Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I am from New Orleans and this is a fantastic thread and now to my woes at living in Chicago. I made gumbo last night and I bought what I thought andouille sausage because you know the package said andouille sausage. It was not. Andouille Sausage under no circumstance will be "raw", anyway it ruined a huge pot of gumbo :(. It was disgusting it was like I put just unflavored sausage meat in there.

Also, if you cannot find Filet, a tablespoon of Thyme kind of has a similar flavor or at least aroma. DONT USE A LOT. Filet should be used but you can use some thyme a little bit and get away with it.

Now let's talk about Roux.

The initial post has a great Roux recipe and that's how you should cook it however if you keep burning the poo poo out of it. Here is a great "trick" for roux. Put the iron skillet in the oven at around 200 degrees and then add oil then add flour till it's a wet sand consistency just stir it every 2 to 3 minutes minutes. Add a little bit more oil than flour. If you have a small toaster oven and small iron skillet guess what you can use that. It may take you a few tries if you just keep burning your roux.

Another tip to roux , DON'T DUMP IT ALL IN AT ONCE. Get a cup of oil , and 1 cup or a little more of flour. Go by Teaspoons , add your oil to a iron skillet or thicke and let it heat up, then add another etc.. until it is all silky smooth. This will keep it from clumping up it will also get you the perfect consistency of wet sand which is what you want. You don't gotta use LARD , vegetable oil works fine. If you want a really amazing tasting roux, get duck fat. Yes , Duck Fat and make your roux with that. Same principle. You can also make Roux with Bacon Fat although really that's basically just lard. If you want to have a smokey flavor to your gumbo, you most certainly can. Just smoke your white meat, cook everything else normally then add the smoked meat( I like smoked duck) afterwords. Let it cook for a bit.

And now some tricks for gumbo.

Tired of Okra Seeds all up in your gumbo?

Cut your okra in half length wise take a spoon and drag it length wise to just scoop the seeds out.

Tired of your Shrimp falling to pieces?

Don't add your shrimp until the meal is done. Turn the stove down all the way to pretty much nothing, the gumbo shouldn't even be bumbling. Then put your shrimp in it. This makes it so you don't over cook your shrimp. Just wait for a little bit and your shrimp will cook.

Want a creamy flavor in your Gumbo? (Acquired taste)

When you are done with your roux add a 1/4 to a half of cream to the roux. This is also a base for several soups , I dunno my grandmother did this a lot. It's also a french sauce but the hell if I can remember it.

Want a even more awesome tasting roux that will make people love you more than life itself?

Use smoked butter to make the roux. You can buy this at specialty gourmet stores it can be difficult to find but is worth it.

Gumbo to soupy? Meaning you didn't add enough roux?

Get a half cup of flour and slowly mix in hot water until its smooth ( add the water last). Then add a teaspoon to your gumbo.

Also, if you use okra and Roux, you don't have to use Filet. You shouldn't use all three IE a combination of two of those, Okra and Roux or Okra and Filet , Or Filet and Roux (although that isn't gumbo). Filet, Okra and Roux are all thickening agents. Filet doesn't have a super pronounced flavor but you can tell if gumbo doesn't have it. Usually the Roux is going to have the strongest flavor.

Oh GOD MY ROUX I STILL BURN IT

Roux takes a long time to cook, if you still burn it extend the cooking time. If you are cooking it in 25 minutes you are cooking it to short, spend a longer time with it. It is definitely a acquired skill.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Dick and Jennies on Tchoupitalous (not sure how to spell that) , Jacques Mos , if you want the best barbecue on the gulf coats - Squeal BBQ. Definitely go to those first two the third if you want that.

Roast Beef Po Boys - Tracy's on Magazine street ( people will tell you Parasols, that's not true. See people bought Parasols and the cooks were just like gently caress it and took the recipes to Tracy's )

Verde Mart in the French Quarter - it's on Royal Street some of the best drat poboys in the world <--- GO HERE FOR SURE

Amazing Hot Dogs - Dat Dogs several places, Magazine and Freret St. Get the Crawfish Hot Dog topped traditional way not what you think. It's just amazing.

Pascal Manali - BBQ Shrimp New Orleans style - Best Oyster Bar in the City

Casamentos - If you don't go here then I don't think we can be friends ( May be closed check ahead of time they sometimes keep strange hours)

http://www.casamentosrestaurant.com/main/main.html

GO HERE GO HERE GO HERE and order the Chargrilled Oysters

You should also eat a Muffaletta

New Orleans also has some of the best PHO in the country as it has a very large Vietnamese population. I recommend Pho King in the Lost Love Lounge in the Marigny. Great "dive" bar with amazing food.

Want the best Deli Experience?

Stein's Deli - Amazing Deli on Magazine Street , just fantastic ( While there make sure to buy Arnaulds sauce to take home)

If you are in New Orleans on Halloween then go to All Ways Lounge. Seriously.

GO TO THE GROCERY STORE ROUSES ( also they have good food)

Buy RIVER ROAD SEASONING AS MUCH AS YOU CAN, it has mixes that are amazing for tons of New Orleans Dishes.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 21, 2013

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Believe it or not I forgot that you can in fact make vegetarian gumbo. It's made with vegetable oil as the roux and vegetable stock then just put a bunch of okra in it and add some tofu and whatever soybean "sausage" that you can find that has a smoke flavor added to it.

Also, Gumbo literally means Okra or Okra means Gumbo , so uh it's a key ingredient. Pretty much just put whatever "white" meat, and a sausage in it and crab or shrimp and it's gumbo. Squirrel meat or any fowl go well in gumbo. If you can't find andouille , substitute a smoked sausage , green onion sausage works as well.Forgot to add if you want a more seafoody flavor add half chicken stock half seafood stock.

Port of Call does have fantastic burgers.

For Jambalaya, here's crazy don't put rice in it, I've heard this as different names but most commonly coonass spaghetti. Basically instead of rice, get some bowtie pasta and make your Jambalaya with that instead of rice. Surprisingly very good.

I strongly advocate not cooking the chicken with the Jamabalaya, mix in everything but the chicken. Instead Smoke a chicken or go to a place that sells smoked chicken tear it up and then half way into the cooking process of the jambalaya dump the smoked chicken in there and finish cooking it. You will thank me.

Use a Pressure Cooker for Red Beans and Rice if you have it, it makes everything so much easier. Also whatever recipe was posted he used for red beans can be used for white beans. Just like Red Beans ,but with white beans.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Oct 21, 2013

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I was gonna say, the only andouille I ever see around here is that grocery store pre-packaged poo poo. I've used it before, but I feel there are much much better options. Got a bunch of good Polish places nearby. A good smoked keilbasa would do the trick?

Andouille is smoked pork sausage or even beef, that has onion garlic and cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes mixed in with it. There are many types but yes basically it's smoked pork sausage. Get a mild smoked hot link if you can't find Andouille.

Smoked Hot Links works in a pinch if you can find those. Basically any spicy smoked sausage works. A reliable place to get good andouille sausage I've found is Whole Foods.

Just make sure the sausage does not contain fennel. This is important do not buy sausage that contains fennel and put it in gumbo, you just put breakfast sausage in your gumbo and it's disgusting. On it's own good not so much in gumbo.

You can honestly go crazy with sausages , Andouille isn't neccessary, Jalapeno Sausage, Rabbit or Duck Sausage etc.. I wouldn't use a sausage that had cheese in it that's about it.

Raw Sausage and Gumbo what you need to know:

Some sausage doesn't come cooked or smoked. If you use this type of sausage in your gumbo it can be very very chewy and nasty. In fact all the flavor in the sausage just leaks into the gumbo.

How to fix!

Smoke the sausage yourself. If you have a grill , you can bastardize a smoker, get some woodchips a low heat and put the sausage off of the grill. Cook for a very long time.

Don't have a grill?

That's okay.

This is a step by step guide to smoking sausage in your oven

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/893335

Use this method.

Again, if you use uncooked sausage in your gumbo it's going to taste really chewy and basically gross.

Can't Smoke in your oven? Have no options?

Cook it on the stove in butter with a little liquid smoke added to the pan. After the sausages have cooked let them cool. Cut them up and cook again.

Add them to the gumbo at the end.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Oct 21, 2013

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

bolo yeung posted:

File and roux would be a file gumbo.

Gumbo without okra is still gumbo. Yeah I get it that gumbo comes from some West African word for okra, but definitions of things change. Also, a gumbo with okra and file without roux? I would say that THAT isn't gumbo.

I wouldn't imagine going to Lafayette/Acadia/St. Landry/etc. parish and telling some coon-asses that their pot of gumbo without okra isn't gumbo.

I do agree with not mixing file and okra. I can only imagine how weird that would be.

Them's fightin words. (It's a joke but yeah seriously lots of people have had the Gumbo isn't gumbo without Okra argument for like ever in the south, it's best not brought up in polite company.) I recommend Johnsonville Andouille sausage it seems pretty popular and readily available it seems. I can get it up here in Chicago.

It's time to put forth another signature dishes of Louisiana. The Meat Pie it's more a northern pride thing, but it still appears in southern Louisiana.

The meat pie is most famous in Natchitoches ( NAK EH DOSH), the town is famous because of the movie Steel Magnolias, it's meat pies, and old slave plantations.

Here's how you make it

The short version : It's biscuit dough, that is stuffed with usually pork, beef, peppers and deep fried. They are incredibly good.

Here's a recipe:

Make Biscuit Dough (Top Secret Recipe share with no one)

Please note this biscuit recipe is just a rough recipe I honestly couldn't give you the real measurements as it's made by eye and that's how I learned it. I figure this is the right proportion. It's a common thing in southern cooking to cook by eye.

5 cups flour, plus extra plus some morefor dusting
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 pound cold butter, cut up small
1/2 to 3/4s cup of Seven Up

Like I said this is all by eye, it should be a doughy ball and not to wet.

I'm going to tell you the southern method for mixing this up but if you have some other way make it that way.

Take some Cellophane and put it on your table then pour the flour on top of it, make a "well" in the center of the flour. Put in the butter. Put in the Seven up. Start "folding".

Folding means exactly that you "fold" the flour. Stick your hand and get some dry flour and plop it on top of the well, spread it out again and do it again and again. And again. And again forming a lopsided ball. This should take about 20 to 25 minutes and you'll eventually have your ball of dough. Set it aside with a damp cloth over it, I've never made biscuits any other way.

This should make like 16 to 20 meat pies , your mileage may vary. There is a step further on that I will explain.

Or you know use a mixer to make the biscuits or go to the drat store and buy biscuit dough because making biscuits that way is hard as gently caress. Just buy a brand that is bot butter flavoured or buttermilk. Just regular plain biscuit dough.

MEAT!!!

Any red meat is fine plus pork (rabbit can be substituted for pork, so can the following animals, alligator, frog). Just don't use fish or fowl and you're good. My favourite is venison and pork.

Again this by eye , honestly I know what goes in it but I always just shake it in the meat and figure this is probably the recipe. Just use your judgement

1lb of Ground Red Meat
1lb of Ground Pork
1 to 2 bellpeppers chopped
1 Yellow Onion chopped
1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons Paprika ( smoked or spicy hungarian, which is delicious can be used)
1 to 2 tablespoons of Ground Black Pepper
1 to 2 table spoons of Salt
A pinch to a half a teaspoon of Cayenne Pepper
A Dash to a teaspoon of Worchester sauce
A dash to a teaspoon of dried thyme
Some crushed up bay leaves that you throw in the garbage after you crush them because seriously you're not going to taste it.
1 diced Tomato
1 egg
a little flour

Mix all of that up really well. A good way to tell if it's spicey and flavorful is to get a paper towel. Then put your head over the bowl and smell if it kind of tickles your throat and nose it's good. Sneeze into the paper towel if necessary.

Set that aside

Get your meat pie biscuit dough.

Flatten it out.

Flatten out some more. You don't want this paper thin, I would say a good rule of thumb on thickness would be like two butter knives blades pressed together thick. Again it's by eye sorry. Now cut a circle in it. I use a a medium size can of tomatoes I turned into a biscuit cutter, but I'd say the circle should be probably 6 to 7 inches across.

Now here is where the bullshit starts:

Some people will tell you to cook all of that meat mixture up and then add it to the dough then cook the meat pie. Those people are evil and wrong. I don't care who told you to do that don't you cook that meat before you spoon it into the meat pie. You'll find out why very soon.

So Spoon like two tablespoons in the center of the meat pie, wet the edges of the meat pie and then fold it over and press lightly down on it with a fork. Congratulations you just made a coonass half moon dumpling.

If you need more biscuit dough make it. Just take the biscuit dough left overs and mix it up again into a ball and reflatten it, you may need to add some more water if it's dry.

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.

Heat a deep fryer pot with oil (important has to be a deep fryer pot) to 350 degrees. Fry them till their slightly golden brown usually 12 to 14 minutes, (if you keep getting "raw" meat your packing them too much, your meat pies shouldn't be more than half a inch to 3/4s of a inch thick). Now take them out and let them drain drain drain drain drain drain. In fact drain them until they are almost warm.

Optional : While they're still hot sprinkle Tony's on there.

Keep them warm in the oven on a roasting wire rack to make them drain more. No one likes a mouthful of oil.

The following sauce can be served with it.

Mayo w/ Siracha sauce

Or my favourite : Sauce

Sauce Recipe:

Equal Parts Ketchum, Mayo
Add Worchester sauce to the mayo before mixing the may should be slightly brown.
Add some ground pepper

That's it. I don't know where the hell this sauce comes from but for some reason it's super common at crawfish bowls and the "secret" sauce at a bunch of restaurants in the south.

A note on why that's so drat complicated

Southern or Cajun food has a fuckload of steps, almost all of it does. Why? Because that's what makes it good not just the food itself but the effort that went into it.

All those steps are really important and you should try and follow them. Another thing. gently caress around, seriously southern cooking is all about making it yours. No ones gumbo is exactly the same. No ones Jambalaya is the same. You want to add something to it do that.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Oct 22, 2013

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I don't know that is what my grandmother used in her biscuits, it just makes them taste better and it makes the dough expand more so they're just uh better. Have no idea why it makes them fluffier and better but that's what my grandmother used though.

Why does my grandmother insist on rubbing her hand with a piece of cut potato and burying in the yard when she makes a big dinner. gently caress if I know but if I have a yard and I'm making a big dinner I cut a potato rub my hand and bury it in the yard.

Some things in southern cooking are answered by just " Don't know, that's just how it's done".

It doesn't make it taste lemony, you'd think it would have some sort of lemon lime flavor but they don't.

edit:

Forgot to add if you make too many meat pies its perfectly okay to freeze them, just remember that if you freeze them it's best to let them thaw for a bit before cooking them in a deep fryer unless you want to have exploded grease in your kitchen.

Also that's just what she uses for the meat pie biscuit dough. The biscuits she makes different but still has seven up in it.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Oct 22, 2013

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Oh cool yeah my family is originally from Pineville and Rapides parish, I grew up further north when I was younger in Colfax and Rock Hill during the summers so meat pies were pretty common.

BBQ Shrimp New Orleans Style w/ Grits :

You have to buy this

https://www.fiestaspices.com/index.asp?page=rr_shrimpseasoning

That is BBQ shrimp seasoning. Its required to make this but once you order it and get it home you are good. Buy that brand. Do not buy another brand of BBQ shrimp seasoning, sorry that is your only option for BBQ shrimp seasoning that is New Orleans style as making BBQ mix is drat hard and I don't even attempt it.

Go to the store or fish market and buy Shrimp with shells and heads on them

The seasoning box you got will tell you how much shrimp to buy. Usually a pound per batch always go with a little less shrimp than is called for so you'll have a stronger flavor.

I always clean my shrimp I don't like shrimp poop!

That's okay theres a easy way to clean that shrimp and still leave heads and shells on in fact you want to cook it this way. Take a serrated knife and while holding the shrimp between your thumb and index cut the shell and into the shrimp itself to get the top vein. It's important to do this so that the sauce get's in the shell but the shell is still on there. If you have shrimp that's got a lot of whiskers cut those off.

Leave the shell and the head on the goddamn shrimp. Again leave the shell and the head on the goddamn shrimp. If you cook that without the head and shell it's going to taste bad. I don't know why.

When you cook these it's going to tell you to add butter and then worchester sauce , but also add a few cloves of garlic to that batch as well. The more garlic you add the spicier it's going to be.

Now for the grits

Instant Grits are fine if you want, here's what you do though.

Make the Grits with Seafood Stock. You should have a good amount of grits you want to have enough to slather on the plate but not like excessively.

That's it. That's the whole recipe make the grits with seafood stock.

After you cook the shrimp and it's ready, put your grits on the plate and spread it around. Then put the shrimp and some sauce on top of the grits. Have some french bread at hand for extra sauce. Also, have a lot of napkins and papers towels for peeling the shrimp.

The proper way to eat this is to peel the shrimp , eat them, suck the heads too! then use the french bread to mop up the mixture of grits and sauce left on the plate, but it's fine just as long as you eat this.

If you buy fighting shrimp do not suck the heads Fighting Shrimp have a little spike on the top of their head and it is often a little serrated. Don't suck on that. Fighting Shrimp I think are Vietnamese region shrimp but you can tell them pretty easily apart from regular shrimp. You can suck the head but if you do it fast you are going to end up with some blood in your mouth.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 22, 2013

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The Southern Dandy posted:

I'm from Pineville :colbert:

Cool, what year did you go to Pineville High?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

You graduated with my sister then. We probably know each other. SA is such a strange place sometimes. Did you ever go to Major League Cards and Comics over on HWY 28? My family went to Brother Roberts church the Pentecostal one.

Anyway yea weird.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 23, 2013

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Nothing says "Let's go have a good family dinner" than Piccadilly. Cool yeah I was one of the MAgic dorks there all through highschool.

Small world.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

THE MACHO MAN posted:

So I'm doing the gumbo on page 1 today. Couldn't find dungess crab, and the only other options were snow or king and gently caress that poo poo. The store I went to did have crawfish on sale, so I got those. How exactly should I be using these? They're still in the shell.

I hope you found out how to use these, but if you want to know crawfish are usually cooked in crab or shrimp boil or you can just cook them like a mini me lobster.

If you are using them in gumbo just peel the tail and get the tail meat out, you have to cook them first.

Speaking of gumbo, it's gotten cold in Chicago, I've got a duck defrosting in the fridge. Gonna make some duck and sausage gumbo. Probably stop by China Town or Little Asia and get a crab to throw in there along with some shrimp. Crab's just for flavor really.

I may have mentioned this but if you are making Red Beans and Rice make them in a pressure cooker if you have one.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Guys, I'm making Gumbo for 40 kids at the homeless youth center I volunteer at and I am freaking out. I hope it's good.

I got like two whole chickens
3 Lbs of Sausage

Got my ingredients, filet etc..

I'm just freaking out though.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

It went super well!! I fed 40 + People for like 75 cents a bowl. It was just chicken and sausage no seafood as we wanted to be careful budget wise and allergy wise.

The only thing I'd say was my roux wasjust complete poo poo. They have an electric oven and I just could not get the temp right. I'd either burn it or under cook but I had Okra and Filet so it was still thick. I ended up doing poor mans roux with just like a cup of flour and hot water to make it thicker.

Kids loved it, one kid came back for 5ths. Only one kid didn't like it, it was to spicey for him even though i thought it was bland. i ended up just like taking the meat and adding a cup of water to serve him though and he liked that.

Great day but exhausted but my hands smell AMAZING!! If you were to eat my hands right now they'd be delicious.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Honestly the best roux just in my opinion or I will fight you to the death with a shard of glass if you disagree are made with animal fat as it has more flavour especially duck fat.

Duck fat in particular has a wonderful flavour that it adds.

If you want a amazing roux gumbo you really need to purchase a decently sized large cast iron dutch oven. This way you can cook the roux in the pot that you are going to prepare the gumbo in.

The other one is smoked butter which is almost impossible to loving find, but you can make your own by cold smoking or simply adding liquid smoke (although it doesn't taste as good) to your butter and making the roux with that.

Also, that whole " Cook your vegetables in the roux" is bullshit, you just made it turn into paste. It's just not a good idea, because if you makea thicker roux you'll have difficulty when you add your vegetables. This also get's rid of the moisture that the vegetables are going to have, and will not "thin" your roux.

Simply cook your veggies in a seperate pot till the onions etc.. are translucent. Add your broth slowly to the roux and incorporate it then add your vegetables , meat, etc.. You should only do like 2 Cups, then see how tall in the Dutch oven that brings the broth and liquid to, only add liquid till you just cover the vegetables and meat.

Low and slow is the trick with Roux, pretty much the same philosphy as Risotto, your gonna stand there and stir it about once a minute every 30 seconds. You don't have to continually stir Roux, but you do need a long time to cook it. It will eventually start to brown , you can speed things up by a higher temp and stirring very frequently, then turning the heat very low , basically if it starts to smoke turn the heat down and keep stirring.

It just takes practice.

edit:

I'm pretty happy right now though finally found a nearby grocery that sells ham hocks so I made huge pot of Red Beans and Rice w/ Andouille( Johnsonville :( it's not bad though ) . I forget how easy Red Beans and Rice is to make.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 29, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Just used smoked sausage, beef is fine. Also you can make your own and smoke it if what you are finding is to expensive. I will say though Johnsonville's Andouille sausage is passable and usually very inexpensive.

Look for Johnsonville Andouille, it's not terrible.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

neogeo0823 posted:

Can I get some opinions on Trader Joes Andouille Sausage? I've used it before and I think it's pretty great, but the only other andouille that's not balls expensive, especially right now, is Johnsonville, so I don't have much to compare to.

Smoked Pork sausage is a perfect substitute , I'v never had Trader Joes but I've had some of their other sausage, is it cooked and smoked? Some people will sell sausage called "andouille" but it's not smoked.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

It's probably good to use then.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I actually prefer whole okra in my gumbos, dunno why just do.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Decided to make some Red Beans and Rice . From the south originally and now live in Chicago so it's kind of a trek to get some of the ingredients but totally worth it.

This is it cooking up

Finished Cooking

And Plated

How to make awesome Red Beans and Rice

Ingredients

Large Bell Pepper
Medium White Onion
3 Stalks of Celery
4 Cloves of Garlic
1 lb of Andouille Sausage
2 Medium Size Smoked Ham Hocks
1 Can of Chicken Broth
1 lb Red Kidney Beans
Pepper
Tony's Creole Seasoning
Rice

Thats it !

Step 1
Soak Kidney Beans minimum 12 hours ( I soaked for like 36 because I got busy over the weekend)

Step 2
Chop all the vegetables and Andouille Up

Step 3
Put all that in a pot with a bit of Butter
Cook until you see the "seasoning" of the Andouille coming out and the vegetables are softened

Step 4
Put in your Ham Hocks , take off the skin first. Cut off any meat that you can chop that up stick in there
Add some Pepper and Creole Seasoning at this point

Step 5
Put in the beans and add the chicken stock , then water until the water just covers the beans. Cook for about 45 minutes until the beans are soft. Stir during this time making sure nothing sticks to bottom.

Step 6 IMPORTANT PART

Remove about a bowls worth of beans, take out any meat in it, then take a potato masher and just go to town on those beans until it is basically a paste

Step 7
Put that paste back in with the rest of the whole beans stirring it occassionally on simmer. This is what makes it "creamy". Optionally at this step you could at a little bit of butter to that mash, but it's not super necessary.

Step 8
Make Rice while beans simmer

Step 9
Plate and serve with option topping of green onion and a side of cornbread

You will notice there is no ADD SALT and PEPPER . That's because all that stuff the Creole Season, Andouille, and Ham Hocks are pretty salty. If you add salt your gonna get really salty beans. So go easy on the Seasoning cause all the flavor is in the veggies/ sausage / ham hock. You actually don't really even have to season it that much.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 19, 2017

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Nhilist posted:

Easiest/best one pot recipe.

Cajun Pasta, or should this be creole (when I think creole I seem to always think tomatoes but not sure that is correct)...I get confused.

(Did not have room to add the old bay, heavy cream and parm and stock but you get the gist)

5 cups of chicken stock and brought it to a boil

Parm and cream and I just let it ride.

This is the dish I have eased my kids into the joy of cajun spices...the reason why there is no plating is because the little brats (think the wife was involved too) emptied the skillet to fast...I only got a few bites, oh well, next time.

There is a recipe entitled pastalaya but it uses bowtie pasta. I recommend trying it out Looks good though

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

If you visit New Orleans and don't eat at Dick and Jenny's on Tchoupitoulas then you are doing yourself a great disservice

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Green Beans go great in a crawfish boil their pretty common I guess with my family? I dunno my family does cauliflower, green beans , corn , potatoes.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

It's sacrilege but I've stopped making roux and just use Tony's Roux mix and that works out fine.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Johnsonville makes a chicken andouille that is well uh its passable. I was devastated when my local grocery stopped carrying Maxwell's andouille.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I couldn't wait til the weekend so I got everything to make gumbo tomorrow.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I just dump the frozen okra into the gumbo when i finish cooking the vegetables and it turns out fine.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah you can get away with Gumbo without Roux if you use fresh okra and filet powder. Usually Roux less gumbos have okra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Eh the totally not a real rule is that you use 2 of the 3 but not all 3 at the same time but also I use all 3 in my gumbo