Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

5MinuteButtermilk posted:

Should roux have a smell while cooking? I made roux for the first time today, and it went from smelling sort of greasy to smelling like burnt popcorn. I'm reasonably sure that the burnt popcorn smell is because I burned it, but should it have that greasy smell? I used 1/2 cup of vegetable oil and 1/2 cup of flour.

When I tried a roux the smells were amazing. A new one came out every time I achieved a new shade. One smell definitely was that of popcorn, but not burned popcorn. I don't remember any "greasy" smell, but that doesn't seem unreasonable considering that it's half fat, though I did mine with lard, and not vegetable oil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Yeah, last time I made a roux, I used butter, and at first it smelled like butter and flour, and then slowly became something that reminded me of toasted almonds, before moving to popcorn, and then just starting to smell sort of pungent by the time I took it off the heat. That seems to be where you want it to go.

5MinuteButtermilk
Mar 5, 2014
Alright, I'll keep that in mind for next time I try. Maybe using butter will help with the smell?

5MinuteButtermilk fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 27, 2015

holttho
May 21, 2007

When it is at the white/blonde stage, it'll have little to no smell outside of the smell of flour and the fat used. But as it gets darker, it'll take on nutty smells. My lard roux had a really nice peanut-buttery aroma to it and was wonderful. Butter will definitely change the smell, (for the better) though you may want to clarify the butter if you want to take it to the darker stages. The milk solids may cause trouble if you are inexperienced with using straight butter.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

5MinuteButtermilk posted:

Should roux have a smell while cooking? I made roux for the first time today, and it went from smelling sort of greasy to smelling like burnt popcorn. I'm reasonably sure that the burnt popcorn smell is because I burned it, but should it have that greasy smell? I used 1/2 cup of vegetable oil and 1/2 cup of flour.

Popcorn is normal and awesome.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Dark roux smells absolutely wonderful.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Megasabin posted:

Just attempted the gumbo. It's cooking now. I never managed to get the roux chocolate brown. It ended up being dark yellow-tanish, and the consistency ended up more like porridge, so I think I put too much flour in? I'm currently in the 4 hour simmer phase, and it looks like the attached image below. Not sure how badly I messed it up, but hopefully it will be edible. Any tips for next time on how to get a dark brown roux?

During the simmer phase, what do you guys normally bring the heat down to? Also lid of the pot on or off?

Your chowder looks excellent man. Kidding aside I hope it ends up tasting nice. It probably will. You made me want to make some gumbo, actually, it's been a few years.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Your roux is undercooked. You've made a big pot of bechamel. Did you use oil or lard, and what was your ratio of flour to fat? 1:1 should be plenty. And like Zaepho says, roux-cooking is a multiple-beer affair. Like 2-3 beers, or as some old timers like to say, both sides of an LP.
This is sound advice.

holttho posted:

When it is at the white/blonde stage, it'll have little to no smell outside of the smell of flour and the fat used. But as it gets darker, it'll take on nutty smells. My lard roux had a really nice peanut-buttery aroma to it and was wonderful. Butter will definitely change the smell, (for the better) though you may want to clarify the butter if you want to take it to the darker stages. The milk solids may cause trouble if you are inexperienced with using straight butter.
This is sound advice as well.

Here is a colour reference chart:

Blonde roux.

Chocolate/Brick Red roux

Dark roux. This is the colour you're gunning for. Accept nothing less when you're making gumbo.

Also,

:siren: DO THIS IN A DEEPASS POT BECAUSE IT'S NOT CALLED CAJUN NAPALM FOR SHITS AND GIGGLES. IT WILL BURN AND STICK TO YOUR SKIN :siren:

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
see i'd call that 2nd to last one a strawberry or red roux, the last one a brick roux, and dark/chocolate roux would be one step darker still. i like a good brick roux (maybe pushing the edge of dark) for my gumbo personally. also you'll get infinitely better results incorporating the flour slowly, i also always use a sift and a whisk and incorporate it slowly while constantly whisking. never had a problem even in a relatively shallow saute pan

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Hey all, I found a copy of Cajun Cuisine in a local charity shop and from the amazon reviews it sounds like it's very good.

Have any of you used any of the recipes from it? Also if anyone is interested I can post some of the recipes - the index is viewable via the "look inside" feature on amazon.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

feelz good man posted:

:siren: DO THIS IN A DEEPASS POT BECAUSE IT'S NOT CALLED CAJUN NAPALM FOR SHITS AND GIGGLES. IT WILL BURN AND STICK TO YOUR SKIN :siren:

Oh man. One time a piece of roux jumped out and landed on my foot. I immediately swiped it off but the damage was done. Gave me a nickel sized blister and I couldn't wear shoes for two weeks. I never make roux in flip flops anymore.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Oh man. One time a piece of roux jumped out and landed on my foot. I immediately swiped it off but the damage was done. Gave me a nickel sized blister and I couldn't wear shoes for two weeks. I never make roux in flip flops anymore.

But in keeping with the spirit of cooking Cajun food, I hope you were drinking copiously during the roux process and that the spillage was preceded by a healthy holler.

5MinuteButtermilk
Mar 5, 2014
Thanks for all the roux replys! They have been extremely helpful, especially the color chart. As for the Cajun Cuisine book mentioned, I've found it to be quite informative. I haven't made to many recipes from it, as I'm still not very good at making roux, but I've made the stuffed bell peppers and the beignets and I really liked them.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Does anyone here have experience with cornbread? I don't know much in the way of baking. I've been working off of this recipe as a base: http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/southern_cornbread/ Using all stone ground white cornmeal, no flour, no sugar, with the egg. I've also tried it with bacon fat instead of butter, with the salt reduced to a tiny pinch and the diced up cooked bacon added at the same stage as the fat. Every time it's mighty tasty, but I've always found that while the exterior is always nice, with a nice crust wherever the batter was directly touching the cast iron, and a softer but still noticeable crust on top, never too hard in either case. The interior, however, is always crumbly, and breaks apart more easily than I'd like. Is there a way to fix that without adding flour, or is that basically the only solution?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Crumbly isn't a fault in cornbread, but it might just not be to your taste. You can try increasing the egg and decreasing the milk used a bit and see if that provides enough binding power to forgo more flour. Corn meal made from heritage corn, while sounding quite wanky, may also give you more bready structure, but I don't have any recs if you decide to go that direction.

Martha White cornmeal is all I used until a few years back, and then I switched over to Kroger (so mom sends me bags of it from down south :3:). That's probably about as un-heirloom corn as one can get... And no eggs, either. Bacon drippings, milk, cornmeal, plus or minus a heart attack. I only make it for holidays now.

holttho
May 21, 2007

Crumbly corn bread (if you indeed judge that as a fault) is just lacking a binder: moisture, protein, or gluten are really the only options. One or more of those will help it stick together better. I know some people absolutely hate it, but I really enjoy little nibs of sweet corn in it, and the moisture they provide (plus replacing the water in the recipe with the juice from the can) can help hold it together. Protein from egg whites will also help it set a little firmer.

But, with extra whites in it, you'll have to be more attentive with the cook temperature. If you cook it too hot, the whites will just seize and dry out anyways. That is where having the cast iron screamin hot when you put in the batter will help you get that wonderful crust on the outside while still letting the crumb stay relatively temperate.

Though, the best solution is to just get some butter, whip it together with some honey, slather some on there and just let the troubles melt away.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Thanks guys. I've been using Hodgson Mill cornmeal. I do wonder though, if how much I beat the egg and whether I beat the egg before or after I add the buttermilk to it would matter when it comes to how well the interior binds. I know the best solution is to simply keep making batches until I have it how I'd like it, but I can only eat so much cornbread, and if I give it away to friends, I don't always get to try it and find out how it turned out, or get good feedback.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cornbread is southern baking. If you ain't usin' buttermilk for any additional required hydration, you just ain't doin' it right

Real talk: bacon fat is something that never occurred to me, and now I think I may be baking some cornbread tonight...

holttho posted:

Though, the best solution is to just get some butter, whip it together with some honey, slather some on there and just let the troubles melt away.

Bonus points for pecan butter.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

I made the jambalaya posted on page 1 with 1lb of chicken and 1lb of andouille. Turned out super tasty and easy to boot.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Since you all seem to know about Cajun food, any advice on where/what to eat in New Orleans when i go down next weekend?

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

goodness posted:

Since you all seem to know about Cajun food, any advice on where/what to eat in New Orleans when i go down next weekend?

I have this exact same question for the exact same time period.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

goodness posted:

Advice will range all over the place given if you want touristy, traditional, expensive or cheap.

Overall nearly anything there will be pretty drat good, especially amongst the established places but for those a lot of times you'll be waiting in line or paying more for something that can be just as good at a smaller less well known joint.

Most of my knowledge is pre-Katrina but these are the ones that I know of that are still pretty much can't miss:

Tujagues - Open since 1856. Dressed down for lunch and fancier for dinner. Get a cheap and solid lunch of New Orleans Standards or go for dinner and add $25 to any entree to get a 5 course prix fixe dinner that is loving great. Really cool bar right on the side of it as well that you should check out before or after dinner.
http://www.tujaguesrestaurant.com/menus.html

Mother's - Great spot for just about anything. Again, New Orleans standard fare. Good spot for a PoBoy amongst other things. Not as fancy as Tujagues for the dinner crowd. Can't miss food.
http://www.mothersrestaurant.net/mothers_menu.html

Dragos - Go for the Charbroiled Oysters. Everything else is good there more or less but get the loving oysters if you go here.
http://www.dragosrestaurant.com/

Acme Oyster House - My tourist friends who have visited here seem to like it a lot. I can't vouch for it as I've never been so try at your own discretion.
http://www.acmeoyster.com/menu_fq

Port of Call - If you are winding down a night of drinking around the quarter, stop by here for a burger. The other food is OK, but really if you're up late drunk, get the burger and get an app of wine sauteed mushrooms.
http://portofcallnola.com/

Mena's Palace - This one you won't hear much about. It's not big nor flashy but it's always solid food and cheap. This is the place I always make sure to visit when I get back home.
http://menaspalace.com/

Morning Call - Two locations, one in city park and one out in Metarie. Used to be downtown but moved in the 70's because of a fire or something. In my opinion the best place for beignets and coffee compared to Cafe du Monde. Du Monde is great, but you'll wait in line for an hour in the quarter just to get the stuff and honestly I like Call's a lot more.
http://morningcallcoffeestand.com/

Cafe du Monde - Everyone who's visited will tell you to go here for breakfast. If you don't see a line, sure check it out. Otherwise check out Morning call (above) instead.
http://www.cafedumonde.com/locations

- Fancy / Formal -

Antoine's - This is one of the classics. Make reservations and be prepared to spend. Holy poo poo everything here is amazing though. Don't be surprised if you can't get in however.
http://www.antoines.com/

Galatoire's - Also another classic. Chances are you've heard about this and Antoine's. If you've got the time and money check them both out. Outstanding food. Check out the menu's for both but you'll need reservations and I think they have a dress code. Been years since I have been here.
http://www.galatoires.com/home

Commander's Palace - Another classic. 4-star, pricey and fancy same as Antoine's and Galatoire's you'll want reservations and expect to spend. Been ranked, talked about as the best as long as I have been able to remember. I think if you hit any of these three you'll be good though.
http://www.commanderspalace.com/

I hope a few other goons can chime in here as I'm more removed from NOLA now. I'm sure there's a wave of post-Katrina stuff that I am missing as well as some more hidden neighborhood spots. I'll add on their suggestions and update the OP if we get some good stuff.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Go to Coop's. It is a tiny hole in the wall but the food is awesome.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

I'll put in a good word for K-Paul's.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Thanks for the help guys!

I love hole in the wall places with great food, spicy food and stuff that a region is well known for if that helps find some good places. Also crawfish, is it a good time of year?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

goodness posted:

Thanks for the help guys!

I love hole in the wall places with great food, spicy food and stuff that a region is well known for if that helps find some good places. Also crawfish, is it a good time of year?

Yes
Crawfish is just hitting the beginning of the season

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

That Works posted:

Yes
Crawfish is just hitting the beginning of the season

I need to find the best place to eat as many as I can then :D

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

goodness posted:

I need to find the best place to eat as many as I can then :D

In the city proper is tough. I'd ask some people at your hotel to point you to a local spot. It's not really a dish that you'll find hosed up down there.

Edit:

This was a good spot:

http://www.deanies.com/

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Here's a list of crawfish spots. I'll post a more detailed restaurant guide with some newer places in a bit.

http://www.nola.com/dining/index.ssf/2015/02/crawfish_crayfish_price.html

You can actually buy boiled crawfish by the pound at the Rouse's supermarket on Tchoupitoulas Street, too. Only on the weekends though.

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Mar 8, 2015

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Here's a list of crawfish spots. I'll post a more detailed restaurant guide with some newer places in a bit.

You can actually buy boiled crawfish by the pound at the Rouse's supermarket on Tchoupitoulas Street, too. Only on the weekends though.

Thanks. I'm out of touch on the newer spots

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I would like to add these links of good places to get crawfish as well:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_lakes_of_the_United_States
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rivers_of_the_United_States

For anyone looking into buying crawfish, I would seriously look into the Fish & Wildlife regs in your area. In Washington state here, the season runs first saturday in May 'til Halloween. No license is required, and there is a generous limit of 10lbs live in shell. They have to be 3.5" long and without young attached. Also there is no limit or restrictions of any kind on invasive species. It's a hell of a lot of fun to catch them too

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I don't know if you are serious but the dude is coming to New Orleans for a vacation. I seriously doubt he is looking to roll up his pants and wade around in ditches looking for crawfish, which he then can try to boil on the hot plate of his hotel room coffee machine.

The old-line spots That Works mentioned are fun and good but they are more about the experience than the food, especially Galatoire's. You need a coat at Galatoire's (they have lenders but don't be that guy). As far as newer restaurants I would recommend.

Cochon (and its casual neighbor restaurant, Butcher) - Everyone I've taken to Cochon is blown away. The fried alligator and roasted oysters are awesome. I think the oysters are actually better than Drago's (they're a different preparation--Drago's is great too). Butcher is a cool sandwich place for lunch. Absolutely go to Cochon if you can.

Peche - new seafood restaurant from the same guy who owns Cochon (Donald Link). Both Cochon and Peche won Beard awards. This place is difficult to get a table at so you will absolutely need reservations.

Jacques-Imo's - a bit out of the way but pretty classic place. No reservations so be ready to drink a bit at the dive bar next door while you wait.

NOLA - Emeril's place in the quarter which is actually pretty good despite being owned by Emeril.

Luke - french bistro type restaurant owned by John Besh in the CBD (downtown).

Borgne - another Besh restaurant in the CBD in the lobby of the Hyatt by the Superdome.

Herbsaint - Donald Link's flagship restaurant, cajun/french, very good. Pretty upscale.

If you want to spend money and go absolutely apeshit try Revolution in the Royal Sonesta. The place is insane "haute cajun" lmao (and prices to match).

Po Boy spots - for my money the best one is Parkway Bakery & Tavern, followed by Mahony's, then Domilise's. Crabby Jack's is a ways out but has the best fried shrimp po boys, they put like a pound of shrimp on them.

I mean there are so many other places you can try that are not necessarily cajun/creole. On Magazine Street: Lilette (french), Shaya (israeli), La Petite Grocery (french), Bistro Daisy (Frenchish), Magazin (vietnamese, bánh mì, pho and bún), Pizza Domenica (great unique pizza and other italian), Baru (tapas), Bouligny Tavern (cool watering hole/bistro type place).

On Freret Street: Company Burger, Dat Dog (alligator sausage!), High Hat (diner), Ankora (neapolitan pizza and other italian). You want real Viet food you can go to Gretna to Tan Dinh, freakin awesome.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Phil, I want to party with you next time I'm in NOLA.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Thanks for the continual help.! I wil def. give a trip report after I eat at some of these places.

goodness fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 9, 2015

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I don't know if you are serious but the dude is coming to New Orleans for a vacation. I seriously doubt he is looking to roll up his pants and wade around in ditches looking for crawfish, which he then can try to boil on the hot plate of his hotel room coffee machine.
Where is your sense of adventure?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

feelz good man posted:

I would like to add these links of good places to get crawfish as well:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_lakes_of_the_United_States
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rivers_of_the_United_States

For anyone looking into buying crawfish, I would seriously look into the Fish & Wildlife regs in your area. In Washington state here, the season runs first saturday in May 'til Halloween. No license is required, and there is a generous limit of 10lbs live in shell. They have to be 3.5" long and without young attached. Also there is no limit or restrictions of any kind on invasive species. It's a hell of a lot of fun to catch them too

Are you in the Seattle area? Where have you caught them at?

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it
I've gone to Emerald Lake in Bellingham and to Pass Lake over by Whidbey Island. Pass had a ton, but they were all barely limit size. The ones I was getting in Emerald were ginormous but not as plentiful. I'm talking like probably 6-7" per crawfish.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Shooting Blanks posted:

Go to Coop's. It is a tiny hole in the wall but the food is awesome.

Seconding the hell out of this. It's about as divey as it gets, but the food is awesome. I never heard of any of the other times until this past year. I was amped because of the food, and the promise of a roving bulldog that hangs there. I did not see the dog, but the food rules. The jambalaya is what's up. Get it supreme.

and I didn't see it since it's pretty much a tourist place by now, but the Verti Mart's All That Jazz poboy is meant to be consumed when you can't see straight.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Seconding the hell out of this. It's about as divey as it gets, but the food is awesome. I never heard of any of the other times until this past year. I was amped because of the food, and the promise of a roving bulldog that hangs there. I did not see the dog, but the food rules. The jambalaya is what's up. Get it supreme.

and I didn't see it since it's pretty much a tourist place by now, but the Verti Mart's All That Jazz poboy is meant to be consumed when you can't see straight.

Is Ozzy still around? I haven't been to Coop's in a few years, but Ozzy was looking a bit grizzled the last time I was there. I hope he's still kicking.

I haven't been to Verti Mart in many years. I've heard it has changed a lot, but I do have very fond memories of french fry poboys at three in the morning.

e: fond and vague

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Mushika posted:

Is Ozzy still around? I haven't been to Coop's in a few years, but Ozzy was looking a bit grizzled the last time I was there. I hope he's still kicking.

I haven't been to Verti Mart in many years. I've heard it has changed a lot, but I do have very fond memories of french fry poboys at three in the morning.

e: fond and vague

I was there in March and didn't see him :( I didn't wanna be the guy to ask about a dead dog to his owner. But yeah, love that bar.