Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
So there was a murder recently from a fight that started from an argument about a gumbo recipe.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/florida-state-mascot-killed-gumbo-argument-article-1.2275168

I want that recipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
My gumbo spice mixture is equal parts Old Bay and Rex Creole seasoning. The logic being the strong celery seed flavor in Old Bay goes well with the seafood and the actual celery being in the Trinity. And the Rex had a nice ingredient list, more complex than Tony Chachere's. They're both salty, so you basically salt-to-taste.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
drat, I haven't made gumbo in forever. Still probably the best thing I've made. Probably will once the the fresh red Cayennes come in in the garden.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I made a roux with straight butter recently and it went to a nice brown way faster than with vegetable oil. 1 stick butter (1/2 cup), 1/2 cup AP flour.

Did I actually make brown butter+flour and not a real roux?

Final result of gumbo tasted great still. I use okra and filé powder as well so there's no lack of thickening there.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Made a gumbo with a roux properly measuring it out and drat, the thickening power is way stronger than I thought. 6 oz of butter, 6 oz of flour. Before I just eyeballed the flour bc I didn't have a scale, I probably used way less. It was a nice light brown when I added the veg to stop it.

I meant to use AP flour, but I only had bread flour on hand. Does it make a difference?

Very thick texture and I think it made the gumbo more filling.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Ate 2 big lobsters as sort of a celebratory thing and boiled down the bodies afterward to make lobster stock. Thinking of using it for something Cajun-esque. I usually make Gumbo but I'm thinking going for Jumbalaya from-scratch. Would that be good?

Also, is Jasmine rice acceptable? I also have Basmati on hand, but I figure the former would be better.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I watched a recent episode of Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern he was in Louisiana. He was with this legendary old lady cook. She roasted her okra in the oven before using it in the gumbo. Anybody ever try a technique like that? My gumbo is probably the highest effort thing I make and it would definitely add a step, would have to be really good.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Was watching beat Bobby Flay and the chef challenged him on Chicken Gumbo and won, pretty rare for a challenger to win. She put potato salad made with creole mustard right in the bowl. Otherwise mostly traditional recipe. Weird choice but could be good. I think that would be fun to have on the side.

Bobby did a grab-bag of different techniques, blackened chicken, deep fried okra, dirty rice. I often like his approach but not here.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Maybe a dumb question but are fully ripe (non green) bell peppers ever used in the vegetable trinity?

My gumbo I make shrimp broth from the heads, tails, and shells first, then add the actual shrimp at the very end.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Also I've started putting the onions and peppers through the processor to get them really fine, I like the way the gumbo comes out less crowded and the things that are in it (meat, shrimps, whatever) can shine better.

I might start doing that. Bell peppers are a bitch to dice quickly.

I do roux (more brown than black), okra, and filé, with filé at the very end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Made gumbo again, it had been forever. Shrimp broth from heads tails shells, roux to a light brown, trinity+garlic, sausage, okra, shrimp at the end, cajun seasoning, old bay, filé powder, lemon juice and malt vinegar. Only real non traditional thing I did was finish with chopped culantro herb as well. Feel like it fits with the flavors.