have mash about half of your beans.
Stir and mush your beans up just a little then serve over rice.

I haven't done red beans but have done a couple batches of white beans in my pressure cooker.

One suggestion I'd make is to take about 1/4 of the total amount of sausage, chop it up into quartered slices (each about 1/4 - 1/2 of an inch in size) and cook those down in the pressure cooker. The remaining sausage slice up and either grill briefly in the oven / on a grill or in a saucepan and then stir them in with the beans once they are out of pressure. Let them sit in there for a bit while stirring / mashing. I've just noticed that you want to cook some of the sausage in with the beans to give it a nice boost in flavor, but if you cook all of it in there you end up with the sausage being overcooked and losing some of its own good flavor.

Just a potential nudge to the method, by all means if you are happy with what you have feel free to disregard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here

That Works posted:

I haven't done red beans but have done a couple batches of white beans in my pressure cooker.

One suggestion I'd make is to take about 1/4 of the total amount of sausage, chop it up into quartered slices (each about 1/4 - 1/2 of an inch in size) and cook those down in the pressure cooker. The remaining sausage slice up and either grill briefly in the oven / on a grill or in a saucepan and then stir them in with the beans once they are out of pressure. Let them sit in there for a bit while stirring / mashing. I've just noticed that you want to cook some of the sausage in with the beans to give it a nice boost in flavor, but if you cook all of it in there you end up with the sausage being overcooked and losing some of its own good flavor.

Just a potential nudge to the method, by all means if you are happy with what you have feel free to disregard.

I think this is great technique, refinement is how something good goes to great. Going to make them again this weekend and am all about this.

Also, go do red beans in your pressure cooker tout de suite :)