Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bleedbackwards
Jan 13, 2008
weapon finesse: my dong
It's below 80 degrees in south Louisiana... time to pull out the long johns and make a gumbo!

I grew up eating a super barebones gumbo that my mom cooked. She only used onion and bellpepper (no celery) and okra or filé was unheard of. Onion+bellpepper, roux, chicken, sausage, and Tony's. That was it. (It still tasted amazing, I don't know how she did it.) I add celery (three stalks) to complete the trinity, and for seasoning I use a tablespoon of Tony's, 2-3 bay leaves, a teaspoon of thyme, and a quarter teaspoon of cayenne. Right before it's served I add a teaspoon or so of filé. Tomatoes? Where are you from, Shreveport? Get outta here.

I live alone so I cook a big pot and eat leftovers for lunch every day for like a week. Anyone who has eaten a gumbo can tell you that it's even better the second day after it's been sitting in the fridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bleedbackwards
Jan 13, 2008
weapon finesse: my dong

Breaky posted:

Haha! Nah man, Venice. Can't get much further out there. We tend to run with Okra / tomato over file in a lot of preps. Also use tomatoes in jambalaya, which was the only way I'd had it for years until eating out with some family in Ville Platte and being like "why is this so brown?".

That gumbo looks good man!, and yes, it is always better after a day in the fridge.

Interesting! I've lived in St. Martin Parish my whole life, and I've never known anyone around here to use tomatoes. I'd be willing to try it though, I'm sure it lends quite a different flavor.

bolo yeung posted:

Hell yeah, that was the exact gumbo I grew up eating (made by grandma). Only difference was she didn't use Tony's. Over the years I've tried to gussy up my gumbo with celery/garlic/cayenne/green onions/parsley/etc., but it's never as good as chicken, sausage, bell pepper, onion, and roux.

Crazy, isn't it? I used to cook my gumbo the same way but I decided to experiment with different ingredients and I think mine is better when I use everything. I think my mom's is still better than mine though.