Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Klyith posted:

I don't make gumbos super-spicy, so that's not really a thing I'd need. But I have done gumbo with mashed potato instead of rice, which is pretty good. Also my mom used to make a version of grillades, but as a dinner meal and with mashed potato rather than grits. Pressure cookers make mashed potatoes a snap.

Speaking of condiments, half my family now live in North Carolina and I've started bringing back jars of carolina chow-chow when I visit. It is some weird intermediate between sauerkraut and kimchi, it's good with jambalaya and loving amazing with red beans & rice.

It’s also pretty good on top of grits with an over easy egg and some thick-cut bacon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Hauki posted:

I couldn’t care less for mayo-based potato salad in general, but it works great here for what you described. I only tried it like that maybe a month ago for the first time.

Hmm, I wonder...
Haven't used mayo in salads for a long time (it's not that I don't like it, I use it or aoli in sandwiches all the time), but I switched to doing a vinaigrette style slaw or a greek yogurt based salad dressing ages ago. I wonder if it would work with a greek yogurt based salad.
I probably won;t ry as CBF buying potatoes when cooking for just myself and I have heaps of rice that takes ages to get through anyway.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I was told that this was the place to go for NOLA food recommendations- I've been wanting to go to New Orleans for years and I'm finally getting the chance to by tagging along with my wife while she heads down there for a weekend conference. What are the best places to eat within walking distance of the convention center? I know that it's right near the French Quarter which seems like a good place to start.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Pretty sure that exact question has been asked within the previous 5 pages :cheeky:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

C-Euro posted:

I was told that this was the place to go for NOLA food recommendations- I've been wanting to go to New Orleans for years and I'm finally getting the chance to by tagging along with my wife while she heads down there for a weekend conference. What are the best places to eat within walking distance of the convention center? I know that it's right near the French Quarter which seems like a good place to start.

There was one link in the OP (bit dated now) that might help but there's probably a few more recent answers in here too that others can point out.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3570811&userid=110909#post442470036

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
It is a bit dated but mostly good still. I would say walking distance from the convention center in the CBD/warehouse district, here are the places I recommend now:

Cochon (more sit down)/Butcher (more bar/sandwiches but still great)
Meril (Emeril’s newest place—highly recommend it, tons of variety all under $20 a plate)
Peche
Herbsaint
Compère Lapin

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Also the convention center is like a half-mile long and the quarter isn’t right next door to it. It’s a perfectly doable walk to the quarter, don’t get me wrong, but pedi cabs and uber aren’t a terrible idea, depending where you are.

If you want the quarter I can give you some ideas there too.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
We're staying on the north end of it, if that helps. Thanks for the suggestions so far, my wife is working all day Saturday and my job is to find places to eat for when she's done working :v:

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
Made the jambalaya recipe from the OPs for dinner tonight. It was pretty good. Could have used a bit more cayenne imo but I was cooking for family and they tend to complain when I make stuff hot enough for me. Probably should have used some twine or something to keep the thyme sprigs together so I didn't have to spend five minutes fishing them out individually but eh.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Moatman posted:

Made the jambalaya recipe from the OPs for dinner tonight. It was pretty good. Could have used a bit more cayenne imo but I was cooking for family and they tend to complain when I make stuff hot enough for me. Probably should have used some twine or something to keep the thyme sprigs together so I didn't have to spend five minutes fishing them out individually but eh.

Hah yeah I always start a batch a little underseasoned when I share a recipe. Also helps if you end up using some sausage with some spice to it etc. I more or less double the amount of cayenne from the recipe and it works well. You can use powdered or dry thyme as well. I haven't found that the fresh stuff really makes a strong difference only that for the dry you just use a bit more.

These days I add in a tbls or two of fish sauce when I'm wilting down my veggies as well. Works nice for gumbo too.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I started using reusable loose-tea holders for thyme/rosemary/bay leaves and it’s much easier to fish out.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

kloa posted:

I started using reusable loose-tea holders for thyme/rosemary/bay leaves and it’s much easier to fish out.

Oooh that's a good idea. I have a couple of sleeves for that laying round that I never use.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
For jambalaya and really anything other than dishes that involve whole pieces of meat, I really don't find much difference between cayenne at the start and hot sauce when served. So if I'm making food to share I generally aim on the low side. (Though I have one friend that considers black pepper to be too spicy, he gets to just deal with it.)

It only feels like missing out when you have a roast or something and want that heat cooked all the way in.

Speaking of which, I did another creole daube. That stuff is the poo poo and I think will be in my winter rotation forever. hosed it up a bit by adding too much tomato. I really gotta remember how much water the meat puts out while it cooks, don't add more liquid ingredients just because it looks way too thick at the start. You loving idiot.

Still really good even though the over-emphasis on tomato gave it a kinda italian taste. No pics, but refer to page 18 if you are new to the thread and want an amazing recipe.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

There’s a grocery store in my area that sells uncooked crawfish sausages. I’m thinking about getting some, smoking them, and putting them in some gumbo. They also sell uncooked andouille sausages.

Should I just get the crawfish sausages, or should I get a mix of both?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

There’s a grocery store in my area that sells uncooked crawfish sausages. I’m thinking about getting some, smoking them, and putting them in some gumbo. They also sell uncooked andouille sausages.

Should I just get the crawfish sausages, or should I get a mix of both?

I'd be reluctant to put the crawfish sausage in gumbo. Seems like that kinda flavor you'd want to have it stand on its own and if you let it cook down in a gumbo for more than a few minutes it would probably just kinda blend out into the dish and lose any unique flavor or texture that might have.

For the gumbo I'd just go with the andouille personally and grill up the crawfish sausages on the side and have them with some potato salad or somethin.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

That Works posted:

I'd be reluctant to put the crawfish sausage in gumbo. Seems like that kinda flavor you'd want to have it stand on its own and if you let it cook down in a gumbo for more than a few minutes it would probably just kinda blend out into the dish and lose any unique flavor or texture that might have.

For the gumbo I'd just go with the andouille personally and grill up the crawfish sausages on the side and have them with some potato salad or somethin.

this is good advice. even in louisiana I've had a lot of disappointing crawfish sausage, it's one of those things that always sounds like a great idea but ends up being way harder to execute right than other meats.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Do I need to use smoked andouille sausage in gumbo? A butcher here makes fresh ones that are raw.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Do I need to use smoked andouille sausage in gumbo? A butcher here makes fresh ones that are raw.

I don't actually know! I've only ever had access to the smoked ones. Maybe someone else has good advice.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

I wonder if it's a more traditional french version or something? hot smoking is basically a requirement to call your pork sausage 'andouille' in the louisiana style

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I guess it's just their interpretation of it. It's more of an Italian place and they call it "Chicken andouille"

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

It's probably gonna be fine either way. I've made gumbo with raw pork and jalapeno sausages I got from a local butcher in Texas when I lived there and it was great. I can't imagine that it would come off badly. If you decide it's lacking the smoky flavor too much you can always throw in some smoked paprika into your trinity when sweating that down.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

That Works posted:

It's probably gonna be fine either way. I've made gumbo with raw pork and jalapeno sausages I got from a local butcher in Texas when I lived there and it was great. I can't imagine that it would come off badly. If you decide it's lacking the smoky flavor too much you can always throw in some smoked paprika into your trinity when sweating that down.

Yeah I think you can use just about anything - I'm not sure how regional Concecuh County sausage is (it's from alabama but i've found it in both louisiana and south florida) but it's really good in gumbo too.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I think smoked sausages are preferable, because they maintain their shape when you cut them. I also think they impart more flavor to the gumbo. Raw sausages tend to fall apart, and they don’t have the same snap on the casing. There’s nothing stopping you from cooking them first, then throwing them in. That’s the way I would recommend it. I wouldn’t throw raw sausage in the gumbo.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I would probably de-case it and brown it separately? I do french lentil stew with fresh sausage like that, then use some of the leftover grease to saute veggies and dispose of the rest so there's not an oil slick on top of the pot. Fresh sausage produces more oils than smoked, most of the time. Though if this is chicken sausage that might not be a problem.

That Works posted:

If you decide it's lacking the smoky flavor too much you can always throw in some smoked paprika into your trinity when sweating that down.

just take the roux 1 notch darker :)

e:

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I wouldn’t throw raw sausage in the gumbo.
100% this, probably wouldn't fully cook unless you got it in way early in which case it'd get kinda waterlogged

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Does anyone have a lead on getting smoked pork sausage shipped across the country? I cannot find purely pork sausage that is smoked where I'm living, and the places I bought meat back when I lived in LA do not ship :argh:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

kloa posted:

Does anyone have a lead on getting smoked pork sausage shipped across the country? I cannot find purely pork sausage that is smoked where I'm living, and the places I bought meat back when I lived in LA do not ship :argh:

No one nearby sells pork kielbasa? That seems pretty universal in grocery stores around the US.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

kloa posted:

https://www.cajungrocer.com/andouille.html

(there is every sausage you could want on there not just andouille)

e. the website is acting hosed up for some reason...I used to use this site to order stuff to California and it was good.

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 23, 2018

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
Alright folks I went to the Cajun market and bought, among other things, a pound of gator fillet. What should I do with it? I've only had fried gator before.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I think it’s best fried, then tossed in sauce like buffalo wings.

I’ve marinated strips in a citrus marinade and grilled it on skewers too.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I like it fried too. Usually I've had it chopped up in a fried meatball kinda thing.

https://www.cajuncookingrecipes.com/alligator/alligator3.htm

Ton of recipes out there for it but if you've got fillets I'd probably pound em flat and cook them up more like a beef milanese or something.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I think it’s best fried, then tossed in sauce like buffalo wings.

I’ve marinated strips in a citrus marinade and grilled it on skewers too.

That Works posted:

I like it fried too. Usually I've had it chopped up in a fried meatball kinda thing.

https://www.cajuncookingrecipes.com/alligator/alligator3.htm

Ton of recipes out there for it but if you've got fillets I'd probably pound em flat and cook them up more like a beef milanese or something.

All three of these sound delicious.

Also that website has armadillo recipes.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
Those gator balls sound great so I'll go with that. Already got some boudin balls, so maybe I'll make both of em for one meal. Maybe on top of pasta? Cajun meatball pasta. Hmm.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Okay well it took like an hour and a half but I I managed to ace a dark roux on the first try. Waiting for the stock to boil and then it’s simmering time
E: okay maybe not aced, it’s a bit on the thin side, but I didn’t burn it and that’s what really matters

Moatman fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 31, 2018

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Moatman posted:

Okay well it took like an hour and a half but I I managed to ace a dark roux on the first try. Waiting for the stock to boil and then it’s simmering time
E: okay maybe not aced, it’s a bit on the thin side, but I didn’t burn it and that’s what really matters

The darker it gets the less it will help thicken your gumbo / sauce. Sounds like you nailed it.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Nice, did you take a picture?

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Of the roux? No. Of the gumbo? Hang on
e: it's surprisingly hard to upload things to imgur from an iphone

e2: dunno why the photos are sideways

Moatman fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 1, 2018

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)
This thread inspired me to try making legit gumbo. I have no idea if what I've nearly created is authentic or correct - but it's probably one of the most delicious things I've ever cooked, based upon tastes so far. I keep licking the stirring spoon like a good dogo who got peanut butter.

I basically used this thread's recipe as a baseline guide, and added individual steps/ingredients from other recipes that sounded good. I used bacon fat and a little butter in place of lard for the roux, because I didn't have lard. I also added a bunch of garlic, a tiny bit of worcestershire sauce, an amber-ish malty lager to deglaze the cast iron I seared the chicken thighs in. Also, a bunch of fresh thyme and some hot rear end spice blend I made from particularly hot cayenne last week.

I have a bad habit of tinkering with recipes and trying to get "creative" when it's not nessecary, which is why I can't bake, but I feel like I haven't yet ruined this one. Gumbo kicks rear end.

Roux tip: just go super extra low and listen to podcasts/drink beer. Take like two hours, who cares.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

A Tasteful Nude posted:

Roux tip: just go super extra low and listen to podcasts/drink beer. Take like two hours, who cares.

this is actually the traditional method

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

A Tasteful Nude posted:

This thread inspired me to try making legit gumbo. I have no idea if what I've nearly created is authentic or correct

New orleans food is probably the least concerned with "authentic or correct" of any cuisine which is why it's so brilliant. It was fusion before the word fusion was invented. does it taste good? then eat it up.

you absolutely need to go low and slow with a roux using butter, the smoke point is much lower. probably the same with natural bacon fat versus lard. the flour will cook anywhere above 300-ish degrees iirc, which is achievable with any fat you care to use. just takes a while.

a 15 minute roux using high heat is for impatient moderns who use modern canola / vegetable oil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

A Tasteful Nude posted:

This thread inspired me to try making legit gumbo. I have no idea if what I've nearly created is authentic or correct - but it's probably one of the most delicious things I've ever cooked, based upon tastes so far. I keep licking the stirring spoon like a good dogo who got peanut butter.

I basically used this thread's recipe as a baseline guide, and added individual steps/ingredients from other recipes that sounded good. I used bacon fat and a little butter in place of lard for the roux, because I didn't have lard. I also added a bunch of garlic, a tiny bit of worcestershire sauce, an amber-ish malty lager to deglaze the cast iron I seared the chicken thighs in. Also, a bunch of fresh thyme and some hot rear end spice blend I made from particularly hot cayenne last week.

I have a bad habit of tinkering with recipes and trying to get "creative" when it's not nessecary, which is why I can't bake, but I feel like I haven't yet ruined this one. Gumbo kicks rear end.

:hellyeah:

Tinkering with a gumbo recipe is the standard. Most of the time I just make it with whatever is on sale. It'll be shrimp and sausage with a seafood stock one time, duck and sausage with duck stock, then turkey with turkey stock another. Same for fats, I've used bacon grease, duckfat, butter, peanut oil etc. It's basically a catchall dish that you just throw whatever protein you have into. I've had it with crab claws and boiled eggs in someones house before.

Right now all the corned beef leftovers from St. Patricks day are on sale and I have a freezer full of them. Your post has inspired me to make a gumbo using that along with some beef bone stock in the freezer....

Glad you jumped in with it!

Hauki posted:

this is actually the traditional method

:hai:

I'd say you nailed it on the 1st try. I like putting a little chopped parsley in mine.