Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Loving this thread, gonna have to try a few of these recipes over the next couple weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

3-5 pounds per person, good vegetables include corn on the cob (cut into 3-4 inch sections), asparagus, artichokes, and potatoes. If it's overcooked, it will be rubbery, if it's undercooked it will taste like it.

Don't eat crawfish if the tails are straight when they come out of the water - that means they were likely dead before they started boiling, and can make you ill. Remember that the earliest batches will be the mildest, the last batches will be the spiciest. Keep extra spice in a shaker on the table for anyone who wants extra.

I've never done the actual boiling, but been to plenty of them - I'm sure someone here will have more advice.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Looks good but I am cringing at the thought of making that much sausage with a KA.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Go to Coop's. It is a tiny hole in the wall but the food is awesome.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Phil, I want to party with you next time I'm in NOLA.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I feel like I'm getting old or something, I just don't go for crawfish like I used to. Partly it's because they've gotten more expensive, but partly it's just not worth it to eat 5-6 pounds any more - now I'd rather just have one pound and then some etouffee or something.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Oyster stuffing is definitely a thing, but I've never had it myself. Seems strange to me as well.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I always think of Turducken as being Cajun/from Louisiana, so I'm putting this here because...I can't really think of anywhere else for it to go. someone taking Turducken to it's horrifying conclusion:

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

poemdexter posted:

Dallas. I'm in north Plano aka Vanillaville, USA.

Weird, I'm in Houston and pork sausage is very easy to come by here.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

There used to be a food truck near me in Austin that made boudain balls: deep-fried balls of boudain and crawfish. That food truck is gone now.

Can I get a boudain ball recipe in this thread?

If you ever make it down to Houston, stop in at Hebert's Specialty Meats. There are 2 locations, the boudin available from them is stellar.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Christ those are some good looking boud[a]in balls. Need to make my way over there soon, once I confirm they weren't flooded out by Harvey.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Doom Rooster posted:

The single best meal I have had across 5 trips to NO was at Coop's Place near you on Decatur. It's a dive bar with a kitchen, Very traditional, relaxed cajun.

Second this. Coop's is fantastic but it's rather small - 5 people shouldn't be an issue though, especially if you plan on a late lunch.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

That Works posted:

Awesome quote. I've had turtle soup a few times made by the old creole ladies in my church. It was snapper each time that we or someone else caught. Never had it in a restaurant. Honestly, like alligator, it wasn't that great. Not bad but just so much other real good food I'd always steer someone away.

Yeah, I've had it exactly once at Brennan's here in Houston. It's one of their most famous dishes, my thoughts are basically "I'm glad I tried it, that's out of the way, no need to try it again." One interesting note is that they have a recipe for it on their website - https://www.brennanshouston.com/articles/classic-turtle-soup/

I have no idea if that's 100% accurate, but kinda neat that they'd throw it up there in the first place.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Coop's Place is always my go to for New Orleans

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Goddamn your gumbo looks good.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Eat all of the bacon.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Interesting, I'll pick it up if I ever see a bottle of the sauce on the shelves here in Houston. I doubt I'll find the spice mixture, but I'll keep it in mind.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

That Works posted:

My brother in-law was real sick a while back and his wife was slammed taking care of him and 3 kids. Neither of them are particularly good or experienced cooks (both yankees) and I made a big pot of gumbo for them. This christmas we bought them an instant pot as they were kinda getting into cooking a bit more. He just wrote me telling me how much he and his wife loved the gumbo I made them months ago and that he had tried to make an instant pot gumbo recipe (I have no idea which one?) and it came out OK, but he was interested in making a good / proper one.

Does anyone have a particularly good video or bulletproof gumbo recipe for a novice? I feel like I could write up a decent one for him, but a video might be nice for someone more novice to this. I was gonna tell him to use the instant pot to make the stock and do the rest more traditionally.

Thinking just chicken, sausage and okra gumbo based on ingredient availability (Rural Massachusetts).

I might suggest file rather than okra as your thickener, if only because veggies like okra may not be readily available. A lot of people in Massachusetts get their vegetables locally, just keep that in mind as an alternative if they can't get it.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Human Tornada posted:

You guys are being weird. I live in a small-medium city in Ohio and have no problem finding frozen and fresh okra, file, jars of roux all of that stuff in the local grocery stores. They even have a little "southern/cajun" section.

I just visited my mom a month ago in small town Mass. and was at the two places she shops for groceries - the farmer's market where she gets some produce, and the co-op where she gets (almost) everything else. Now I wasn't looking for frozen okra, that's certainly possible, but I'm about 90% sure it wasn't available fresh at the time at the co-op. Absolutely not at the farmer's market.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Never done green beans but I have done asparagus in a boil. It also works very well.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Big Willy Style posted:

I am going to be in New Orleans (visiting from Australia), on Memorial Day and desperately want to go to a local's barbecue/party or whatever. Is anyone stupid enough to accommodate me? I won't have the facilities to prepare food but can bring booze.

If you were coming to Houston I could accommodate but sadly that's about a 5 hour drive. Plus an entirely different type of party/bbq.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Anyone have a favorite roast beef recipe for a sloppy juicy roast beef poboy? In the crock pot would be ideal, but I’ll do what I’ve got to do if I need to.

From way back on Page 18:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3570811&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=18#post469532011

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Is the etoufee recipe linked on the first page still the standard or is there a better one?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

This will be from scratch in New England, including stock. But I can wrangle a quick shrimp stock

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Yeah I was planning on shrimp. Oysters here are not great though, no matter how much you pay.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Just a reminder that shrimp stock makes your kitchen smell awesome

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Project Etoufee was a success. But holy poo poo was that first bite spicy for some reason, almost like there was a bunch of cayenne right there. Very weird.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I'm so happy! I just found out that the new grocery store near me carries tasso. Guess I need an excuse to make gumbo soon!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I will make etouffee on Monday (tomorrow is carnitas). There will be one or more photos.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I keep some shrimp in the freezer.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Also not particularly Cajun but I've been really digging Valentina hot sauce lately. It's not particularly hot but the flavor is fantastic - and as my heat tolerance has gone down, for me that's a feature not a bug.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Dik Hz posted:

Ok, so the beach I go to in NC reopened and I promised my wife I'd take her down there and cook for her. I'm definitely doing the shrimp and okra recipe y'all linked for me this weekend.

One other thing I want to do is a shrimp boil. I'm thinking andouille, corn, cajun seasoning, lemon juice, potatoes. Am I missing anything?

Other things I've seen thrown in boils with varying effectiveness have been asparagus, artichokes, and mushrooms if you just want more veg in there.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

poo poo, this thread just reminded me I still had some boudin in the fridge that needed to be consumed. Thanks for the lunch idea y'all!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I put andouille on the pizza I made yesterday. When do I get my air boat?

Did you say "Bam!" when you put it on?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Has anyone posted the drunk cajun cooking video yet?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Jesus that all looks good. I think you just convinced me to make etouffee tomorrow, since I have some celery that needs a purpose.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

ulmont posted:

Basically the natural peanut butter problem, sounds like.

Oddly enough I just ran into this the first time recently. Is there a solution, or is it simply a matter of using the jar fast enough/making a point of stirring it every day?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Doom Rooster posted:

Transfer the peanut butter to a 500mL beaker with a large stir rod. Leave it on a stir plate on high at all times. You’ll want to keep your house above 90f inside to allow for a viscosity capable of being vortexed.

Nah, just need to get a cover for the whole thing and leave it on the patio. I live in Houston, it's 90+ outside probably 9 months out of the year, just don't want it to get rained on.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Note to self: If you're planning on etoufee and the next time shrimp are marked "Shell and tail on" and come peeled and deveined anyway, pull out a couple links of andouille and make jambalaya instead. I've made etoufee without stock and was disappointed - Jambalaya didn't seem to suffer nearly as much.

No photos because my kitchen is a mess (tomorrow's job!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

If you can make the bread yourself and manage the overnight olive soak, you're 70% of the way there. I'm sort of curious where you are that suitable replacements for the rest couldn't be found for most of it, but that's me.